Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Tim Thomas posted:

god i wish there was a new UT

i understand that epic is presently much preferring rolling in their filthy lucre from their tech-demo-turned-mega-hit, but c'mon, give us UT2020 with the career mechanics of a 2K NBA game please
They started a new UT in 2014, and dropped it practically the picosecond Fortnite BR took off. It was extremely underdeveloped and you're not missing much, sadly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I'm deeply sorry. Would you be so kind as to provide a ETPC approved list of youtubers that I can view without fear of judgment? I don't want to engage in any wrong think. Please accept me into your fold.

Anyways I see that Hellbound came out recently. Has anybody gone in and cares to comment about it?

I have no clue wtf ETPC is and decided to Google it, and I'm actually really glad I did for a change.

https://tractorpulling.com/

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
oh yeah decino is fuckin great, and all his videos about the inner workings of doom are really cool. he even goes into the code and explains it to us non carmacks

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Holy crap I can't believe the perennially delayed Minecraft-zombie-survival part of Fortnite, you know the actual core game, was officially released as a paid product less than a month ago.

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe
RE: Brutal Doom, I played with it through Maps of Chaos (Overkill version) and just had a blast, and it got me back into Doom something fierce. Maps of Chaos is kind of a "vanilla plus" reimagining of the old Doom I and II maps balanced for Brutal Doom gameplay and I highly recommend them if you're looking at playing BD for the first time. Pretty sure they work with Project Brutality as well.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
It works very well with Project Brutality yeah. I'd recommend it over Brutal Doom.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away

Phetz posted:

RE: Brutal Doom, I played with it through Maps of Chaos (Overkill version) and just had a blast, and it got me back into Doom something fierce. Maps of Chaos is kind of a "vanilla plus" reimagining of the old Doom I and II maps balanced for Brutal Doom gameplay and I highly recommend them if you're looking at playing BD for the first time. Pretty sure they work with Project Brutality as well.

they work best with russian overkill imho

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
i like Project Butality more than Brutal Doom

It's as mentioned a fork of BD not sure in what ways byt it runs great and plays well with tons of mods

I find it fun to cover all surfaces with blood and viscera of da demon hordes also it makes it feel like a tougher game

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Project Brutality has the kick-rear end fleshy demon gun that requires so many souls for ammo. BD is just an expansion of vanilla, really, but PB uses that as a base to throw in all kinds of neat stuff.

I wish more mods had weapons like that demon rifle.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

The Kins posted:

They started a new UT in 2014, and dropped it practically the picosecond Fortnite BR took off. It was extremely underdeveloped and you're not missing much, sadly.

Yeah and this probably means that UT as a franchise is dead for good. It was already on life support for a while anyway but with them officially pulling the plug on UT4 it suggests that Epic has no interest in bothering anymore. I can sort of see where they're coming from - Arena shooters aren't exactly the big thing in 2020, but it still sucks.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Agreed about Project Brutality. I'm not sure what the exact differences are in regards to the shooting, but I do know if you try UV on Project Brutality and UV on Brutal Doom, for some reason Brutal Doom is a lot harder and not in the fun way. Brutality though is excellent, also agreed about Maps of Chaos. Although I'm stuck on Map 11, that poo poo is insane.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Aug 24, 2020

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I’ll try both PB and BD. I’m not surprised a guy that makes a ridiculous gore mod is a piece of poo poo but it’s not like I’m giving him money.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah and this probably means that UT as a franchise is dead for good. It was already on life support for a while anyway but with them officially pulling the plug on UT4 it suggests that Epic has no interest in bothering anymore. I can sort of see where they're coming from - Arena shooters aren't exactly the big thing in 2020, but it still sucks.

Honestly I loathed UT3’s aesthetic and story mode enough that I was lukewarm on it coming back. It’s weird that the franchise that brought Epic into prominence is dead now. Seems like there’s no love lost for Unreal - it’s just a thing they did and they’re past it.

Granted, if I made a money press called Fortnite I might not give a gently caress either.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Putting aside all the talk about youtube personalities. Here are three cool new(ish) doom releases people really need to check out:

If you liked Scythe, check out Glaive II for seven short levels filled with scrappy, somewhat mean encounters. It also nails the look perfectly and has a very nostalgic quality.

The french community have put out a beta for their community megawad 180 minutes pour Livre. There's a clear difficulty progression throughout for those who are into that and there isn't a duffer in the set imo. The maps themselves are all pretty short and some of them are really hard. There's two new monsters which are unique to this set and honestly quite good: A cacodemon that shoots a rapid fire string of imp fireballs and follows it up with a massive volley of mancubus fireballs and the Heresiarch from heretic who shoots a gigantic wall of projectiles in a wide arc around themselves. The new cacodemon variant is particularly good because it has roughly the same amount of health as a normal cacodemon and the relatively high pain chance means you can interrupt their attacks before the really dangerous volley if you are fast enough.

I can't remember if I posted about this one in the past, but the Doomer Pro Boards people have made a really nice set of levels with a Lovecraft influence called Dead but Dreaming. What makes this set particularly cool is how it's explicitly designed for nightmare difficulty only! A really interesting change of pace from normal set of levels. Every level is a frantic scramble to figure out where to go next before the monsters come back and honestly, they all work really well without being horrendously punishing or stuffed to the gills with hitscan bullies.

I stole all those thumbnails from Doomworld. That fireblu map Gateway to Shangri-La that Kins posted about was also pretty good and has a certain nauseating beauty.

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe

catlord posted:

Project Brutality has the kick-rear end fleshy demon gun that requires so many souls for ammo. BD is just an expansion of vanilla, really, but PB uses that as a base to throw in all kinds of neat stuff.

I wish more mods had weapons like that demon rifle.

I need to jump on PB, have they updated it recently?

I've been distracted with Final Doomer lately, playing Lost Civilization with the Plutonia weapon set. It was :discourse: but I'd like to try something a little less subdued.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Mordja posted:

Me talking about UT and mods with really fun shooting reminds me that Ballistic Weapons is back. A new team has been collating, polishing, and overhauling a bunch of disparate content into the Ballistic Weapons Complete Collection.

Looks like you gotta join a Discord to get it for now tho.

Jesus they’re back? We’ve talked about their mods before but the suite of Ballistic Weapons mods for UT2k4 are some of the most diverse, satisfying, and well-animated community weapons I’ve ever seen. Hell they put a lot of weapons in AAA-games to shame.

Regarding Brutal Doom, I’ve always run with a weird personal Frankenmod version of it that I modified and put together myself. I think it’s based on a variation of BD version 19 with added enemy/level bright maps and tweaks and weapon sprite replacements, plus the reintroduction of a few weapons like the revolver and rail gun. It’s been years since I cracked open its guts and can barely recall the specific changes, but it’s a lot “slimmer” and more straightforward of a product than Project Brutality.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Hasturtium posted:

Honestly I loathed UT3’s aesthetic and story mode enough that I was lukewarm on it coming back. It’s weird that the franchise that brought Epic into prominence is dead now. Seems like there’s no love lost for Unreal - it’s just a thing they did and they’re past it.

The new one really had promise though. Granted it was kind of a weird approach that was not guaranteed to work, with the sort of crowdsourced approach. But it needed a shake-up and that was as good as idea as any. Some of the maps looked really promising.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Phetz posted:

According to Doomwiki, the newest version is currently in beta, but apparently playable.
One other significant aspect of Project Brutality is that it adds a whole lot of monster variants that can randomly replace normal monsters if enabled; I don't think Brutal Doom does that. The Doomwiki page linked above has the whole list.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Sir Lemming posted:

The new one really had promise though. Granted it was kind of a weird approach that was not guaranteed to work, with the sort of crowdsourced approach. But it needed a shake-up and that was as good as idea as any. Some of the maps looked really promising.

Yeah, I'd install UT4 every six months or so, play a few rounds, love it and think, "Boy I can't wait until this game is finished. Imma get real into this game when it's finished!"

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

You guys should play Quake Champions for arena multiplayer. It’s pretty good now imo.

Diabotical doesn’t look very interesting to me but I’ll give it a try when open beta starts soon. I think I’ll rather stick with a real Quake game for arena MP.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Aug 24, 2020

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Phetz posted:

I've been distracted with Final Doomer lately, playing Lost Civilization with the Plutonia weapon set. It was :discourse: but I'd like to try something a little less subdued.

I dunno, it's been a while since I played it. I've also been all-in on Final Doomer lately. Been working on Hellbound, though I need to update my GZDoom, given that I doubt my saves would work, I wanted to wait until I got to a good spot to jump back to.

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

Sir Lemming posted:

it was a legitimately good UT game somewhere between 99 and 2k4 in terms of weapons/gameplay without the bad ut3 aesthetic. it sucks that Fortnite killed it and we won't get an onslaught or assault mode for it (the reason to play UT instead of QUake)

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Yeah I liked the look. A bit sleeker and cleaner but still UT.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The Kins posted:

And now they're bankrolling Diabotical instead of investing in the arena shooter IP they already own

Ironic given that Diabotical is derived more from Quake than UT

beta starts on september 3rd btw

koren
Sep 7, 2003

SeANMcBAY posted:

I think I’ll rather stick with a real Quake game for arena MP.
Agreed, that's why the gamer's choice is still vq3/ql, cpm or quakeworld. If you are particularly weird you can get into quake 4 or 2 I suppose...

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SeANMcBAY posted:

I’ll try both PB and BD. I’m not surprised a guy that makes a ridiculous gore mod is a piece of poo poo but it’s not like I’m giving him money.
fun fact they brought him on as a consultant for do4m

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i just want tribes: ascend back. it was fine at the end after the parting patch. it was okay

weeps into hands

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

SeANMcBAY posted:

You guys should play Quake Champions for arena multiplayer. It’s pretty good now imo.

Diabotical doesn’t look very interesting to me but I’ll give it a try when open beta starts soon. I think I’ll rather stick with a real Quake game for arena MP.

there's way too much downtime and long queues in QC. upwards of 5 mins (queue + loading + prematch + endgame screens) between unranked TDM matches is whack. if you like CLan Arena at all it's even worse because of the added wait time between rounds. and because of that the mode is dead since everyone wandered back to Quake Live

idk how large the diabotical betas were but you got in and out of games fast. it also has some interesting takes on gamemodes and no gameplay unlocks. last test weekend the real tryhards showed up and were giving the chat a severe case of gamer AIDS but what can you do. looking forward to the open beta.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Squeezy Farm posted:

there's way too much downtime and long queues in QC. upwards of 5 mins (queue + loading + prematch + endgame screens) between unranked TDM matches is whack. if you like CLan Arena at all it's even worse because of the added wait time between rounds. and because of that the mode is dead since everyone wandered back to Quake Live

This is a good point. I hate how loving long it takes to get into a game. I tried Quake Live a few nights ago and it seemed completely dead. I had much better luck with Vanilla 3.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

koren posted:

I can't remember if I posted about this one in the past, but the Doomer Pro Boards people have made a really nice set of levels with a Lovecraft influence called Dead but Dreaming. What makes this set particularly cool is how it's explicitly designed for nightmare difficulty only!

I'm interested in trying this. You can play any wad in Nightmare, but the idea of a wad designed for Nightmare play, with the designer taking in account the mosters respawn, is pretty unique and potentially can do novel stuff. And it ties well into the idea of Lovecraft, to have a enemy who can't be killed and you only can run away.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Do Brutal Doom and Project Brutality require a somewhat powerful computer to run?

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

I like Quake Champions but there are basically no players in South America.

And the few that are are just too good.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
What do you guys think about Reflex, does it also suffer from the issue of players being too good so it's hard to get into?

koren
Sep 7, 2003

It suffers from the problem of there being no players at all. There's still a very small community of people who play race mode (like defrag) and you can get pickup games but eh, it's long dead.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
Ah okay, that's sad to hear. :(

Last time I even thought about the game it was still in early access and I was holding out on buying it until the full release, then I forgot about it for several years.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Do Brutal Doom and Project Brutality require a somewhat powerful computer to run?

I can’t speak for Brutality, but I’ve seen Brutal Doom run passably on a Raspberry Pi 3. So unless you’re dragging around an original Atom netbook you’re probably set, and maybe even if you are.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

releasing a niche multiplayer game into the void of steam with no marketing isn't a winning move unfortunately

diabotical has to contend with not being on steam, but as a result of the deal they made they can afford to make the game free, do actual marketing, and host tournaments with decent prize pools to get eyes on the game

there's no guarantee it will work but better to try something different than repeat a strategy that failed miserably

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Volte posted:

GmanLives doesn't go to great lengths to hide his 4chan-friendly opinions

https://twitter.com/Ggdograa/status/1162551964036562944

The replies, strangely enough, don't seem to be in on the joke.

I looked at his Discord server one time, and was immediately bombarded with uncensored anti-black slurs. I have images saved on my other computer.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Warfork has roughly double that I guess, it's a, well, fork of Warsow which I was always bad at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
im sad reflex died so hard because it was the first and really only quake like i played online with people and it was a lot of fun

worth noting about that number btw is that a lot of people still playing reflex are playing reflex race, the games version of defrag maps, by themselves

reflex race is very cool by the way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nmmq88haKLk

round 6 in there is a completely insane and obtuse map worth watching the individual round results for, by smile who also authored one of the maps in january jumpjam i believe