Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
The comparison that still blows my mind is that Ford was born in 1969 and Trudeau was born in 1971. They're close enough in age that they would have been in High School at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Virtual Russian posted:

Canada towing the US line is definitely a much more recent phenomena. We had good relations with Cuba throughout the blockade. You have to hand it to Chretien for not invading Iraq... Also there was the entire peacekeeping era, which while fraught with problems, still probably represents a high-point in Canadian foreign relations.

I really don't think it can be emphasized enough that while things have always been bad that doesn't mean they cannot continuously get worse!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Virtual Russian posted:

Canada towing the US line is definitely a much more recent phenomena. We had good relations with Cuba throughout the blockade. You have to hand it to Chretien for not invading Iraq... Also there was the entire peacekeeping era, which while fraught with problems, still probably represents a high-point in Canadian foreign relations.

LBJ once came thiiiis close to bodyslamming Pearson because Pearson had the audacity to give a speech saying the Vietnam War was bad.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

vyelkin posted:

LBJ once came thiiiis close to bodyslamming Pearson because Pearson had the audacity to give a speech saying the Vietnam War was bad.

Pearson generally seemed like a pretty cool guy. I cannot help but feel he must have also been doing or encouraging horrific treatment of indigenous peoples though, as all our leaders seem to share that one quality.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Helsing posted:

I really don't think it can be emphasized enough that while things have always been bad that doesn't mean they cannot continuously get worse!

so many quotable quotes lately

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟
*prepares O'Toole memes from that Simpsons episode*

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

vyelkin posted:

It's probably not a coincidence that most of Canada's valued social democratic institutions were instituted more or less after the influence of the British collapsed after WWII but before Canada was fully within the American orbit.

Hand Knit has issued a correction as of 03:23 on Aug 25, 2020

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014
That is pretty interesting to consider. I've always wondered how PET managed to not piss off the US by being super chummy with Castro and maintaining full diplomatic relations with Cuba.

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

I suspect we were closer to war with the States during PETs time than anyone will ever admit too.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
I think the sheer audacity of PET's unwavering ability to give exactly zero fucks kept the peace intact.

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos
Vaccine? More like MIND CONTROL DRUGS!

But seriously, if 70% say no, what does this say about potential antivax growth going forward?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

*prepares O'Toole memes from that Simpsons episode*

what a toole

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

People should be rightfully skeptical of fast-tracked vaccines like what Russia produced and like what I am guessing Trump is going to announce a week before their election. Making actually unsafe vaccines would have the expected effect upon the anti-vaccine movement.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Sassafras posted:

But seriously, if 70% say no, what does this say about potential antivax growth going forward?

i don't think its fair to put people that are skeptical of a fast tracked untested russian vaccine with normal anti-vaxers. there are a lot of perverse incentives with a covid vaccine that i just don't trust, like the fact that the economy is tanking and billionaires want to maintain their wealth.

the rich ghouls that run our society are more than willing to sacrifice a few peasants to a dodgy vaccine if it means we can "go back to normal" without their stock portfolio being harmed. i'm not touching any vaccine until i see results a year down the line from the general population

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
My province is only like, 30% busted, so I can afford to wait three weeks to see if the people back east turn into mutant radioactive polonium monsters or whatever from a fast tracked Moscovian vaccine.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Agreed. The anti vax movement is generally dumb af but its well within reason to expect the capitalist class to sell us all snake oil if that means we all send our kids back to school and get back to work in September.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

best part is all the bending of the rules to fast track this vaccine will become permanent as all things do that allow capital to make more money.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Sassafras posted:

I'm about as pro-vaccine as you can get and I wouldn't touch the Russian vaccine with a ten-foot pole. They skipped phase 3 trials entirely, which means we have no idea whether it works and we have no idea whether it has major side effects. Giving that vaccine to large numbers of people is an enormous risk and if it turns out there's a problem with it that wasn't caught during the horrifically fast-tracked testing it would be a generational setback for vaccine uptake worldwide imo.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Yeah seriously. I will take an evidence-backed vaccine all day, every day, but that poll is tantamount to asking whether I would take a vaccine purchased from Wish.com

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I like my vaccines like I like my women: not killing me

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Imagine the disruption to the global economy if both Russia and the USA inoculated their populations with a vaccine that just straight up killed em. It'd be the biggest own goal in modern history.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

EvilJoven posted:

Imagine the disruption to the global economy if both Russia and the USA inoculated their populations with a vaccine that just straight up killed em. It'd be the biggest own goal in modern history.

it would be a mad dash as everyone tries to run and grab the nukes first. like an international wacky races

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Sassafras posted:

would you personally take a vaccine that bypassed the entire testing and approvals process?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

vyelkin posted:

you can't post that without posting what he actually said

"LBJ grabbed Pearson by the shirt collar, lifted the prime minister off the floor and shouted, "You pissed on my rug!" "

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

infernal machines posted:

would you personally take a vaccine that bypassed the entire testing and approvals process?

I think I'd treat it like I do flu shots. I'll get them when free and convenient enough but really don't care if I miss them either since they're probably not actually stopping me from getting the flu (between wrong strains and straight-up "not coming into contact"). Of course, Covid statistically poses even less of a threat to me...

Russian vaccine isn't skipping the entire process, and vaccine development is, I think, relatively standardized these days. As such, how much riskier than any other inactivated virus vaccine could it possibly be? It's not going to use plutonium as an adjuvant, and by the time it's actually available to you or me, the surprising side effect where everybody who took the vaccine dies a horrible North Korean assassination-style death when they touch some particular chemical found in a small subset of cosmetics/perfumes might even be properly correlated.

The italicized is why I wonder if such widespread skepticism can't help but rub off elsewhere.

Maybe there's a good way to monitor flu shot uptake by year that I can bookmark for a few years later? This year in particular might be interesting, high or low. I'd think high because the consequence of symptoms is potentially hours in line for tests or else a couple weeks of isolation from work/school but maybe the work from home legion will go without their usual workplace shots and, like me, not bother seeking it out.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

fair enough, but the question in the survey is "based on what you currently have heard", not "based on the outcome of the Russian public being used as guinea pigs for an untiraled vaccine", which is a bit different

infernal machines has issued a correction as of 16:32 on Aug 25, 2020

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Sassafras posted:

I think I'd treat it like I do flu shots. I'll get them when free and convenient enough but really don't care if I miss them either since they're probably not actually stopping me from getting the flu (between wrong strains and straight-up "not coming into contact").

This is what everyone thinks until they get a bad flu. Even if the shot doesn't block a specific strain it can keep your flu from getting to the 'bad' stage

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I like my vaccines like I like my women: as many as possible at the same time

just inject me with all these poo poo-rear end vaccines, one of them will work

Flater
Oct 20, 2006

Ask me about sucking Batman's dick

Another Bill posted:

This is what everyone thinks until they get a bad flu. Even if the shot doesn't block a specific strain it can keep your flu from getting to the 'bad' stage

I've never heard this. Do you have a source?

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

blatman posted:

I like my vaccines like I like my women: as many as possible at the same time

just inject me with all these poo poo-rear end vaccines, one of them will work

That's more or less how immigration to many countries works - either you have proof of vaccination for everything from a few decades ago or you get all the shots at once.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The purpose of the flu vaccine is so you don't gently caress up someone who isn't as lucky as you. Christ. Not, "I got sick anyways - FAKE NEWS"

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Flater posted:

I've never heard this. Do you have a source?

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/spotlights/2017-2018/vaccine-reduces-risk-severe-illness.htm

quote:

August 1, 2018 — A new CDC-supported study published in VaccineExternal conducted over multiple flu seasons shows that getting a flu shot lessened the risk of severe influenza (flu) among adults, including reducing the risk of hospitalization and admission to the intensive care unit (ICU), and also lessened the severity of illness.

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Vintersorg posted:

The purpose of the flu vaccine is so you don't gently caress up someone who isn't as lucky as you. Christ. Not, "I got sick anyways - FAKE NEWS"

You don't get what the word indifferent means, do you?

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

enki42 posted:

On the subject of next election candidates, is there anything horrible about Freeland except for "Nazi grandpa" and the general horribleness that's associated with Liberals in general?

There's approximately zero chance I'd vote Liberal anyway, but it's hard to find any other information, really. Everyone outside of this site seems to be lining up to praise her as the greatest politician of our generation, and the forums are obsessed with the nazi grandpa thing, which sure, I guess, but I'm finding it hard to get worked up about someone not denouncing their grandfather.

funneling money, equipment and training to ukrainian nazis

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Virtual Russian posted:

Iraq was huge, and pissed the americans off big time. France did the same and now both Canada and France are led by/infested with regime change supporting liberals with close ties to the american military intelligence complex. Very odd.

Flater
Oct 20, 2006

Ask me about sucking Batman's dick

Thank you. I apologize but I don't see discussion about the strains in your link. That is the part I was curious about, vaccines for specific strains having general beneficial effects vs all strains which is what I interpreted "Even if the shot doesn't block a specific strain it can keep your flu from getting to the 'bad' stage" to mean.

Edit: thinking now I misunderstood what you were saying

Flater has issued a correction as of 17:05 on Aug 25, 2020

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

vyelkin posted:

I'm about as pro-vaccine as you can get and I wouldn't touch the Russian vaccine with a ten-foot pole. They skipped phase 3 trials entirely, which means we have no idea whether it works and we have no idea whether it has major side effects. Giving that vaccine to large numbers of people is an enormous risk and if it turns out there's a problem with it that wasn't caught during the horrifically fast-tracked testing it would be a generational setback for vaccine uptake worldwide imo.

I'm pretty sure I read that it didn't get past phase 2, they just got phase 1 approvals and open palm slammed that fucker into public trials. Which is effectively what China has been doing to military 'volunteers' according to various sources.

I do know that various pharma here in NA have.. about half a dozen prospective vaccines in either phase 1 or phase 2, but nothing is getting past phase 2 at the moment. In order to keep up I bet they're all going to apply to skip phase 3 against the human guinea pig experiments that Russia and China are trialing.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

enki42 posted:

Everyone outside of this site seems to be lining up to praise her as the greatest politician of our generation, and the forums are obsessed with the nazi grandpa thing,

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

"obsessed with the nazi grandpa thing"

oh, and i guess the "providing material support to neo nazis and fascists thing"

we're really far too unreasonable about these niggling little details

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Pinterest Mom posted:

you can't post that without posting what he actually said

"LBJ grabbed Pearson by the shirt collar, lifted the prime minister off the floor and shouted, "You pissed on my rug!" "

That is probably the least lewd/crude LBJ quote I've ever heard.