Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

CLAM DOWN posted:

I just cannot wait to have a fingerprint scanner again. Wearing a mask a lot of the time has made face unlock worthless. Also I'm very stoked for a wide angle camera. If these leaks are true, I'm sold.

Can the face unlock thing be set up when you're wearing your mask?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Good question, but if it could, it wouldn't work whenever I'm at home or in a place I'm not wearing my mask. It's just a failure overall imo, given the prevalence of masks in 2020.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Expecting facial recognition software to be designed with the possibility of a global pandemic in mind seems like it might be asking a bit much.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

Expecting facial recognition software to be designed with the possibility of a global pandemic in mind seems like it might be asking a bit much.

Yeah, doesn't make it suck less to have that as your phone's only biometric sensor though

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Cardiovorax posted:

Bill Gates was trying to prepare us!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

sourdough posted:

Yeah, doesn't make it suck less to have that as your phone's only biometric sensor though
Fair. It's a bit inconvenient. It would be nice if there was a way for to set up facial recognition to recognize both me wearing sunglasses and me without sunglasses, because I'm pretty sensitive to bright light and have to wear them more or less whenever I go outside.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

You can add more fingers to the fingerprint, so it shouldn't be too much to ask to add more faces.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

On iOS, yes. You have face profiles or something last I checked.

On Android, no. You can have one "profile" and that's it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Cardiovorax posted:

Fair. It's a bit inconvenient. It would be nice if there was a way for to set up facial recognition to recognize both me wearing sunglasses and me without sunglasses, because I'm pretty sensitive to bright light and have to wear them more or less whenever I go outside.

Sunglasses don't break the face recognition on the Pixel devices in my experience.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

I never said it had to be designed with that in mind? I would never expect that. That doesn't make it any less worthless these days, as my phones sole biometric method.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

bull3964 posted:

Sunglasses don't break the face recognition on the Pixel devices in my experience.
I've got a Samsung. Last I tried using facial recognition, it couldn't even deal my regular glasses, never even mind the one with tinted lenses.

CLAM DOWN posted:

I never said it had to be designed with that in mind? I would never expect that. That doesn't make it any less worthless these days, as my phones sole biometric method.
Sorry, then. I thought you meant that it was a failure as a product, not in the sense that it just doesn't work for you. No offense intended.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I bet the P5 XL, if it ever comes, will have a fingerprint sensor AND face unlock. I don't know if they'd toss that tech away like that.

Though Google Glass, tons of apps, tons of sites....yeah, they would. haha

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

hooah posted:

Why does the frog sometimes not show up at all? Like right now for me, it's not in the widget and not in the weather app after tapping the widget.

If he's not there just search weather *your location*

He'll be in the googly results

e: good froggy

mod edit: added thumbnail tags

Somebody fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Aug 24, 2020

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

How soon til availability you think we're looking at for the P5? I'm sending back this loving S20 I think, I've known better than Samsung for a long time but I keep buying them.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Cardiovorax posted:

I've got a Samsung. Last I tried using facial recognition, it couldn't even deal my regular glasses, never even mind the one with tinted lenses.

That's because Samsung devices do not actually have real facial recognition. They have a glorified photo match. Pixel 4/4XL and iPhone use an IR dot array and stereoscopic cameras to map your face in 3d. Sunglass lenses are transparent to IR and the frames don't have enough bulk to throw things off.

ThermoPhysical posted:

I bet the P5 XL, if it ever comes, will have a fingerprint sensor AND face unlock. I don't know if they'd toss that tech away like that.

Though Google Glass, tons of apps, tons of sites....yeah, they would. haha

I don't think it will come back until they can put it under the display or the tech shrinks to the point that they can fit it in a thin top bezel. They took way too much of a beating over screen to body ratio so I don't think they are going to tread in those waters at all until they can do it without compromising that top bezel.

It also served its purpose in getting the new biometric API out there and being used.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Aug 24, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

bull3964 posted:

That's because Samsung devices do not actually have real facial recognition. They have a glorified photo match. Pixel 4/4XL and iPhone use an IR dot array and stereoscopic cameras to map your face in 3d. Sunglass lenses are transparent to IR and the frames don't have enough bulk to throw things off.
I didn't realize there was a difference, thank you for the explanation. I imagine I would not have that issue if I was using a Pixel, then.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

codo27 posted:

How soon til availability you think we're looking at for the P5? I'm sending back this loving S20 I think, I've known better than Samsung for a long time but I keep buying them.

Out of interest, what's promoted you to return the S20? It's my intended second choice if the Pixel 5 gets hammered in reviews.

Vahtooch
Sep 18, 2009

What is this [S T A N D] going to do? Once its crossed through the barrier, what's it going to do? When it comes in here, and reads my [P O S T S], what's it going to do to me?
I'm in the same boat. Always have hated Samsung for years, but the S20 marketing just sucked me in and made me think they'd changed. NOPE.

While it's beautiful phone so much stuff is just more annoying than it needs to be. The cameras are slow and don't have the senseless ease of the pixel camera. My boyfriend is using an old s8 with gcam after returning his s20 ultra and it's photos are almost on par with my s20+.

There's lots of weird little software hang ups or slow downs, even after I've disabled all of Samsung's apps. Its just subtly annoying and that's worse than overtly bad I'd say.

I was on a string of pixels before this and I can't wait to return.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Out of interest, what's promoted you to return the S20? It's my intended second choice if the Pixel 5 gets hammered in reviews.

poo poo battery, and this one might come as a shock but Samsungs software is putrid fresh goat poo poo and they keep popping up bugging me to buy into more of their poo poo. I never learn man.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I really would like to hear a bit more detail there, because I'm not really having any problems with my own S20+ at all. Battery life is pretty great (enough for 10 hours of straight video playback) and the only Samsung app that ever does anything unasked is when there's an update and it notifies me about it.

If there are any issues worth knowing about, I'd rather know so I can fix them preemptively. Returning the phone is not an option at this point.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Live Caption on this pixel 4a is cool. Is that just something new to the OS I didn't have on the MotoX4 or is this just a cool thing that's possible because I haven't bothered to tell google to stop spying on me yet?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Khanstant posted:

Live Caption on this pixel 4a is cool. Is that just something new to the OS I didn't have on the MotoX4 or is this just a cool thing that's possible because I haven't bothered to tell google to stop spying on me yet?
Android 10 feature, easy to miss if you weren't looking for it

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Cardiovorax posted:

I really would like to hear a bit more detail there, because I'm not really having any problems with my own S20+ at all. Battery life is pretty great (enough for 10 hours of straight video playback) and the only Samsung app that ever does anything unasked is when there's an update and it notifies me about it.

If there are any issues worth knowing about, I'd rather know so I can fix them preemptively. Returning the phone is not an option at this point.

Some people manage to find issues with everything they buy.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

codo27 posted:

Late September news release, early October pre-order maybe.

bull3964 posted:

I don't think it will come back until they can put it under the display or the tech shrinks to the point that they can fit it in a thin top bezel. They took way too much of a beating over screen to body ratio so I don't think they are going to tread in those waters at all until they can do it without compromising that top bezel.

It also served its purpose in getting the new biometric API out there and being used.

Yeah, I could see it coming back one day. with the fingerprint reader under the display maybe. Though it's a bit weird to NOT see that in the P5 now that I mention it...

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Is the OnePlus 8 Pro the recommended Android phone for folks who don't want Samsung but want high end performance?

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

bull3964 posted:

I got my 4a ... solid the back material feels, it almost feels like coated metal rather than plastic.
Yeah the 4a material is a really nice "matte" texture if that analogy holds.

Still annoyed that this is as small a phone we get these days though.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

lurksion posted:

Still annoyed that this is as small a phone we get these days though.

I honestly can't imaging using anything smaller. It just feels silly small to me which is odd because I had the normal sized Pixel and Pixel 3 (went XL on the 2 and the 4) and I don't recall them feeling this toylike. Maybe it's because the bezels are so small now.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Oh so you are the people who keep asking for all these monster phones. I want a phone about the size of two credit cards, that folds and fits in my wallet and the bottom part is a physical keyboard or possibly numberpad. I'll settle for one the size of a playing card with a normal touch keyboard.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Android 10 feature, easy to miss if you weren't looking for it

It was in a Pixel feature drop, idk if you count that as part of Android 10 in general.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

LastInLine posted:

It was in a Pixel feature drop, idk if you count that as part of Android 10 in general.

It's not exclusive to Pixels, but I don't think it's a feature that on all Android 10 phones. I do know the Samsung and OnePlus flagships have it.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Google is bowing out of the AR stickers for Pixels.

https://9to5google.com/2020/08/24/pixel-4a-playground-stickers/

Starting with the Pixel 4a, all future Pixels will no longer be able to use the Playground app and the functionality has been removed from the Camera app. The P4a can download the Playground app, but nothing will happen.

All previous Pixels before the 4a will still support Playground as well as the various LG and Motorola phones that got support last year.

Google posted:

We’re continuing to bring ARCore and its latest features to Pixel 4a and the many other ARCore-enabled devices. Playground will still be supported on earlier Pixel devices and we’ll focus our efforts on building great AR experiences that serve a much wider audience.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

It's not exclusive to Pixels, but I don't think it's a feature that on all Android 10 phones. I do know the Samsung and OnePlus flagships have it.

Yeah I figured it depends on when the last the software build a given phone had. Just wanted to point it out in case someone had an Android 10 phone but not the feature that it wasn't in the early A10 builds.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Khanstant posted:

Oh so you are the people who keep asking for all these monster phones. I want a phone about the size of two credit cards, that folds and fits in my wallet and the bottom part is a physical keyboard or possibly numberpad. I'll settle for one the size of a playing card with a normal touch keyboard.
Well, larger screen real estate is just generally more useful if you want to use your phone for anything other than phone calls. If you want a tinyphone, there are options available on the low-end market, though: https://www.amazon.com/Unlocked-Caribbean-Z835-Android-Desbloqueado/dp/B075Z5D45N/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=zte&qid=1598342257&sr=8-2

This thing is tiny, like five inches diagonal tiny. I think they've got smaller ones, I used to own one for a while when my old Note 4 broke.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Cardiovorax posted:

Well, larger screen real estate is just generally more useful if you want to use your phone for anything other than phone calls. If you want a tinyphone, there are options available on the low-end market, though: https://www.amazon.com/Unlocked-Caribbean-Z835-Android-Desbloqueado/dp/B075Z5D45N/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=zte&qid=1598342257&sr=8-2

This thing is tiny, like five inches diagonal tiny. I think they've got smaller ones, I used to own one for a while when my old Note 4 broke.

that is literally bigger than a pixel 4a with a smaller screen?

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

ThermoPhysical posted:

Google is bowing out of the AR stickers for Pixels.

https://9to5google.com/2020/08/24/pixel-4a-playground-stickers/

Starting with the Pixel 4a, all future Pixels will no longer be able to use the Playground app and the functionality has been removed from the Camera app. The P4a can download the Playground app, but nothing will happen.

All previous Pixels before the 4a will still support Playground as well as the various LG and Motorola phones that got support last year.

You won't be able to install it on p4a and any devices released after. Probably won't be updated anymore either

The google graveyard is getting a little crowded.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

crepeface posted:

that is literally bigger than a pixel 4a with a smaller screen?
Sorry then. I don't usually use Imperial units, so I have only a vague idea of how big five inches are in practice and it just sounded small to me. The phone I owned was pretty much palm-sized, but I don't remember what it's called and I couldn't find it on Amazon.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
I ruined the oleophobic coating on my phone. is there any way to fix this? :(

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Cardiovorax posted:

I have the S20 5G, not the plus. When I had the old i9000, my first smartphone, I micromangaed the gently caress out of the battery and paired with custom ROMs and such I could squeeze 2 days out of it, all those years ago. That wore very thin and I eventually stopped loving with the battery, turning off radios and such. I just use the phone. My P20 Pro was good for 30-40 hours. I dont ask a whole lot, I just want to not HAVE to plug the phone in before I even go to bed, but in TYOOL 2020 I think day and a half is more than reasonable. I'm a compulsive phone checker, but I dont watch video or play games. Just checked and my screen time is about 1hr40 over the past week on average with a couple of 2hr20 days.

The thing that really pushed me to consider sending it back is I was driving home the other day and trying to blindly plug the phone in, and somehow hosed the charge port. Car charger wont work at all now, and the OEM one works but sometimes, even if its just sitting still, will drop connection and stop charging and it can be finnicky if it moves at all. My S7 stopped charging too, but at least that took more than week.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Well, thanks for the warning about the charge port, I'll have to be careful if you can break those so easily. I'd rather have to send it in, although Samsung was pretty quick at fixing my tablet when the screen started giving out.

I gotta admit, though, I'm surprised to hear you had such issues with the battery life. Every test I read before buying my plus said that you should be able to expect up to 80 hours of standby time even from the basic S20. The battery of the Plus is a bit larger, but not by that much and comes out to pretty much what the tests said it would be. Did you try factory resetting it at any point? It might be that you have some kind of configuration issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

BabyFur Denny posted:

I ruined the oleophobic coating on my phone. is there any way to fix this? :(

Tempered glass screen protector for a new coating over the top, maybe?