Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Crow Sting.

Although I think Hulk Hogan is a more successful gimmick than Undertaker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

If your talking about mix of cartoon/over the top with pro-wrestling than after the Undertaker your looking at Tiger Mask and Liger

As actual wrestling gimmicks Undertaker is way behind El Santo

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
It’s tricky to separate the gimmick from the wrestler.

I might say Ultimate Warrior. The sheer insanity of his presentation helped cover up many shortcomings.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

I would argue that Undertaker is the best example of making a poo poo gimmick work instead of being the best gimmick. You put the ridiculous giant tie on almost anyone else and they're gone in six months to a year. They were lucky Mark decided to make the gimmick his life and really bought into it or it would have absolutely flopped.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_JTzEppKy8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rblh_0d7Qlw

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

NikkolasKing posted:

Undertaker is often said to be the best/most successful gimmick ever in wrestling history.

Who is second place and third place and so-on?

Tiger Mask and Jushin Thunder Liger both have to be up there.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

NikkolasKing posted:

Undertaker is often said to be the best/most successful gimmick ever in wrestling history.

Who is second place and third place and so-on?

Maybe not the most successful, but the Big Bossman character has to be up there. Then you'd also have to look at gimmicks like The Road Warriors and The Rock-N-Roll Express, which I'd argue are more successful than the Undertaker's, purely on the sheer number of imitators they inspired.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Davros1 posted:

Maybe not the most successful, but the Big Bossman character has to be up there. Then you'd also have to look at gimmicks like The Road Warriors and The Rock-N-Roll Express, which I'd argue are more successful than the Undertaker's, purely on the sheer number of imitators they inspired.

For similar reasons you have to at least entertain an arguement for Gorgeous George (not the WCW lady, the original one).

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

SiKboy posted:

For similar reasons you have to at least entertain an arguement for Gorgeous George (not the WCW lady, the original one).

True

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Is El Santo a gimmick because he got all those movies and comics and so forth

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Gimmick is kinda a broad term? Isn’t every wrestlers’ character a gimmick?

Is the Undertaker more of a gimmick than Hulk Hogan’s character? Or Steve Austin? Biker-taker at least was less of a gimmick than either of those.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Davros1 posted:

Were the Road Warriors a gimimck, ever? They borrowed their look from Mad Max, but they were just two Minnesota tough guys billed as two Chicago tough guys with spikey shoulder pads.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

What are some matches that you were hyped for because the booking was so strong for everyone involved going in that you really didn't know what was going to happen?

- Crush vs. Yokozuna. I was a big Kona Crush mark as a kid and WWF did a good job of protecting him well enough for as long as that face gimmick lasted. The only major loss he had was Doink, thanks to trickery and weapon use. Going into the USS Intrepid bodyslam challenge, he was the clear favorite as a way to distract from Luger's sudden face turn. So when they announced Crush vs. Yokozuna for the title a week in advance, I really had no idea what to expect and I was pumped.

In the end, it led to Crush's injury angle and heel turn where he and Yokozuna became a team. He did get a clean win over Bret Hart out of it, at least.

- Ahmed Johnson vs. Vader. Before both guys' careers imploded, there was a time when this came off as a major irresistible force vs. immovable object bout. Ahmed was being pushed as the next big thing. Meanwhile, Vader was still being treated as an absolute killer and the most vicious heel in the company. Had things worked out differently, this could have been one of the company's biggest money matches at the time. Here, I believe it was a King of the Ring qualifier.

It ended with Ahmed having it won, only to be taken out by Owen Hart with a top-rope cast shot while the ref was distracted. This gave us the infamous Ahmed/Goldust mouth-to-mouth follow-up.

The match happened a couple more times after that. Months later, they had a Shotgun Saturday Night bout that ended with Mankind interfering. Months after that, Ahmed cleanly beat Vader because Vader's career was eating poo poo just slightly more at that point.

- Pentagon Dark vs. Matanza Cueto. The second season of Lucha Underground built towards a title match that was honestly a bit too big. Earlier in the season, Matanza hosed up Pentagon so badly that he needed to be rebuilt. Pentagon went under a transformation that was coinciding with the feel that he was going to eventually be the ace of the company. At the same time, Matanza's title reign felt like it needed more time to breathe before ending. They put together a huge match where neither man was in a position to lose.

What we got was a weird match where Pentagon acted like the hoss, throwing Matanza around. Matanza still won, thanks to interference, but looked beatable for the first time. Pentagon reacted to his loss by beating the hell out of his manager Vampiro. When Matanza did lose the title, it was in a far less pleasing way than if he just dropped it to Pentagon.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Red posted:

Were the Road Warriors a gimimck, ever? They borrowed their look from Mad Max, but they were just two Minnesota tough guys billed as two Chicago tough guys with spikey shoulder pads.

I think it could be considered a gimmick since they inspired so many to rip them off.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Dacap posted:

Gimmick is kinda a broad term? Isn’t every wrestlers’ character a gimmick?

Is the Undertaker more of a gimmick than Hulk Hogan’s character? Or Steve Austin? Biker-taker at least was less of a gimmick than either of those.

I'd argue Biker-taker isn't less of a gimmick than Stone Cold, it's literally the SAME gimmick.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Stone Cold preferred vehicles with 4-wheels, so um actually, you’ll find they’re totally different gimmicks.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Stuff like Stone Cold, Inoki, and even Andre are all gimmicks even if some of the people are so deep into them they live it as real life. The Undertaker though is the biggest example of a gimmick that is very much 100% cartoon and actually working for a long time

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

I'd argue Biker-taker isn't less of a gimmick than Stone Cold, it's literally the SAME gimmick.

Eh, I dunno. Stone Cold worked because it was a classic story of, well, class. A Blue Collar working man against his tyrannical boss.

Biker Taker was an "average Joe" who loved him some motorcycles and his chew and had a foul mouth but I'm sure there have been a lot of gimmicks like that. I don't think the anti-authority working man but this all just describes The Sandman who people have said Austin ripped off. But the heart of Stone Cold seems pretty different from the heart of the Biker Taker gimmick to me.

IronCladBurrito
Aug 11, 2002

Excuse me, is this where the bitches are found?

Since Dominick has made his real debut as a WWE Superstar™, I've revisited the "Lineal Custody of Dominick" championship.

It was last listed here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3898193&pagenumber=19&perpage=40#post499134671

Cagematch is woefully incomplete. Taking Cagematch alone at it's word, Elias would still actually hold custody. Outside of the Royal Rumble, and a single no-contest with Shinsuke at a house show in January, Elias has actually won everything he's participated in since winning custody according to Cagematch.

However, his history stops after the first round of the recent IC Title tournament. IDK why.

I actually had to go to WWE.com to work out what happened -- Elias beat Corbin in round 1, but subsequently lost to AJ Styles. (AJ Styles's match history on Cagematch misses this too.)

I'm going to count this as a title change on 19 May 2020. Still an impressive 9-month run.

2019/08/20: Elias
2020/05/19: AJ Styles (estimated date)
2020/05/26: Drew Gulak
2020/07/02: AJ Styles
2020/08/21: Jeff Hardy

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Has there ever been a female wrestler that has had a male valet? Like an obviously beautiful scantily clad man? Dalton Castle has his boys but has a woman ever done this?

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

Has there ever been a female wrestler that has had a male valet? Like an obviously beautiful scantily clad man? Dalton Castle has his boys but has a woman ever done this?

Penelope Ford and Kip Sabian come out as each other's valet/managers.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

i think police/polize in Oz Academy is a stooge for the heels

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

The Beautiful People had Cute Kip (Billy Gunn) as their valet in TNA.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

So the two most prominent male valets were both called Kip.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

PMS (Pretty Mean Sisters) had Sean Stasiak under the name Meat

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

IronCladBurrito posted:

"Lineal Custody of Dominick"

Other than the fact that's a thing in the first place, the most interesting thing about this is that it's never gone back to Rey. I wonder if Dominick will ever win Lineal Custody of himself.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Plenty of the girls of WOW do this.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

oh but seriously I posted:

i think police/polize in Oz Academy is a stooge for the heels

POLICE isn't really scantily clad though; he just tries to get involved in all of Seikigun's matches and normally ends up looking like a massive fool which is great; since that's what POLICE is great at. Dude managed to somehow make a 22+ year career as a manager in Joshi wrestling; have to respect that.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Is it fair to go back and say those contemporaries who dismissed ECW as garbage wrestling and a fad were entirely 100% correct and not just old fogeys? With that said given at the time those vritucs were drowned out of me in my youth being like "its so aedome" only for none of it to hold up do we run that risk again of dismissing critics when history will vindicate them?

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Lid posted:

Is it fair to go back and say those contemporaries who dismissed ECW as garbage wrestling and a fad were entirely 100% correct and not just old fogeys?

In terms of the in-ring product? Sure. But ECW's overall presentation was something multiple companies ripped off for years afterward and it, along with the booking, made a lot of those guys look way better and more important than they actually were (Public Enemy being the primary example of this). Not to mention that ECW's loudest critic booked a promotion that used some of the same wrestlers and was also super trashy, but in a 1980s way as opposed to a 1990s way.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
I shouldve stated that - yeah i meant in-ring.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
They had valid pts when it came to garbage wrestling up to a point, but ECW was smart enough to offer other stuff.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Like THE NIGHT KIMONA WANALAYA DANCED ATOP THE ECW ARENA

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

In terms of in-ring, some of the best wrestlers of the late nineties passed through ECW. Yes, there was some absolute trash, but there was also Psicosis vs Rey Jr from the days when Rey's knees worked, Jerry Lynn vs RVD, Tanaka vs Awesome, and Super Crazy vs Tajiri.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Lamuella posted:

In terms of in-ring, some of the best wrestlers of the late nineties passed through ECW. Yes, there was some absolute trash, but there was also Psicosis vs Rey Jr from the days when Rey's knees worked, Jerry Lynn vs RVD, Tanaka vs Awesome, and Super Crazy vs Tajiri.

Not to mention Chris Jericho and Mick Foley and the Dudleys, all of whom went on to draw money elsewhere.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Who do you consider to be a "lifer" in WWE? As in, you would be shocked by them choosing to leave and equally shocked by them being released?

There's obvious answers like Seth Rollins. I'd also say that Bray is given enough creative freedom and gets the results WWE is looking for often enough that neither he or they will get unhappy with the situation. Baron Corbin simply wouldn't survive in the outside world and there's something about him WWE adore, god knows what. I think he's there until he retires from the ring.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I don't really see any particular non-lifers aside from people who might get released one day and have no choice but to leave, or people who are using WWE as much as WWE is using them like Brock. edit: Like, they will do what they have to do to hold onto The New Day and other talents seen as non-evil, and all of those people like KO, Cesaro, Zayn, etc. would already be gone if they didn't want to stay. As for people who will defend WWE to their dying breath, Charlotte, Titus, Miz

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Aug 25, 2020

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

They had valid pts when it came to garbage wrestling up to a point, but ECW was smart enough to offer other stuff.
From what I remember, the most common diss on the ECW guys who went to other promotions was that they were short.

Considering the way WCW and especially WWE treated workers, they probably didn't want to say anything about lousy matches, unhealthy practices, and rampant drug abuse on air.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Lid posted:

Is it fair to go back and say those contemporaries who dismissed ECW as garbage wrestling and a fad were entirely 100% correct and not just old fogeys? With that said given at the time those vritucs were drowned out of me in my youth being like "its so aedome" only for none of it to hold up do we run that risk again of dismissing critics when history will vindicate them?

I dunno, it was what it was. It relied far too heavily on the walk and brawl but even saying that I'd argue it is too strong to say they were 100% right. They had a point to some extent but god I'd sooner watch a random episode of Hardcore TV than about any other weekly TV show in the last 30 years of US wrestling.

Was Sabu a perfect wrestler? Nah. Does he stand up next to modern high flyers? Clearly not but if you take him in the context of the time he was revolutionary and the botches and such was entirely a part of the appeal, he was so loving wild and uncontrollable.

ECW radically changed TV wrestling in the US by making it cool which you cannot overstate considering how chronically uncool WWE is these days. The presentation side of things is really where they had the most impact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lamuella posted:

Who do you consider to be a "lifer" in WWE? As in, you would be shocked by them choosing to leave and equally shocked by them being released?

There's obvious answers like Seth Rollins. I'd also say that Bray is given enough creative freedom and gets the results WWE is looking for often enough that neither he or they will get unhappy with the situation. Baron Corbin simply wouldn't survive in the outside world and there's something about him WWE adore, god knows what. I think he's there until he retires from the ring.
Roman, Bray, Seth, maybe the Usos (though I think they could find work elsewhere if they wanted), Nia Jax, Braun, Alexa, Carmella, Charlotte, Dolph, Kane, Corbin, Lacey, Mandy, Natalya, Orton, Sasha, Sheamus, Miz, Undertaker,