Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Slow burn "Joke" but I got a laugh out of realizing they were using the BFG to clear the Icon fast.

Unmaker will need to train with Apollo Creed to get his title back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Section Z posted:

Slow burn "Joke" but I got a laugh out of realizing they were using the BFG to clear the Icon fast.

Unmaker will need to train with Apollo Creed to get his title back.

There are 0 Demon Keys in Eternal, of course the Unmaker is bad

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

goddamn that run is satisfying

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Apparently Hugo's been active and teasey about DLC-adjacent stuff on Facebook:

https://twitter.com/DaveOshry/status/1297011862639321088

The full DLC trailer and release date is coming on Thursday. I suspect that a Switch port date will also drop at that time. The next Master Level (Super Gore Nest) will likely drop on the same day as the DLC.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdZURmiGxBY

:eyepop:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I hope in the twin marauder fight you have to babysit their health so you don't kill one too quickly before the other because if you do the surviving marauder will go over and powerup with twin dogs and axes.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

:sickos:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Doom guy after picking up a briefcase which transforms into other guns depending on the special input "You're on the night train. Choo choo chaboogie"

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

i did not expect this game to be moddable at all

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

The Ancient Ones DLC will be showcased Thursday during Gamescom Online.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Barudak posted:

I hope in the twin marauder fight you have to babysit their health so you don't kill one too quickly before the other because if you do the surviving marauder will go over and powerup with twin dogs and axes.

I've had my fair share of "kill them together" fights from MMOs, and "be careful how quickly you kill something" has no place in Doom. :colbert:

That said, unless the fucker holds two shields, two axes might be an improvement.

Realtalk: How did those marauder quick kills in GDQ work? They made it look even more effortless then trying to do quick-switch stuff during a stagger window. It looked liked they prepped lock-on bursts, then used freeze grenades to get the marauder to aim their shield up and away?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

Realtalk: How did those marauder quick kills in GDQ work? They made it look even more effortless then trying to do quick-switch stuff during a stagger window. It looked liked they prepped lock-on bursts, then used freeze grenades to get the marauder to aim their shield up and away?

That's exactly it. Freeze Grenades being the most dangerous thing get blocking priority so you shoot it above him, and blast him with rockets while he's busy looking at it.

If you want to make it even easier, shoot a BFG to fly past him and he'll practically turn his rear end towards you.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Jack Trades posted:

That's exactly it. Freeze Grenades being the most dangerous thing get blocking priority so you shoot it above him, and blast him with rockets while he's busy looking at it.

If you want to make it even easier, shoot a BFG to fly past him and he'll practically turn his rear end towards you.

If you're going to use up a BFG charge, wouldn't it be quicker to stagger him then feed it directly to his face?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

SirSamVimes posted:

If you're going to use up a BFG charge, wouldn't it be quicker to stagger him then feed it directly to his face?

Technically yeah but I was working under the assumption that staggering him is the difficult part that person who asked the question wanted to avoid. Otherwise you might as well do the SSG - Ballista thing and save the BFG charge.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
to be really sure, fire off a grenade at the marauder as you stagger him, so the bfg shot has more time to land

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yc9ji1SiGB4

Some of these are rad.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

That Imp force grip one is curious.
Also they really needed to add more caco glory kills from the front in Eternal.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
the one where doomslayer kicks an imp so loving hard his leg gets stuck inside the imp is rad as gently caress

the force grip mustve been like an animator goofing around or something lol

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

toasterwarrior posted:

the one where doomslayer kicks an imp so loving hard his leg gets stuck inside the imp is rad as gently caress

Yeah, bring that one back that was great.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Its a shsme the wall based glory kills were removed in Eternal but that was probably to stop people from glitches through geometry

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Some of these shoulda stayed in there, especially Summoner. Summoner is weird i think it has only one glory kill and the sound isn't really synced up to it

This reminds me of Sekiro. Someone made a fully workable boss rush mod (with Sub bosses too) in August 2019, and then a year later From Software announces that they're a few months away from releasing their own.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Arenas that kick my rear end repeatedly: the Rocket Launcher Arena on Cultist Base, the death pit in Cultist Base and the final ice arena on Cultist Base. Then in Doom Hunter Base it's the first room that is an absolute bastard.

After that gauntlet the difficulty on Nightmare drops off significantly as you get your upgrade crystals and expanded arsenal and I think after that the toughest arena is probably the soul extraction chamber in Nekravol Part 2 where you have to take on an Archvile and a Marauder in quick succession.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I think the places that hosed me up most were the very end of Exultia, the cliff with all the Pinkies and Pain Elementals in Taras Nabad, and whatever arena that ended with a Marauder in Urdak. That particular one hosed me up even more than the others :negative:

e: the Marauders in the final level did a number on me too. I gotta try that freeze grenade trick...

Barudak
May 7, 2007

My ultra violence run was a discovery that you get enough ammo in the final level to BFG each marauder with prejudice

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
Finished the game when it came out and I did not play it afterwards because of the Denuvo poo poo they put in the update. I was trying it again yesterday and it just crashes to the desktop, no error whatsoever.

Same machine, same everything. Tried updating the drivers but no luck.

Any ideas?

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Finished the game when it came out and I did not play it afterwards because of the Denuvo poo poo they put in the update. I was trying it again yesterday and it just crashes to the desktop, no error whatsoever.

Same machine, same everything. Tried updating the drivers but no luck.

Any ideas?

Try disabling steam overlay. When I started playing it after the denuvo stuff I gained twice the FPS by doing that. Shot in the dark though, no idea how denuvo really works

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
You can uninstall the Denuvo now and still play

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

ShadowHawk posted:

You can uninstall the Denuvo now and still play

They removed the anti cheat.

Arach
Oct 3, 2003

Dive! Dive! Di... are you diving yet?
Grimey Drawer

More excited for this than DLC. Amazing.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Arcsquad12 posted:

Arenas that kick my rear end repeatedly: the Rocket Launcher Arena on Cultist Base, the death pit in Cultist Base and the final ice arena on Cultist Base. Then in Doom Hunter Base it's the first room that is an absolute bastard.

After that gauntlet the difficulty on Nightmare drops off significantly as you get your upgrade crystals and expanded arsenal and I think after that the toughest arena is probably the soul extraction chamber in Nekravol Part 2 where you have to take on an Archvile and a Marauder in quick succession.

Hard agree. It feels like Cultist Base exists to teach you the importance of locking down the mid tier and heavy demons right away instead of trying to play keep away. That rocket room feels like no big deal if you (successfully) go all out on the mancubi right our the gate, but if you try to plink at them while you run around, you're gonna have a bad time. Same thing with that cliff area where you run into the three whiplashes + shield zombies. You can get by without doing much quick- switching on the first two levels but every encounter in CB gets like 200% more difficult if you aren't constantly unloading all your guns as fast as possible into the most dangerous thing in the room.

Also now that I'm playing on PC I gave up chrono strike for Blood Fueled and man, it helps so much for making a quick escape and repositioning after a GK or chainsaw.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Blood Fueled, Savagery and Air Control are my bread and butter runes. You're an angry pinball.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

"Can't hit what ain't there." - Doom Slayer, cackling as he zooms around the arena killing everything before it even spawns in, 2020

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Bushmaori posted:

That Imp force grip one is curious.
According to another video by the same modder, the filename for that one is "kill_front_chest_glory_egg". So presumably it was intended as some super-rare easter egg ala those Battlefield reload animations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Cultist Base is, unironically, where the real Doom Eternal starts. If you can get through it, congrats, you now have all the core options and know them well enough to make it through the rest of the game. If you get ground up on its rocky cliffs its time to drop difficulty.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Aug 25, 2020

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It is just a bastard of a level.

The Doom Hunter boss fight is a lot easier when you realize only the first Doom Hunter has boss health and the other two are regular health.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its so good though. I think it was the fight at the end of Cultist Base 1 before getting on the train where I was like, yeah, this game is gonna be incredible.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Doing ultra nightmare attempts and the first level and a half without air control is rough. I'm sure I should be getting the death insurance rune but air control is impossible to not use

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
Anyone seen this? For only £380 you can

RIP AND CHAIR

code:
https://www.noblechairs.co.uk/hero-series/gaming-chair-pu-leather?attribute[color]=DOOM%20Edition
E: link is broken because it reads another tag in the middle.

AirRaid fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Aug 25, 2020

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I also discovered an actual use for the Unmaykr. It needs to be paired with a Haste power up because I just realized Haste also gives you infinite ammo.

That fight in Nekravol part 2 with the Baron is a cinch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Oh these chairs definitely can rip and tear, let me tell you...