Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Who thought this was a good idea? Nobody likes your brand! Keep the brand people liked!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I don’t think the people that wouldn’t buy an Oculus branded headset will buy a Facebook branded one. It’s a strange change

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

hatty posted:

I don’t think the people that wouldn’t buy an Oculus branded headset will buy a Facebook branded one. It’s a strange change

General consumers will give zero shits. Its not enough of a change to actually hurt the brand outside of "tech insiders" and enthusiasts being upset. As much as people like to try/pretend to hate facebook, most people still just use it and log in anyways. Lets be honest here.

Anyone I know who's not in the "loop", basically says the same thing. "Oh that'll make login easier, whatever, i have a facebook anyways".

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

They've spent the last 2 years building up Oculus as a brand and are now just chucking it all out the window to start over. People will hear from friends about how cool this Oculus Quest thing they bought during quarantine is and get confused over whether this Facebook Quest thing is the same thing.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

njsykora posted:

They've spent the last 2 years building up Oculus as a brand and are now just chucking it all out the window to start over. People will hear from friends about how cool this Oculus Quest thing they bought during quarantine is and get confused over whether this Facebook Quest thing is the same thing.

Do you honestly think they wont transition it? Its not like facebook hasn't put time into this merger ya know?

Its not hard to continue to call VR products OCULUS products under the FACEBOOK brand. They start slapping facebook logos on boxes along with the oculus branding logo and thats gg.

Super simple stuff here. marketing 101 even.

By the time the forced account thing happens, itll all be nice and bundled up.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

If they're renaming Oculus to Facebook Reality and cutting the Oculus name from their annual VR conference, they're almost certainly working to get rid of the name completely and fold the Quest into their wider hardware lineup alongside the Portal.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
God, why did it have to be Facebook? Is Zuck really the only tech ceo dipshit who can see more than five loving minutes into the future and realize VR is going to be a big deal? God dammit :cripes:

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

njsykora posted:

If they're renaming Oculus to Facebook Reality and cutting the Oculus name from their annual VR conference, they're almost certainly working to get rid of the name completely and fold the Quest into their wider hardware lineup alongside the Portal.

Right, and theres a 2 year transition period they have to do it.

Even if they drop the oculus entirely from the brand, they'll do it over that time and people wont notice or care.

Really, what I expect to happen is what I said. They will use the oculus brand and slowly migrate facebook into the "name" of the VR products while keeping the oculus logo and branding. Slowly moving the oculus NAME away but keeping the logo under the "vr branch" of facebook.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Lemming posted:

God, why did it have to be Facebook? Is Zuck really the only tech ceo dipshit who can see more than five loving minutes into the future and realize VR is going to be a big deal? God dammit :cripes:

*monkey paw curls and we go back in time*

We’re selling Oculus to Tesla.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

*monkey paw curls and we go back in time*

We’re selling Oculus to Tesla.

For all his faults Elon is mostly just a dumb flailing idiot, he hasn't somewhat inadvertently and somewhat advertently caused widespread hate crimes and genocide and turned every boomer's brain into Q mush

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Malloc Voidstar posted:

https://tech.fb.com/introducing-the-new-facebook-reality-labs-plus-save-the-date-for-facebook-connect-on-september-16/
Facebook's VR team has been renamed "Facebook Reality Labs", the Oculus Connect event (Sep 16) has been renamed Facebook Connect. Hope you're all looking forward to the announcement of the new Facebook Reality Quest headset or whatever they're going to call it now

To clarify, Facebook Reality Labs already existed, it was their R&D division for AR/VR, so it's just a bit of organization shuffling.

njsykora posted:

In hindsight, it should probably have been obvious that the end point here was to kill off the Oculus brand name. Still, somewhat proud of owning what might be the last Oculus device if the Quest revision does end up being called the Facebook Quest.

It's a bit surprising, as FB has shown they can maintain separate brands for years without issue (see Instagram, Whatsapp)

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Is it just me or does "Facebook Reality Labs" sound insanely Orwellian

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

BMan posted:

Is it just me or does "Facebook Reality Labs" sound insanely Orwellian

It's too hard to read it as the intended "Reality Labs at Facebook" instead of "Labs where we develop Facebook Reality"

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Facebook interpreting "AR" as Alternate Reality.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Lemming posted:

There's Gaben, but he gazed too far into the abyss and it's all neural interfaces or worse now.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
https://twitter.com/pushmatrix/status/1298259832013635589

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
Is the Valve Index still the top end VR kit or is there any meaningful competition for the premium spot (either out now or within a few months)?

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Is the Valve Index still the top end VR kit or is there any meaningful competition for the premium spot (either out now or within a few months)?

Index rules supreme and the reverb G2 will be top dog contender this fall

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

This, Looks fun...

Like, I wanna try this. >_>

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Weird Al songs when?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Yeah, even though it's a meaningless change you can count me as someone who might well have still bought an Oculus Quest 2 but will not buy a Facebook Quest 2. Even among the wider public it's hard to believe that attaching the FB name to something is a positive association these days, and VR isn't big enough for positive reception of the Quest to reflect back on FB themselves, so it's a bit of a mystery what they hope to achieve.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Yeah these devices aren’t exactly niche but they are niche enough that a good portion of the folks who actually purchase them are not gonna be down with buying the Facebook Quest or whatever.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Hopefully this comes out sooner than later! Can't wait to accidently hammer a hole into my wall.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

Chinook posted:

Yeah these devices aren’t exactly niche but they are niche enough that a good portion of the folks who actually purchase them are not gonna be down with buying the Facebook Quest or whatever.

Is there any meaningful, non-Facebook, competition in the un-tethered, inside-out-tracking, inexpensive space?

My understanding is that the Quest is by far the biggest player in that specific category.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Is there any meaningful, non-Facebook, competition in the un-tethered, inside-out-tracking, inexpensive space?

My understanding is that the Quest is by far the biggest player in that specific category.

In the west it's currently the only consumer headset in the untethered category regardless of tracking or price. But if you read back even in this thread you'll find that a surprising number of enthusiasts don't see untethered as a requirement, and for more casual consumers VR isn't a requirement to begin with. So for people who don't want to buy a Facebook product the purchasing decision probably won't go "I need an untethered VR headset, Facebook make the only one, so I have to buy theirs"; more likely it'll go "an untethered headset would be nice, but Facebook make the only one so I'll buy a tethered one/none at all".

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Quest is the choice for people without gaming hardware but want VR games. Untethered/tethered isn't the real choice there - it's untethered gaming. Otherwise, there are plenty of mobile competitors.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So I got my Index and man it's just a jump in quality from the Quest, it's crazy to think how heavy the Quest is in the front. It's a shame there's no wireless adapter for it because the cord situation always sucks rear end. Great timing, too with this whole Facebook thing, I'm selling my Quest off to a friend and I'll be out of the Oculus game.

Is Revive easy to use in order to enjoy the Oculus content I own?

Also the Knuckles are so amazing it sucks that other controllers aren't on this level. It's a shame the G2 is still coming out with WMR/Touch like inputs.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Malloc Voidstar posted:

https://tech.fb.com/introducing-the-new-facebook-reality-labs-plus-save-the-date-for-facebook-connect-on-september-16/
Facebook's VR team has been renamed "Facebook Reality Labs", the Oculus Connect event (Sep 16) has been renamed Facebook Connect. Hope you're all looking forward to the announcement of the new Facebook Reality Quest headset or whatever they're going to call it now

They probably think that selling VR under a recognizable brand like Facebook Reality will help push people who aren't familiar with Oculus as a brand to buy it. Makes sense to me in the same way it makes that Zuck, the CEO who was raised on the Internet and probably without friends, would be the one to put enough into VR to make it go. If anyone is gonna believe in that stupid ready player one reality it would be him.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I have no idea what they're trying to do. What do they gain by ditching Oculus, a brand name that is almost synonymous with VR in a fairly positive way for Facebook, a brand no one likes? Not even those who use the platform. In addition to the broken promise of not requiring a FB account! It's baffling.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SCheeseman posted:

I have no idea what they're trying to do. What do they gain by ditching Oculus, a brand name that is almost synonymous with VR in a fairly positive way for Facebook, a brand no one likes? Not even those who use the platform. In addition to the broken promise of not requiring a FB account! It's baffling.

My cynical guess would put the blame on shuffling Facebook execs into the studio's day-to-day managing roles (At the very least, that's absolutely what got a lot of Oculus' promises broken, because they sure aren't the ones who made them). Some bright spark there probably wanted to be FacebookVR rather than Oculus, flying the proud Facebook brand for Facebook to make themselves look more promoteable.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Facebook has consistently strategised with a view to a hypothetical future of VR where it's a huge mass-market platform, whilst largely failing to cater in a meaningful way to their current user base of enthusiasts / fairly hardcore gamer types.

This is why the Rift failed to sell well on launch, when it came out without motion controls and a tiny selection of incredibly limited games - limited in that there was a gibbering fear at Oculus/Facebook of things like non-teleport movement that might cause some people motion sickness. This was at a time when the Rift's only competitor was only selling with motion controls (already seen even back then as the hallmark of 'true' VR) and an open platform for games which quickly spawned vr-genre-defining classics like Onward. Even when Touch launched and the Rift finally had (excellent) motion controls, the games were all limited to teleport only and extremely constrained in many other aspects of design, due to fear about how more complex or motion sickness inducing game mechanics and visuals might affect a mass-market userbase that simply didn't exist yet for Rift (and still doesn't exist, except perhaps for Quest?)

That poor launch performance of Rift I think led pretty rapidly to the shift of focus to mobile platforms and the likely abandonment of the Rift line of products altogether (don't know if they have yet formally admitted that they're not going to make a Rift 2?)

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

sigher posted:

Is Revive easy to use in order to enjoy the Oculus content I own?

I was a bit worried, but it looks super easy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlqv2cgI9Ug&t=101s

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I'm a day one Vive user, mostly because I understood the potential of having your hands in VR but also because Valve tend to be fairly ethical. I also leaned towards them because of my intense distrust of Facebook who are blatantly awful, something I've maintained even since I bought a Quest. Their hardware and software stacks are so loving good though, in an objective sense it's feels wrong to dismiss them. But geez, its tempering to wipe the slate and dismiss them as a contender based on their behavior.

I continue to hope that the hardware is freed somewhat thanks to the help of the OSS community, most of what I play is sideloaded anyway. Not much of a push for that at the moment though, which is unfortunate .

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Aug 26, 2020

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SCheeseman posted:

I'm a day one Vive user, mostly because I understood the potential of having your hands in VR but also because Valve tend to be fairly ethical. I also leaned towards them because of my intense distrust of Facebook who are blatantly awful, something I've maintained even since I bought a Quest. Their hardware and software stacks are so loving good though, in an objective sense it's feels wrong to dismiss them. But geez, its tempering to wipe the slate and dismiss them as a contender based on their behavior.

I continue to hope that the hardware is freed somewhat thanks to the help of the OSS community, most of what I play is sideloaded anyway. Not much of a push for that at the moment though, which is unfortunate .

If there's one bright spot it's that Facebook can really only sit at the top of the VR food chain until the first decent competitor shows up because all they have going for them is "their device exists". If Nintendo, or worse (for them); Sony*, decide to push into a standalone VR headset they will have truly hosed themselves. They're using the classic monopoly tactic of "lol, who else are you gonna go with? Eat poo poo and accept it", and it's gonna rightfully bite them in the rear end.

*Sony's the worse case for Facebook because, as came up a few pages back, they really could hypothetically field a standalone multimedia VR headset and just crush the Quest underfoot with their movie and music catalogue on top of exclusive games. Nevermind if it tethered to the PS5.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If there's one bright spot it's that Facebook can really only sit at the top of the VR food chain until the first decent competitor shows up because all they have going for them is "their device exists". If Nintendo, or worse (for them); Sony*, decide to push into a standalone VR headset they will have truly hosed themselves. They're using the classic monopoly tactic of "lol, who else are you gonna go with? Eat poo poo and accept it", and it's gonna rightfully bite them in the rear end.

*Sony's the worse case for Facebook because, as came up a few pages back, they really could hypothetically field a standalone multimedia VR headset and just crush the Quest underfoot with their movie and music catalogue on top of exclusive games. Nevermind if it tethered to the PS5.

Sounds like the perfect time for Apple to swoop in and invent VR (and make an even worse walled garden).

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Apple won't get involved with an actual released product until they can maintain their pride and joy Retina display resolution levels on whatever HMD. Which would be fuckin' amazing, to be sure, but also just not at all possible right now.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bad Munki posted:

Apple won't get involved with an actual released product until they can maintain their pride and joy Retina display resolution levels on whatever HMD. Which would be fuckin' amazing, to be sure, but also just not at all possible right now.

I think Apple's play is probably to push towards AR first and VR second. It's more in-line with their general "hipster" marketing tagline and the whole "Apple everywhere/thing" image. Or at least something closer to the Oculus Go/Samsung Gear as a media device.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Bad Munki posted:

HMDs are already pretty much there.

Retina is 2560x1600 for 13 inch models and 2880x1800 for 15s. Like the Reverb G2 is 2160x2160 per eye so you're already doing better than the first and pretty drat close to the latter.

It's not like Retina is 4k or something.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yeah but those per-eye displays take up a much larger fov than a 13” display a couple feet away. It’s a question of angular pixel density, not absolute resolution. Just wildly guessing at what would be required to get that density at a full field of view, it’d be like what, 8k per eye or something similarly ridiculous.

e: Current retina displays are like 70 pixels per degree (or closer to 80, even, but we'll use the low end). Index is, what, 130 degrees max fov? Maybe I'm brain-farting the math, but I believe that'd 70*130=9100 pixels across. Shrunk down to something much smaller than a 13" display. Godspeed.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Aug 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The Neon Jungle (Quill short) was awesome! It was like a gummy bear-fueled drug trip.

I expect an incoming FB acquisition of Studio Syro, lol.