Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

orangelex44 posted:

There's literally one for just playing to the last year!

this would be the hardest achievement for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

orangelex44 posted:

There's achievements for a ton of things that people will do just by playing the game. There's literally one for just playing to the last year! There's another one for just going up in rank (count->duke or whatever).

From CK2, the most annoying achievements imo were the 3 for playing to the final year in the 3 traditional bookmarks. By 1400 or so there's usually not much to do in the game. In my Zoroastrian restoration game I just put it on max speed in ~1380 or so and watched a movie and clicked through events as I had already made the Neo-Persian Empire, conquered Rome+Constantinople, put my dynasty on the Chinese throne, and became the head of the Satanic cult. There was nothing left to do but wait.

I also had something like 600 hours in CK2 so by the end of my time with it I had gotten very good at breaking the game over my knee.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

orangelex44 posted:

There's achievements for a ton of things that people will do just by playing the game. There's literally one for just playing to the last year! There's another one for just going up in rank (count->duke or whatever).

Yes, I've mentioned them as "something fun people might do". Achievement lists often work as feature advertisement. You can quickly see that this game has inbreeding, spouse murdering, faith construction, and so on. Even Crusades achievement is there to highlight that there are great holy wars apart from Crusades.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

orangelex44 posted:

Cheevos are used as a way of gauging when people dropped off a game or mechanics they didn't bother with, odds and sods devs can then tweak or note for the next game. They're not entirely for the player's sense of accomplishment. I'm sure you could go pick a random steam game and infer how many people actually completed it purely by looking at the achievements.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

orangelex44 posted:

There's achievements for a ton of things that people will do just by playing the game. There's literally one for just playing to the last year!

After many hundreds of hours I have still not achieved that. But of course the easier achievements are in there so everyone can have some however crap they are, which is good.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Dwesa posted:

I am assuming three generations of sibling parents.

Yep. Most of us have 2 parents, 4 grandparents and 8 great-grandparents. The achievement is requesting a character that has 2 parents, 2 grandparents and 2 great-grandparents.

The "counting absent ancestors as individual characters" thing is basically saying that if both your parents are fresh gens with a parent of "Unknown" then the achievement assumes that they're the children of two different unknowns rather than incest-by-default. That seems somewhat pointless to qualify in a normal game, but I guess this is CK.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

wit posted:

Cheevos are used as a way of gauging when people dropped off a game or mechanics they didn't bother with, odds and sods devs can then tweak or note for the next game. They're not entirely for the player's sense of accomplishment. I'm sure you could go pick a random steam game and infer how many people actually completed it purely by looking at the achievements.

Which doesn't really work for Paradox games because they require Ironman...maybe they'll drop that this time around?

Captain Aardvark
Dec 28, 2008

Pravus is premiering now https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGlmbjSCStk
And here is OPB https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jaMw0o9274

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Yeah I have 255 hours in CK2 and 0 achievements unlocked, who needs achievements when there are so many mods to choose from?

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
Here's all of them: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL_3rLv22kp6TJGpYqtG0HHuq7phA0slJT

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
looks like they were limited to about 20 minutes.

some random things from the quill18 stream:
* his character was a secret witch
* crusade mechanics
* war looks like the standard paradox chaotic whack-a-mole :(
* when the crusade was over he was given the option to switch and play as the new king of jerusalem (his cousin)

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

fuf posted:

looks like they were limited to about 20 minutes.

A couple of the streams on the playlist LordMune linked have already run longer than that (Spiffing Brit/Lionheart/Enter Elysium).

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Yeah, I think the 20 minute thing is one of those youtube seo "optimal video length" things

yorkinshire
Apr 28, 2009

In space no one can hear your dope beats.
Spiffing already exploiting endless divorce/marriage for huge prestige boons. Balance is gonna be hilarious on launch.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Chalks posted:

Yeah, I think the 20 minute thing is one of those youtube seo "optimal video length" things

I dunno, One Proud Bavarian does like 3 hour videos on every single dev diary, there's no way he wouldn't put out something way longer if he could...

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.
26. Kings to the Seventh Generation: starting as Count Eudes of Anjou in 867, lead your dynasty to rule the Kingdom of France.
20. Frankokratia: as a French Catholic, hold and completely control the Kingdom of Thessalonika without holding or being vassalised to the Byzantine Empire.
21. From Rags to Riches: starting as a count, lead your line to rule an empire.
32. Moving up in the World: increase your rank.

/\ Well I guess that’s my generic Catholic start for first full game after making Ireland in the tutorial.

Speaking of, this is guaranteeing that I’ll do the tutorial:
46. The Emerald Isle: starting as an Irish ruler, hold the Kingdom of Ireland.

Also, it’s not just 5 sites?:
43. Seven Holy Cities: as a Hindu ruler, hold all seven Hindu holy sites at the same time.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

fuf posted:

I dunno, One Proud Bavarian does like 3 hour videos on every single dev diary, there's no way he wouldn't put out something way longer if he could...

There are at least four videos that go over 20 minutes.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.
Does anyone know if 1066 starts have pre-assigned Dynasty paths (I think that’s what they’re called? Like L2 Blood, Kin, etc), and if so are they randomized or anything?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

The North Tower posted:

Does anyone know if 1066 starts have pre-assigned Dynasty paths (I think that’s what they’re called? Like L2 Blood, Kin, etc), and if so are they randomized or anything?

I believe the information I saw on the discord was no, they wouldn't, but certain dynasties would start with like 900 points so they could assign one very shortly after the game's start.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Airspace posted:

There are at least four videos that go over 20 minutes.

sure and I mean it's not a hill I wanna die on but I still bet paradox gave them some kind of time restrictions otherwise they would've put out longer videos for sure

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

What patch is everyone waiting for before buying the game? I'm thinking 1.2. Imperator is finally looking alright at patch 1.5 but I keep forgetting to add it to my Steam wishlist.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
I'm going to start out playing on day one with Game Pass. Depending on how well it goes I'll probably go ahead and buy the deluxe package on Steam sometime ahead of the first DLC because if I'm having fun I'll want Paradox to have money to keep making the game.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
1.1 will probably hit shortly after release. I think I saw dev saying that 1.0 was finished before their vacations, so August was spent on the first patch.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Yeah trying it out on gamepass first is a no brainer unless you really want..some outfits from the HRE.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i've already preordered the game and took a day off work so i can spend all day playing it

my boss asked "for the stated reason to take a day, you just put 'video games'... really?" and i said yes, absolutely

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I'm going to be playing from day one because really I don't see any scenario where I don't enjoy it for at least a few dozen hours or so, also I want to get started on learning to mod it. I have some ideas I'd like to try out, and I found Stellaris modding to be easy enough to learn after doing some Civ 6 modding in the past.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Yeah getting in on the ground floor of PDS games is fun when looking back years later. Plus these are the last games I really care too much about being well balanced.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal
I think it is the first game I've ever pre-ordered, I'm going to be playing it asap. I won't mind if it isn't yet as good as CK2, I'm just looking forward to seeing the new ideas, so I should enjoy at least a few hours with it.

Just as long as it runs on my machine, anyway (unlike Horizon Zero Dawn, alas).

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Zeron posted:

Yeah trying it out on gamepass first is a no brainer unless you really want..some outfits from the HRE.

Lol if you don't want more outfits

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Wyld Karde posted:

I'm going to start out playing on day one with Game Pass. Depending on how well it goes I'll probably go ahead and buy the deluxe package on Steam sometime ahead of the first DLC because if I'm having fun I'll want Paradox to have money to keep making the game.

Yeah this is normally a situation where I'd "vote" with my wallet and show that I want more games like this, but gamepass is too cheap and easy to pass up, and this game being on it was the tipping point for me to sign up. I'll definitely buy it (and lots of DLC) later if it's not trash.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

What are muslim mechanics like?

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

I already bought the game on steam because all the dev diaries looked solid and I knew I was going to play a lot of the game. It being on gamepass is pretty nice though because i have several friends who tried ck2 after I raved about it but bounced off, and they're probably going to give ck3 a look since it's so cheap to do.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Watched Proud Bavarian's video and gently caress this game looks good. I'm ready as all hell.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Lawman 0 posted:

Their big thing is that most of them have the clan government type. The main distinction from feudalism is that vassal contributions are based more (or entirely?) on opinion. They also get a once-in-a-lifetime kingdom invasion casus belli when a ruler achieves the highest level of fame. From what I've seen, they don't get to skip over partition succession types in this game.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Lawman 0 posted:

We don't know many specifics, though Muslim realms tend to be clan rather than feudal which means they don't have vassal contracts and instead contribute taxes/levies based on opinion and it is somehow encouraged for you to place your dynasty in charge of territory. I imagine the rest will depend on the specifics of each Muslim faith, as CK3's religion system is much more robust than CK2's.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

CK2's Iqta mechanics were always a big letdown, being essentially Feudalism But Green. Hopefully this will be a bit more interesting. Or they'll put some more structure into it in a DLC.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

GHOST_BUTT posted:

Lol if you don't want more outfits

CK3 even lets you customize your outfits in the barbershop, a feature that II was notably lacking. What's the point of conquering half of Europe if not for a series of increasingly elaborate hats?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
If I remember correctly there was also a thing with muslim rulers where your vassals expect to be married into your dynasty so over the course of generations your vassals are all getting claims to the throne

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Can Muslims still own temple holdings?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Pylons posted:

Can Muslims still own temple holdings?

Yes, it was confirmed on the dev stream they've been doing