Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

JT Smiley posted:

Just binged Infinity Train to day and all I can say is gently caress Simon! I can't remember the last time a show has made me hate a character this much. Definitely not looking forward to his eventual redemption.

I think Simon's gonna go the same way like Amelia where he'll be broken down and be sent away or flee on his own, but his final fate may be unknown while we get to see Grace either exit or start her path to exiting. And if we do see Grace actually leave the train, we might get to see what happens to someone who spends more than a token amount of time on the Train

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Sharkopath posted:

Now watch Amphibia!!

Tempting

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Boba Pearl posted:

Is Owl House this good? What about that show about the cat?

They're both very different shows tonally. I would describe Owl House as being fairly similar to Gravity Falls, and while I don't watch Mao Mao, my understanding is that it's a very lighthearted, episodic show.

I can't really think of any cartoons that have had the weighty themes and emotional gut punches that Infinity Train pulls. Maybe Steven Universe comes close sometimes?

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Oh poo poo, I just realized: Amity is stuck at home with a broken leg.

Amity is stuck at home with a broken leg.

Which means there are two possibilities here:

1. The cat's out of the bag to her parents wrt the shift in her social circle.

2. She's now having to actively lie to them to keep up the facade, or at least feed them half truths.

...I guess there's also the extra heartbreaking option 3: The Blights are so disinterested in their daughter's wellbeing that they haven't even bothered to ask about her leg.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Cattail Prophet posted:

Oh poo poo, I just realized: Amity is stuck at home with a broken leg.

Amity is stuck at home with a broken leg.

Which means there are two possibilities here:

1. The cat's out of the bag to her parents wrt the shift in her social circle.

2. She's now having to actively lie to them to keep up the facade, or at least feed them half truths.

...I guess there's also the extra heartbreaking option 3: The Blights are so disinterested in their daughter's wellbeing that they haven't even bothered to ask about her leg.

I figure the Blight Twins will be ratting her out if it suits/amuses them at some point. I mean, next season, since obviously the one ep. we have left is going to be pretty busy.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

"Amity, how did you break your leg?"

"Uh, I fell down some stairs?"

"Fell down some stairs?"

"Uh, fell down some stairs while putting a Kick Me sign on Willow's back as befits my status as a Blight?"

"Ah, yes, that's my girl!"

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
So apparently a live action Powerpuff Girls show is being made for the CW, Craig McCracken would be rolling in his grave except he's still alive

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

drrockso20 posted:

So apparently a live action Powerpuff Girls show is being made for the CW, Craig McCracken would be rolling in his grave except he's still alive

I dislike this greatly!

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Madurai posted:

I figure the Blight Twins will be ratting her out if it suits/amuses them at some point. I mean, next season, since obviously the one ep. we have left is going to be pretty busy.

The twins seem to like Luz well enough, at least as an interesting curiosity. And Willow is no longer weak, so it might not really matter anymore.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

drrockso20 posted:

If they aren't still bizarre mutants with gigantic eyes and no fingers then it will be a betrayal of the highest sort.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

drrockso20 posted:

"In the updated version of the series, the titular superheroes are now disillusioned twentysomethings who resent having lost their childhood to crime fighting. Will they agree to reunite now that the world needs them more than ever?"

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I'm dreading the CW take on Him.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Senerio posted:

I'm dreading the CW take on Him.

It's going to read 100% drag queen and I could see it going either way.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

If the Gang Green Gang shows up, I hope Ace talks about his time as the bassist for the Gorillaz.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Proof: https://deadline.com/2020/08/the-powerpuff-girls-live-action-series-diablo-cody-heather-regnier-greg-berlanti-the-cw-1203021883/amp/

This sounds like it’s going to be terrible (much like the other attempts to revamp the franchise such as the Japanese created Powerpuff Girls Z and the recent cartoon) but I am kind of curious how the hell they’re going to pull half the stuff in the series off in live action.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Larryb posted:

much like the other attempts to revamp the franchise such as the Japanese created Powerpuff Girls Z
I thought this was an urban legend for years and years until the dub showed up.

It's a fascinating thing at the very least. Extreme Japanese Spider-man energy.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Funky Valentine posted:

I thought this was an urban legend for years and years until the dub showed up.

It's a fascinating thing at the very least. Extreme Japanese Spider-man energy.

I saw the subbed version just recently, it’s watchable for the most part but it didn’t really capture the spirit of the original that well in my opinion.

Speaking of which, how was the dub? Did they get back any of the actors from the original series?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

The problem with PPGZ is that when they asked Craig McCracken how to handle it he told them to make it as different from the original as possible, which resulted in Z being the blandest and most by the book Magical Girl series to have ever been made in the history of Anime that does absolutely nothing right, there's a reason they never bothered to bring it to the US in any form whatsoever even though it did decently well in Japan, it would do as well as a lead balloon here

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

drrockso20 posted:

The problem with PPGZ is that when they asked Craig McCracken how to handle it he told them to make it as different from the original as possible, which resulted in Z being the blandest and most by the book Magical Girl series to have ever been made in the history of Anime that does absolutely nothing right, there's a reason they never bothered to bring it to the US in any form whatsoever even though it did decently well in Japan, it would do as well as a lead balloon here

But they did? An English dub does exist apparently.

Also why did Craig specifically tell them to make it as different as possible from the original?

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Beachcomber posted:

The twins seem to like Luz well enough, at least as an interesting curiosity. And Willow is no longer weak, so it might not really matter anymore.

This presumes that Willow being "weak" was ever actually the problem, and not just a convenient lie that the Blights tell themselves to justify their classism.

Agreed that it doesn't really fit the twins' MO, though. If anything, I think they'd be more than happy to run interference for Amity, assuming they can all get on the same page and trust that the others are acting in good faith (admittedly a big if).

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Larryb posted:

But they did? An English dub does exist apparently.

Also why did Craig specifically tell them to make it as different as possible from the original?

If I recall properly that dub is one of those lovely one's they make for places like Singapore and the Philippines, and wasn't meant for Western consumption

Also I have no idea why, I guess he didn't want it being mistaken for the original or something, there's prototype designs for Z floating around the internet that show that their initial ideas were much closer to the original show's style

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

drrockso20 posted:

If I recall properly that dub is one of those lovely one's they make for places like Singapore and the Philippines, and wasn't meant for Western consumption

Also I have no idea why, I guess he didn't want it being mistaken for the original or something, there's prototype designs for Z floating around the internet that show that their initial ideas were much closer to the original show's style

I think there’s also an episode of Z later on where they even crossover with the original show.

But yeah, the final result is a comedy focused magical girl show that kind of fails on both counts.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Aug 25, 2020

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

I felt my soul leave my body reading that announcement, somebody just shoot me now. I feel simultaneously ancient and mad and just tired, so so tired.

Larryb posted:

I imagine it's because if it was too similar there's no point when you could just dub the original in Japanese, plus because the original had only wrapped a year prior. Obviously not a perfect comparison, but it'd be like if there was an announcement that there was gonna be a new version of (googles top anime of 2019) My Hero Academia (ignore for the purposes of this argument the fact that MHA is still ongoing) only re-done here and put on Disney XD or something, and there would basically be zero changes aside from animation style. There's hardly a point unless you change something.

So, if that story is true, I think the reason he'd want it to be different is simply so it could justify its existence by changing things a little.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Aug 25, 2020

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also the original cartoon WAS dubbed into Japanese and was apparently super popular over there (which is probably why they wanted to do their own version in the first place).

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011

It's just in development right? There's a decent chance it'll fall apart before anything comes of it.

Anyway new episodes of Craig of the Creek started today and will go though this week.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Wouldn’t the powepuff girls be in their 30s now if they were 7 in 1995?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The original cartoon had an episode making clear their thoughts on an aged-up sequel, I think. Or possibly just taking the piss out of fanfic.

The real Japanese take on Powerpuff Girls is Panty and Stocking With Garterbelt. Which mind you is mostly because it riffs on American cartoons in general, and was inspired by Gainax on a trip to America and seeing Drawn Together while drunk in a hotel room.

Oh, and on The Owl House: don't see why Willow's leg has to be a big deal, all she has to say is she got injured playing sports and she's being completely truthful. Which given the nature of Boiling Isles sports, probably just has her parents glad she still has the leg.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Aug 25, 2020

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Wouldn’t the powepuff girls be in their 30s now if they were 7 in 1995?

Thanks to a very subtle blink and miss crossover with The Gorillaz that happens in the movie, officially they were created around 2001*, also they're born at 5 not 7 so you're a bit off

*cause Gorillaz happens in real time, this also lines up with how old Ace appears to be when he joined the band a couple years ago as Murdoc's replacement for an album(which would be neat if that gets brought up in this new show)

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The original cartoon had an episode making clear their thoughts on an aged-up sequel, I think. Or possibly just taking the piss out of fanfic.

The real Japanese take on Powerpuff Girls is Panty and Stocking With Garterbelt. Which mind you is mostly because it riffs on American cartoons in general, and was inspired by Gainax on a trip to America and seeing Drawn Together while drunk in a hotel room.

Oh, and on The Owl House: don't see why Willow's leg has to be a big deal, all she has to say is she got injured playing sports and she's being completely truthful. Which given the nature of Boiling Isles sports, probably just has her parents glad she still has the leg.

Mostly them taking the piss out of common fanfic tropes, ultimately this led to City of Clipsville being a bad episode even by the standards of that era of the show

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
So the finale of Infinity Train is out and my two no spoiler takes are that they really needed either an extended episode or an extra one to explain some things and wow they uh didn’t hold back here :black101:

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

I am very powerful, of course.

My thoughts on those last two episodes: Hey! Ho! Whoa

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Sure is a lot of death and attempted murder on this Infinity Train!

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Aug 27, 2020

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

That's about how I expected the last two episodes to go, but, still, yeesh.

If there is a fourth season, I expect we'll learn something about the ghom, the roach monsters. The one that ate Simon's lifeforce projected an image on it's side and then exploded. Very strange.

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

Bobulus posted:

That's about how I expected the last two episodes to go, but, still, yeesh.

If there is a fourth season, I expect we'll learn something about the ghom, the roach monsters. The one that ate Simon's lifeforce projected an image on it's side and then exploded. Very strange.

So far there are no plans for a forth season, I think.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaePu0-fZ4o

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Look at the like/dislike ratio on that video.
Fuckin' scumbags downvoting.

EDIT: On a silly nerdy note, would there actually be "black people" in their animal-person universe? Okay, I'm done.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

thelaughingman posted:

So far there are no plans for a forth season, I think.

It's up in the air atm. The restructuring in ATT/WB/etc. probably being part of it.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

JazzFlight posted:

EDIT: On a silly nerdy note, would there actually be "black people" in their animal-person universe? Okay, I'm done.

Brain is considered black...also Mrs. McGrady too? Brain celebrates Kwanzaa and his cousin Cheikh is from Senegal.

https://arthur.fandom.com/wiki/In_My_Africa

Also they did this episode.

Basically, Brain is canonically a black...bear? As a black person, I am very confused by it but alright then.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I'm bored at work right now and kinda want to watch the last two episodes of infinity train, but I feelike it's gonna be way too heavy to watch in public. Last time I watched I woke my wife up yelling at the TV.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Joe Ruby, one of the creators of Scooby Doo has died. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

ThermoPhysical posted:

Brain is considered black...also Mrs. McGrady too? Brain celebrates Kwanzaa and his cousin Cheikh is from Senegal.

https://arthur.fandom.com/wiki/In_My_Africa

Also they did this episode.

Basically, Brain is canonically a black...bear? As a black person, I am very confused by it but alright then.

Brain is most famously voiced by disgusting white supremacist Steven Crowder lmao. Although he was no longer with the show by then.