Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

okay, here's a relevant collection of wobs someone compiled: https://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/91480-renarins-ilumination/#comment-1042063

it's something like "Shallan's illumination shows them their ideal self somehow"

and people who remember more than me are talking about how what renarin's doing is very similar to allomantic gold https://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/91676-row-chapter-8-discussion/#comment-1050470

eke out fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Aug 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

eke out posted:

and people who remember more than me are talking about how what renarin's doing is very similar to allomantic gold https://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/91676-row-chapter-8-discussion/#comment-1050470

Seems more like malatium to me.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Anshu posted:

Seems more like malatium to me.

It's similar to both - the difference in them is whether the allomancer sees themself (gold) or others (malatium/11th metal). In this situation the figment was visible to everyone, so it's like targeted, publicly-viewable malatium from the perspective of Renarin being the one utilizing investiture.

Donkey
Apr 22, 2003

Think I might have caught some foreshadowing in the preview chapter. In one of the other books Moash had brown/tan eyes (same as Amaram's), but now they're dark green. Since Windrunners are the sapphire order and their eyes and armor are both blue, I wonder if that indicates that Moash is some kind of void-Truthwatcher.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

eke out posted:

it's weird because this kind of "showing someone a perfected version of themself" is very much what Shallan's version of Illumination has done, which makes it seem almost too normal for Renarin's weird poo poo

maybe the Sja-Anat twist is that his version showed Moash what might have been had he made different choices, rather than what he can become, or something

This happened in a very brief moment early on in Oathbringer when Renarin was figuring out how to use his powers:

Chapter 10 in Oathbringer posted:

Renarin only stared at that glowing hand, and didn't seem convinced. So Adolin reached out with his good hand and took Renarin's, holding it.

"This is good," Adolin said to him. "You're not going to hurt anyone. You're here to save us."

Renarin looked to him, then smiled. A pulse of Radiance washed through Adolin, and for an instant he saw himself perfected. A version of himself that was somehow complete and whole, the man he could be.

It was gone in a moment, and Renarin pulled his hand free and murmured an apology. He mentioned again the Shardblade needing to be given away, then fled back into the tower.

Adolin stared after him. Gallant trotted up and nudged him for more sugar, so he reached absently into his satchel and fed the horse.

Only after Gallant trotted off did Adolin realize he'd used his right hand. He held it up, amazed, moving his fingers.

His wrist had been completely healed.

I think this is Renarin's corrupted Truthwatcher resonance between Progression and Illumination. My reading of Shallan's version is that it's her Lightweaver resonance between Illumination and Transformation - i.e. she shows people a version of who they could be via Illumination, and the power of that vision draws on Transformation to help them become a better version of themselves. In this case, Renarin's resonance happens as a side affect of him healing someone via Progression. Since healing in Cosmere works by drawing upon someone's spiritual perception of them, Renarin's healing helps them see a better version of themself - perhaps unconsciously. Remember in the Rysn Oathbringer interlude, Renarin was unable to heal her legs because it'd been long enough that she began to see her broken legs as part of herself, in the same way that Kaladin sees his slave brand as part of himself.

Also, I'm sad that there was no love for continued mathematical puns in the read-along discussion:

He did so, every tenth block. She moved along to each one until, on the third try, the stone wiggled. “Here,” she said. “In the corner. I think this is right.”

“Mmm…” he said. “A few degrees off, so technically acute.”

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

gently caress I didn't even pick up on that when I first read it lmao

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

according to the subreddit the eye color is just a typo

Dikkfor
Feb 4, 2010
I thought using a "dead" Shardblade changed the users eyes into a lighter shade over time?

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Dikkfor posted:

I thought using a "dead" Shardblade changed the users eyes into a lighter shade over time?

It does, but Moash gave up his Shardblade early in Oathbringer when the Fused attacked Graves' caravan, after which his eyes returned to their normal shade, and it's unclear what effect Honorblades (one of which he currently possesses) have on the eye color of the bearer.

On the topic of "what color are his eyes really?", here's what Moash's page on The Coppermind has to say:

mewse
May 2, 2006

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Are the Mistborn Era 1 books worth finishing? I really liked the first one, but I've heard a lot of people say that the next two aren't as good. The one thing that keeps me interested is Sazed, as I really liked his character as someone with a religious studies degree. That said, I would hate to go through hundreds of pages of boring poo poo just for the nuggets of him being a great character. Should I just read the Era 2 books, which I hear are much better?

A bit late but I'd say yes they're worth reading. Esp if you want to read Sazed's story.

The first book is this weird heist story and the other two are quite a bit different but if you enjoyed the first one, the other two are fine. You could always just stop if you hate them

Yeroc2
Aug 13, 2003

"The glow is the combination of all your past lives, focusing their energy through your body."
Grimey Drawer

Anshu posted:

It does, but Moash gave up his Shardblade early in Oathbringer when the Fused attacked Graves' caravan, after which his eyes returned to their normal shade, and it's unclear what effect Honorblades (one of which he currently possesses) have on the eye color of the bearer.

On the topic of "what color are his eyes really?", here's what Moash's page on The Coppermind has to say:

In WoK the first Szeth interlude said that summoning his blade would make his eyes go "pale sapphire".

Yeroc2 fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Aug 26, 2020

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Yeroc2 posted:

In WoK the first Szeth interlude said that summoning his blade would make his eyes go "pale sapphire".

Granted. Do any of the randos who get hold of his Oathstone before the Diagram catch up to him comment on his eye color? I don't remember. If he was walking around lighteyed just from having it bonded you'd think they would have noticed.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I believe it only changes when he has the sword drawn

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

:dance:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
25% Lopen PoV? Where can I buy this?? Shut up and take my money!

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
This makes me so happy!!!

Scheduling in a binge re-read of ALL THE STORMLIGHT books beginning 1 October. I would start 1 Nov but I want to do NaNoWriMo this year and binge reading will leave me no writing time.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Anshu posted:

Granted. Do any of the randos who get hold of his Oathstone before the Diagram catch up to him comment on his eye color? I don't remember. If he was walking around lighteyed just from having it bonded you'd think they would have noticed.

It seems like only the dead shardblades permanently change your eye color lighter. An honor blade or a living shardblade only makes your eyes light when its drawn, then they go back to normal.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Caveat on that: the effect lasts for a few hours, see Kaladin in the Kholinar arc in Oathbringer when they are trying to infiltrate the lighteyes.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Finished Wax & Wayne 2 after slamming through 1 while camping the other weekend. Late nights by the fire are the best reading time. I really need to move into a house with a fireplace

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Subvisual Haze posted:

It seems like only the dead shardblades permanently change your eye color lighter. An honor blade or a living shardblade only makes your eyes light when its drawn, then they go back to normal.

I don't want to go looking, but there was a question about this at one of the signings and he said exactly that. Dead shardblades do it permanently, otherwise it's only when drawn or for a short time after.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

So does the Stormlight fandom go in for ship names? Because I'm rather pleased with the one I came up with: "Sylphratternization"

eszett engma
May 7, 2013
Kalashwi or Leshwadin?

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Jasnadin seems most likely, I don’t expect it for several books though.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Kaladepressed

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
There are so many people rooting for Jasnadin since Oathbringer.

Leshwadin would be way more interesting!

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

Leng posted:

There are so many people rooting for Jasnadin since Oathbringer.

Leshwadin would be way more interesting!

Isn’t a Leshwadin situation how you ended up with horneaters? We need more of them.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Have we ever even seen Jasnah and Kaladin interact?

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

smertrioslol posted:

Isn’t a Leshwadin situation how you ended up with horneaters? We need more of them.

Yep! Herdazians too.

Velius posted:

Have we ever even seen Jasnah and Kaladin interact?

Yes! There's one significant interaction in Oathbringer that's often cited by Jasnadin fans as proof of their chemistry:

Oathbringer posted:

Dalinar took a deep breath. “Jasnah, you have a suggestion of where to start this plan?”

“Yes. The answer is obvious. We need to find the Heralds.”

Kaladin nodded in agreement.

“Then,” Jasnah added, “we need to kill them.”

“What?” Kaladin demanded. “Woman, are you insane?”

The exchange ends with:

Oathbringer posted:

“We need to go even farther, Uncle,” Jasnah said. “We need to watch the movements of the Voidbringers. Our only hope is to defeat their armies so soundly that even if their leaders are constantly reborn, they lack the manpower to overwhelm us.”

“Protecting Alethkar,” Kaladin said, “doesn’t have to mean completely crushing the parshmen and—”

“If you wish, Captain,” Jasnah snapped, “I can get you some mink kits to cuddle while the adults plan. None of us want to talk about this, but that does not make it any less inevitable.”

“I’d love that,” Kaladin responded. “In turn, I’ll get you some eels to cuddle. You’ll feel right at home.”

Jasnah, curiously, smiled. “Let me ask this, Captain. Do you think ignoring the movement of Voidbringer troops would be wise?”

“Probably not,” he admitted.

“And do you think, perhaps, that you could train your squire Windrunners to fly up high and scout for us? If spanreeds are proving unreliable these days, we’ll need another method of watching the enemy. I’d happily cuddle skyeels, as you offer, if your team would be willing to spend some time imitating them.”

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

I want Jasnah and Kaladin to happen just so I can read the endless enlightened takes about the inherently problematic nature of a woman in her 30s having a relationship with a man under 25 (his brain isn't fully developed!)

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
How well does someone with S.A.D. and depression combo with someone who at her best qualifies as arrogant and emotionally distant?

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

They don't, launch Kaladin into the sun and give me Szasnah.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Jasnah x Sazed, go big or go home shippers.

Space Butler
Dec 3, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Kaladin x Happiness

One day it'll be canon.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Jasnah is a strong independent woman who don't need no man :colbert:

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Space Butler posted:

Kaladin x Happiness

One day it'll be canon.

Pairings should have at least some basis on the story, yours has none :colbert:

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Kaloash :colbert:

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

feel like the preview chapters are increasingly raising the question what the gently caress could ~8 year old Shallan have done that was so much worse than what we already know she did, killing both parents? especially now that, in today's chapter, she implies that Pattern doesn't know -- so something before she became a baby radiant

of all the wild theories i think i'm on team "Shallan somehow isn't actually Shallan" and is some kind of cuckoo, since it's hard to imagine what more fundamental lie could exist at such an early stage in her life. possibly somehow setup or encouraged by the ghostbloods due to their particular interest in her family, even though we really don't know why her family matters (and there's also a WOB that an Unmade was directly influencing them)

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Yeah remember she had Pattern and had sworn her oath before any of the flashbacks we've seen her in thus far.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Radiant had no reply. And deep within Shallan, something else stirred. Formless. She had told herself that she would never create a new persona, and she wouldn’t. Formless wasn’t real.

GOD drat IT WOMAN.

I won’t let them use my honor against me. And… Stonefalls. I say things like that, and…”

Have they used 'Stonefalls' as a curse before? Seems weird given what happens in OB...

Not a whole ton in this chapter. I want more of The Mink

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Shallan is actually a Kandra, you heard it here first.