Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

w00tmonger posted:

Anything I need to know going into putting together an old Warhammer black coach?

I havent assembled and painted a metal model for ages

Pin that thing everywhere you think it'll need it and then a few places you don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

richyp posted:

My second airbrush attempt and my 2nd tank in the last 20 or so years (and this week).

I always wanted to do a traitor guard army but I hated brush painting vehicles, this was much more pleasant to do.

This is excellent.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Magnetized fighty robit.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

w00tmonger posted:

Anything I need to know going into putting together an old Warhammer black coach?

I'm pretty sure that thing was infamously crap to build, so uh... have fun :v:

Like moths said it'll probably be more pin than metal by the time you get it to stick together.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I’m moving soon and need something to transport my plastic toys in. The biggest and most fragile mini I have is Arkhan the Black model, so it needs to be able to at least hold him safely in place. Any recommendations?

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
so i'm painting these tiny wood elves from Forest Dragon. (the prints are from Printing in Detail, and are extremely excellent)

random thoughts and questions:
1. Does this paint scheme work? I like but I don't want them to look like dark elves
2. I need to improve my brush control for these. They are a challenge to paint!
3. I don't like my base. The sculpting sand is too organic looking next to the ultra smooth, detailed printed minis. I wish these minis had some printed bases they could insert to with details in the same style. Maybe I can make some greenstuff grass rims or something?

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

My first attempt at a marine. I can see why people like airbrushing for these, getting flat panels to look nice is hard.

Also, unfortunately, I wasn't the freehand prodigy that I'd hoped (it's supposed to be an hourglass :v:) and my edge highlighting needs work, but it was good practice.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

looks like an hourglass to me tbh

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

jesus WEP posted:

looks like an hourglass to me tbh

Thanks, I think I might just be a bit annoyed with the proportions. Think I'll try to make it a bit more slender next time.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I may have already asked about this, but is there a good way to make power swords using the following range of blues and whites?

Thousand Sons Blue
Ahriman Blue
Temple Guard Blue
Baharroth Blue
Calgar Blue
Macragge Blue
Fenrisian Grey
Ulthuan Grey
White Scar

I feel like I bought all the ingredients for blue-ish power weapons but don't know how to put them together...

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Nebalebadingdong posted:

1. Does this paint scheme work? I like but I don't want them to look like dark elves
3. I don't like my base. The sculpting sand is too organic looking next to the ultra smooth, detailed printed minis. I wish these minis had some printed bases they could insert to with details in the same style. Maybe I can make some greenstuff grass rims or something?

1) I know cameras can change the colors slightly, but it looks like you're using purple and teal? What you've got looks nice so if you're happy with it I'd keep it; but if you're not you might want to darken the purple cloaks, or maybe switch to a dark blue cape instead, or possibly even switch the purple to a reddish plum color like the one on my Atlas's shoulder pads?

3) I use green stuff for basing all the time (lay some down pretty thin, use a tinfoil ball or a clean rock to give it texture), but I've never done minis that small so I'm not sure if the same techniques would work. Here are some things that might be worth trying:

3a) You could make your own texture paste with baking soda and (I believe) PVA. There're tutorials for it on the internet, and I imagine you could control how thick and gritty it is by limiting how much baking soda you use.

3b) You could also try laying down some smooth green stuff. After it dries, add a couple of blobs of super glue to the surface and then roll a wet toothpick over the glue to harden it. By using a rolling motion you'll stretch and pull the surface of the super glue as it hardens, but that might make a 'bigger' texture than you're wanting. I used that technique to make the rust on this gaslands car:

3c) Lay down your green stuff, smooth it out, and once it dries spread a little PVA over the surface. Carve little channels into it with a toothpick and the PVA dries it will spread out a bit and form little bumps and ridges conforming to those channels. Go back in and reinforce some of the channels you carved as the glue spreads out and you'll get some nice, subtle surface variations that won't look gritty at all. The only issue is with PVA is it will be very thin which means the surface can be a bit brittle, if it peels or cracks you may need to try to get a drop of super glue under it. If any superglue squeezes out use the 3b method and roll it out and nobody but you will ever notice!

All three bases use the 3c method. The Catapult (painted guy)'s base is very subtle, but you can see where the higher ridges picked up my drybrushing "advanced BattleMech painting technique." On the two unfinished ones the PVA peeled a little so I had to reinforce it in places with some super glue, so they got a little of 3b mixed in.
I threw down some agrax to make the texture more visible:

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Aug 23, 2020

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Still got the sorcerer to finish but fancy a break from marines and will paint my demons for a bit.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Professor Shark posted:

I may have already asked about this, but is there a good way to make power swords using the following range of blues and whites?

Thousand Sons Blue
Ahriman Blue
Temple Guard Blue
Baharroth Blue
Calgar Blue
Macragge Blue
Fenrisian Grey
Ulthuan Grey
White Scar

I feel like I bought all the ingredients for blue-ish power weapons but don't know how to put them together...

Skim a few tutorial videos but I think the main idea is that you want the core to be the brighter hotter color and then it darkens as the edges go out? I know some people also paint alternating lights and darks to give it the idea of pulsing.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Nebalebadingdong posted:

so i'm painting these tiny wood elves from Forest Dragon. (the prints are from Printing in Detail, and are extremely excellent)

random thoughts and questions:

1. The paint scheme rules. Keep it, all of it, and please show more.
2. While not wrong, I think the way you've painted them works. At a distance people will be able to make out colors and details, and at that scale its the most important thing to keep in mind.
3. I mean, I like the way it looks, but I get'cha. Maybe some flock over it instead of sculpting?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Professor Shark posted:

Thousand Sons Blue
Ahriman Blue
Temple Guard Blue
Baharroth Blue
Calgar Blue
Macragge Blue
Fenrisian Grey
Ulthuan Grey
White Scar

Do the sword like normal, grey base, shade in all the dark bits, lighter grey and white highlights. Basic glow effect is to take the darkest blue you want for it and paint the desired glow area then take the next lighter blue and paint a smaller area within it then keep going in a smaller area until you hit your desired max brightness. With a power sword you generally don't want to go all the way to white except for some very small bits because they tend to have a more ethereal pale glow than being a lightsaber but it's your model you can do it however subtle or bright as you want!

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013

Professor Shark posted:

Thousand Sons Blue
Ahriman Blue
Temple Guard Blue
Baharroth Blue
Calgar Blue
Macragge Blue
Fenrisian Grey
Ulthuan Grey
White Scar

Try wet blending? Just a bright blue and a white and make many thin layers starting from each end . It takes a long time since after you have mixed they should ideally dry and you need to make like 20 thin layers.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

PoptartsNinja posted:

1) I know cameras can change the colors slightly, but it looks like you're using purple and teal? What you've got looks nice so if you're happy with it I'd keep it; but if you're not you might want to darken the purple cloaks, or maybe switch to a dark blue cape instead, or possibly even switch the purple to a reddish plum color like the one on my Atlas's shoulder pads?

3) I use green stuff for basing all the time (lay some down pretty thin, use a tinfoil ball or a clean rock to give it texture), but I've never done minis that small so I'm not sure if the same techniques would work. Here are some things that might be worth trying:

3a) You could make your own texture paste with baking soda and (I believe) PVA. There're tutorials for it on the internet, and I imagine you could control how thick and gritty it is by limiting how much baking soda you use.

3b) You could also try laying down some smooth green stuff. After it dries, add a couple of blobs of super glue to the surface and then roll a wet toothpick over the glue to harden it. By using a rolling motion you'll stretch and pull the surface of the super glue as it hardens, but that might make a 'bigger' texture than you're wanting. I used that technique to make the rust on this gaslands car:

3c) Lay down your green stuff, smooth it out, and once it dries spread a little PVA over the surface. Carve little channels into it with a toothpick and the PVA dries it will spread out a bit and form little bumps and ridges conforming to those channels. Go back in and reinforce some of the channels you carved as the glue spreads out and you'll get some nice, subtle surface variations that won't look gritty at all. The only issue is with PVA is it will be very thin which means the surface can be a bit brittle, if it peels or cracks you may need to try to get a drop of super glue under it. If any superglue squeezes out use the 3b method and roll it out and nobody but you will ever notice!

All three bases use the 3c method. The Catapult (painted guy)'s base is very subtle, but you can see where the higher ridges picked up my drybrushing "advanced BattleMech painting technique." On the two unfinished ones the PVA peeled a little so I had to reinforce it in places with some super glue, so they got a little of 3b mixed in.
I threw down some agrax to make the texture more visible:

i really want to avoid grit/noise for this minis. i made this:

its not cured yet so im smoothing and picking at it. i feel like i should make a mold of it instead of making a new base for each stand. something like this would probably better of being printed tho

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
More tiny map-scale robits! And tiny map-scale lighting effects!

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space

w00tmonger posted:

I built one last fall, and happened to take some pics.

This one is a little small, but there is a bit with the wraith and chair all pinned together

Then this is how I constructed the coach itself. I'd suggest putting the four coach parts together with rubber bands, then drill the holes up through the bottom into the walls.

This was my subassemblies for painting. Notice the hole in the front middle of the coach- that is where I drilled for the driver/chair to slot in. The horses are pinned to the yoke, and a pin from the yoke to the bar is helpful too. I used pins in the bottom of the wheels and a couple of the horse feet to attach it all to the base. The top was simply glued on. I also glued the coffin into the back, but left the lid loose.

Feel free to ask any questions. That thing was a pain in the rear end but worth the effort.

Skails posted:

Painted up this black coach that had been collecting dust for 20 years.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
Is there a goon-approved Best Way of dealing with Space Marine shoulder pads when airbrushing? I get the impression that if I glue them on before priming, as a newbie I'm going to inevitably end up spraying the shoulder color on other things later (particularly backpacks that I've already glued on on all of my current models :smith:). Conversely, I expect I'm gonna have a bad time matching the zenithal highlights of the model if I keep the shoulder pads separate until the end.

Spelling it out like that, I guess for future builds leaving the backpacks off, putting the shoulder pads on for priming and highlighting and then rigorously masking everything around the shoulder when layering them is the most sensible solution?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Mask with Silly Putty is probably the easiest way to do it.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Badly Jester posted:

Is there a goon-approved Best Way of dealing with Space Marine shoulder pads when airbrushing? I get the impression that if I glue them on before priming, as a newbie I'm going to inevitably end up spraying the shoulder color on other things later (particularly backpacks that I've already glued on on all of my current models :smith:). Conversely, I expect I'm gonna have a bad time matching the zenithal highlights of the model if I keep the shoulder pads separate until the end.

Spelling it out like that, I guess for future builds leaving the backpacks off, putting the shoulder pads on for priming and highlighting and then rigorously masking everything around the shoulder when layering them is the most sensible solution?

Check this guy's channel, he doesn't have nearly enough views on his videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezj-8jFpVwc

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Considering how many annoying tiny details are on this guy, I'm not mad at how this commissar turned out

edit-- man these things look so much worse zoomed in compared to holding it in my hand

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Aug 24, 2020

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
I like the comissar, just finish the face a bit more and he is perfect. I always find it hard to do colors from the same scale and have it be distinctly different like red and pink and yellow and gold.

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007
I'm sure everyone is pretty sick of Indomitus models by now, but they sure are fun to paint.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Crossposting form the oath thread. Painted one of my favorite sculpts!
Was sort of a practice/experiment with painting different textures.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Badly Jester posted:

If I have the option I do the backpack, both arms, and the head of Space Marines by themselves and assemble after painting. To keep the highlights lined up, just do a test assembly to identify the direction you're going to zenithal from then take them back apart. You could also just use a tiny bit of blue tack to put the parts in generally the right spot while you zenithal, either way works.

This isn't always possible though especially with the monopose stuff from the big box sets. Shoulderpads are often connected to the main body, but thankfully it's not that hard to stay close while spraying and always consider the angle you're spraying from. The way they are designed on most Marines you really don't have to worry about hitting any of the rest of the model if you're just a little careful.

But like mentioned, some silly putty or masking tape is a pretty easy solution and it shouldn't take much to protect the part you're worried about. I have not had to do it on any of mine yet though, even using black and red on pads/body. I do the body first and completely finish the red, then I come back and do the pads with the airbrush, and the ridges on the pads with a normal brush.

Paddyo posted:

I'm sure everyone is pretty sick of Indomitus models by now, but they sure are fun to paint.

Never get sick of seeing awesome models painted well!

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

Crossposting form the oath thread. Painted one of my favorite sculpts!
Was sort of a practice/experiment with painting different textures.

That red is wonderful.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Test scheme, missing a blue crystal on the base and a fade blade. I think it needs something to break up the gun or body more but I don't know what to do.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

MRLOLAST posted:

I like the comissar, just finish the face a bit more and he is perfect. I always find it hard to do colors from the same scale and have it be distinctly different like red and pink and yellow and gold.

"Finished" the face and base and redid the plasma coils. And tweaked a little of the highlighting. Pretty darn happy with this guy all things considered.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

goodness posted:

Test scheme, missing a blue crystal on the base and a fade blade. I think it needs something to break up the gun or body more but I don't know what to do.

Maybe extent that bone color to that middle chest plate? I like the scheme though!

For the gun you could maybe add another splash of color with some brass / copper accents on the gun - maybe the exposed tubing bit in the front / ribbed tubing in the back or that threaded piece at the back of the barrel?

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

"Finished" the face and base and redid the plasma coils. And tweaked a little of the highlighting. Pretty darn happy with this guy all things considered.

Looking good! The uniform especially came out really tight.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

tangy yet delightful posted:

Got my Spiritstone Red paint in end of last week and last night finished up my first paint scheme model for my new army. Now to crank on 4 more of these for a full unit in the worlds smallest assembly line.

Oh and have a loin cloth pic too - note to self glue this on before you glue the arms and gun on next time.

Cross-postin' here, thanks for all the inspiration, this thread has put out some awesome work lately.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Paddyo posted:

Looks amazing! I refuse to be sick of Indomitus until mine hits and I get to paint some.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Zarbag's Gitz, 4/9 done!

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I painted a bunch of stuff for Riot Quest, a game I've never gotten to play thanks to the end of the world and all:

Also a couple of regular WMH models:

I reshot my MCP stuff, along with a bunch of new MCP, but I'll save that for another day I suppose. Did enough image spam already.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

tangy yet delightful posted:

Cross-postin' here, thanks for all the inspiration, this thread has put out some awesome work lately.

Did you prime white for that? That smooth coverage on the head is really nice. Digging those gems too.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Did you prime white for that? That smooth coverage on the head is really nice. Digging those gems too.

It's gray primer with a bunch of thin coats of wraithbone over it, I tried to take another pic to show there is some texture there but for brush-on I think it's pretty decent.

And thanks, a youtube video said to put silver and then the Spiritstone red but I tried that versus a Mephiston red base coat and went with the red, seems to be more gem like to me.

Lasting Damage
Feb 26, 2006

Fallen Rib

goodness posted:

The gun definitely needs to be a different color from the warrior's body. Even a neutral grey or something might do the trick.

Can't remember if I've posted in this thread before, but I wanted to start sharing some stuff I've been doing because this thread is really cool and full of great paint jobs. First is this Phobos Captain I painted up. The original idea was for him to be named special character, which is why I made a few customizations.

I also just painted this single ork in a sudden urge to resume work on my deathskulls. Tried out a few new tricks on him to help speed up my process, so it takes me only 3 hours now to paint a single boy instead of, uh, like 6 or something.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
Thanks for the advice, everyone.

Furism posted:

Check this guy's channel, he doesn't have nearly enough views on his videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezj-8jFpVwc

Yeah, there's some good stuff on that channel. His first video was uploaded only four months ago, though. Maybe he'll reach critical mass eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Very much a work in progress, trying out a new brand of metallics that my LGS just stocked:

I'm really happy with the transition between the red-bronze and the gold on the body, but it's extremely hard to see that the wings are actually green. With my LED lamps shining directly on it in person you can see it, but in any other light they just look black.

I was thinking of adding some thin coats of a Createx Auto-Air Pearl Green that I bought and have't yet used, but color theory ain't my bag and I'm not sure how good green-gold-red will even work? I guess it'd be a metallic rasta dragon :v:

Also what's a black that coats really well? I bought some Army Painter black and it's so thin it doesn't cover well at all. I think I've heard the new Abaddon Black from GW is also not as good as whatever their old black used to be called?