Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

RickRogers posted:

What is everyone's favourite (3d) dungeon actually? Would be interesting to gauge the opinions.

Mine for....reasons is probably ancient cistern. Actually it's probably 100 percent because its a pretty looking place with a great theme, nice ambient music and the boss is cool.

Biggest turd for me is snowhead. It's just fiddly and a slog to get through, looks like rear end and has terrible music. Goht is ok, but has a misleading name

OOT Forest Temple easily. The creepy forlorn music, the ghosts, the architecture and use of 3D, e.g. the twisty hallway, all capped off with Phantom Ganon in the paintings as the boss fight. Perfection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Water Temple.

Fight me, you cowards.

But in reality, overall Wind Waker had the best dungeons, though.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The Bloop posted:

I did eventide eaaarly, like one of each upgrade early

It was not a ten minute side quest for me, it was boot camp

One of the best things about the game is how they're so many ways to experience it

drat, yeah, I can see that being one hell of an experience in that case.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Woh, is that a thing I like??
Second play through with all the dlc out I went straight there. I have yet to go back and finish it.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Kassad posted:

The teaser seems to be hinting at some underground areas getting opened up.

Sure, but an underdark won't help make the surface interesting to revisit.

I'm usually against time travel ideas, but in this case, I feel like it's got an excellent setup: The ancient war Impa tells you about. Either you have to go back to help, or take the old hero's place because mummy Dorf went back and merked him. Plus, since Link already has his Master Sword, going to the past would allow him the opportunity to dual-wield them :black101:

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Mylan posted:

Sure, but an underdark won't help make the surface interesting to revisit.

Just have a big earthquake or something. Lift some areas up, sink other areas down, and tilt other areas on their side. Then add caves and stuff. That's a simple way of making the overworld fresh without too much work. (And it sounds pretty cool too.)

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/ktwfc/status/1298125805520707585?s=21

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Arbiter's Grounds was pretty cool. I loved the atmosphere, because Hryrule's Death Row was so far down the list of concepts I was expecting in a Zeld game that it was kind of shocking. Plus you get to skateboard into a giant skull.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

TL posted:

Arbiter's Grounds was pretty cool. I loved the atmosphere, because Hryrule's Death Row was so far down the list of concepts I was expecting in a Zeld game that it was kind of shocking. Plus you get to skateboard into a giant skull.

Aren't the Arbiter's grounds in BotW? In the desert, I assume?

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Fuzz posted:

Aren't the Arbiter's grounds in BotW? In the desert, I assume?

Yeah, there's ruins called Arbiter's Grounds in the SW desert, but it doesn't seem to share the layout, which is a pity.

There's a Molduga there if you like that kind of thing though.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

TL posted:

Twilight Princess was so nicely thought out with all the different dungeon concepts.
I mean it gets/got poo poo all the time for doing a one eighty from windwaker, but them dungeons be the poo poo, I doth say.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I really, really want to explore the inside of the Akala Citadel.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

DorianGravy posted:

Just have a big earthquake or something. Lift some areas up, sink other areas down, and tilt other areas on their side. Then add caves and stuff. That's a simple way of making the overworld fresh without too much work. (And it sounds pretty cool too.)

Do a wow: cataclysm thing? That may come across as quite lazy. I would much rather they did some new area.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

RickRogers posted:

Twilight Princess was so nicely thought out with all the different dungeon concepts.
I mean it gets/got poo poo all the time for doing a one eighty from windwaker, but them dungeons be the poo poo, I doth say.

Agreed, though I will add I found Lakebed Temple to be extremely frustrating. Strangely enough, I've never had any major issues with the Water Temple in OoT.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

TL posted:

Agreed, though I will add I found Lakebed Temple to be extremely frustrating. Strangely enough, I've never had any major issues with the Water Temple in OoT.

The only issue really is an easily missable key due to camera fuckery

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

mastajake posted:

I really, really want to explore the inside of the Akala Citadel.

Things I didn't know I wanted but now do

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

New console with your BotW2 sir?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2020-08-25/nintendo-plans-upgraded-switch-console-and-major-games-for-2021

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

jisforjosh posted:

Things I didn't know I wanted but now do

Yeah, I want more interiors. And more extensive ruins - for example, the actual ruins of the actual Arbiters Ground instead of a few bits of arches would have been awesome, with some underground/built-up bits surviving. Like the top of Akkala Citadel, but more extensive.

A time-shift mechanic like the Lanayru Time Stones from SS could work really well too.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I love the puzzle in the Great Plateau where you need to cut down trees in order to create a makeshift bridge across a freezing river. It's kinda a shame you never really need to do something like this again because Cryonis itself is just an easy, obvious solution to any situation where you need to cross a body of water. There are even some cool puzzles baked into the rest of the world that involve crossing swamps and rivers, but it's just way too simple and obvious to just use Cryonis instead.
I don't think I'm alone in seeing Cryonis as the odd man out among the runes, it's just not that fun to use and there's not a lot of room to use it creatively, and it tends to take away from puzzles more often than it adds.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Jumping on board the Twilight Princess dungeon train, they still stood out even in its last-gen rerelease. They consistently hit a big, epic feel and there's just so many of them. In some ways it still feels like the truest dungeon progression in the 3D games even if others have individually better ones.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I’ve always defended Twilight Princess as an amazing pre-BOTW Zelda game. It’s only downfall was the mind numbing slow rear end introduction and noobie village sequence. That part loving sucked...

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Cartoon Man posted:

I’ve always defended Twilight Princess as an amazing pre-BOTW Zelda game. It’s only downfall was the mind numbing slow rear end introduction and noobie village sequence. That part loving sucked...

Its also probably the worst looking Zelda game, both because they went for a 'realistic' brown saturated style that dated it instantly and because a lot of the character design just leans into being grotesque for the sake of it.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Zore posted:

Its also probably the worst looking Zelda game, both because they went for a 'realistic' brown saturated style that dated it instantly and because a lot of the character design just leans into being grotesque for the sake of it.

It reminded me of Time Splitters 2 in that way.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Captain Hygiene posted:

Jumping on board the Twilight Princess dungeon train, they still stood out even in its last-gen rerelease. They consistently hit a big, epic feel and there's just so many of them. In some ways it still feels like the truest dungeon progression in the 3D games even if others have individually better ones.

I feel like skyward sword had really beautiful dungeons, like they really threw some cool curve balls out after TP. But the bosses were way lacking, and whilst Ghirahim is fun and all, having him be a dungeon boss, twice, was so lazy I was honestly a little shocked.

Zore posted:

At least I remember the characters. I really struggle to remember more than five from BotW, who aren't dead that is.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
i didnt like it that much from the bit i played and i never finished it but skyward sword had the best characters hands down. debate me.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

RickRogers posted:

I feel like skyward sword had really beautiful dungeons, like they really threw some cool curve balls out after TP. But the bosses were way lacking, and whilst Ghirahim is fun and all, having him be a dungeon boss, twice, was so lazy I was honestly a little shocked.

At least I remember the characters. I really struggle to remember more than five from BotW, who aren't dead that is.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Vikar Jerome posted:

i didnt like it that much from the bit i played and i never finished it but skyward sword had the best characters hands down. debate me.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

I mean there's like 3 memorable characters in Wind Waker; Tetra, King of Red Lions and Aryll. Maaaaybe Nico and Makar?

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Say what you will about Tingle, but it’s hard to call him unmemorable

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Augus posted:

I love the puzzle in the Great Plateau where you need to cut down trees in order to create a makeshift bridge across a freezing river. It's kinda a shame you never really need to do something like this again because Cryonis itself is just an easy, obvious solution to any situation where you need to cross a body of water. There are even some cool puzzles baked into the rest of the world that involve crossing swamps and rivers, but it's just way too simple and obvious to just use Cryonis instead.
I don't think I'm alone in seeing Cryonis as the odd man out among the runes, it's just not that fun to use and there's not a lot of room to use it creatively, and it tends to take away from puzzles more often than it adds.
there's actually one other iteration of this puzzle in the hebra mountains where there's a freezing river through a cave with a low ceiling and the only two reasonable methods of entry are doing the log raft, or eating a preposterous amount of health items while swimming there.

but yeah there's an awful lot of places in the world where they provide obvious opportunities to use some creative methods of passage like makeshift bridges and elevators that are all incredibly easily bypassed via a combination of climbing, gliding, and cryonis. feels like some of the world was designed before the design/availability of the abilities was finalized

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Cut down a log and use it as a bridge is part of the initial design concept for the whole game right? I remember that being what they did in their 2.5d proof of concept.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Zore posted:

I mean there's like 3 memorable characters in Wind Waker; Tetra, King of Red Lions and Aryll. Maaaaybe Nico and Makar?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

I honestly don't remember who that is.

nrook posted:

Say what you will about Tingle, but it’s hard to call him unmemorable

lol, I totally forgot Tingle was in WW. Its what dove into his weird 'I'm enslaving my brothers and also a dude who happens to dress like us' thing too.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Zore posted:

That's fair, I like the main characters a lot but there really aren't many when you actually think about it. Anyways I don't even disagree much with the original statement, I like the Skyward Sword characters a whole lot.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

skyward sword has the best zelda and the best groose.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Captain Hygiene posted:

That's fair, I like the main characters a lot but there really aren't many when you actually think about it. Anyways I don't even disagree much with the original statement, I like the Skyward Sword characters a whole lot.

Yeah, don't get me wrong I like Wind Waker a lot. But a ton of that is built on Link and his relationship specifically with the KoRL, Tetra and Aryll.

And honestly past the mid-game Tetra and Aryll get sidelined super hard.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Vikar Jerome posted:

skyward sword has the best zelda and the best groose.

Ehhhhhhh I really do like SS Zelda, but Tetra (I know, old game), ghost zelda, and BotW Zelda are all p great

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I don’t really look to the Zelda series for an expansive cast of characters. The memorable character designs of OoT and MM worked very well because they communicate so clearly what the character is and does without having to read anything. I would prefer more stuff like Link & Epona or the memory cut scenes of BotW.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Zore posted:

I honestly don't remember who that is.

Sounds like the problem is you then! WW has a lot of memorable NPCs IMO. Windfall Island alone has a number of characters whose names I don't know, but their designs and personalities are still pretty fresh in my mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

MokBa posted:

Sounds like the problem is you then! WW has a lot of memorable NPCs IMO. Windfall Island alone has a number of characters whose names I don't know, but their designs and personalities are still pretty fresh in my mind.

Kid with the snot, the two brothers (marlin was one I think) who teach you moves and live over each other. Grandma! That lady with blue hair and a jar on her head. The pig family.

I don't even think that it's what they do that's so memorable, compared to the background characters from BotW, just that they look so memorable (often big expressive eyes, interesting outfits)and the look fits the personality so well.