Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
The recession is going to hit us hard and all of those recreational items will flood the market at nickels on the dollar.

Rest assured, DRZ prices will still be absurd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Can someone let me borrow $2750 I found a beautiful tdubs but I'm poor

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Google Butt posted:

Can someone let me borrow $2750 I found a beautiful tdubs but I'm poor

I'm sure there is a dealer they will lend it to you at 24%, while inflating the price by more than double. No credit? No problem!

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
There's a 2013 Speed Triple in my area with 18k on the odo going for $5k that hasn't been ridden into trash. This seems... sane?

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

:staredog: it’ll be gone shortly if you aren’t the first person to inquire

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
It's probably gone now

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Congrats on your new :mootmoot:

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Did her layer dan before he even got offroad?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

MomJeans420 posted:

Did her layer dan before he even got offroad?

That's a good point, I always assumed he hit the verge with full brakes and lost the front end there, but the whole bike is still on the black stuff which seems pretty unlikely if the wheel had gone off.

Didn't he blame it on the car ahead going too slowly or something, too?

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

A cautionary tale of using the front brake if I ever saw one :nono:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I wonder if mootmoot is still alive

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I almost had a crash as bad as mootmoot yesterday, tiny 200' onramp onto a busy 60mph highway, line up from the stop line, give it the beans (I know I'll hit 65-70, the speed of traffic by the end of the section if I do everything perfectly) front wheel comes up a little to far, and I go into severe headshake because I'm looking over my shoulder while accelerating, and thus pulling on the bars a little.

Got 'er settled down in the shoulder.

Had I crashed it would have looked like I just crashed accelerating in a perfectly straight line.

And realized the right lane had come to a halt staring at me.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jul 19, 2020

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/d/wenatchee-2005-kawasaki-zrx-elr/7162332016.html

seems like a reason to visit wenatchee

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Oh man you gotta, 18k miles? That's it??

also lol at using a champagne bottle to demonstrate the depth of The Well

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Phy posted:

Oh man you gotta, 18k miles? That's it??

also lol at using a champagne bottle to demonstrate the depth of The Well

That is sparkling apple juice :(

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Don't worry it's just chalk.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
That 45k mpg, still on the factory fuel after 160k miles

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
That is a former police service motorcycle. BMW dealership quoted me $2,400 to replace a clutch on one of those. You can buy surplus ones with about 50k miles for under 3 Grand all day everyday. Because most of them need a clutch at least.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Nitrox posted:

That is a former police service motorcycle. BMW dealership quoted me $2,400 to replace a clutch on one of those. You can buy surplus ones with about 50k miles for under 3 Grand all day everyday. Because most of them need a clutch at least.

Is that one of the ones where you basically have to dismantle the entire bike to get at the clutch?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Is that one of the ones where you basically have to dismantle the entire bike to get at the clutch?

Isn't that pretty much any R* bike? The clutch sits at the back of the motor, you pretty much have to pull the rear wheel + shaft drive to get to it. That's actually not that difficult, but I have no experience with what the actual clutch replacement itself takes.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
The frame and subframe are kind of bolted to the engine/trans more than the engine/trans are bolted to the frame, and you have to pull the trans to replace the clutch so yeah about half the bike has to come off. 2400 doesn't sound too crazy for a clutch job on those.

if you're comfortable with mechanical poo poo it's totally doable at home but you'll have to hold the whole bike up with an engine hoist or something and you might need a couple special tools. The airhead boxers (pre-1994) are less of a big deal but it's still a fairly big deal.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

The frame and subframe are kind of bolted to the engine/trans more than the engine/trans are bolted to the frame, and you have to pull the trans to replace the clutch so yeah about half the bike has to come off. 2400 doesn't sound too crazy for a clutch job on those.

if you're comfortable with mechanical poo poo it's totally doable at home but you'll have to hold the whole bike up with an engine hoist or something and you might need a couple special tools. The airhead boxers (pre-1994) are less of a big deal but it's still a fairly big deal.

Completely random question (especially as there's literally zero chance I'd ever own one) but could you hold them up by the cylinders? I assume so because I know you can crash them pretty hard and generally just have to replace the rocker covers, so I guess there's plenty of meat there.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I would trust the cylinders to hold the weight of everything else, yes, but I can't remember how many connections there are between the motor and everything else when you remove the rear end. So I don't know if you might want a jack under the motor and a hoist holding the rest of the frame up as well.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Here you go, Oldwing aficionados:

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
1995? Tsk, that’s some high tech nonsense there, chile. Can probably even send its own emails.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Revvik posted:

1995? Tsk, that’s some high tech nonsense there, chile. Can probably even send its own emails.

Only a one-seat sidecar with no roof and no TV/DVD players? Someone went for the Superlegerra package.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Crow from MST3K lookin rear end

televiper
Feb 12, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Crow from MST3K lookin rear end

I’m seeing

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I thought for a minute I'd missed somone's Ulysses post.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Bad idea or worst idea?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324275322187

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

I wouldn't pay more than scrap weight; at 282 lbs that's about $85 in the States.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Was that bike parked at the bottom of the Thames?

mewse
May 2, 2006

I lost plat so I can't see if you've been posting in cycle asylum for a while, but I assume this would be your first bike because it's a 125 and the UK has weird rules.

That thing is a piece of poo poo.

The bottom of the forks are all hosed up but look at the chrome tubes -- there's corrosion there that you probably can't fix. The corrosion will shred your fork seals so you will have to buy new fork tubes. The side covers are missing and you'll have to buy those. It looks like the flasher relay is dangling from the goddamn gauge cluster. One of the engine coils is just dangling beneath the left turn signal.

Tires are probably shot. Chain+sprockets are probably shot. Rear shocks are probably shot. Every fluid will have to be replaced, brake lines should probably be replaced, air filter + oil filter should be replaced.

This is just for what's visible on the outside, who knows if the engine is blown. It's a high mileage bike that clearly wasn't maintained with any sort of care.

So if you really think you want to take on this project, make a spreadsheet with the cost of all the missing parts from ebay or wherever, add that to the list value and ask yourself if it's worth your time to spend that amount of money for something that will still be a mostly lovely bike once you've finished fixing it up.

Look at this:

See how the left cover is missing and there's cables just dangling? Someone started working on it and gave up. You'd be inheriting someone else's "this isn't worth it".

e: the upside is from the listing it seems like it has a title, so it would be a good frame. If you had a parts bike with no title but mostly everything working, that would be a decent project.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I wanted the voice of reason and there it is, cheers.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

saw this on my local; it says "West Chicago" it's like Plainfield/Joliet. i really doubt the tires are "good"

this is perfect for someone with silly balls. I'd consider it but my garage is kind of small rn

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Today in 'jesus christ why does nobody ride their motorcycles'

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

That's not even a hundred miles a year.

I have more miles on my year-old dirt bike :psyduck:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

captainOrbital posted:

saw this on my local; it says "West Chicago" it's like Plainfield/Joliet. i really doubt the tires are "good"

this is perfect for someone with silly balls. I'd consider it but my garage is kind of small rn

:thunk:

Probably shouldn’t have two

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
no stick-on chrome tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Honestly I’m pretty guilty of under-riding my bike. I’m at like 2500 miles in 2 years and like 900 of those were down to LA and back and a little bombing the canyons down there. But I won’t ever commute on a bike again is probably a lot of why miles are lower.