Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
That's what some people do, some people go heavier on the spacebar as well. I much prefer having everything on the keyboard have the same switch though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Exit Strategy posted:

One of us.

One of us.

(Navies are my favorite switch.)

Is that SA Leviathan?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Exit Strategy posted:

One of us.

One of us.

Box navies are just the most satisfying damned snappy switch out there for me, even on top of buckling springs.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Boz0r posted:

I've ordered a 81 switch tester on Ali express, so in a couple of months I'll know what to replace them with. Do some people put stiffer keys on modifier keys?

200g capslock key. Because gently caress that.

I just ordered a full set of Box Navy, and a set of NK Blueberry and a set of NK Creams. I'll be picking up as many Kiwis as I can on Tuesday.

I also snagged a Modern Life B-stock because it was $7
https://novelkeys.xyz/products/b-stock-deskpads

an extras set of NK stabs because rose gold
https://novelkeys.xyz/products/tkc-x-nk_-olivia-stabilizer-kit-extras

and a pack of switch films even though I have no idea what to put them on
https://novelkeys.xyz/products/deskeys-switch-films

I don't even have enough keyboards for all these switches yet but there's a bunch of good groupbuys coming up so I'm trying to be prepared.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Babies Getting Rabies posted:

What kind of board is that?

It's mine.

I designed and built it, down to the PCB level.

LochNessMonster posted:

Is that SA Leviathan?

Yep!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Exit Strategy posted:

One of us.

One of us.

low-position monitor crew represent!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Hoping for a recommendation. I currently use a Steelseries 6gv2 with mx black switches which I've had for a seriously long time (I think almost 10 years). It's been great, I've had a number of spills into it over that time and it's survived, but it's getting a little long in the tooth - one of the arrow keys isn't straight anymore, it's fairly worn everywhere, and most keycap sets don't fit it because of some weird shaped keys. I think it's also occasionally giving me extra inputs on the spacebar. I also have really been liking the backlit keys on my laptop and would love to have that for my desktop also.

I'd like recommendations for a keyboard with the following qualities, listed in order of how important it is to me.

• Cherry mx black switches
  • Full size
  • Wired
  • Backlit keys (like, lit up letters/numbers not the whole underside of the key doing RGB things)
  • Good variety of third party keycap support
  • Some media controls like a mute I can toggle would be nice but not really crucial.
  • Aesthetic that speaks to it being well built, not crazy about anything gaudy/g4m3r

Thanks in advance my dudes

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Aug 23, 2020

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones
While we’re at recommendations: I’m thinking about cancelling my Preonic with Halo Clears. It should have shipped by now and I’m wondering if I could optimize my keyboard further. I currently have a Vortex Vibe with browns, which is ... ok.

I like tactile switches, but browns aren’t exactly good and I type *hard* and bottom out all the drat time. I have broken two lovely dell keyboards over the past three years at the office, usually by straight up breaking off either the space or enter key at the stem.

I’m thinking about building a keyboard using an XD75re PCB, but I need switch advice.

What are good tactile switches for idiots that type like gorillas?

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
I have a preonic that came with halo trues and I had to swap them out as I found them much too heavy to be comfortable. I’m a heavy typer too but my fingers would ache after a few pages. I’m using zealios now and find them more comfortable, but i’d like to give box jades a try as well. I know there’s some difference in weighing between the trues and clears but i’m not sure which is heavier off the top of my head.

Browns aren’t my favorite switch but I wouldn’t worry about breaking them, even if you’ve worn out rubber domes in the past. Mechanical switches are just much more durable by design and even cheap mech keys should outlast squishy rubber by a large margin.

e: if you’re breaking caps rather than switches, again, I think that’s less likely to happen by design on a mech keyboard with decent stabilizers on long keys. The preonic only has a 2u space by default anyway, and the kit comes with stabilizers so you shouldn’t have problems there.

hypnophant fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Aug 23, 2020

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones
The clears have a higher tactile point (63 vs 59g) but an overall much less stiff spring. The Preonic is nice and I definitely want to move to an ortholinear layout, but the XD75 could be mapped so all ISO-DE keys are available without layers, which I feel would make the transition a lot easier.

As for the switches, I’m more worried about the constant bottoming out and I figure a switch with more resistance might prevent that. I don’t think I can realistically break my keyboard, it feels pretty solid.

I’ve been looking at Zealios and Zilents, but figured others might have more experience here. The box jades are a good idea, I’ll look into them as well.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

VelociBacon posted:

I'd like recommendations for a keyboard with the following qualities, listed in order of how important it is to me.

• Cherry mx black switches
  • Full size
  • Wired
  • Backlit keys (like, lit up letters/numbers not the whole underside of the key doing RGB things)
  • Good variety of third party keycap support
  • Some media controls like a mute I can toggle would be nice but not really crucial.
  • Aesthetic that speaks to it being well built, not crazy about anything gaudy/g4m3r

Thanks in advance my dudes

This Ducky One 2 sounds like a good candidate for your list.

I think you might like the NovelKeys BOX Royal, but I'm not sure if they'll come back in stock. These Hako Royal switches could be good, too. I had the Royal Clears once upon a time, and I remember them having a really aggressively heavy bottom-out resistance, almost like they were gently uppercutting my fingers. I didn't like them myself, but you might enjoy that extra bit of ramped-up resistance.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

This Ducky One 2 sounds like a good candidate for your list.

I think you might like the NovelKeys BOX Royal, but I'm not sure if they'll come back in stock. These Hako Royal switches could be good, too. I had the Royal Clears once upon a time, and I remember them having a really aggressively heavy bottom-out resistance, almost like they were gently uppercutting my fingers. I didn't like them myself, but you might enjoy that extra bit of ramped-up resistance.

Ducky One 2 is amazing. Got it for more than a year now and I won't ever want to change it. Other than the shipping snafu (not in stock for 2 months, then got shipped to the wrong address from the other side of the world), I completely love it. And you change the RGB colors and patterns from the keyboard itself, no software required. That also means that the patterns themselves are hardcoded into the chip, but I'll take that over some bullshit program that has to be run under windows to change stuff.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

The clears have a higher tactile point (63 vs 59g) but an overall much less stiff spring. The Preonic is nice and I definitely want to move to an ortholinear layout, but the XD75 could be mapped so all ISO-DE keys are available without layers, which I feel would make the transition a lot easier.

As for the switches, I’m more worried about the constant bottoming out and I figure a switch with more resistance might prevent that. I don’t think I can realistically break my keyboard, it feels pretty solid.

I’ve been looking at Zealios and Zilents, but figured others might have more experience here. The box jades are a good idea, I’ll look into them as well.
Could consider some Durock tactiles, cheaper than Zealios and in stock at a European retailer if that's relevant here: https://keygem.store/collections/durock-switches/products/durock-koala-67g-10pcs

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Llamadeus posted:

Could consider some Durock tactiles, cheaper than Zealios and in stock at a European retailer if that's relevant here: https://keygem.store/collections/durock-switches/products/durock-koala-67g-10pcs

I’ve got the Aliaz T1s on my Preonic as a heavy typer and absolutely love both the switches as the preonic itself. I can’t recommend it enough if you want to give orthos a try.

Wife hates the sound so swapping them out for Zilents soon.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

While we’re at recommendations: I’m thinking about cancelling my Preonic with Halo Clears. It should have shipped by now and I’m wondering if I could optimize my keyboard further. I currently have a Vortex Vibe with browns, which is ... ok.

I like tactile switches, but browns aren’t exactly good and I type *hard* and bottom out all the drat time. I have broken two lovely dell keyboards over the past three years at the office, usually by straight up breaking off either the space or enter key at the stem.

I’m thinking about building a keyboard using an XD75re PCB, but I need switch advice.

I type like a gorilla.
Hako Royal Trues are good.

e: I just noticed they're out of stock. Sorry friend.

Double edit: actually Kono has them.
https://kono.store/products/hako-royal-true-mechanical-switches-10-count?_pos=1&_sid=c4d5c0ef3&_ss=r

Also, I just picked up an Alpine Deskmat. https://bitmapstudio.xyz/products/alpine-deskmat
Pretty stoked for the Alpine65. So stoked I might just get 2 since I didn't get in on that Smith & Rune Iron 165 (or the extras)

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Aug 24, 2020

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Thanks guys! I'll gently caress with the duck.\

e: dang I should have guessed this would be a rabbit-hole. I don't think I care about having backlit keys anymore because it seems to limit a lot of the more interesting keycap designs. It's so hard to find MX Black switches too.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Aug 24, 2020

feedback loop
Feb 16, 2015

Boz0r posted:

I've ordered a 81 switch tester on Ali express, so in a couple of months I'll know what to replace them with. Do some people put stiffer keys on modifier keys?

I use tactiles with 62g springs on every key except my spacebar, which is a linear with an 80g spring. I like the mix because high-quality, thick caps will make the spacebar switch feel lighter in my experience.

meta²
Sep 11, 2001

What the flip was Grandma doing at the dunes?

Does this keyboard exist?
- Compact, tenkeyless 70% layout with no gaps between keys
- USB-C and Bluetooth Connectivity
- White or translucent frame / base. Or something easily swappable

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
Not really sure what you mean about Compact, tenkeyless 70% layout with no gaps between keys.

Maybe you mean 75% layout by no gap?

Taborcarn
Jan 8, 2020

Battle Santa

meta² posted:

The Keychron K2 has that except the white/translucent frame. It's either black plastic or aluminum.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

meta² posted:

Tenkeyless and 70% (really 75%) are two different boards.

Akko 3084 is 75% and bluetooth.
idk if it comes in a white case or not.
Same goes for the Vortex Tab75 and the Keycool Hero 84

I don't think any of these support QMK though.

meta²
Sep 11, 2001

What the flip was Grandma doing at the dunes?

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Tenkeyless and 70% (really 75%) are two different boards.

Akko 3084 is 75% and bluetooth.
idk if it comes in a white case or not.
Same goes for the Vortex Tab75 and the Keycool Hero 84

I don't think any of these support QMK though.

These layouts all look good, but none have a light base.

Are there any keyboards that have any easy to switch out case?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

meta² posted:

These layouts all look good, but none have a light base.

Are there any keyboards that have any easy to switch out case?

Kits do, but I don't know about any particular off the shelf models that do.
Spraypaint is also a thing though.

Again, it's a tough one because there really aren't any keebs that size that do bluetooth and are programmable via QMK or VIA so I have no interest in them.
Maybe this?

https://en.zfrontier.com/products/jupiter75
It ended a year ago but maybe there's something floating around or they'll do another GB.

e: if you're willing to step down to 60% I have a PCB for you:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=107627.0;topicseen
It will fit plenty of white cases.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Aug 25, 2020

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Bah, wasn't able to snag any Kiwis this round. I had it in my cart for checkout at 12:00 kept getting a shipping error message saying that my address here in Seattle wasn't available to be shipped to, then once it accepted my address it sold out. Super lame.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
I tried getting some of those kiwi switches, but apparently putting them in the shopping cart doesn't reserve them, as when I tried paying for them I got a message saying that the cart needed to be updated, and now they're gone.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

don't worry, I'm sure someone will sell kiwis on r/mechmarket at a reasonable pri--hahahahahaha

actually it looks like they're doing another drop at 9 pm EST so maybe you'll be able to get in then?

e: vvv Supposedly yes, sometime in September (and here's the TKL page)?

Stroop There It Is fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Aug 25, 2020

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Nevermind that poo poo will ducky sell the midnight one 2 again?

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006

Stroop There It Is posted:

don't worry, I'm sure someone will sell kiwis on r/mechmarket at a reasonable pri--hahahahahaha

actually it looks like they're doing another drop at 9 pm EST so maybe you'll be able to get in then?

Not likely, since that's 3 AM where I am :D

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

What are these kiwis you’re talking about? I feel like I’m missing out on something...

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

VelociBacon posted:

Nevermind that poo poo will ducky sell the midnight one 2 again?

You mean this? If you're in the US, then yes. Depending on which switch you want, ETA for restock is Sep 6 through 22.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

LochNessMonster posted:

What are these kiwis you’re talking about? I feel like I’m missing out on something...
Just T1 stems in C3 Tangerine housings: https://thekey.company/products/c3-equalz-x-tkc-kiwi-switches

The unique selling points being the colour and the housing material (supposedly containing some amount of UHMWPE) I guess.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Was much more successful getting 120 Kiwis this time.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
What cool switches should I try now that I missed out on kiwis? I've only got Cherry and Gateron Browns and Kaihl Box Navies.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Boz0r posted:

What cool switches should I try now that I missed out on kiwis? I've only got Cherry and Gateron Browns and Kaihl Box Navies.

Are you only looking for tactiles or clicky switches? The Kiwis are basically Durock T1s, so you could try those or the Durock Koalas. NovelKeys x Kailh Box Pinks are my favorite of the Kailh box switches if you haven’t tried those.

If you’re okay looking into linears, the new hotness right now are the NovelKeys JWK Silk Red/Yellow/Black that come prelubed with Krytox 205g0 (or the Dry series which are unlubed). The Silks restock in September. Gateron Inks and NK Creams are really good too.

Glorious PC Gaming Race is also introducing their own “Glorious Panda” switches to build on the hype for Holy Pandas, especially since Drop has managed to gently caress that up.

https://mobile.twitter.com/GloriousPCGR/status/1297654943248252928

But because the hobby is crazy, of course there’s a lot of drama with this announcement as well. GPCGR has previously tried to get Kailh to create and manufacture clones of Novelkeys Creams and Zealios for them, which was obviously turned down. Drop has the rights to distribution of the Halo stems, so people are questioning what GPCG are doing to get around that and why they should be called “Holy” pandas without the proper stems.

ihatepants fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Aug 26, 2020

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
I couldn't get in on the first drop of Kiwis either due to shipping errors. The later drop went MUCH smoother and I was able to get some.
Props to TKC for getting that second drop ironed out.

In other news, that lovely loving keyboard I kickstartered a year ago that I thought would never materalize is actually going to be a thing and apparently they're working on QMK support which is loving huge.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/woo-dy/woo-dy-a-67-keys-mechanical-keyboard-that-is-breathing/posts/2934967

So it looks like things are finally starting to come up Milhouse.

Boz0r posted:

NovelKeys just got Box Heavies back in stock.
https://novelkeys.xyz/products/novelkeys-x-kailh-box-heavy-switches

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Whoop, whoop.

Box Navies came in. Man these are satisfying to type on, but hhheeaaavvvyyyy.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

.Z. posted:

Whoop, whoop.

Box Navies came in. Man these are satisfying to type on, but hhheeaaavvvyyyy.

Mine just came in too. Haven't opened the box yet but there's other stuff too:

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
What options are there for a full-size hot swappable ISO kit?

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
Glorious actually has an ISO kit, surprisingly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006

Constellation I posted:

Glorious actually has an ISO kit, surprisingly.

Yeah, I forgot to put "other than GMMK"