Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I have seen it in so many places. Another one is "oh hey let's give every VM the max number of vCPUs because more CPU is more better than."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Matt Zerella posted:

But the Startup folder in the users app data/roaming/blahblah is missing. If I add a task to create it will windows just pick it up automatically?

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup might exist.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

mllaneza posted:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup might exist.

I completely forgot to update this. Turns out if you create the folder windows picks it up.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

I'm looking for some cheap managed switches that have a decent web interface as I won't be the only one touching them.

I'm considering the Cisco SG350 series but now Ubiquiti has peaked my interest. Anyone familiar with Ubiquiti switches? Also, I know they get setup via the controller software, but do they need a constant connection to the controller? Our locations are very rural with spotty internet connections and I don't want to have to put a controller at each location. Would Ubiquiti be a bad choice in this scenario?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

kiwid posted:

I'm looking for some cheap managed switches that have a decent web interface as I won't be the only one touching them.

I'm considering the Cisco SG350 series but now Ubiquiti has peaked my interest. Anyone familiar with Ubiquiti switches? Also, I know they get setup via the controller software, but do they need a constant connection to the controller? Our locations are very rural with spotty internet connections and I don't want to have to put a controller at each location. Would Ubiquiti be a bad choice in this scenario?

You can host the controller in The Cloud or in an externally accessible DMZ. A 5$/Mo digital ocean droplet can do it or a t3.small instance on AWS.

But no they don't need a constant connection to the controller. Just for the initial setup.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Cisco SG350 are being replaced with the Cisco CBS350. They can be cloud managed through the Cisco Business Dashboard which you need to deploy on a VM yourself, or managed via CLI or local web UI. They seem to be a rehash of the Catalyst 2960L series switches, though they don't run IOS.

They look really good for the money.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I'm gonna ask a ridiculously stupid question that came up at work the other day: Is there really no legal/licensed/approved way to install Windows 10 Enterprise on a PC that was built or delivered without a Windows license?

The whole discussion started when someone was asking about what to do with a NUC that was bought without Windows on it, and I told them to just PXE boot it and install the Enterprise image we use on our 1500+ PCs that were purchased with Windows 10 Professional on it, but apparently that wasn't good enough.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

evobatman posted:

I'm gonna ask a ridiculously stupid question that came up at work the other day: Is there really no legal/licensed/approved way to install Windows 10 Enterprise on a PC that was built or delivered without a Windows license?

The whole discussion started when someone was asking about what to do with a NUC that was bought without Windows on it, and I told them to just PXE boot it and install the Enterprise image we use on our 1500+ PCs that were purchased with Windows 10 Professional on it, but apparently that wasn't good enough.

Do you not have a license for your Enterprise install or how does this even begin to be a problem?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Volume licensed Windows are only upgrade licenses, for a company to deploy Enterprise the device has to have an OEM Pro license already.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
What SEKCobra said is what I too thought, what Thanks Ants said is what I was told.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/licensing/product-licensing/windows10?activetab=windows10-pivot:primaryr5

quote:

The following conditions must be met for a licensed PC to be eligible for a Volume Licensing upgrade license:
A licensed, qualifying Windows operating system must already be installed on the device that will be assigned the Volume Licensing upgrade license.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/2/d/1/2d14fe17-66c2-4d4c-af73-e122930b60f6/Windows10-QOS.pdf

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Yeah that is an upgrade license, but unless it has recently changed, you can just use a full enterprise license.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Huh, I'll be damned.

"Windows 10 Volume Licensing Guide posted:

Qualifying Operating Systems

Windows licenses available through Commercial Licensing are upgrade-only licenses (except for VDA licenses). They don’t replace the base "qualifying" licenses for operating system software that comes preinstalled on new PCs. Each PC that runs the Windows 10 Pro or Enterprise upgrade must first be licensed to run one of the qualifying operating systems identified below—otherwise the PC won’t have a valid, legal Windows license. If you don’t have a preexisting license for a genuine, qualifying operating system on your PC, see the Get Genuine options section in this guide.

Get Genuine Windows Agreement

The best and most cost-effective way to acquire full Windows licenses is through preinstalled licenses on a new PC. However, if you discover counterfeit software or have applied a Commercial Licensing Windows upgrade license without a qualified base operating system on your computers, there are solutions available through Commercial Licensing that can help remedy this noncompliant situation. To purchase the correct Windows 10 Pro licenses through Commercial Licensing, the Get Genuine Windows Agreement (GGWA) has two options: GGWA for Small and Medium Organizations and GGWA for Large Organizations. Academic customers can purchase Windows 10 Home licenses via GGWA for Academic Organizations.

Edit: interestingly, macOS is a qualifying operating system, so it's kosher to install Enterprise on a Mac without buying it a Pro license first.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

kiwid posted:

One thing I've seen online is that ubiquiti switches have QC problems, especially with POE, the issue manifests such that they kill your POE powered devices.

Not every device but enough that I'm going to roll ubiquiti at home for everything except a POE switch which I'm going to get an SG200 or 300 instead.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

SEKCobra posted:

Yeah that is an upgrade license, but unless it has recently changed, you can just use a full enterprise license.

I'm not aware that there is such a thing as a volume license that isn't an upgrade, was my point

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

MF_James posted:

One thing I've seen online is that ubiquiti switches have QC problems, especially with POE, the issue manifests such that they kill your POE powered devices.

Not every device but enough that I'm going to roll ubiquiti at home for everything except a POE switch which I'm going to get an SG200 or 300 instead.

AFAIK their PoE issues were only affecting devices using their wonky passive PoE mode, 802.3af/at was fine (to the point that they were even encouraging people using passive mode to buy their 802.3af adapters as preemptive avoidance).

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Toast Museum posted:

Edit: interestingly, macOS is a qualifying operating system, so it's kosher to install Enterprise on a Mac without buying it a Pro license first.

But there's also some licensing issues on the Mac side, IIRC, if you put a different OS on the machine.

I think, I might have this backwards somehow, and we were being charged for an Enterprise license for each Mac in the fleet because it had the "potential" to Boot Camp, even if we didn't? I dunno, it's been a poo poo week and my brain is mush.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
All you guys made me realize is that I am glad that I refused to go to a MS licensing event for my company. It's someone else's problem.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

wolrah posted:

AFAIK their PoE issues were only affecting devices using their wonky passive PoE mode, 802.3af/at was fine (to the point that they were even encouraging people using passive mode to buy their 802.3af adapters as preemptive avoidance).

That's good to hear since these switches I bought are going to be powering a bunch of 802.3at cameras and APs.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Here's a bit of a weird one:

There's a distribution group in Exchange called 'Department Heads'. Everyone who's in charge of a department, makes it on this list. Important email go to them, blah blah.

Now, there was a request to make a new file share called, "Department Heads". The same group of people are to have access to this share.

I tried to change the group from a distribution group to a security group, which worked, and then give permission for that group to have access to the file share. That part didn't work.

Is there something I'm missing? I didn't expect this to work anyway.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I'm pretty sure it is possible, and what you want is a security-enabled distribution group. Those may need to be universal groups, not just domain-local or global.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I definitely have a handful of distribution enabled security groups that work as advertised.

They were created new though, no conversion.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Imo it's a bad idea to use mail-enabled security groups because even though the list of names for the distribution list and file share overlap perfectly now, they may not later. Part of my AD cleanup before everything blew up required decoupling some of those into two separate groups because needs change over time.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

The Fool posted:

I definitely have a handful of distribution enabled security groups that work as advertised.

They were created new though, no conversion.

They were created in Exchange Admin Console, then just simply changed to Security Group with this radio button:

And it automatically changed to Universal group

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

klosterdev posted:

Imo it's a bad idea to use mail-enabled security groups because even though the list of names for the distribution list and file share overlap perfectly now, they may not later. Part of my AD cleanup before everything blew up required decoupling some of those into two separate groups because needs change over time.

I agree - management thinks that the administrative assistant who managed the mailing list could then manage permissions on the file share

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

klosterdev posted:

I've always done mail-enabled security groups instead of distribution groups, because it is a nice logical differentiator. If there are instances where they don't line up to file permissions or some other permissions, I would create a more specific group in those instances. Just keeps user provisioning simpler, in my experience.

Bob Morales posted:

They were created in Exchange Admin Console, then just simply changed to Security Group with this radio button:

And it automatically changed to Universal group

Change it to Global, unless you have a specific reason for having it Universal.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
Do vendors not realize its pretty fucken annoying to call someone everyday over a $3000 dollar quote? On top of that, go and call the director after I am ignoring your calls.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

lol internet. posted:

Do vendors not realize its pretty fucken annoying to call someone everyday over a $3000 dollar quote? On top of that, go and call the director after I am ignoring your calls.

Yes, and I have seen a multi-million dollar deal blow up over that last part. Not the ignoring calls bit, but a sales guy went above the head of the guy managing the purchase and the poor sales guy got eviscerated. I cannot imagine how much money he lost on that deal.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
We are in the process of building a new location, so a poo poo ton of cold calls started and even some from established vendors soon as they got wind of it.

I let them know I would not be gathering ANY quotes until mid-October. Many have ignored this and have instead been calling every week or so since August.

If I recognize the caller ID as a repeat offender, I have just been transferring them to Rick without even picking it up. (we have an IVR extension that does nothing but play everyone's favorite Rick Astley song on a loop). Need to look at the stats and see how long they wait before giving up....

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

On topic: https://github.com/pjf/rickastley

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

I know what number I'm forwarding unsolicited vendors to from hereon out

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
Anyone doing mail exclusively in O365?

Right now we're doing barracuda before it hits O365.

An advantage i see with the appliance is it holds mail if there is any sort of issue and delivers afterwards. With O365 there shouldn't be an issue in o365 and you can also open up actual emails to look at.

On the O365 mail flow message trace you need to select a specific recipient, i can't just say show me all accepted email to my domain and then filter it that way. Also can't open up emails to look at header and content potentially. Unless I'm not looking in the correct spot.

Also anyone do a hybrid upgrade from 2010 to 2016? Any recommended reads or documentation outside what's on the msft site?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Don't you have a higher probability of problems receiving email if you have something with less than 100% uptime sat in front of Office 365? Since they both now need to be up for email to work?

There are probably reasons I'd use services like Mimecast, but improving uptime wouldn't be a feature I'd go looking for.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

You can still have a mail hygiene appliance between O365 and the outside world without having to have the device on-prem, you just need to move to a virtualized cloud appliance.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We have on prem Cisco ESA for spam and we're moving to Cisco CES which is cloud only. So far it's pretty great.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

klosterdev posted:

I know what number I'm forwarding unsolicited vendors to from hereon out

It really makes my day when scum of the earth credit card processors call. I gladly let them know that "Rick handles that, let me transfer you". Occasionally they even ask for his last name, which I happily give. And then off to extension 7002 they go.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

The whole thing is really unfortunate because the thing-in-itself is truly a gem of mid-80s pop music, IMO?

:shrug:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I guess in the 80s there was a lot of other music around that hasn't sort of survived in the popular consciousness, but every single Stock Aitken Waterman song that is still around today sounds the same as the next one. There was a great documentary that Jeremy Deller put together with archive footage and you can see the moment in at the turn of the decade when it hits Pete Waterman that the world has shifted around him.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I'm not saying it's necessarily good but it's p.def one of the purest in terms of obeying the forms of Kanly 80s Pop?

E: Although, "cards on the table" (as the kids say these days), I'm never gonna give it up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Not sure if this should go here or another thread but hopefully someone can point me at a solution.

I need to enable HSTS on an IIS8 box. I've got the header put in, but it's not responding with the header on a 404. Is there any way to force IIS8 to return custom response headers on errors?