Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
Bad news, looks like reinfection can happen quickly

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/24/world/covid-19-coronavirus.html#link-4b468050

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

I'd really love to read this but not so much that I'd want to subscribe to some online rag

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Colonel Cancer posted:

I'd really love to read this but not so much that I'd want to subscribe to some online rag

in short:

quote:

hong kong scientists compared the virus in a person who had 4 months between two instances of being sick with covid, and the viruses in them back then were very different from the virus found now, so this is not the same virus in their body resurging, but a different generation of covid infecting them again

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
One thing that jumps out at me from that article is the mention that reinfection is rare but possible, and that researchers hoped that SARS-2 would behave like SARS-1 and MERS, where immunity to both lasts for years.

Except there were only about 2500 human cases of MERS, and something like 8500 cases of SARS-1. That's barely a blip compared to SARS-2. Of course we'll see more rare events when we have more infections by multiple orders of magnitude. Not to mention that SARS-1 and MERS burned out real fast, so unlike now, you weren't still surrounded by sick people after your recovery.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

Mithaldu posted:

in short:

And in short, that's pretty bad news.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
Wait, so once the vaccine finishes, is it going to be like the flu shot where they guess the worst strains and can put out a new one every year or will it forever be a multi-month testing process for each that the virus mutates faster than?

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

I can't get too worked up about one confirmed/credible case of anything relating to covid, so much of this stuff changes so quickly so I have decided that I'm not going worry about re-infection yet

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

yook posted:

Wait, so once the vaccine finishes, is it going to be like the flu shot where they guess the worst strains and can put out a new one every year or will it forever be a multi-month testing process for each that the virus mutates faster than?

Influenza does horizontal gene transfer fuckery that makes it mutate uniquely fast.

SARS-2 can’t do that, and to the extent it can mutate, it’s not fast enough to make it a yearly thing. The few thousand people who survived SARS are protected against SARS-2, sixteen years later, and SARS-2 isn’t even a direct descendant. The family resemblance is enough to prime the immune system.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Yeah we already knew that a nontrivial percentage of people don't mount much of an immune response to this.

Friendly obligatory reminder that it's inherently the visible, newsworthy stuff that gets reported on, not invisible/non-newsworthy stuff (like the many people who've avoided multiple infections through immunity), don't panic about one article, etc.

Also, this thing mutates much more slowly than the flu. That's fairly uncontroversial last I checked. 24 nucleotides' difference is not a whole lot in a 29kb genome, and we already knew that some genes mutate faster than others (this is the norm in biology). They may even have been boring mutations that didn't change the amino acid, and thus the protein they create, which means any theoretical treatment targeting them wouldn't be affected.

Platystemon posted:

Influenza does horizontal gene transfer fuckery that makes it mutate uniquely fast.
Exactly. Flu's genome exists in discrete segments, not as one long linear genome. It can have flu sex with other strains and swap information much more readily than SARS-CoV-2.

Zugzwang fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Aug 24, 2020

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Colonel Cancer posted:

Just in case anyone doesn't know, the NYT paywall loads after the text and images--just reload the page and then manually stop it before the paywall comes up!

Or you can use a site like Pocket, then you add the link to your articles and you can read it in there (works for a few other sites too but not WaPo).

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
this case is interesting because it's the first one that was proved by genetic sequencing to involve re-infection on separate occasions rather than a resurgence of a dormant virus

the good news is that on the second go-around the guy had no symptoms. hopefully this means our immune systems work properly here and this is true in general

hopefully!

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
As for all things. The devil is in the details. The people publishing that article have not shared the full-text of their methods or figures with other scientists, essentially trying to create a big splash in the media before peers can criticize it. I can go through all the issues or you can follow this twitter thread which covers all the issues with this study.

https://twitter.com/angie_rasmussen/status/1297894265410875394

In short: This guy apparently never had an immune response to the first infection, which might explain him getting reinfected, but we can't even be sure of that because the details of the paper are being kept under wraps.

Always be skeptical when the press release comes before the article.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

how many mustard stains does everyone's mask have

be honest here

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Platystemon posted:

The few thousand people who survived SARS are protected against SARS-2, sixteen years later, and SARS-2 isn’t even a direct descendant. The family resemblance is enough to prime the immune system.

How do you know that?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

numberoneposter posted:

be honest here

Not sure how you'd get mustard on your mask. Do you try to take a bite of your hotdog without removing the mask first?

naem
May 29, 2011

numberoneposter posted:

be honest here

I cut myself shaving there are spots

it’s like a face tampon

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
broke: wearing a mask to avoid disease
woke: wearing a mask to avoid smoke

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Facebook Aunt posted:

Not sure how you'd get mustard on your mask. Do you try to take a bite of your hotdog without removing the mask first?

Pretty sure he means on the inside.

Don't ask me how I know this.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Woof Blitzer posted:

broke: wearing a mask to avoid disease
woke: wearing a mask to avoid smoke

Hope: Wearing a mask cos your diving under the sea to find sunken pirate treasure!

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Facebook Aunt posted:

CAUSE I GOT MUSTARD IN MY MUSTACHE OK BUDDY

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
I'm going to start selling masks with built in vape. You can vape without taking off the mask. I'll remember you guys when I am Steve Jobs rich.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Neutrino posted:

I'm going to start selling masks with built in vape. You can vape without taking off the mask. I'll remember you guys when I am Steve Jobs rich.

We'd prefer that you forget us

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

greazeball posted:

Just in case anyone doesn't know, the NYT paywall loads after the text and images--just reload the page and then manually stop it before the paywall comes up!

Or you can use a site like Pocket, then you add the link to your articles and you can read it in there (works for a few other sites too but not WaPo).

Also: "The Times is providing free access to much of our coronavirus coverage"

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Google News removed the extra Covid link at the top. It's officially over, folks.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Sir Not Appearing posted:

Google News removed the extra Covid link at the top. It's officially over, folks.

No longer generating enough ad views for them to care anymore

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

The Glumslinger posted:

No longer generating enough ad views for them to care anymore

Even as a joke this makes no sense.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
as a literal indictment that sentence makes perfect sense

in german google news the link is still there tho

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I am getting increasingly disappointed in the GOP as time goes on. Everything about it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Delta-Wye posted:

How do you know that?

Scientists took plasma from the SARS survivor and exposed it to SARS-2. The antibodies neutralised SARS-2.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Platystemon posted:

Scientists took plasma from the SARS survivor and exposed it to SARS-2. The antibodies neutralised SARS-2.

Great, thanks for the link, I hadn't seen that article yet. I can't follow most of the deets in the body (not my area) but the idea is pretty interesting.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Michael Corleone posted:

You all think I am crazy already, so let me ask, if someone has antibodies and a compatible blood type what is the downside to trying a little DIY blood transfusion at home?!
I do have a source to be a mad scientist but this is more sarcasm because I would probably kill both of us since I have 0 medical training, but could like people with knowledge actually do this? You probably need plasma, but with the right training and people and equipment this can be done safe and cheap maybe. This is what the rich do, why can't we?

You risk infection for one thing. I'm not a doctor but I did have a blood infection called lymphangitis and let me tell you, it is super unnerving to watch a red line track up your arm while you wait for the antibiotics to kick in.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I did my first gig-based food delivery shift on Sunday.

It... actually went pretty smoothly, all things considered. I made a little over $50 for 7 hours of work, which isn't anywhere close to a good or even just acceptable wage in any civilized country, especially since I had to spend $20 on gas to just be able to do my job, but I'm only working this job at all to save up for an expensive purchase I gotta make soon so I guess it could be worse? :shrug:

Anyway my next shift starts in about 8 hours. Hope I don't get COVID! :)

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

So you made about four dollars an hour without even accounting for wear and tear on your vehicle and any other extraneous costs.

It really doesn't seem worth it tbh.

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
Miami wants to have 13,000 fans at their home opener in Sept!

https://www.sportsnet.ca/football/n...hapqd23vxdMIfYk

Seems like a bad idea imo!

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Saros posted:

So you made about four dollars an hour without even accounting for wear and tear on your vehicle and any other extraneous costs.

It really doesn't seem worth it tbh.

still more than the zero dollars an hour I was making before

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

I. M. Gei posted:

I did my first gig-based food delivery shift on Sunday.

It... actually went pretty smoothly, all things considered. I made a little over $50 for 7 hours of work, which isn't anywhere close to a good or even just acceptable wage in any civilized country, especially since I had to spend $20 on gas to just be able to do my job, but I'm only working this job at all to save up for an expensive purchase I gotta make soon so I guess it could be worse? :shrug:

Anyway my next shift starts in about 8 hours. Hope I don't get COVID! :)

Dude. That's like, really horrible. I made more money than that when I worked at a movie theater when I was 16 years old in 1999.

:( Come on man you can do better than that. I really hope so.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Dude. That's like, really horrible. I made more money than that when I worked at a movie theater when I was 16 years old in 1999.

:( Come on man you can do better than that. I really hope so.

My last full-time job lasted a month and a half and ended in July 2018. And my work history even before that is......... let's just say "thin".

Especially with all this pandemic poo poo going on, my cup don't exactly runneth over with options right now.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

I. M. Gei posted:

still more than the zero dollars an hour I was making before

I'd try pissing myself on clips4sale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

I. M. Gei posted:

Especially with all this pandemic poo poo going on, my cup don't exactly runneth over with options right now.

Fingers crossed you get some decent tips

The last time I ordered pizza home delivered I left a 45% tip on my front porch but the delivery dude must have been in a hurry because they left the pizzas sitting on top of my front fence so they didn't even see the cash
I fuckin' tried :shrug: