Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I knew GManLives was full of poo poo when he reviewed Romero's Sigil and called it amateurish. He was also using some godawful GZDoom config that made it look way too dark, and then complained that it was way too dark. He was incredulous that it "didn't even use any Doom 2 assets".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the dipshit was so eager for clicks on youtube that he hamfistedly shitted out a video as soon as possible on sigil and showed his rear end on how bad he is at it

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
It does seem like some of whatever shine Gman or GGGman or GGGGGGGGGGman or whatever had has been dimmed over the last year or so between the Sigil video, insisting that launch-era Fallout 76 was good, and just the whole thing with other Retro FPS-centric Youtubers rising to greater prominence and taking some of the spotlight away. Maybe it's just the ever-changing circles I float in, though...

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The Kins posted:

insisting that launch-era Fallout 76 was good

Jesus christ how do you come back from that.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

Jesus christ how do you come back from that.

Playing the victim and saying it was a joke. Standard chud playbook.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

al-azad posted:

Playing the victim and saying it was a joke. Standard chud playbook.

Victim of what? Liking a game? What playbook are you cribbing from right now?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Victim of what? Liking a game?

Stockholm Syndrome.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

ICARUSLIV3S does what GGGmanlives does better in every way

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Aug 24, 2020

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

wafflemoose posted:

ICARUSLIV3S does what GGGmanlives better in every way

I appreciate the recommendation, I will be checking out this person's videos now.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Mr Icarus is probably the best of them because he focuses on Doom mods, but also he mostly focuses on Doom mods.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I love Doom mods. I'm at a point right now where I've been trying out a lot of different oldschool shooters but somehow all of them feel like crap when directly compared to Project Brutality. Like for instance, Quake 2's double barreled shotgun doesn't seem nearly as impactful as I remember it being. I think it needs a much beefier sound effect.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
anyway icarusliv3s is good cause he actually focuses on showcasing doom mods without either le epic skits (civvie) or some pasty rear end nerd talkin about things being badass like a gearbox intern (gman).

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.

I think you people are nuts. Perhaps you've heard of this Early FPS game called Half-Life? I wouldn't be so eager to defend the guy if I hadn't been listening to his videos for the past couple weeks and am positive that you are all full of poo poo. There's some bizarre virtue signalling going on here.

you don't have friends in this thread, pal

cuc
Nov 25, 2013
Not on this thread's topic, but relevant to the discussion: Jarek The Gaming Dragon is another youtuber better than Gman. He mostly covers the modern/military half of the FPS genre, and actually has interesting things to say from time to time.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBwPL58BonPg_I1mQbwHXEA

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

ETPC posted:

you don't have friends in this thread, pal

I'm deeply sorry. Would you be so kind as to provide a ETPC approved list of youtubers that I can view without fear of judgment? I don't want to engage in any wrong think. Please accept me into your fold.

Anyways I see that Hellbound came out recently. Has anybody gone in and cares to comment about it?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Sounds like you might enjoy Richard Spencer or one of the many qanon channels

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Pull up, thread.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

site posted:

Sounds like you might enjoy Richard Spencer or one of the many qanon channels

:wtc:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

I'm deeply sorry. Would you be so kind as to provide a ETPC approved list of youtubers that I can view without fear of judgment? I don't want to engage in any wrong think. Please accept me into your fold.

:getout:

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
it warms my heart that doom is probably the most progressive game/fanbase in existence ITYOOL 2020

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Tim Thomas posted:

it warms my heart that doom is probably the most progressive game/fanbase in existence ITYOOL 2020
Depends on where you look.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Both of those statements can be true at once which is itself a really sad commentary on the state of video games

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Did you miss this?

Volte posted:

GmanLives doesn't go to great lengths to hide his 4chan-friendly opinions

https://twitter.com/Ggdograa/status/1162551964036562944

The replies, strangely enough, don't seem to be in on the joke.

Please indulge me, joke explainer.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

was my post unclear

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
just put the weird culture warrior dude on ignore and move on, he's not going to change his dogshit opinions so constantly posting at him is useless

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008

The Kins posted:

Depends on where you look.

haveblue posted:

Both of those statements can be true at once which is itself a really sad commentary on the state of video games

yup

like at least there's the progressive side to doom, not the least of which because a significant amount of content comes directly from what are typically underrepresented groups

al-azad
May 28, 2009

So what's the deal with Project Brutality vs. Brutal Doom? I have heard one criticized over the other for various reasons, something about drama from the creators, but I mix the two together even though I think they're different idk.

Only thing I know about Hellbound is gman immortalized next to Dave Oshry as an in-game statue so that's a big lol from me.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
iirc brutal doom guy is a brasilian who said things in his code that would be construed as racist in the US (i'm being *exceptionally* generous here), and used actual images of dead people for an older brutal doom

brutality is the project that tried to get away from that bullshit

(note: going hard-R is decidedly racist but there was one thread of "but he isn't from here and doesn't knooooooowww" during the initial uproar, as if brasil isn't a place rife with its own racism problem, but there you go)

Tim Thomas fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Aug 24, 2020

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Tim Thomas posted:

iirc brutal doom guy is a brasilian who said things in his code that would be construed as racist in the US (i'm being *exceptionally* generous here), and used actual images of dead people for an older brutal doom

brutality is the project that tried to get away from that bullshit

Are they both just gore mods? I thought brutality was something else as well.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Aug 24, 2020

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
nah both also try to bring CoD-style modernism to the firearms and movement, which admittedly they both do well if you're into that sort of gameplay

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I think Project Brutality also tries to beautify Doom 2 by making the levels look less abstract like junk vehicles in the city levels.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Tim Thomas posted:

nah both also try to bring CoD-style modernism to the firearms and movement, which admittedly they both do well if you're into that sort of gameplay

Uh I wouldn't call them "CoD-style" outside the fact that some guns have largely extraneous sights. If anything they feel more...UT in a way?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I’ll try Brutality after I go through all the official stuff vanilla, well with 60fps.:)

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008

Mordja posted:

Uh I wouldn't call them "CoD-style" outside the fact that some guns have largely extraneous sights. If anything they feel more...UT in a way?

i was thinking more in terms of damage output and tacticoolness

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

al-azad posted:

So what's the deal with Project Brutality vs. Brutal Doom? I have heard one criticized over the other for various reasons, something about drama from the creators, but I mix the two together even though I think they're different idk.

Only thing I know about Hellbound is gman immortalized next to Dave Oshry as an in-game statue so that's a big lol from me.
Brutal Doom is a popular gameplay mod by Sgt. Mark IV, a Brazillian edgelord with a penchant for questionable statements, audio mixing and coding practices. Probably better at mapping than he is at keeping friends and collaborators, TBH.

Project Brutality is one of various Brutal Doom forks that takes the mod in different directions, I don't know enough about it, TBH, except that Mark had some real beef with it for some reason at some point and made a mapset of his deliberately mess up if you combined the two, which is pretty funny.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Seconding IcarusLives - great channel. My biggest "issue" with most youtubers is how damned lengthy they can be. Civvie is great, but the dude goes way too in-depth for what I'm interested in.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Me talking about UT and mods with really fun shooting reminds me that Ballistic Weapons is back. A new team has been collating, polishing, and overhauling a bunch of disparate content into the Ballistic Weapons Complete Collection.

Looks like you gotta join a Discord to get it for now tho.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Aug 24, 2020

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
If you're not following Decino, you should. Playthroughs of insanely hard maps and extremely deep dives into obscure game mechanics all filtered through a Dutch accent so thick you need a double-bladed chainsaw to cut it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7J8vJTpPNo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3O9P9x1eCE

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
god i wish there was a new UT

i understand that epic is presently much preferring rolling in their filthy lucre from their tech-demo-turned-mega-hit, but c'mon, give us UT2020 with the career mechanics of a 2K NBA game please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The Kins posted:

If you're not following Decino, you should. Playthroughs of insanely hard maps and extremely deep dives into obscure game mechanics all filtered through a Dutch accent so thick you need a double-bladed chainsaw to cut it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7J8vJTpPNo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3O9P9x1eCE

Seconding Decino. I've learned a lot of how doom works in general, both in the gameplay and pure technical part. And yes, he punishes himself with hard as balls content so we can just see someone descent into madness.