Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

sebmojo posted:

Link to $12 pdf for anyone who hasn't read it.

Rich's SEO is, unsurprisingly, low key; a google just turns up lovely pirate links.

In fact, I'll buy this for the first three people to quote this post bc I love this story so much.

I’d like to take you up on this too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Mniot posted:

If Redcloak gets stripped of class powers because The Dark One doesn't approve of his behavior (attacking someone who offers to broker a peace deal), I will be pretty disappointed in Rich.

Paladins losing their powers is a standard bit of lore but clerics losing powers is much more extreme. D20SRD says "A cleric who grossly violates the code of conduct required by his god" so I can't see Redcloak blundering into it. The only thing I can imagine Redcloak doing that would be enough of a betrayal to be immediately stripped of powers would be to accept Durkon's deal and pull The Dark One's quiddity into a rift-sealing spell.

Hold up, slow your roll. (I agree with you that I would be disappointed in Redcloak receiving a similar fate to Miko.) What I was trying to bring up, what reminded me of Miko, was the total dedication to their cause and (less absolute in Redcloak's case) an unwillingness to admit that there could be alternate interpretations/paths to that outcome. That led to Miko very nearly loving everything up by destroying the seal on the Azure City Rift.

Given the past few pages, and given Start of Darkness, I think Redcloak is receiving a long, slow setup here to eventually redeem himself / his history. That's the other thing that reminded me of Miko: Soon's final words towards Miko, "Redemption is a rare and special thing, after all. It is not for everyone." It would be suitably Burlew-ian for Redcloak to be the one to walk a paladin-style path of redemption (though, again, not necessarily with the losing-of-class-powers and all that).

The other thing that makes me suspect this is the setup is what another goon brought up:

What Xykon is to Roy, I think Redcloak will be to Durkon. We've already seen that Durkon successfully turned the vampire Good (temporarily), and that he tried to do the same with Malack (and with Hilgya, in different ways).

What's Redcloak's problem? That Goblins are always Evil. How do you solve that problem? Make Goblins not always Evil. What's a good first step? Why, how about starting with the High Priest of the god of the Goblins...?

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

sebmojo posted:

Link to $12 pdf for anyone who hasn't read it.

Rich's SEO is, unsurprisingly, low key; a google just turns up lovely pirate links.

In fact, I'll buy this for the first three people to quote this post bc I love this story so much.

I'll do so as well!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

aight pm me your email addresses and I'll sort you out!

If you don't have pms, post it obfuscated then you can edit it out once I've grabbed it.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

sebmojo posted:

aight pm me your email addresses and I'll sort you out!

If you don't have pms, post it obfuscated then you can edit it out once I've grabbed it.

Just sent mine.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
It's a real good story and I strongly advise anyone who hasn't read it to buy in.

Poor Right Eye.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

habeasdorkus posted:

It's a real good story and I strongly advise anyone who hasn't read it to buy in.

Poor Right Eye.

Ever since O-Chul escaped, I've been expecting a panel where Redcloak has to look at himself in the mirror.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

maltesh posted:

Ever since O-Chul escaped, I've been expecting a panel where Redcloak has to look at himself in the mirror.

There was one not long afterwards.

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

maltesh posted:

He has - https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0701.html

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I think Redcloak's issue (as Minrah points out) is that he's so unwilling to negotiate and so married to his plan that, even in the face of new information showing that his plan might have flaws, he is still willing to kill all living goblins in order to enact it.

Like, it's perfectly sensible that he doesn't trust Durkon and that he thinks Durkon's information might be faulty, but it's a brute fact that he's willing to sacrifice every living goblin for the sake of ideology, and has been for some time.

He doesn't think about it in those terms because he hopes that the gods will be cowed and fix things in this iteration of the world, but he's always been willing to go for a mulligan if they don't. He just studiously avoids thinking about the implications of that - the mass death of the people he's supposedly advocating for - because his whole identity is wrapped up in the specific parameters of his ideology, and the uncomfortable implications of that ideology are elided to protect his sense of moral righteousness.

I also think, yeah, it's if anything more accurate to say that revolutionary leaders arising from conditions of severe oppression are often pretty flawed characters themselves, and are very often comfortable with trading the lives of their supporters en masse for the advancement of the cause. You have your rare exceptions, but for every Nelson Mandela there's ten Robespierres and twenty Dantons. Redcloak is a dude who enslaves and tortures his political opponents, not Malcolm X.

Are the dwarves flawed too? Yeah, Durkon clearly doesn't even fully understand the level of the problem - he thinks it's a statehood thing that can be solved with incremental solutions, rather than the top-down dictat of a fundamentally oppressive ruling class.

Durkon doesn't see this because he's a loyal servant of that ruling class and doesn't think of them as oppressive aristocrats, but as entities who possess a divine right to rule. Challenging the decisions of the Good gods does not come easily or intuitively to him, and he finds it difficult to comprehend problems in that framework at all.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
OK, so... does TDO *know* that he "doesn't have enough gas in the tank" to survive?

(btw, it's a bit weird that Minrah is using a real-world analogy. I can't think of any D&D situation where you put gas in a tank).

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gynovore posted:

(btw, it's a bit weird that Minrah is using a real-world analogy. I can't think of any D&D situation where you put gas in a tank).

Keeping a lamp lit? Best I can think of, at least.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Gynovore posted:

OK, so... does TDO *know* that he "doesn't have enough gas in the tank" to survive?

Dwarves live adjacent to gnomes and Minrah specifically is from the town closest to the surface, she has probably seen motor vehicles and spoken with their drivers

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Gynovore posted:

Gnomes in this setting have motorized vehicles (that they use to accidentally power up evil golems) so maybe gas tanks exist. There's some kind of liquid fuel going on here anyway.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Mister Olympus posted:

Dwarves live adjacent to gnomes and Minrah specifically is from the town closest to the surface, she has probably seen motor vehicles and spoken with their drivers

Ah hell, I totally forgot about gnomish steampunk technology. That fits, I guess.

So, does TDO know that he won't survive this campaign?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

In other words, Durkon is blind to his privilege. He thinks that dwarves have a strong, stable society and are respected as a virtuous people because of their geopolitical history, their relations with other nations and their willingness to negotiate themselves a fair deal, rather than because when the gods were writing the rules they decided that dwarves would be a PC race and killing them for XP would be an Evil act.

I think he still doesn't fully grok this. He's maybe just starting to get that the goblins got a raw deal from their divine creators, but he hasn't necessarily comprehended that his people are how they are because they got a really good one, for the most part. Maybe he'll be better able to persuade Redcloak if he starts to fully get that.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gynovore posted:

So, does TDO know that he won't survive this campaign?

Probably not, given that it sounds like his contact with the other gods has been limited after the brief initial meetings and such, so unless he knows this stuff innately or whatever he might be oblivious.

Though, to combine this with an earlier thing, if TDO does know, or learns sooner or later, then I think that committing to a plan of action that will result in the death of your god might be something serious enough for said god to revoke their cleric's power.

Android Blues posted:

In other words, Durkon is blind to his privilege. He thinks that dwarves have a strong, stable society and are respected as a virtuous people because of their geopolitical history, their relations with other nations and their willingness to negotiate themselves a fair deal, rather than because when the gods were writing the rules they decided that dwarves would be a PC race and killing them for XP would be an Evil act.

I think he still doesn't fully grok this. He's maybe just starting to get that the goblins got a raw deal from their divine creators, but he hasn't necessarily comprehended that his people are how they are because they got a really good one, for the most part. Maybe he'll be better able to persuade Redcloak if he starts to fully get that.

Actually, the dwarves have kind of gotten screwed in a way as well, in the form of the wager between Thor and Hel. I could see that coming up in some context here, whether to find common ground or to make Durkon realize where Redcloak is coming from like you say.

Hilgya might have actually been useful here for this reason, in addition to her being, you know, a terrifyingly powerful cleric (despite her apparently poor Will save) in her own right.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Aug 25, 2020

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Roland Jones posted:

Though, to combine this with an earlier thing, if TDO does know, or learns sooner or later, then I think that committing to a plan of action that will result in the death of your god might be something serious enough for said god to revoke their cleric's power.

The Dark One: So, ehhh, this little detail about me, you know, not surviving the end of the world? You were planning on sharing this with me when?

Redcloak: But... but... you never talk to me!

TDO: There's this thing called a *Commune* spell, maybe you've heard of it? Would it kill you to call your own god once in a while?

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

The notion that a core tenet of this cosmology is that killing Goblins is automatically Good because they are Evil is a dubious one.

The most we've seen on panel is that the goblins were created as XP fodder to level up the other races - and (IIRC) this was never said on-panel by any of the gods responsible for the creation of the world. At most we see that the Dark One and his followers believe this.

Even if we accept this as a truth, that's not the same as saying "The Gods Decree That Killing These Creatures Is Automatically Just And Good". The only time we see people claiming to be Good killing goblins without excellent justification is the Sapphire Guard's purges - which are not only about a specific mission (protecting the gates from the Bearer Of The Crimson Mantle) but also have a note from the Giant that some of them probably Fell for doing it.

Every other time, the goblins are either killed in clear-cut self defense, because they are guarding somebody that deserves smiting (Xykon), or they are killed by somebody with an unstated or non-good alignment.

Keep in mind that the big lesson V learned from the Familicide arc was that indiscriminate slaughter is wrong even if you are targeting an "evil" species.

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know

SKULL.GIF posted:

Given the past few pages, and given Start of Darkness, I think Redcloak is receiving a long, slow setup here to eventually redeem himself / his history. That's the other thing that reminded me of Miko: Soon's final words towards Miko, "Redemption is a rare and special thing, after all. It is not for everyone." It would be suitably Burlew-ian for Redcloak to be the one to walk a paladin-style path of redemption (though, again, not necessarily with the losing-of-class-powers and all that).

Oh, sorry. You wrote "Soon" but I read "Shojo". :shucks:

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I really don't think the world was set up to be as blunt as "killing goblins for any reason is good." I think the world was designed where monster races would naturally be forced into desperate situations, because they were spawned in disadvantaged terrain, giving them strong incentives to raid for survival and prosperity. That sort of setup just naturally leads them into committing actions that means their society as a whole trends towards evil, and gives PC races justification for fighting back.

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it

Raenir Salazar posted:

Sure someone can do a fantasy roleplaying campaign that has nothing to do with any D&D cosmology (I'm not exactly how you'd do this, since D&D cosmology also references real world religions like the Hellenic and Sumerian pantheons; and things like Angels and Demons, so you'd also have to reject those, so you'd have a fantasy roleplaying setting without religion at all?)

you can do religion without real-world pantheons, angels, or demons, hope this helped

back on track, did rich ever give backstory for the goblin/hobgoblin split that redcloak bought into and then got over?

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

fluffyDeathbringer posted:

you can do religion without real-world pantheons, angels, or demons, hope this helped

back on track, did rich ever give backstory for the goblin/hobgoblin split that redcloak bought into and then got over?

i believe the back story is "they are a different colour than us" but also hobgoblins are lawful evil instead of neutral evil.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Well, shoot. I can't believe I missed/forgot that one.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

violent sex idiot posted:

i believe the back story is "they are a different colour than us" but also hobgoblins are lawful evil instead of neutral evil.

Hobgoblins are also bigger and stronger so they gave goblins swirlies.
https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0148.html

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I mean, in an ideal world Redcloak and Durkon/Minrah would have gotten together in a closed off planar space to really discuss the matter - Redcloak doesn't have a whole lot of time to listen to the proposal without, like, Xykon coming along and meteor storming everything.

Also... Redcloak's used a 9th level spell, and two 6th level spells so far in this encounter. Assuming he's not fresh due to the dungeon delving, I wonder how much juice he's got left.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

You're reading the post hyperliterally; because if you think about it for a few seconds it's trivial to argue that no, you in fact cannot do that. If you look at like Jungian symbology that this is patently impossible. Because any attempt to invent a religion that doesn't draw on real world religious elements, symbols, or iconography you can't think of will in fact exist somewhere.

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

Raenir Salazar posted:

You're reading the post hyperliterally; because if you think about it for a few seconds it's trivial to argue that no, you in fact cannot do that. If you look at like Jungian symbology that this is patently impossible. Because any attempt to invent a religion that doesn't draw on real world religious elements, symbols, or iconography you can't think of will in fact exist somewhere.

you specified specific real-world pantheons, angels, and demons in your initial claim that religion in dnd campaigns is impossible without them, you're only now expanding this into all real-world religious elements at all, ever, to shift the goalposts. not a good look famalam

back on track: if redcloak could have an epiphany about what I assume to be decades of ingrained anti-hobgoblin biases, he'll probably have one about his current course of action pretty soon. honestly I'm betting a page or two

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

you specified specific real-world pantheons, angels, and demons in your initial claim that religion in dnd campaigns is impossible without them, you're only now expanding this into all real-world religious elements at all, ever, to shift the goalposts. not a good look famalam

It's not shifting the goalposts, I am providing additional context that appeared to be unclear to you.

You can clearly see that my post implied a non-exhaustive list of things, which I'll highlight for you in case you missed them the first time:

quote:

I'm not exactly how you'd do this, since D&D cosmology also references real world religions like the Hellenic and Sumerian pantheons; and things like Angels and Demons,

Sorry that you misinterpreted it, I am clarifying my meaning for you.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The stance Redcloak's taking now feels more like accelerationism than anything else- let it all get destroyed now, maybe next time it'll be better.

And it's not like the dwarves' proposal is ideal either, it makes sense for Redcloak not to trust them, but where he goes astray is not being willing to look critically at his own plan.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
What are the requisite side stories I need to read in order to get the full comic picture? Start of Darkness is one (thanks for providing that link) are there any others?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

There are three prequel books, but Start of Darkness is the only one that you really need to read. On The Origin of PCs, which fills in a little bit of what the PCs were doing before they teamed up, is pretty much forgettable. Good Deeds Gone Unpunished has few stories set in Azure City and it's interesting background for some characters, but there's nothing that you really need to know about (at least so far).

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Donkringel posted:

What are the requisite side stories I need to read in order to get the full comic picture? Start of Darkness is one (thanks for providing that link) are there any others?

How the paladin got his scar is a useful primer on goblin/human relations around azure city. Origin of pcs is a fun introduction to the characters. That's about it, I think?

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Thank you both.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Start of Darkness is the only one that seems necessary to really understand things (That comic posted earlier with Redcloak looking in the mirror, for example, is pretty insane if you have the context).

I would, however, also recommend reading How the Paladin Got His Scar, just because it's really loving good.

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

Raenir Salazar posted:

It's not shifting the goalposts, I am providing additional context that appeared to be unclear to you.

yeah no my mistake, clearly I was supposed to intuit you using highly specific examples of things you were talking about to mean you were always secretly talking about the sum totality of all real religious paraphernalia and concepts down to the core psychological jungian components (don't worry, rest of the thread, I'm just gonna stop this whole slapfight here now)

back to the comic: looking at how this is shaking out, it turns out using highly specific arguments in a highly specific and unreproducable context to convince someone who's already partially you doesn't translate as well to actual debate as thor would like and minrah has an equal, if not better, track record of getting through to redcloak, who knew

fluffyDeathbringer fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Aug 25, 2020

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

(don't worry, rest of the thread, I'm just gonna stop this whole slapfight here now)

Thank you, there are other places to continue this derail if either of you want to pick it back up again.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Donkringel posted:

There's an official comment by Rich somewhere (I think it's in the introduction to OtOoPCs) that the side stories will never be required to understand the main comic, and that any material from them that is relevant will be re-told as necessary in the online strip.

Everything important in On the Origin of PCs has already been explored in the online comic, but it was the first place you could read about things like Roy's dad's Blood Oath of Vengeance, Haley and the Thieves' Guild and Durkon's Exile.

Start of Darkness is the big one to read right now. It's chiefly the story of Redcloak and how he got to where it is now, but it also involves the background of Xykon, The Dark One, Eugene Greenhilt and the Monster in the Darkness. The important bits may well come up again soon.

Good Deeds Gone Unpunished contains five separate stories, four of which likely won't be relevant. There's a story about Therkla, one about Mr. Scruffy, a prequel about Lien, and a story about Kasumi and Daigo which shows the current status of the Azure City refugee settlement. The last story of the compilation, How the Paladin Got His Scar is about O-Chul, the Sapphire Guard, and hobgoblins. It's not currently relevant, but a lot of stuff in it is bound to come up later in the book.

I'd heartily recommend the latter two, and OtOoPCs is a wholly decent read as well. I'd also recommend reading them in the published order rather than chronological, as there is a very slight bit of continuity across them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

So I was rereading Start of Darkness since people brought it up and noticed that early Redcloak said the vision he was given was explicitly of PC and NPC races sitting together in harmony. That seems to go against what he was saying later on and I wonder if that is in fact something that is going to be an issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

There's an official comment by Rich somewhere (I think it's in the introduction to OtOoPCs) that the side stories will never be required to understand the main comic, and that any material from them that is relevant will be re-told as necessary in the online strip.

Everything important in On the Origin of PCs has already been explored in the online comic, but it was the first place you could read about things like Roy's dad's Blood Oath of Vengeance, Haley and the Thieves' Guild and Durkon's Exile.

Start of Darkness is the big one to read right now. It's chiefly the story of Redcloak and how he got to where it is now, but it also involves the background of Xykon, The Dark One, Eugene Greenhilt and the Monster in the Darkness. The important bits may well come up again soon.

Good Deeds Gone Unpunished contains five separate stories, four of which likely won't be relevant. There's a story about Therkla, one about Mr. Scruffy, a prequel about Lien, and a story about Kasumi and Daigo which shows the current status of the Azure City refugee settlement. The last story of the compilation, How the Paladin Got His Scar is about O-Chul, the Sapphire Guard, and hobgoblins. It's not currently relevant, but a lot of stuff in it is bound to come up later in the book.

I'd heartily recommend the latter two, and OtOoPCs is a wholly decent read as well. I'd also recommend reading them in the published order rather than chronological, as there is a very slight bit of continuity across them.

I really like GDGU, it's a nice mix of stories (Mr Scruffy and the Brain Mole Carbuncle doing hijinx~)

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Aug 26, 2020