Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Why risk storing fruit bombs!>>?

so you and bros can recharge you JO crystals with ticks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
It all makes sense now.

Id personally consider "fruit bombs" to be more wine or a type of cider. But das just me. I don't make it or make beer. I just know whenever i ever have one i never say, " This taste like a beer"

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Some laughs from the secondary

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

incoherent posted:

good

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"

Made it by BarrieHaus today and got a nice little haul to try out. 4-pack of a Czech Session Lager and a crowler each of Family Tradition Vienna Lager, Big Pluckin' Pils, Maltika Baltic Porter, Kling American Lager, Colonel Maize Mexican Lager, and Rock Bochstah Maibock (gently caress, I just got that name when I typed it out). Weekend is looking good, is it Friday yet?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Jealous of that Maltika and Maibock

Sounds like those styles will be fine for a while in a crowlers

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

incoherent posted:

I'm in this group. I'll see if I can find this post or any resulting drama.

Edit: No luck, also no noticeable conversation about it.

atothesquiz fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Aug 20, 2020

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

atothesquiz posted:

tell them they're all loving nerds and jordan was not a character meant to be admired, tia

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

deadwing posted:

tell them they're all loving nerds and jordan was not a character meant to be admired, tia

This went well over my head.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

atothesquiz posted:

This went well over my head.

the group is called 'wolves of whale street', they're acting like the dude from wolf of wall street is someone to be admired and emulated. it's like people who think the characters from always sunny or rick from rick and morty are characters to look up to and emulate, they're completely missing the point that those characters are shitheads.

also they're spending 600+ dollars on a bottle of beer that's worth ridicule just on face value

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

atothesquiz posted:

It HAS to have gotten back to the admins some how...if they're smart they'll rename. Other admins are using it to hammer compliance into the knuckleheads not having their bottles on hand.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Decided on a whim to open up my last bottle of New Glarus Wild Sour (this is he 2013 release).

This beer was always my favorite evidence for what some age could do. It was a mediocre-at-best Oud Brun at release, but within a year that NG sweetness had faded and a beautiful funk had taken over. I think the last bottle I opened was 2ish years ago and it was still loving great.

This is not nearly as good! The color immediately threw me off as it is pretty dark. Oxidation on the nose, but still smells fruity. But it's well past it's drinking prime, being pretty acetic, one note, extremely dry.

It's still pretty impressive how much change this went through, even over this time. Whatever yeasts and bugs NG has in their "Fruit Cave" do a LOT of work here, and seemingly devoured every ounce of unfermented sugar in this.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Why. Why would you do this.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
pastry everything

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
soda. what we want is soda

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

danbanana posted:

Decided on a whim to open up my last bottle of New Glarus Wild Sour (this is he 2013 release).

This beer was always my favorite evidence for what some age could do. It was a mediocre-at-best Oud Brun at release, but within a year that NG sweetness had faded and a beautiful funk had taken over. I think the last bottle I opened was 2ish years ago and it was still loving great.

This is not nearly as good! The color immediately threw me off as it is pretty dark. Oxidation on the nose, but still smells fruity. But it's well past it's drinking prime, being pretty acetic, one note, extremely dry.

It's still pretty impressive how much change this went through, even over this time. Whatever yeasts and bugs NG has in their "Fruit Cave" do a LOT of work here, and seemingly devoured every ounce of unfermented sugar in this.

Last weekend or so I opened a Vintage 2016 R&D from New Glarus and it was really really good. We thought the tartness was on point but the Brett characteristics we're veering to an overly earthy super old spon beer already. Despite that, there was a nice fruity/grainy base that carried through. Still great, but I'm opening my 2017 bottle soon.
This Vintage series seemingly never needed the extra age that you're talking about, but clearly reached new highs with a dash of time. Man, their R&D series in general has been bangers for me.

Also found an Allagash Midnight Brett that was from 2016? No where near as Brett forward as I expected (it's not like a few year old Saison Brett from Boulevard). Very cool tart cherry, slight roastiness, funky/earthy profile. I need to try a more fresh bottle now cause this could scratch a psuedo-belgian-stout itch very well.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Spanish Manlove posted:

pastry everything

:yeshaha:

DROP TABLE PHIZ
Feb 10, 2018

IF YOU AIN'T GETTIN LIT YOU BETTER STAY OUT BITCH

RocketMermaid posted:

why bother appealing to the consumer with a thoughtfully crafted product when nostalgia can do all the heavy lifting for you

Misty Fog
Aug 18, 2020

RocketMermaid posted:

The 'flavour' sounds disgusting as well

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

i need to know if it literally has sprinkles in it, like whole soggy sprinkles

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

vivat virtute posted:

beer with a bite

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

RocketMermaid posted:

lookin forward to the gov't cracking down on advertising to children even though it's really targeting manchildren

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

vivat virtute posted:

Sprinkles are just compacted sugar. They just dissolve. But if they did do this, the color of the "beer" would be... Something.

Also, the cans would very much explode.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

sprinkles probably have like gelatin or something, too

DROP TABLE PHIZ posted:

why bother appealing to the consumer with a thoughtfully crafted product when nostalgia can do all the heavy lifting for you

sigh.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

danbanana posted:

Sprinkles are just compacted sugar. They just dissolve. But if they did do this, the color of the "beer" would be... Something.

Also, the cans would very much explode.

don't ruin my dream

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Ardent Imperial Stout with Vanilla & Cacao Nibs was very good.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

funkybottoms posted:

sprinkles probably have like gelatin or something, too

Unless you've got some really REALLY fancy sprinkles, they don't. Just sugar and corn syrup and coloring and a light "wax" coating. The coating is water-soluble.

My oldest was obsessed with them for a couple years and we have them in the house all the time. He's at the "mix my ice cream until it is just flavored milk" stage in his life and the sprinkles just make sure that milk is extra brown.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Ardent Imperial Stout with Vanilla & Cacao Nibs was very good.

closest we've come to pastry, but still a long way off. we didn't have the hops we'd normally use, so we went with Challenger, which gave it a spicy note that balances out the sweetness a bit. also hides that 11% pretty well imo

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
Look at its little party hat! Each bottle has a unique hat that's set in the wax.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
It's my favorite time of year... Tis the season for German beers!

If you've got access to a CostCo, be on the look out: Ours had 24-bottle cases of Hacker-Pschorr's Oktoberfest Marzen for $25.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Not bad not bad. I still think this years SN octoberfest is their best one in years

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Scarf posted:

If you've got access to a CostCo, be on the look out: Ours had 24-bottle cases of Hacker-Pschorr's Oktoberfest Marzen for $25.

Aw I usually see Paulaner at mine, will double check this weekend

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Spanish Manlove posted:

Not bad not bad. I still think this years SN octoberfest is their best one in years

Good to know! Haven't spotted theirs here yet... but Left Hand's is out and great. I also noticed Bell's was available but I didn't pick it up yet.

air- posted:

Aw I usually see Paulaner at mine, will double check this weekend

They had a Paulaner 1L can+stein package too!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

funkybottoms posted:

closest we've come to pastry, but still a long way off. we didn't have the hops we'd normally use, so we went with Challenger, which gave it a spicy note that balances out the sweetness a bit. also hides that 11% pretty well imo

Yeah I didn't look until I realized I had melted into the couch.
I'm honestly sick of 'pastry' stouts. Hell I can't really even stomach an DIPA at the moment. I had a solid 2 weeks of crispy-bois that completely cleansed my pallet and now I guess I have to just start over.
I think I'm gonna take a break from drinking and ease back in with some marzens soon and work my way up to some Belgian brews.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Scarf posted:

I think mine just has Sam Adams & Warsteiner. I already got a case of the former, but I think I like Prost’s more. Unfortunately it’s not nearly as cheap.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Hauki posted:

I think mine just has Sam Adams & Warsteiner. I already got a case of the former, but I think I like Prost’s more. Unfortunately it’s not nearly as cheap.

Oh for sure, Prost's is legit, always. Comes across as more bitter than most to me. I still dig it though, that place can do no wrong imo.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

RocketMermaid posted:

This was several years ago now, but a Houston brewery made a bunch of experimental beers for their first anniversary party. One of them was a beer made with Sour Patch Kids. It was not delicious.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Thats how I got my stien too! With a big 1L can in it lol

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Shooting Blanks posted:

This was several years ago now, but a Houston brewery made a bunch of experimental beers for their first anniversary party. One of them was a beer made with Sour Patch Kids. It was not delicious.

Cigar City 'aged' a Berliner on Skittles, and it was loving delicious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

vivat virtute posted:

Cigar City 'aged' a Berliner on Skittles, and it was loving delicious

I can see it with a Berliner, and I can see a more experienced brewery doing a better job of it. 8th Wonder is pretty good now, but like almost every new brewery that's popped up in Houston over the past decade or so, they certainly had some growing pains.