Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
You should report this to the developer, because that's a really good catch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Cardiovorax posted:

You should report this to the developer, because that's a really good catch.

I'm sure they'll get right on this absurd bug, instead of the other ~10 I've discovered in the past couple of weeks. :v:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Considering that there have been like ten patches and bugfix updates since just the 1.0 release in December last year, I'd say chances are good that they'd try do something about it if someone actually tells them.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I think that's a long-known issue, it's been around for a year+ at least. Hence the advice not to build near settlements.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Welp here's a new one: a workaround for times when you want to make temporary peace with a faction, but their pacifier refuses to talk to because you're allied to a faction they hate and/or you keep beating up their nobles: kidnap the pacifier, shove them in a Peeler Machine, then bandage them. Because imprisoning someone with [diplomatic status] gives you instant -100 relations but giving first aid raises relations up as high as ~+5 in just a few seconds. Optionally you can take them back out and release them.

This can trigger World State changes if you imprison faction leaders/city rulers but Pacifiers and generic Hive Princes should be relatively safe.

Haven't tried with Acid/splinting for blunt damage, which would be slow but might let you avoid the -100... otoh you can just give them a Venge Laser Wedgie :getin:

e: addendum, figured out what causes player-built Buildings to be assigned to NPC towns.

Here's an example using the Grey Desert Waystation, where you can make use of the fact town guards will use turrets in any building with access set to "public"

The issue seems to be caused by having a player-outpost nearby but placing the Building outside of the outpost's territory. Here we see the Waystation's radius so we definitely need to be outside of that, it's just here for reference... also noteworthy is the fact that those rings have abysmal parallax unless you're looking straight down.

Start by placing an ore drill and a shack, which creates an outpost and we see the radius here. We need to know approximately where my outpost officially ends, so I take a look in editor and it checks out.

Since this is just an experiment I place two Watchtowers without putting much more thought into it. The towers need to be slightly too far outside of my outpost's radius for the game to consider them part of the same outpost, but (if you're building near a city) they still need to be fairly close in order to be allowed to build.

So I guess the order of operations is that the game first checks whether the location is valid to build at all, and if so then it places the building and only after that checks to see which town it is inside, and since it is not inside a town and cannot be added to an existing outpost it then attempts to create a new outpost. If it reaches this step but fails to create an outpost (because it is too close to the border of my first outpost?) the fallback is to pick the nearest nonplayer town(???)

This, along with the build-too-close-to-town exploit, would enable some weird symbiotic colonies where you build Watchtowers+turrets for NPC guards to use to defend themselves and you, and build your own base wrapped around the town, with a wall to force enemies into the turret murder alley. If that actually works then Vain might not be such a miserable place to live.

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Aug 25, 2020

Hyzenth1ay
Oct 24, 2008
gently caress this game.

I meant to play for a few hours this morning. Nine hours later the dishes aren’t done and I still have to write a document for an 8 am meeting tomorrow. I’m currently trying to write about server configuration for our MQ cluster and all I want to do is get to tech level 4 because I finally found some drat books and then I found a named guy and for some reason he came running at me solo without his entire entourage so I hosed him up and now I have a yellow weapon and my assassination is finally over 30 and I got more farms going and I have over 250k cats and

gently caress

Game’s good.

Hyzenth1ay
Oct 24, 2008
Edit -

I have never seen a recruitable skeleton, or Hobbs, or beep, or anyone except Ruka. Now, she’s helped me recruit a drat fine Shek army (with a few Hivers on the walls). But my first base is terrible and I’m considering a day long project to tear it down and rebuild entirely.

At this point, maybe I should just import..?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Sometimes the unique NPCs do just go missing and an import is the only real fix.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Importing's really just another game mechanic imo.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Hyzenth1ay posted:

Edit -

I have never seen a recruitable skeleton, or Hobbs, or beep, or anyone except Ruka. Now, she’s helped me recruit a drat fine Shek army (with a few Hivers on the walls). But my first base is terrible and I’m considering a day long project to tear it down and rebuild entirely.

At this point, maybe I should just import..?

You can find recruitable skelly boys rarely in the Hub and I've had the most luck getting them in shark. Main problem is that now you have to hang around Shark and blood spider hell.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

skeletons are rare but can be found at Crab Town, Mourn, and decently enough at Shark. Almost anywhere that's considered "neutral" can rarely have them. There are 3 guaranteed spawns of unique skeleton recruits, and they're located (vague directions) in the floodlands of the northeast, the central acid-raid hell pit, and locked up in a tower surrounded by death lasers (bring friends for this one)

UC towns have hivers, most commonly in the southern UC towns but generally anywhere there's an "Empire" presence. There's a guaranteed hiver recruit up in the fog but he's the haha funny meme recruit (Beep) so you'll quickly grow to hate him. There's also a couple of hive recruits that spawn in Shark and Mud Town.

Hobbs can randomly be found in:

Waystations
Hub
Rebel Bar (the lone bar outside of Hub)
Mongrel
World's End

but he is most commonly found in the fishing north of world's end. Any town overrides that cause a town to become "neutral", like taking out Clownsteady or Blister Hill, well also cause him to spawn there.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Can also get Espher the unique southern hiver guy out of Tengu's vault, which is very easy and can be done as soon as you have any random dude with like 50 athletics and 100+ stealth (easily acquired with stealth boosting armor).

Luquin is also in there, and is also cool.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Skeletons are very rare* by design, though it's really dumb to restrict player options arbitrarily in a sandbox/rpg/etc.

...except for some insane reason there are "Holy Nation Robot" skeletons that wander around searching for paladins to get murdered by(???).

They're easiest to find along the topographical clusterfuck that serves as a road along the border between Wend and Okran's Armpit and they have a chance of just joining you if all their combat stats/skills are 25 or lower AND the first character of your faction they see is a meatbag, but roaming squads respawn infinitely (and they're apparently the only group that spawns in Wend) so you can just visit and hike the Escher Mountain Trail every few days.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
I think the skeletons get kind of attached to places and will find a reason to stick around. So a bunch wander around the mountains where an old city used to be, or hang out in the floodlands, or refuse to leave their little isolated enclave in the deadlands. They all seem kind of nostalgic to a fairly neurotic degree.

Hyzenth1ay
Oct 24, 2008
I started making weapons at my base too now. I feel like I just need enough cotton / hemp to keep it moving. Making food seems to be kind of pointless when I can snatch up enough meat from the bar store with the price of just one katana.

The micro management at base is still okay for me - it’s enough that I don’t get bored or tab out, but not too much that I feel overwhelmed. I wish I could get some stronger raids but maybe I’ll make a forward base in fog land if I ever go there.

The map is intimidatingly huge.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

You can adjust raid size/frequency in the options menu. Piss off the United Cities and crank that poo poo up for a real good time.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

silentsnack posted:

Skeletons are very rare* by design, though it's really dumb to restrict player options arbitrarily in a sandbox/rpg/etc.

...except for some insane reason there are "Holy Nation Robot" skeletons that wander around searching for paladins to get murdered by(???).
When you've got a setup as iconic as the rabid bigotry of the Holy Nation, you need to set up your game to represent it. The "holy nation robots" are there so that you will occasionally see some poor passing skeleton get completely trashed by a squad of Paladins just for being there.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

When you've got a setup as iconic as the rabid bigotry of the Holy Nation, you need to set up your game to represent it. The "holy nation robots" are there so that you will occasionally see some poor passing skeleton get completely trashed by a squad of Paladins just for being there.

Yeah obviously that's why the template exists, but I just meant the mechanical behaviors for game/lore/entertainment reasons in general require that everyone in the world is stupid and crazy. Maybe that's part of why kenshi is so surreal, apart from finding bizarre bugs.

Like just to make up for dudes that die from random poo poo like Grey Desert caravans either wandering into Venge and getting lasered/eaten by beak things or wandering into Deadlands and getting melted, or Black Desert Ninjas simply being Black Desert Ninjas, the gameworld basically has to be a tiny cross-section of a bigger world with a population >1000x larger and/or a bunch of ridiculously large gently caress-Factory Complexes reproducing like mad to keep up with the respawn rates. Though there's probably a FFC mod on el slab but I'm not gonna bother looking it up, and more importantly even if it doesn't actually exist there's a mod in your mind and now you just have to deal with that fact. You're welcome.

Current favorite bug has to be the ability to instantly escape fights by placing a Storm House anywhere, pausing house construction, placing a crossbow turret on a roof node, giving one guy some iron plates and ordering him to build the turret, and making the rest of the squad follow him, then closing and locking the door. Somehow you're protected from many enemies simply by having the idea of a house. Not to mention that you can actually stand on the nonexistent roof and build turrets and shoot things, for maximum cheese.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Kenshi: Protected from All Enemies by the Idea of a House

McSlaughter
Sep 12, 2013

"Kill white people and get paid for it? What's not to like?"
Sadneil is a depressed skeleton in the Bar in Black Desert City that you can recruit. Agnu is a skeleton who will join you if you release him from his cell in The Tower of Abuse. Burn can be found at his tower in The Floodlands.

McSlaughter
Sep 12, 2013

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2234636338

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

can we put the penis creatures from spore in too?

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

i am harry posted:

can we put the penis creatures from spore in too?

I made a penis creature in the Spore demo and the ban I got from it had the odd side-effect of disallowing me from logging into the actual game.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Vichan posted:

I made a penis creature in the Spore demo and the ban I got from it had the odd side-effect of disallowing me from logging into the actual game.

Yea that sounds about right for spores lovely DRM.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://www.pcgamer.com/kenshi-has-sold-a-million-copies/

Kenshi has passed a million sales. Not bad for what feels like a pretty niche game. Hopefully that success means we won't have to wait 12 years for #2

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

drat, I certainly would not ever have expected it to get even close to that, I'll have to say.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
And at 30 bucks, that’s not nothing.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Do you need to do anything special to get squad members to share food? I'm seeing old google search results about a toggle in the settings but it doesn't seem to exist any more.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Do you need to do anything special to get squad members to share food? I'm seeing old google search results about a toggle in the settings but it doesn't seem to exist any more.

Only food in backpacks is shared with the party. Anything in a specific character's inventory is theirs only

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

Only food in backpacks is shared with the party. Anything in a specific character's inventory is theirs only

Thanks!

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The option is the same place it has been: buried in UI jank. If you want to configure your party's behaviors, open the squad/map/research menu and switch to the the [AI] tab at the top of that interface.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
God drat bugmaster is no joke huh?

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Yea Bugmaster Fucks.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I never remember to go for him until I’m way overpowered.

Shame there’s no unique dialogue for dragging him to Cat-Lon.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
There is some dialogue strewn about that I like. If you bring him to Moll she goes "Why did you bring him here? We don't want more enemies, get him out of here.". If you go to join the anti slavers Grey will say "How can I reject the legendary Bugmaster slayer?"

McSlaughter
Sep 12, 2013

Screenshots from my Hivers-only save, the Feel Good Hive.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
https://www.moddb.com/mods/bannerkenshi

:vince:

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Holy poo poo

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

:captainpop:

Adbot