Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Lumpy posted:

Red dyes / paints tended to be the most toxic (that's why red M&Ms went away for a while...) so it is possible the "cool" reds were discovered to be Not Safe For Humans™ and so they got rid of them, and now they have more non-toxic options available so they can make the good ones again. I have absolutely no idea if this is the case here, but in lots of other areas, reds went away or were changed a great deal for a period due to health hazards.

the catalyzed polyester they use for topcoats/clearcoats is way more toxic than any paint

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

The best part of the maple neck is the unpainted headstock.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

No way this goes in this stupid poo poo thread:

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

This is what I think “alternate reality” models should be.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Would

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

F'ing amazing.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Is there a neck pickup? Also lol

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Spanish Manlove posted:

Is there a neck pickup? Also lol
You insert a quarter to switch between them

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

The tune-o-matic holes peering out from the ashtray take this from awesome to amazing.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

What shape do you guys use for a maj 7th rooted on the 6th string? I'm comfortable with the A rooted barre shape, Dmaj7 being x57675 for example, but I haven't found a nice one for E. The A rooted one was a tough one to get down.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Take an A shape minor chord and move the root down a string and over one fret up. For example open Amin is x02210 and e shape Fmaj7 is 1x2210

It's the reverse for minor, so e shape Fmin7 is a fun, brutal Barre of 1x111x

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
That doesn't barre well though. If I'm doing barre chords I'll make an Emaj7 shape and barre it as normal, I'll use one of my big fat fingers to fret both the G and D strings together.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

former glory posted:

What shape do you guys use for a maj 7th rooted on the 6th string? I'm comfortable with the A rooted barre shape, Dmaj7 being x57675 for example, but I haven't found a nice one for E. The A rooted one was a tough one to get down.

Amaj7 as an example:

code:
e --x--
B --5--
G --6--
D --6--
A --x--
E --5--
So basically this:

Spanish Manlove posted:

Take an A shape minor chord and move the root down a string and over one fret up. For example open Amin is x02210 and e shape Fmaj7 is 1x2210

It's the reverse for minor, so e shape Fmin7 is a fun, brutal Barre of 1x111x

The m7 is easy! 2nd finger on the 6th string, 3rd finger flat across the 4th, 3rd, and 2nd string and muting both the 5th and 1st.

Lumpy fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Aug 25, 2020

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Baron von Eevl posted:

That doesn't barre well though. If I'm doing barre chords I'll make an Emaj7 shape and barre it as normal, I'll use one of my big fat fingers to fret both the G and D strings together.

I use two fingers, middle for the root and ring for the rest of the bar. The hard to Barre comment was about doing a bar with your ring at the first fret

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Just do 5x555x with four fingers and then hop over to x5455x by moving a couple, then do that maj7 at 3x443x and now you're doing a jazz

:nice:

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
https://soundcloud.com/thabirdg/let-it-go-rock-tribute
here is my "rock" cover of Let It GO i did 5 years ago in an attic somewhere without an amp and a 1962 piece of poo poo electric guitar just held right up to the microphone with the mic gain turned all the way up for some kind of tone. I'm sort of on a spree of posting from my dumb old soundcloud across the forums so i figure i'd just drop it right here.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Spanish Manlove posted:

I use two fingers, middle for the root and ring for the rest of the bar. The hard to Barre comment was about doing a bar with your ring at the first fret

I don't see anything in that post about the first fret, he's asking for barre shapes for 6th string Maj7 chords.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

baka kaba posted:

Just do 5x555x with four fingers and then hop over to x5455x by moving a couple, then do that maj7 at 3x443x and now you're doing a jazz

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

excellent bird guy posted:

here is my "rock" cover of Let It GO i did 5 years ago in an attic somewhere without an amp and a 1962 piece of poo poo electric guitar just held right up to the microphone with the mic gain turned all the way up for some kind of tone. I'm sort of on a spree of posting from my dumb old soundcloud across the forums so i figure i'd just drop it right here.

This is fun and good, thanks for sharing!

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Lumpy posted:

The tune-o-matic holes peering out from the ashtray take this from awesome to amazing.

lmao i didnt notice that before

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.

Let's compare Fender Reds.
First is beautiful, totally rad and slick Fiesta Red!!! Beautiful.

Now let's look at ugly, children's toy looking gross Candy Apple red :(

Why on god's grey earth would Fender put out so many disgusting Candy Apple Red guitars but the clearly superior Fiesta Red is so much more hard to find?

I prefer that sexy candy apple red jaguar, especially with the matching headstock. Opinions vary. I also like wine red but that barely counts as a red.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The Freddy Green stuff makes comping along with jazz records really easy once you figure out the substitutions.

I'm no jazz guy but it's fun to throw on a record and be able to keep up.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

Baron von Eevl posted:

This one is working pretty well. I think I ran across the shape earlier in my learning and just glossed over it due to the dual barre, but now with a lot more A shape barre practice under my belt, I can fat finger the two strings with my 3rd finger as well. The open Emaj7 shape also makes sense to me.

baka kaba posted:

As soon as I strummed the 5x555x :doit: Great little progression.

Lumpy posted:

Amaj7 as an example:

code:
e --x--
B --5--
G --6--
D --6--
A --x--
E --5--
So basically this:

The m7 is easy! 2nd finger on the 6th string, 3rd finger flat across the 4th, 3rd, and 2nd string and muting both the 5th and 1st.

So far I'm finding it easiest to play this Am shape with my thumb wrapping over the top and then doing that Am with fingers 1, 2, 3. When I try to do a mini barre to catch the D and G strings I can't keep the E note on the B string ringing consistently. None of the options seem super easy so I I've got a new thing to practice changes with, so that's a good thing!

Thanks very much for the info.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I play that maj7 shape with 4 fingers too (1st finger on the root) although a mini barre lets you switch to the 5th-string root version more easily (for the jazz)

here's a couple others you can try

5766xx Amaj7, like the bottom 4 strings of a major barre only with the root's octave knocked back a fret to the major 7th. It's basically the 5x665x one only with that highest note (which is the 5th) knocked back down an octave, so all the notes are closer together and it sounds less bright and open

5xx654 that's just most of the notes all up in the shimmer zone with a bassy root holding everything down. Probably more of a fingerstyle one unless your muting game is on point (also this is the 5x665x one again but with the major 7th moved up an octave to the top string)

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Thought y’all might appreciate this:

https://youtu.be/XNBYy4HzYaM

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

A lot of good people seem to work around the circle of 5ths instead of drilling scale patterns. I'm trying to get there, but it's been a real bitch getting beyond knowing the bottom 2 string notes without using octaves.

His right hand is godly but also so different in the way it kind of flops around like a dead appendage.

Thanks for those other 7ths, I'll try them out tonight.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I keep meaning to do that god damned warmup challenge for a week thing and improve my god damned understanding of music, too. God damnit.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Ok Comboomer posted:

Thought y’all might appreciate this:

https://youtu.be/XNBYy4HzYaM

probably gonna try to work on this circle of 5ths warmup idea

i really like the way he takes it to the relative minor before moving to the next key. sounds really good, for a practice routine!

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Circle of 5ths practice is really good. Do it clockwise and counterclockwise

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
oh i love talking shop about chord voicings

Lumpy posted:

Amaj7 as an example:

code:
e --x--
B --5--
G --6--
D --6--
A --x--
E --5--

this is probably the best all around voicing of maj7 with a 6th string root. sounds good, i love it..... but i didn't always

a younger me didnt like having to mute the 1st and 5th strings.. but everyone has to start worrying about it eventually :shrug:

baka kaba posted:

5766xx Amaj7, like the bottom 4 strings of a major barre only with the root's octave knocked back a fret to the major 7th. It's basically the 5x665x one only with that highest note (which is the 5th) knocked back down an octave, so all the notes are closer together and it sounds less bright and open

this 5766xx one is "handle with care" because it can get muddy and dark! but its a great chord to use at the start of a tune, imo. so that you can transition to brighter chord voicings, and let the contrast delight the ear!

good in lots of other places too, but in MOST cases, im usually reaching for 5x665x. unless i'm specifically looking for a dark moody sound

baka kaba posted:

5xx654 that's just most of the notes all up in the shimmer zone with a bassy root holding everything down. Probably more of a fingerstyle one unless your muting game is on point (also this is the 5x665x one again but with the major 7th moved up an octave to the top string)

:swoon: 5xx654 is an old favorite. love this one to pieces! learned this one early, it was the first time i ever fretted a note with my thumb. i was transcribing a fingerpicking part, and i had to figure out the thumb thing by trial and error.

good stuff

theres another 6th string root voicing to consider. i dont think anyone uses it, its just "root position" 5421xx

^^ i give this one 1/5 stars because of how uncomfortable it is to play, but you could use it further up the neck if you wanted. but the way it "spocks" out your fingers makes it a bummer

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

:frogc00l: -[i dig it]

There's a lot of heart in that.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

B-b-but... my feels.

PTSDeedly Do
Nov 24, 2014

VOID-DOME LOSER 2020

I have just discovered the joy of extra light strings after 12 years

I can pull off the a shape barre with all the notes ringing out

I can bend notes

Hand doesn’t get tired

Chords don’t sound muddy as poo poo

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

PTSDeedly Do posted:

I can bend notes

Hand doesn’t get tired

Yeah, and when you find out that all of your guitar heroes from the 60s-80s used way lighter gauge strings than anything you were told was “normal” when growing up in the 00s...

I blame Ernie Ball. I bought Regular Slinkies for years and never questioned it.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

former glory posted:

:frogc00l: -[i dig it]

There's a lot of heart in that.

Thank you, I really used to be into Sebadoh. When it was like "just lol" if you spend more than 2 hours on a song.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

PTSDeedly Do posted:

I can bend notes

Hand doesn’t get tired

Make your own strings with fishing line :bird:

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Anything heavier than 9s is for downtuning.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Oh hello.

100% would play that just to make people wonder what the gently caress it is I'm playing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

Let's compare Fender Reds.
First is beautiful, totally rad and slick Fiesta Red!!! Beautiful.

Now let's look at ugly, children's toy looking gross Candy Apple red :(

Why on god's grey earth would Fender put out so many disgusting Candy Apple Red guitars but the clearly superior Fiesta Red is so much more hard to find?

Gareth Liddiard from Tropical gently caress Storm/The Drones plays a beat to hell CAR Jaguar, therefore they're cool :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4F8fV5zUpE&t=2475s