Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

bicievino posted:

bummer.

Next time!
They should be doing some more events before end of the summer, and I'll plan accordingly. I was like 4 tall PBR's deep when I found out my actual start time was not 3 pm but actually 9 am. Getting old! :corsair:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

e.pilot posted:

Yep, should have it back in a couple of weeks.

Gonna make it purple?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

hoping for greige personally

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

nm posted:

Gonna make it purple?

do other colors exist?

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

yoohoo posted:

Worth every penny.

FWIW I still have yet to hear someone articulate why 1UP is worth the premium over, say, Kuat (which is itself pretty pricey). I've been perfectly happy with my Kuat, so consider those also. Anecdotally where I live (and I acknowledge this is not true everywhere), I see 1Up racks highly correlated with conspicuous consumption like luxury SUVs (range rovers, etc), and also with having lovely bikes (weirdly)

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I really like the buzz rack I got from amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/BUZZRACK-Approach-Platform-Compatible-Additional/dp/B06XG5V1TQ/ref=sr_1_1

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

e.pilot posted:

:siren::siren::siren::siren: TOMORROW IS THE DAY :siren::siren::siren::siren:

If you have submitted an order and haven't gotten an email from me, please let me know.

If you have submitted an order and haven't paid yet, I will be accounting for that tomorrow and will not place your order (I believe everyone has paid, but I haven't run the numbers yet)

This was a lot more popular than I had anticipated so no extensions on time or anything beyond 0000z tomorrow, I already have enough work ahead of me to get everything in order.

And we're done, waiting on payment from one last minute person and if it's not in by morning it's all getting ordered tomorrow. Putting the order together now!

Final total was 46 jerseys and a mess of bibs and hats. :eyepop:

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Aug 25, 2020

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

e.pilot posted:

do other colors exist?

Pink.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I crashed pretty loving hard yesterday. I did a dumb which everyone should watch out for: I buy expensive parts for my bikes and I love building them and looking around for just the right part that's going to complete the look.

This led me to using mostly racing parts, including ODI and Box racing grips. Racing grips are designed to be used with gloves, but I'm not wearing gloves. So like an idiot, my hands get super sweaty and slide off the grip and I ended up hurting some ribs and I'm off the bike for probably 3-4 weeks.

The lesson is; racing gear isn't always the best choice, and be conscious of the intended use for the parts you put on your bikes, especially if you're doing aggressive riding.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

That sucks dude, hope you have a speedy recovery.

Yet another reason to always wear gloves. Feels weird biking without them.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
:siren::siren::siren::siren:Order is in, keep in mind it is AliExpress, so it will arrive in approximately eventually:siren::siren::siren::siren:

:siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren:
e:
I apparently hosed up the math on how Barton does orders, if you ordered a complete kit (jersey and bib) the cost will be an extra $5 versus what I thought it was going to be, I will send out emails as applicable.

ee:
Also apparently AliExpress charges state sales tax, I am in California so I am 8.5% short on every order, I have hosed this up mightily, more emails will be going out shortly.

eee:
Apparently there are extra fees for international PayPal, if your order is international you can do the $5, tax, and shipping all in one go once I get the jerseys in.

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Aug 25, 2020

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Guinness posted:

That sucks dude, hope you have a speedy recovery.

Yet another reason to always wear gloves. Feels weird biking without them.

always always always wear gloves.

phil gaimon just did a video about it, his hands got fuuuuuuuckkkked up in a crash last year

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Aug 25, 2020

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

did a 40 km in 1:05 tonight. down two minutes from my last effort. still need to put deep section tubs on my bike. would love to shave off another couple minutes before the end of the nice weather.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Figure I'd take the time to post about my last big bike ride.

Manitoba is mostly flat. Riding here can sometimes be a tad... tedious. If you sick to the middle part and don't leave the pavement.

Head west a few hours outside of Winnipeg and you can go up and down some really steep punchy climbs along the Pembina Escarpment where the Agassiz Grind is held just outside Roseisle, the Bear Bait 100 takes place outside Riding Mountain National Park and there's really good mountain biking at the North Gate MTB trails, East Gate trails in RMNP proper, and a ton of gravel to be had. The main road through the park is also a really good paved road route.

I wanted something different this time around though so I went East, into The Whiteshell.

This place is proper big. There's good MTB to be had at Blue Highway and Falcon Lake, some gravel, and a lot of very quiet pavement. Just don't go on a long weekend when the roads are clogged with campers. On a normal Tuesday though there's barely a soul in sight. I figured I'd go north along 307 to Pinewood Lodge, there'd at least be some sort of food there and it'd make for a 100km out and back which is p much all I usually want to do in a single ride. I'd already done 50km that morning on my sketchy Tuesday Thursday morning group ride and I didn't really want to burn myself out too much. 150 broken up with a few hour car ride in the middle sounded fine.

Decided on the Journeyman running my new wheel set with 35mm Gravelkings. I knew at some point I was going to see something interesting and want to leave the pavement so I didn't bother with road tires because that's how I roll. Stuffed my supplies in a frame bag Lezyne is apparently going to start selling next year. The more space I have the more crap I take on a ride but at least I had Gatorade. Good thing because it was stupid hot.

Oh goody.

The Whiteshell has tons of camping areas. Some easily accessible, some a bit of a trek to get to. A few you're gonna paddle through a tunnel just big enough to get a canoe through, and a bunch more you're going to portage once or thrice so I hope you packed light. I passed a ton of the easily accessible car camping sites along the way.

Most of it though was rocks, trees, water, and road. Pretty, though. I didn't take a ton of shots of the road because I find the more pictures I take the less I just take in.

But then opportunity knocks...

I'm a little torn about The Great Trail. A lot of it is just 'follow this route on the shoulder of these highways for a stupid long distance' which isn't really a trail it's just walking along the highway. Follow the signs on the sections that aren't just hiking on the shoulder of the road and it's usually pretty nice.

Scratch that, it's breathtaking.

I wish imgur supported panoramas.

Back on the highway for a bit, which is more rocks, trees, pavement and pretty lakes.

When I saw another Great Trail sign I took the detour where I was faced with a bunch of incredibly boring tractor path and blackflies biting my hands THROUGH MY GLOVES.

Totally worth it though. Pictures didn't do the view of this valley justice.

DO NOT LET THE BORING TRACTOR PATH DESCENT BORE YOU TOO MUCH OR YOU'LL GET DISTRACTED AND RUN INTO BLIND CORNER BENNY THE BIKE KILLING TREE

Back on the road and oh hell yes ice cream.

Actually screw ice cream.

They actually had radlers. Bud light radler, sure, but I didn't care. Surprisingly it was pretty good! Down the hatch and back on the road yet again until I came across this place called Pine Point Rapids where I rode a sketchy trail definitely not meant for bikes that culminated in laying the bike down hopping up on to this off camber chunk of billion year old granite because my tires were wet, and bending my derailleur hanger. Don't follow me, I do stupid things.

But it was totally worth it because this place is awesome and I'm totally going back and bringing yet another bag with my swimming stuff in it.

Swapped out the hanger with the spare I keep on every bike I own because again don't follow me I do stupid things and I'm again on the road for the final stretch.

I always do these sort of detours on the way out because I knew I was going to be bagged enough that on the way back I'd start skipping things. By the time I arrived at the half way mark it had already been well over 100km for the day. The view of the Winnipeg River was nice, but my lunch was rear end. Stupid Covid, they weren't even serving half decent take out. I could have waited 20 minutes for a mediocre pizza but at that point I really needed to get home.

The ride home was 100% pavement with a headwind and grueling. I stopped for water and a few leg cramps only. No pictures except for the radio tower, because that meant the end of a series of kinda punchy painful little hills.

All in, this ride was 120km. Combined with the regular early AM hammer fest where I won the second sprint it put the the day's total at 170km. It hurt. It ruled. Bikes are good.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Aug 25, 2020

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Salt Fish posted:

I crashed pretty loving hard yesterday.
gently caress this sucks so much. Get well soon

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Salt Fish posted:

I crashed pretty loving hard yesterday. I did a dumb which everyone should watch out for: I buy expensive parts for my bikes and I love building them and looking around for just the right part that's going to complete the look.

This led me to using mostly racing parts, including ODI and Box racing grips. Racing grips are designed to be used with gloves, but I'm not wearing gloves. So like an idiot, my hands get super sweaty and slide off the grip and I ended up hurting some ribs and I'm off the bike for probably 3-4 weeks.

The lesson is; racing gear isn't always the best choice, and be conscious of the intended use for the parts you put on your bikes, especially if you're doing aggressive riding.

Sucks, man. Hoping for a speedy recovery.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Salt Fish posted:

I crashed pretty loving hard yesterday.

drat dude heal up quick. Quick web search tells me B12 helps with muscle damage and bruising recovery so start poppin.

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

e.pilot posted:

:siren::siren::siren::siren:Order is in, keep in mind it is AliExpress, so it will arrive in approximately eventually:siren::siren::siren::siren:

e:
I apparently hosed up the math on how Barton does orders, if you ordered a complete kit (jersey and bib) the cost will be an extra $5 versus what I thought it was going to be, I will send out emails as applicable.

ee:
Also apparently AliExpress charges state sales tax, I am in California so I am 8.5% short on every order, I have hosed this up mightily, more emails will be going out shortly.

eee:
Apparently there are extra fees for international PayPal, if your order is international you can do the $5, tax, and shipping all in one go once I get the jerseys in.
AliExpress and hidden charges sucks I hope you get it sorted, this was ordered 29th July delivered to the UK today!

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

Steve French posted:

FWIW I still have yet to hear someone articulate why 1UP is worth the premium over, say, Kuat (which is itself pretty pricey). I've been perfectly happy with my Kuat, so consider those also. Anecdotally where I live (and I acknowledge this is not true everywhere), I see 1Up racks highly correlated with conspicuous consumption like luxury SUVs (range rovers, etc), and also with having lovely bikes (weirdly)

I read a lot of reviews about the Thule and Kuat racks where the plastic bits eventually got UV damage after a few years and would break. I didn't want to deal with that. I also like the modularity, that I can just have one tray if I wanted. The additional trays are easy to put on and take off.

The trays also fold down really nicely and can be stowed away in the super heavy duty boxes that they come in for storage.

In the end, the cost in the end isn't much different than the expensive Kuat. Sure I don't have the mobile works stand or other bits, but the all aluminum construction was worth it for me.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
One thing I like about the 1up style is that you get a bit of wiggle room for bike positioning. You can move the bikes forwards/backwards a bit and it goes a long way towards making sure multiple bikes can fit around each other with no problems. I'm just waiting for them to get off of backorder so I can get my order in for an Equip-D.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.
Thanks for the ideas. I'm sure it will take my wife and I forever to decide but it's nice to have options other than Thule.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

PolishPandaBear posted:

I read a lot of reviews about the Thule and Kuat racks where the plastic bits eventually got UV damage after a few years and would break. I didn't want to deal with that. I also like the modularity, that I can just have one tray if I wanted. The additional trays are easy to put on and take off.

The trays also fold down really nicely and can be stowed away in the super heavy duty boxes that they come in for storage.

In the end, the cost in the end isn't much different than the expensive Kuat. Sure I don't have the mobile works stand or other bits, but the all aluminum construction was worth it for me.

this,

Crumps Brother posted:

One thing I like about the 1up style is that you get a bit of wiggle room for bike positioning. You can move the bikes forwards/backwards a bit and it goes a long way towards making sure multiple bikes can fit around each other with no problems. I'm just waiting for them to get off of backorder so I can get my order in for an Equip-D.

also this, and they’re made in the US.

I’ve never loved the attachment system on the Kuat and Thule racks; they can rub certain forks in a weird way and they can be difficult to use with bikes with fenders. They also have more wobble and it’s more difficult to position multiple bikes so they don’t touch. Other companies have started using similar attachment systems to 1up, but they’re more expensive (Saris) for more plastic parts and not quite as easy to adjust the bike position. The 1up wheel lock system also provides a bit more security than the cable locks on other high end racks.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Trash Miles women's jersey updates:
- yes, you can order bibs and jerseys
- cost looking around $40 for both; trying to nail down jersey-only prices
- i'm gonna do it the same way as e.pilot, where I get mailed everything in one shot from China, then mail myself, charging you for that mailing

The next step is for me to get the official quote, so I'm putting out the "here's what I plan to order" form:
https://forms.gle/De56Jm4v3oDjSz8X7
This is not final and non-committal, but I need the initial numbers to submit the quote request to Sedrick.
Those are not the final preview renders, which I'll get after quoting.

If you have multiple orders, just make multiple submissions.
I'll remind in a couple days.

:pray: please let there be only 5 or so orders.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
I upgraded this terrible bike I had been borrowing for a while with a fancy Specialized Sirrus X. I don't know much about bikes but it came highly recommended and I was looking for a serious upgrade so I shelled out. I grew up on cheap huffys, trash bikes in college, etc, so this machine is quite the upgrade. BUT

I was cruising along in the highest gear the other day and the chain hopped off the rear sprocket and got wedged between the frame and the sprocket bringing my ride to a halt. Now its happened a couple of times, I think every ride since, and I sliced my hand up pretty good in a couple of spots while moving the chain back onto the sprocket yesterday. Everything is all greasy w/ little metal flakes mixed in from early wear and tear. I'm pretty disappointed in the bike so far, to be honest, but am not sure if I should drag it to the bike shop and am a bit ignorant so I don't even know what to complain about.

Is this normal? Does something need adjustment? Am I riding the bicycle incorrectly?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
you probably need a rear derailleur adjustment

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Delta-Wye posted:

I upgraded this terrible bike I had been borrowing for a while with a fancy Specialized Sirrus X. I don't know much about bikes but it came highly recommended and I was looking for a serious upgrade so I shelled out. I grew up on cheap huffys, trash bikes in college, etc, so this machine is quite the upgrade. BUT

I was cruising along in the highest gear the other day and the chain hopped off the rear sprocket and got wedged between the frame and the sprocket bringing my ride to a halt. Now its happened a couple of times, I think every ride since, and I sliced my hand up pretty good in a couple of spots while moving the chain back onto the sprocket yesterday. Everything is all greasy w/ little metal flakes mixed in from early wear and tear. I'm pretty disappointed in the bike so far, to be honest, but am not sure if I should drag it to the bike shop and am a bit ignorant so I don't even know what to complain about.

Is this normal? Does something need adjustment? Am I riding the bicycle incorrectly?

Your limit screws are adjusted incorrectly. You can have the shop adjust this if needed but it’s pretty easy.

https://www.bike-components.de/blog/en/2017/02/how-to-adjust-your-rear-dereilleur/

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
perhaps there's a reason why they install the dork disc after all.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

DELETE CASCADE posted:

perhaps there's a reason why they install the dork disc after all.

You have a dork disc on the frame side?

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Your limit screws are adjusted incorrectly. You can have the shop adjust this if needed but it’s pretty easy.

https://www.bike-components.de/blog/en/2017/02/how-to-adjust-your-rear-dereilleur/

Thanks for the link, I'll compare how my setup looks to those images tonight. I'm torn between wanting the shop to unfuck it ('cause $$) and using this as an opportunity to get to know adjustments/maintenance on my new wheels. Assuming that derailleur adjustments can dial it out, those instructions are all super easy to follow at least.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

anyone end up with heel achiness after riding with new shoes for the first time? rode on Sunday, felt it on Monday, overnight and this morning. only on the right foot.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Delta-Wye posted:

Thanks for the link, I'll compare how my setup looks to those images tonight. I'm torn between wanting the shop to unfuck it ('cause $$) and using this as an opportunity to get to know adjustments/maintenance on my new wheels. Assuming that derailleur adjustments can dial it out, those instructions are all super easy to follow at least.

It's a great idea to learn how to fix the basics like this yourself since a shop is usually going to hold your bike for days before they can even look at it.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

actionjackson posted:

anyone end up with heel achiness after riding with new shoes for the first time? rode on Sunday, felt it on Monday, overnight and this morning. only on the right foot.

The bottom of the heel, like muscle ache? Or the back of the heel? How tight does the shoe cup your heel?

Delta-Wye posted:

I was cruising along in the highest gear the other day and the chain hopped off the rear sprocket

Setting aside the need to fix an adjustment issue with the bike, pedaling at a laid back 60rpm is getting you to 18mph on the gearing. You might consider using an easier gear and upping cadence.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Aug 25, 2020

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Thanks for the quick turnaround on my goof with the jersey cost and taxes, I've gotten the extra $5-10 from all but 6 people 2 people in barely over 12 hours, y'all rock. :unsmith:

e.pilot posted:

e:

ee:

eee:

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Aug 25, 2020

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Delta-Wye posted:

its gonna take weeks to get any shop to fix anything so you might as well give it a try

park tool has great videos on youtube to show you how to adjust or fix just about anything

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

The bottom of the heel, like muscle ache? Or the back of the heel? How tight does the shoe cup your heel?

bottom of the heel, and also some achiness on the balls of the feet. Not sure in regards to your second question, next time I ride I will have the shoes looser and see if it happens again.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Got the design preview from Barton

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
gonna do a sweet gravel ride tomorrow, courtesy of guiness, who posted about a couple of months ago

i'm very glad i was able to replace my shifter and bleed the brakes for the first time successfully

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Bud Manstrong posted:

this,

also this, and they’re made in the US.

I’ve never loved the attachment system on the Kuat and Thule racks; they can rub certain forks in a weird way and they can be difficult to use with bikes with fenders. They also have more wobble and it’s more difficult to position multiple bikes so they don’t touch. Other companies have started using similar attachment systems to 1up, but they’re more expensive (Saris) for more plastic parts and not quite as easy to adjust the bike position. The 1up wheel lock system also provides a bit more security than the cable locks on other high end racks.

Yeah I’m struggling with fork weirdness now. The holder wants to press on the brake cable in a weird way and I’m having to figure out a good solution. I would get the 1up

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

gonna do a sweet gravel ride tomorrow, courtesy of guiness, who posted about a couple of months ago

get it get it, and post pics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

How my lunch went:

Plus like i walked like 3 miles downtown