Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Shogunner posted:

Apparently it's pretty decent, even for multiclass racing. Once this stupid market hold clears and I sell this $25 CS:GO crate I will buy it and report back. BTW hi sim racing goons, I am a sim racing goon. I got full Fanatec Clubsport on a Playseat Challenge, race in VR exclusively, and am joining the iRacing Le Mans series next season. glad 2 be here happy 2 help :)

Make sure you join us for Friday and Sunday league sessions if you can! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Hey so I've just played a few races in project cars 3. This isn't a sim racer, it's not even a decent arcadey game like the nfs shift games. Feels like it might be a rework or rebrand of the lovely f2p game Slightly Mad was working on a few years ago. It's honestly tragic, it doesn't even look good visually.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

hopterque posted:

Hey so I've just played a few races in project cars 3. This isn't a sim racer, it's not even a decent arcadey game like the nfs shift games. Feels like it might be a rework or rebrand of the lovely f2p game Slightly Mad was working on a few years ago. It's honestly tragic, it doesn't even look good visually.

I watched some of Jimmy Broadbent's livestream and while it looked like it was kind of silly fun to slide cars around a bit, it's not anything that looked like it would last more than maybe 20 minutes. Easily a no-buy from me. I love serious sim racing, I have a ridiculous rig for it, but I also enjoy a good Forza Horizon type game and I was somewhat hopeful for this one, but it seems to have completely fallen flat. It's going to be interesting to see how Dirt 5 goes. Normally with rally I'm fairly serious about it, but this one it looks like I may go controller on the couch and play co-op with the wife like we do with forza horizon.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Dirt 5 is explicitly not trying to be a sim, its more rolling back to the Dirt 3 style and will probably be better for it given how Dirt 4 tried to be both and pleased no-one.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

hopterque posted:

Requested a refund just now. This game is an absolute horrid piece of poo poo. I can't believe what I saw in the 80 minutes I played it. Everything I liked about Project CARS 1 & 2 was removed in favor of making something more like Need for Speed or the early Codemaster games.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

njsykora posted:

Dirt 5 is explicitly not trying to be a sim, its more rolling back to the Dirt 3 style and will probably be better for it given how Dirt 4 tried to be both and pleased no-one.

Right, which is why I suspect my wife and I will play it a lot if we can make it work since her favorite in Forza Horizon was always dirt racing. I think it should be pretty fun!

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

I said come in! posted:

Requested a refund just now. This game is an absolute horrid piece of poo poo. I can't believe what I saw in the 80 minutes I played it. Everything I liked about Project CARS 1 & 2 was removed in favor of making something more like Need for Speed or the early Codemaster games.

Yeah but it's not even as good as those games. Like, if it were just an arcadey racer that functioned as Shift 3 or something along the lines of the original GRID, great, but this is significantly worse than those games.

My very initial impression was like "wait this is just shift 3" with the corner mastering and racing line objectives and stuff but that lasted all of one race, because shift 1 and 2 were miles better to play in basically every way. Shift 2 still has, imo, an unmatched feel of speed and is genuinely intense to play in cockpit view.

Also I genuinely thought the graphics settings were turned way down by default (it doesn't actually let you adjust your settings until you've done the first two races) but I went into the menu and it had defaulted to almost max settings and still looked just awful, like a game from 5 years ago or more.

hopterque fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Aug 25, 2020

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

Fellblade posted:

Make sure you join us for Friday and Sunday league sessions if you can! :)

Is there a thread for these? Definitely interested in doing some league stuff!

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Shogunner posted:

Is there a thread for these? Definitely interested in doing some league stuff!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3789348

Second post, though the discord is the place to be.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

hopterque posted:

Also I genuinely thought the graphics settings were turned way down by default (it doesn't actually let you adjust your settings until you've done the first two races) but I went into the menu and it had defaulted to almost max settings and still looked just awful, like a game from 5 years ago or more.

I had the exact same thought. I was wondering why it was weird that the game would just start on the lowest settings possible, so I went to the menu when I was able, and then whoa it turned out I was at max settings. What the gently caress was Slightly Mad thinking with this game?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

hopterque posted:

Jimmy hates it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqUyKhUHjqY

I thought maybe if the campaign was good I could enjoy it as a Forza-like even if I was disappointing they dropped the sim side of tires and pit stops and stuff

But from the sound of things its just dogshit on a wheel period and basically just NOT a sim game at all in any way

I said come in! posted:

What the gently caress was Slightly Mad thinking with this game?

"We just got bought out by codemasters so lets make a quick profit on the PCars brand and then dump it"

Alternatively plans may have been altered by that same acquisition, maybe they ended up having to rush it out or something because codemasters wants them to do something else IDK

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Aug 25, 2020

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I generally loved P Cars 2 and 1 to a lesser extent, but 3 is the first big racing game release in yeeeeeears that I have absolutely zero interest in and won't buy.
It's aimed itself squarely at the middle ground between sim and arcade and somehow missed, it's baffling.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

I feel similar. I think when I red the headline "Project Cars 3 will not have tyre wear" I was like "wait, Project Cars 3 is beeing made?" and "wait, it doesn't have tyre wear?"

I absolutely enjoy a round of Project Cars 2 every now and then. Not the best sim, not the best physics, certainly not the best AI etc., but it's fun to gently caress around with, and definitely my goto sim for people who visit (before 2020) that wanted to experience a race sim in VR, because it's just looks beautiful.

But it's also this kind of "kitchen sink" race sim with too many cars, imo. There is so much stuff that either drives completely different from the real thing, or so much stuff that drives nearly exactly the same as <random other car in same class>. Basically quantity over quality.

Still think PCars 2 is cool and good, but I had zero interest in PCars 3 when I heard what they are doing with it. Seeing these vids now though is even worse, it truly looks like a last-gen game.

I think I'll give Automobilista 2 a try, though.

tuo fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Aug 26, 2020

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

I grabbed AMS2 in a sale at some point but I still haven't gotten around to configuring it, mostly because my back has been too hosed to even get in the sim rig over the last month :(. I couldn't bring myself to spend $100 on the season pass or whatever though, and I'm not quite sure how I feel about the price on that. I think it's gonna be a wait and see for it, and it'll either show itself to be worth it or it'll go on sale.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

It will go on sale at some point, and they've put up a separate bundle for just the 5 track DLCs (Hockenheim, Silverstone, Spa and 2 more unannounced) which is probably a good idea.

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

I am a marketing god, shave that shit

peter gabriel posted:

I generally loved P Cars 2 and 1 to a lesser extent, but 3 is the first big racing game release in yeeeeeears that I have absolutely zero interest in and won't buy.
It's aimed itself squarely at the middle ground between sim and arcade and somehow missed, it's baffling.

Come iRace

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

VealCutlet posted:

Come iRace

I have an account, but I struggle to make it work for me, my game time is really really sporadic and there isn't much of it at the moment either.
irading in vr with the voice chat is legit one of my favourite things though, it's so cool.
Stock cars, a few laps in, it's a certainty you'll hear 'are you loving kidding me' :laugh:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

peter gabriel posted:

I have an account, but I struggle to make it work for me, my game time is really really sporadic and there isn't much of it at the moment either.
irading in vr with the voice chat is legit one of my favourite things though, it's so cool.
Stock cars, a few laps in, it's a certainty you'll hear 'are you loving kidding me' :laugh:

Guys it's only the first lap.

I'm the same I really like iracing but I have a hard time making it work. I think this winter I'll give it a shot.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

tater_salad posted:

Guys it's only the first lap.

I'm the same I really like iracing but I have a hard time making it work. I think this winter I'll give it a shot.

I will make time for it as I do love it, it's unique still to this day in making a race feel like an event.

In other news, P Cars 3 - you know times are bad when IGN gives you a 6 :lol:

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
Is there a thread consensus on Next Level cockpits? Specifically the F-GT? In my unemployment boredom, I've been pricing together a triple monitor rig for if (hopefully when) I land some full-time work.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Abner Assington posted:

Is there a thread consensus on Next Level cockpits? Specifically the F-GT? In my unemployment boredom, I've been pricing together a triple monitor rig for if (hopefully when) I land some full-time work.

I have one. I like it, but I do want to give you some warnings going in. One is, switching between F and GT modes does take some wrenching and a few minutes of effort, its not like you can snap back and forth between. As a result, I basically just leave mine permanently in the GT configuration.

Next, the instructions that come with it do not mention this, but if you go to the website, it warns you that YOU MUST :siren: check and make sure the bars that come pre-installed at the bottom of the seat are actually aligned.

In my case, I assumed the pre-installed parts were... correctly pre-installed. Either the factory screwed it up royally or they shifted heavily during shipping. The instructions just tell you to start attaching things, which works up to a point, but then if you keep going you'll realize only at the very last step that nothing lines up and you can't actually finish the build. Worse, in my case, trying to force it caused some parts to permanently warp.

The good news is that their customer service was nice enough to send me replacement parts. The bad news is it took like, I think a couple months of back and forth because it shipped from the factory and then they didn't even send the right part the first time...

:words:

Anyways its a pretty nice and sturdy seat once you get it set up. The actual set back is kinda flat and I think more of a bucket seat would be nicer, but it does come with a lumbar support cushion. Otherwise, its very sturdy, thick metal that is all coated black, looks pretty nice. The seat itself is adjustable and slides in and out like a car seat and can also kinda lean back and forward (but with only 3 configuration holes, not like a full spring setup or whatever)

Hopefully that gives you plenty of info to know if its what you want or not. I've had mine for a few years now and its held up. I actually just went through moving with the thing, and it came apart and went back together without much issue.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

I also have one and it’s pretty much the only reasonably priced cockpit with a formula seating position. I love it.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
Yeah, I feel like I would leave it pretty much in the kinda-sorta-but-not-really-F1 seating, since those Playseat ones are like $1500-3000, which is kind of laughable.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

anecdotal, but it's worth mentioning that when I went for a more formula-style seating position with my rig it put a lot of pressure on my lower back/coccyx which became uncomfortable after a while. Simracers probably spend a lot more time in the seat than real f1 drivers so it's worth thinking about ergonomics a bit. I basically followed the guide from VRS for my setup: https://virtualracingschool.com/academy/iracing-career-guide/season-one/ergonomics/

e: also we were discussing "faff" in the discord just yesterday. the more hassle it is to get set up the more motivation you have to summon to practice/jump into a session. If you did an endurance race (GT style seating) in the afternoon then had to switch to an open wheel car (formula seating) for gooncar in the evening you might find yourself annoyed at having to bolt/unbolt and move everything and end up skipping the gooncar (NEVER skip gooncar!)

NtotheTC fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Aug 30, 2020

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe
I bought a Next Level GT Track because I upgraded to a DD wheel, and I've been really happy with it. I've heard people complain of flex, but mine feels rock solid, even if I really crank up the force feedback.

And speaking of Next Level, I recently tried a setup with a Next Level Motion Platform, and while it is good fun I'd put a DD wheel way above it in terms of immersion - and I don't think the Motion Platform is worth the price.

advion
Jul 25, 2005

Steen71 posted:

I bought a Next Level GT Track because I upgraded to a DD wheel, and I've been really happy with it. I've heard people complain of flex, but mine feels rock solid, even if I really crank up the force feedback.

And speaking of Next Level, I recently tried a setup with a Next Level Motion Platform, and while it is good fun I'd put a DD wheel way above it in terms of immersion - and I don't think the Motion Platform is worth the price.

If any rig moves more than 1mm under load people complain about flex though.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

I built a cockpit out of wood because I'm a poor, but I did take out a nice leather seat from my old 2003 Honda Civic to use before I scrapped it. I honestly think a decent regular car seat is best for sim racing.

I have thought it would be cool to have like a racing bucket seat, but then I already have back issues at 34. A normal car seat is made to sit in for hours at a time though so you can't really go wrong. I have no idea how well a normal car seat would fit onto one of the pre-made rigs though, I imagine it could be quite a hassle depending on the bolt points.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

As a fellow woodrig-haver I can confirm that an actual car seat is amazing. They’re built to be sat in for hours on end

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
My rig is MDF and PVC with a seat from a geo metro. It rules. I swap between a yoke/rudder pedals/throttle quadrant and a wheel/shifter/pedals setup by swapping out the MDF panels.

It’s also built just lovely enough that it all stays together but when the wheel vibrates because I’m in the wrong gear in American Truck Simulator it makes the whole thing shake.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Yeah, racecar seats are meant to be safe and rigid, and they suck to sit in. Definitely get a comfy passenger car seat for a sim rig.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

NtotheTC posted:

e: also we were discussing "faff" in the discord just yesterday. the more hassle it is to get set up the more motivation you have to summon to practice/jump into a session. If you did an endurance race (GT style seating) in the afternoon then had to switch to an open wheel car (formula seating) for gooncar in the evening you might find yourself annoyed at having to bolt/unbolt and move everything and end up skipping the gooncar (NEVER skip gooncar!)

Yeah this is a big deal. Having my rig or my VR headset folded away in a closet makes it take long enough to get everything set up that I rarely race.

Having my rig permanently set up in a room and ready to go makes a big difference. Now I've got the VR permanently good to go too and its even better.

Now if I could just solve the times with Windows shits the bed and refuses to recognize devices...

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah this is a big deal. Having my rig or my VR headset folded away in a closet makes it take long enough to get everything set up that I rarely race.

Having my rig permanently set up in a room and ready to go makes a big difference. Now I've got the VR permanently good to go too and its even better.

Now if I could just solve the times with Windows shits the bed and refuses to recognize devices...

Windows making GBS threads the bed is what ties us together as sim racers. Nay. Humans.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
If my Golf was just a little more dead I would have yanked the seat from it. Comfy, but had nice bolstering, but I sold it to CarMax instead.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Scrap yards are good places to look

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

NtotheTC posted:

Scrap yards are good places to look

Also for purposes of a sim seat that doesn't actually need to hold you in place I recommend looking at sported up shitboxes as well as actual performance cars. My two homebrew racing seats used seats from a Mazda MX6 (Ford Probe) and a Hyundai Tiburon.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

The real simracing experience is updating twentythree drivers (because you did something different for two weeks) for all the stupid stuff you attached to your PC only to witness windows updating as well, and then coming back when everyone else is already on track to find that your FFB settings have been wiped, two of the other important peripherals no longer work and brake is now clutch and throttle is now mouse x, inverted.

You know, like Ferrari in F1.

tuo fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Aug 31, 2020

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

wolrah posted:

Also for purposes of a sim seat that doesn't actually need to hold you in place I recommend looking at sported up shitboxes as well as actual performance cars. My two homebrew racing seats used seats from a Mazda MX6 (Ford Probe) and a Hyundai Tiburon.

Focus ST seat here. Comfy and looks decent to boot. $25 on Facebook marketplace. Can’t go wrong

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

tuo posted:

The real simracing experience is updating twentythree drivers (because you did something different for two weeks) for all the stupid stuff you attached to your PC only to witness windows updating as well, and then coming back when everyone else is already on track to find that your FFB settings have been wiped, two of the other important peripherals no longer work and brake is now clutch and throttle is now mouse x, inverted.

Luckily windows now has the option to restart without updating. A couple of my gooncar sessions were abandoned because some peripheral didn't work, so I had to restart, but of course windows also wanted to update.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Abner Assington posted:

Yeah, I feel like I would leave it pretty much in the kinda-sorta-but-not-really-F1 seating, since those Playseat ones are like $1500-3000, which is kind of laughable.

I have a Playseat Sensation Pro which falls into the "laughable" category at around $2000, but I got it for myself as a christmas present and I honestly really am quite happy with it for the most part. The seat is pretty comfortable for long sessions (although I had to add something in for lumbar support), the tilt-wheeltray works great even with a Simucube 2 Pro, the seat sliding works pretty well (although it feels somewhat flimsy, it locks into place really nicely) and after I made a custom mount adapter for how I want my rally shifter/handbrake setup, I love the thing. My only complaint is the tilty wheeltray doesn't really lend itself to a buttonbox so I ended up attaching my buttonbox to my shifter mount, which works plenty well enough.

It's grossly overpriced, and the built-in monitor stand it has really limits what monitors you can use (although it can be easily replaced and would need to be for sure with triples), but I don't regret the purchase at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

tuo posted:

If I had a nickle for every time I tested my rig in the morning, signed up for an iRace in the afternoon, popped into practice only to find the wheel isn't being recognized at all, unplug, replug, restart computer, and get back into VR just as the race has already started

Cojawfee posted:

Luckily windows now has the option to restart without updating. A couple of my gooncar sessions were abandoned because some peripheral didn't work, so I had to restart, but of course windows also wanted to update.

I was so so happy they finally relented and added that back. Seeing "shut down", "shut down and update", "restart", and "restart and update" as 4 distinct options made me legit happy and very thankful that MS pulled their heads out of their asses. Sometimes I need to reboot right now but it is NOT a convenient time to update! I'll get around to it in 2 hours Microsoft, deal with it.

Unfortunately, they force-installed Microsoft Edge onto my computer again the next day, with a big full-screen forced popup about "CHECK OUT OUR NEW BROWSER ITS THE BEST" so gently caress MS forever