Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

You know Indiana Jones wasn't the only thing to do it right

I don’t know that. It’s the only thing I can reasonably think of.

Hell I think it’s more a trope now than it eve was in the 80s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

hard counter posted:

in tim's eyes it was always a genuine home improvement show where he could impress audiences at home with his practical know-how, but, because of his primal urge to overclock everything and constant screw-ups, it came off as a dyi goofus and gallant to in-universe audiences and they loved it under those terms

ofc audiences at home thought the screw-ups were staged and meant to be instructive instead ol' tim dangerously overcharging equipment just so he can grunt himself into a manly frenzy

That is the best explanation I’ve ever heard, so thank you for that.

Now do Family Matters

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

CharlestheHammer posted:

I don’t know that. It’s the only thing I can reasonably think of.

Hell I think it’s more a trope now than it eve was in the 80s

At the very least no one argued against killing Nazis back then. (see: the latest Wolfenstein game released a year or two ago)

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I think Murphy Brown fell off harder, or at least had further to fall to the same level of “completely forgotten”.

I just looked up Murphy Brown to remind myself on when it aired, and what the gently caress? It had a 2018 revival?

I can't imagine that it was any good at all.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Krispy Wafer posted:

For a couple of years there, TV networks were grabbing every decent stand-up comic they could to adapt to a TV show. I guess it was an over-reaction to Rosanne and Cosby's success.

So you ended up with Home Improvement, Grace Under Fire, Drew Carey, Seinfeld, Mad About You, Martin, Ellen, etc. It got to the point where there was a shortage of comics touring because all the good ones were doing TV shows. And all the shows were mostly formulaic and forgettable except for maybe Seinfeld.

Even Jeff Foxworthy had a show.

Not only that, but it had both Jonathan Lipnicki AND Haley Joel Osment before either of them were really "main stream" famous for Jerry McGuire and The Sixth Sense, respectively.

Edit: Well maybe Lipnicki was around the same time I guess, not before Jerry McGuire? Maybe slightly after? hard to know what with TV and movie shooting and release schedules.

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 17:46 on Aug 25, 2020

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
There's probably a decent academic paper that could be written on popular cultural portrayal of Nazis over the last 40 years.

Somehow they went from the dumbasses in Hogan's Heroes and the Indiana Nazis in Blues Brothers to something people actually aspire to. I blame the internet.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Pretty much this. I've heard of conventions banning people from cosplaying as Stroheim or Red Skull or other Nazi characters and I can't say I blame them.

Doesn't help you had Hetalia getting weebs to dress up in nazi uniforms and march around for increasingly flimsy justifications of tee-hee homoeroticism

Krispy Wafer posted:

There's probably a decent academic paper that could be written on popular cultural portrayal of Nazis over the last 40 years.

Somehow they went from the dumbasses in Hogan's Heroes and the Indiana Nazis in Blues Brothers to something people actually aspire to. I blame the internet.

The dark secret is that they never actually went away.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Vandar posted:

I just looked up Murphy Brown to remind myself on when it aired, and what the gently caress? It had a 2018 revival?

I can't imagine that it was any good at all.

They tried their best to readjust it to the current media landscape and it didn't work. They even added a bizarre meta joke about Murphy having once gone on a single date with Trump decades ago, which is something Candice Bergen did in real life.

AceOfFlames has a new favorite as of 18:02 on Aug 25, 2020

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Yeah, my parents loved the 2018 Murphy Brown, and forced me to watch it when I visited for christmas. Christ did it suck, I can't help but think that the revival trend is just because Boomers are getting scared of new things on TV.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Krispy Wafer posted:

For a couple of years there, TV networks were grabbing every decent stand-up comic they could to adapt to a TV show. I guess it was an over-reaction to Rosanne and Cosby's success.

So you ended up with Home Improvement, Grace Under Fire, Drew Carey, Seinfeld, Mad About You, Martin, Ellen, etc. It got to the point where there was a shortage of comics touring because all the good ones were doing TV shows. And all the shows were mostly formulaic and forgettable except for maybe Seinfeld.

seinfeld was obviously the s tier of all of them but i liked drew carey and martin. home improvement is middling but the rest were bad. Although maybe drew and martin didnt age well i havent rewatched lately but i do remember both doing drag but i do remember them not really being done in a negative way but i was a kid when i watched them in the 90s.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Doesn't help you had Hetalia getting weebs to dress up in nazi uniforms and march around for increasingly flimsy justifications of tee-hee homoeroticism

Don't remind me of the Hetalia fandom.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I looked it up, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revival_(television), I'm not sure I'd count everything on that list, but YMMV

The current run of revivals seems to have been mostly a 2016-2018 thing which is probably why it was noticable. They've been around for a while though, but it seems like it was just one show every few years getting a rebooted season.

For whatever reason during the '16-'18 years the TV gods decreed that it was a good idea to restart several formerly high-profile programs, and they pretty much followed the pattern of previous decades' attempts, burning out after one or two seasons.

The 2019/2020 trend seems to be focused on rebooting 90's/00's programs aimed at children.

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

Krispy Wafer posted:

I’ve always loved the Colonel Klink was played by a Jewish actor who took the whole specifically to portray Nazis as buffoons.

There was a show on Amazon this year called Hunters that was about a group of vigilantes hunting escaped Nazis in 1970s New York. I didn’t care much for the show for a few reasons, but my biggest issue with it was the portrayal of the Nazi characters. Almost to a man, they were portrayed as these badass, almost super-human killing machines. I get that you need to make the villains scary and dangerous to create tension, but this show just seemed to take it overboard.

The first scene in the series has this Nazi who has been living undercover as an American for 30 years being recognized, so he whips out a pistol and guns down about a dozen people at a party without missing a single shot. And be turns out to be one of the less scary bad guys in the show. The Nazis were evil, they weren’t loving terminators.

(And yes, I know the show was intended to be pulpy and not realistic- I’m still not a fan of making Nazis just seem so competent)

letthereberock has a new favorite as of 18:34 on Aug 25, 2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Iron Crowned posted:

I looked it up, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revival_(television), I'm not sure I'd count everything on that list, but YMMV

The current run of revivals seems to have been mostly a 2016-2018 thing which is probably why it was noticable. They've been around for a while though, but it seems like it was just one show every few years getting a rebooted season.

For whatever reason during the '16-'18 years the TV gods decreed that it was a good idea to restart several formerly high-profile programs, and they pretty much followed the pattern of previous decades' attempts, burning out after one or two seasons.

The 2019/2020 trend seems to be focused on rebooting 90's/00's programs aimed at children.

It’s interesting because the trend started in the late 2000’s/early 2010’s with well-received comedies from the early 2000’s, that were cancelled fairly early on, by Fox, and had a significant audience desire for a revival. Arrested Development, Futurama, and Family Guy. And even with people wanting them the only one that was really successful in any major way was Family Guy.

The 16-18 ones have been trying to tap into nostalgia for some show that ran for a number of seasons and finished more or less on their own terms, and that no one was asking for. It’s the weirdest thing, when even the stuff people wanted back didn’t go great, why would you bring back even older shows no one has cared about in 20 years?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It’s interesting because the trend started in the late 2000’s/early 2010’s with well-received comedies from the early 2000’s, that were cancelled fairly early on, by Fox, and had a significant audience desire for a revival. Arrested Development, Futurama, and Family Guy. And even with people wanting them the only one that was really successful in any major way was Family Guy.

The 16-18 ones have been trying to tap into nostalgia for some show that ran for a number of seasons and finished more or less on their own terms, and that no one was asking for. It’s the weirdest thing, when even the stuff people wanted back didn’t go great, why would you bring back even older shows no one has cared about in 20 years?

suits have literally no idea what people like or why and just throw familiar names on things

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
The Rosanne reboot was pretty popular. I think the Connors is still doing alright, but they also figured out Dan is a much better main character than Rosanne.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

There’s an awkward Scrubs episode where half of the cast is pro Iraq war and the other half is anti-war, and the pro war side has aged super terribly, and there’s a ton of islamophobic jokes to add onto it.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

DrBouvenstein posted:

Even Jeff Foxworthy had a show.

Not only that, but it had both Jonathan Lipnicki AND Haley Joel Osment before either of them were really "main stream" famous for Jerry McGuire and The Sixth Sense, respectively.

Edit: Well maybe Lipnicki was around the same time I guess, not before Jerry McGuire? Maybe slightly after? hard to know what with TV and movie shooting and release schedules.

And Bill "Here's Yer Sign" Engvall had a show, with future Oscar winner Jennifer Lawrence playing one of his kids.

As you do.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

letthereberock posted:

I just remember all the mileage they got out of Dan Quayle picking a fight with them. Like, how would you even explain Dan Quayle to someone growing up in the age of Trump?

“Why did people make fun of this Quayle guy so much?”
“Well he publicly condemned a fictional character for having a child out of wedlock.”
“Oh- but did he do anything like openly try to tank the stock of companies he didn’t like, or talk about wanting to have sex with his daughter?”
“No, but he did once spell potato wrong and that was a big deal.”
“The 90s sound nice”

He didn't actually even spell potato wrong, he was doing a puff spelling bee and the answer card had potato spelled wrong.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
George Carlin had a loving sitcom for a year or two in the mid-90s.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Hell, there was a freaking Pinky and the Brain episode where Brain became a stand up comedian to get his own sitcom so he could use mind control teeth or whatever to takeover the world.

Granted, both P&B and Animaniacs had super inside Hollywood baseball jokes but still.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

I didn't get half the jokes on Pinky and the Brain and Animaniacs yet they were two of my favorite cartoons back then.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

muscles like this! posted:

He didn't actually even spell potato wrong, he was doing a puff spelling bee and the answer card had potato spelled wrong.

and for this sin he's immortalized as the lowest ranking score you can get in civilization if you lose real bad

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
The Civilization developers have better update that poo poo as soon as somebody can't ban Firaxis as a national security threat.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Dude was kind of a dumb goof in general, though.

Man, I miss the days when we could actually be upset at the Republicans for running a dumb goof for VP.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I didn't get half the jokes on Pinky and the Brain and Animaniacs yet they were two of my favorite cartoons back then.

My favorite obscure P&B line was during the Frozen Peas parody (which was already obscure in and of itself) where Brain kicks everyone in the studio out and one woman goes "I can't believe that guy! I Taft-Hartley'd him on his first job!"

I can't imagine anyone who didn't work in the film industry to have gotten that at the time the show originally aired. I only got it after recalling the name for some reason and googling.

Krispy Wafer posted:

The Civilization developers have better update that poo poo as soon as somebody can't ban Firaxis as a national security threat.

:agreed:

AceOfFlames has a new favorite as of 22:29 on Aug 25, 2020

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Obligatory:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lY2kC5fZG64

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

He was watching the kid write potato on the board, which the kid did correctly. Then Dan basically forces him to add an E on the end and then congratulates him. So even if it was written down wrong for him (he did have a card in his hand, but should he need that for a third grade spelling?), he didn't recognize right spelling of potato.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
pot, a toe, a female toe

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

MrUnderbridge posted:

He was watching the kid write potato on the board, which the kid did correctly. Then Dan basically forces him to add an E on the end and then congratulates him. So even if it was written down wrong for him (he did have a card in his hand, but should he need that for a third grade spelling?), he didn't recognize right spelling of potato.

He's said he thought the card was wrong but he decided to trust the people who set it up.

Groke posted:

Dude was kind of a dumb goof in general, though.

Man, I miss the days when we could actually be upset at the Republicans for running a dumb goof for VP.

Yeah, he was definitely a doof what with all the other dumb stuff he said.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

sweeperbravo posted:

pot, a toe, a female toe

veep, a name, he calls himself

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

sweeperbravo posted:

pot, a toe, a female toe

Potatoe Woman Man Camera TV

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
I knew that the drill sergeant from Full Metal Jacket was a memorable character, but the actor got multiple tv shows out of it where he seems to reprise his role from that movie, and apparently people love the character. Seems weird for a film partly about how war breaks down young men in a wholly unhealthy way, and a character whose abuse most directly led to a boy's mental episode and murder-suicide.

Kevin DuBrow has a new favorite as of 02:12 on Aug 26, 2020

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Kevin DuBrow posted:

I knew that the drill sergeant from Full Metal Jacket was a memorable character, but the actor got multiple tv shows out of it where he seems to reprise his role from that movie, and apparently people love the character. Seems weird for a film partly about how war breaks down young men in a wholly unhealthy way, and a character whose abuse most directly led to a boy's mental episode and murder-suicide.

To be fair, he also got Mail Bag out of it and he was really nice on that.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
R. Lee Ermey because the de facto popular culture image of a drill sergeant or NCO type in American media. He voiced the leader of the toy soldiers in the first three Toy Story movies and showed up in tons of other stuff, for example. All the colorful/profane yelling parts of the first half of Full Metal Jacket are obviously the most well remembered parts of that movie, even if it wasn’t supposed to be stuff to be idolized or exactly good given what happened to Pvt. Pyle...

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

MrUnderbridge posted:

Again, we are arguing over whether or not the guy knew the correct spelling of potato, while the current president says in front of the world that he is loving with the post office to increase his re-election chances. Just think about that and tell me you don’t want to walk into the ocean.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

wa27 posted:

It always seemed like an entertainment show with home improvement topics. Kind of like cooking shows like Rachel Ray or something where they crack jokes to the audience while actually teaching a bit of cooking. And Tim was supposed to be the jokester while Al was the straight man. BUT I don't think and of the physical comedy was supposed to be intentional or an act.

Mythbusters, but Al was Jamie and Tim was Adam Savage.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Story goes, R. Lee Ermey is a very rare case of Kubrick allowing someone to ad-lib- he was originally just brought in as a consultant on how to play a Vietnam-era drill instructor, since he was the real thing. After a meeting that turned into an improv session that left both men hoarse, Kubrick decided to just have Ermey play the role.

Ermey also had to pause in a scene to gently explain to Kubrick what a 'reach-around' was.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Krispy Wafer posted:

Don’t forget about Illinois Jones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Mythbusters, but Al was Jamie and Tim was Adam Savage.

Savage is extremely competent though?