Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/msdanifernandez/status/1297342305452453888?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Did DC ever do trading cards in the 90s like Marvel did?

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

A Strange Aeon posted:

Did DC ever do trading cards in the 90s like Marvel did?

Like so?
https://www.amazon.com/1991-Comics-180-Card-Set/dp/B0152J8B7M

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Yes! Exactly that, cool to know they exist and look so similar to the Marvel set I have.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

They just didn’t do it to the extent Marvel did because wasn’t Marvel owned by a trading card company in the 90’s?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I thought they bought Fleer out?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/rusty_shackles/status/1297691050451120133?s=20

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
First issue of Three Jokers finally came out, actually pretty good

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
The 1990s Comic Book Trading Card Timeline, with links!

- The Liggett Group, producers of classic cigarette brands like L&M and Chesterfield, spin off all of their non-tobacco related interests into a company called Impel.
- Impel releases the first set of Marvel Universe trading cards

- Impel releases the first set of DC Comics Cosmic Cards. The Batman license is still tied to Topps because of the movies.
- Impel changes their name to Skybox, starts making 'premium' basketball cards in addition to Marvel Universe cards and other sets.
- This also leads to the first set of Marvel Masterpieces, a premium Marvel set
- Skybox also releases sets focused specifically on Spider-Man and the X-Men
- Marvel Entertainment purchases the Fleer trading card company for $540,000,000

- Despite now owning Fleer, Marvel still has a contract with Skybox, who in 1993 put out their now-annual Marvel Universe and DC Cosmic Cards sets (now featuring Batman), as well as new Masterpieces/Spider-Man/X-Men sets. They also do sets for the Death and Return of Superman, DC Bloodlines, Milestone, and Ultraverse, because everyone was doing too much in the 1990s.

- Marvel, free of their Skybox contract, spray out five Marvel sets at Fleer, along with a set for the newly purchased Ultraverse.
- Skybox puts out their own Ultraverse set before that license expires, plus a DC Universe set, along with sets for Batman, Superman, Sandman, and Vertigo
- This is also the year that the sports card market starts to collapse, both because of the speculator bubble bursting and because both MLB and NHL have labor disputes that shorten their seasons and limit interest in both sports

- Fleer starts putting out two sets a year for X-Men and Spider-Man cards, plus two general Marvel ones. They make a seventh Marvel set, which is Marvel vs. DC.
- Skybox is still putting out a couple of DC sets, plus they pick up the rights to do a Youngblood set about three years too late, as well as a set of "creator owned heroes" which is like the third and least memorable iteration of the concept done by other companies.
- Marvel Entertainment buys Skybox for $150,000,000. They also buy Panini for an amount I still can't find but was likely also low nine figures.
- Meanwhile the NBA (the main license Skybox has) also has a lock-out that hurts basketball card sales

- Fleer/Skybox (a subsidiary of Marvel Entertainment) puts out at least three sets apiece for Spider-Man and the X-Men, plus sets for Amalgam Comics, Marvel Masterpieces, Wolverine, Onslaught, the Batman & Robin film, Kingdom Come, a couple of Batman sets, and tries making Collectible Card Games for both the DC and Marvel Universes.
- Marvel Entertainment files for bankruptcy in December, in no small part because corporate spent close to a billion dollars on trading card companies in the previous three years as revenues in that sector collapsed''

- Fleer still somehow puts out like eight Marvel trading card sets, including the bizarre "QFX" Set which is just garishly computed-colored Joe Quesada drawings photoshopped on top of photos of real-life NYC spots. This is long before Quesada had an editorial position at the company. They also did a Marvel vs. Wildstorm set that does not appear to be connected to any comics, though I know there were a few WildC.A.T.S./X-Men and maybe a Spider-Man/Backlash series put out around the same time.
- DC appears to have gotten out of the trading card game at this point.

- Marvel sells off Fleer/Skybox for less than $30,000,000 and by and large ending the glut of superhero trading cards

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I don’t know poo poo about trading cards, so I don’t know if the 90s was a golden age, but I remember buying a lot of “Little Shop of Horrors” card packs at a convenience store like 5 years after the movie came out, and in retrospect that’s a little weird.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Madkal's history of cards:

It all started with soccer (football) cards when I was about 10 years old. These were for English (and Scottish but who cares about Scottish teams) teams and of course you needed to complete the full set for your favourite team. Everything I know about capitalism came from soccer card trading (I will give you two of these for one of those, no, okay what about 3 plus you get to pick the third etc). There was also a a card "gambling" game where you put your card in the middle with the card you want to win from someone else, and you smack the cards to get them to flip over. If you win you get all the cards in the middle. So I guess I learnt about capitalism and gambling from soccer cards. Then came pogs.

The first comic book cards I remember collecting were the Hildebrandt Marvel cards. By then the gambling aspect of card collecting ended (hitting cards into the ground kind of ruins them) but I remember have some cool cards from those. Also by this time my cousin in the states gave me a bunch of baseball cards but because I don't watch baseball I didn't really care about them.
Then came a bunch of X-Men cards and those loving ruled. There were limited edition chrome cards. Limited edition "etched/canvas" cards. Awesome weird art by artists I haven't heard of before or since. Those cards were the poo poo and I think I still have card sleeves somewhere around the house or in storage.
And then after that.....nothing. I honestly don't remember there ever being any superhero card stuff. It just kind of got snuffed out of memory (and E&C's post explains why) but for the longest time before, those cards were everything to me and my friends. We would talk about the cards more than comic books. We would compare sets. Which was our favourite, who did Gambit better etc.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Thanks E&C, that was incredibly informative! It's wild Fleer was bought for $540 million--I guess the notion that sports trading cards could ever have been an industry where one company could get bought for that much is eye opening to me. I can feel the sigh of relief from whoever owned Fleer at that time when the ink dried on that sale.

There were also a ton more sets than I'd imagined--the Vertigo series seems super strange to me, like I'm imagining the Endless across a series of 9 cards where they match up to form a complete composition in a 3 by 3 card sleeve in a binder.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Weird question, but earlier this year someone was talking about proposed and rejected names for Vertigo and I promised I'd make one of them the title of BSS when Autumn came around. Well, there's a nip in the breeze and a ghost in the trees and so on but I forget what the seasonal title was going to be. If anyone remembers or has that list hanging around, please set me on the right track?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

How Wonderful! posted:

Weird question, but earlier this year someone was talking about proposed and rejected names for Vertigo and I promised I'd make one of them the title of BSS when Autumn came around. Well, there's a nip in the breeze and a ghost in the trees and so on but I forget what the seasonal title was going to be. If anyone remembers or has that list hanging around, please set me on the right track?

Weirder answer: I put a reminder in my phone to tell you. The one you wanted was "THE SCREAMING ROOM"

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

The X-Men cards were always pretty cool until the Onslaught era set. The coloring looked way too digital, and the art over all wasn’t nearly as varied for exciting. And the Marvel Metal set wasn’t nearly as cool as you’d think a all foil set would be.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

lifg posted:

I don’t know poo poo about trading cards, so I don’t know if the 90s was a golden age, but I remember buying a lot of “Little Shop of Horrors” card packs at a convenience store like 5 years after the movie came out, and in retrospect that’s a little weird.
Golden Age is a very weird way to describe it, but the early 1990s were definitely a boom period in the same way that the early 1990s were a boom period for comic books, which is very different from a "golden age".

The Little Shop of Horrors cards you mentioned would have come out at the same time as the movie, in 1986.

They were put out by Topps, who since the early 1950s were the sole licensee of Major League Baseball and sort of created the modern concept of 'trading cards' as something you buy a pack of, and get some cards and a sticker and some gum. Before that they were kind of all over the place, often included as the 'bonus' in boxes of candy or cereal or cigarettes. But Topps more or less popularized the concept of making baseball cards and just selling them to kids as "hey, get some baseball cards!" though there are various other attempts before/during Topps's ascent.

Topps tried a lot of others things (other sports, historical sets about the World Wars or Flags of the World, Davy Crockett and Hopalong Cassidy sets, infamously the Mars Attacks set) before sort of settling into two lines in the 1960s:

a) Photo cards for popular TV and films
b) "Humor" cards that seemed to be targeting the MAD Magazine audience, sometimes employing actual MAD cartoonists like Jack Davis

The film/TV ones got a huge boost in 1977 with the Star Wars cards, which seemed to make them scoop up as many licenses as possible; they'd always done them throughout the 1960s and 1970s (Planet of the Apes! Good Times! Star Trek! King Kong '76!) but after Star Wars it was anything they thought would be a big hit; 1978 alone had trading card sets for Superman: The Movie, Grease, Jaws, Close Encounters, Battlestar Galactica, Mork & Mindy, and Three's Company. This continued on for years, mostly chasing the Star Wars dragon.

Two other things happened in the early 1980s: much like the explosion of comic book stores, thousands of Baseball Card stores opened as well. Prior to (and maybe during) the 1980s, trading cards were sold/distributed by candy wholesalers, which makes sense because the main company (Topps) started out making Bazooka Joe bubble gum, and cards in general started as an incentive to buy candy (or again, cigarettes, but public relations killed that by the 1930s). They were also mostly found as impulse purchases by the checkouts at delis, drug stores, etc. Major League Baseball also licensed two other candy/gum companies (Fleer and Donruss) to make baseball cards starting in 1981, so things were poised to get big and dumb really quick.

Anyway that's a really long-winded answer as to why you found old Little Shop of Horrors cards at a convenience store in the 1990s. By the mid 1980s all of the companies were pumping out an insane number of cards, and while many of them went to dealers, a huge amount of them went into warehouses of candy distributors. Some probably just junked them at the end of their 'cycle', but some held onto them. There's a candy store in lower Manhattan that sells old trading card packs (including Little Shop of Horrors!) at their store, both physically and online. I would guess whoever ran your convenience store had the same idea, and the distributor was probably happy to get them out of the warehouse.

A Strange Aeon posted:

Thanks E&C, that was incredibly informative! It's wild Fleer was bought for $540 million--I guess the notion that sports trading cards could ever have been an industry where one company could get bought for that much is eye opening to me. I can feel the sigh of relief from whoever owned Fleer at that time when the ink dried on that sale.
It's a really dumb deal in hindsight (and probably was a very dubious deal even at the time, but that's Perelman-era Marvel for you!) but trading cards were a multi-billion dollar industry in that moment, and it was probably roughly market value for the company, so long as you assume trading cards will continue to be popular forever. Buying Fleer also got you a set of (at the time limited to just a few companies) licenses to print MLB/NFL/NBA/NHL cards, which again, is a valuable long-term asset for a big entertainment company, if you assume the trading card boom will never end.

quote:

There were also a ton more sets than I'd imagined--the Vertigo series seems super strange to me, like I'm imagining the Endless across a series of 9 cards where they match up to form a complete composition in a 3 by 3 card sleeve in a binder.
The Vertigo cards were kind of cool actually! Though they were part of an inexplicable trend in the mid-1990s to make cards larger, which just meant you couldn't fit them into any of the sleeves or sheets or boxes that everyone buying cards had.

They also did the incredibly common thing that Impel/Marvel finally broke the mold of, which is assuming people would want to collect sets of trading cards that were just covers/interior panels of comic books. So the first half of the set is just covers of old Swamp Thing/Hellblazer/Sandman comics with a brief plot summary of the issue on the back. The rest were at least newly commissioned portraits, so if you ever wanted a Sebastian O or Enigma rookie card, you were in luck!

The Sebastian O one is a good example of the early stages of what OMN was talking about. People got way too enamored with the foil embossing and chromium and computer coloring and it felt like anyone trying to apply it was used to doing it to comic book sized things that could look cool if done properly, but looks like garbage at trading card size.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Of all the comic book trading cards i had as a kid, that very first Marvel set from Impel was always my favorite. I think because it had more text on the back and looked the most like "traditional" comic art. Also it included a set where Spider-Man interviews a bunch of different characters and they were funny.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I love this 1992 set so much.
https://www.tcdb.com/ViewSet.cfm/sid/74960/1992-Impel-Marvel-Universe

I bought what I thought was a complete set like 15 years ago, but turned out it was missing some cards. I should fill in those blanks...

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Edge & Christian posted:

There's a candy store in lower Manhattan that sells old trading card packs (including Little Shop of Horrors!) at their store, both physically and online. I would guess whoever ran your convenience store had the same idea, and the distributor was probably happy to get them out of the warehouse.

Ha, I was going to mention Economy Candy as I was reading through this post. I order candy from there sometimes and I usually throw in a few packs of like, Warren Beatty Dick Tracy cards or something to annoy my wife with.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Uthor posted:

I love this 1992 set so much.
https://www.tcdb.com/ViewSet.cfm/sid/74960/1992-Impel-Marvel-Universe

I bought what I thought was a complete set like 15 years ago, but turned out it was missing some cards. I should fill in those blanks...
I have way too many trading cards in some boxes on top of my closet that I can't bear to throw out but also have no use for, if you (or anyone reading this) has an urge to relive your childhood via trading cards please let me know. I promise those posts were not viral marketing for me to get rid of these trading cards.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
All I know is I really want to acquire complete sets for Mars Attacks and Dinosaurs Attacks some day, thankfully prices seem to actually be pretty reasonable for them as long as you aren't trying to get the original release for the former set, so I'll probably do it eventually, just gotta remember to do it when I have money

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I think I was too shy to ask my parents for gory cards like the Attacks series. Really wish I had those now. I do have a complete Mortal Kombat set that was mostly just screenshots from the first game. The coolest part was the art for the new characters from the upcoming sequel!

Speaking of weird sized cards: The Spawn series had some cool art, but the cards themselves were really tall, and I think a little skinnier compared to normal cards.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Weirder answer: I put a reminder in my phone to tell you. The one you wanted was "THE SCREAMING ROOM"

Thank you, I will make sure that we have a spooky autumn here in the comic book crypt.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!
Does anyone have a link to that weird old X-Men, uhhh, maybe it was Marvel in general, card game that you played on the computer? I remember X-Force characters like Zeitgeist were featured pretty heavily.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
To what degree did the advent of CCGs affect the trading card market? It seems like they should’ve, since it’s the same basic “open a pack of random cards, see if you got a good one” loop except with a much more concrete definition of what the good cards are and you can actually do something with them once you open them.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

CapnAndy posted:

To what degree did the advent of CCGs affect the trading card market? It seems like they should’ve, since it’s the same basic “open a pack of random cards, see if you got a good one” loop except with a much more concrete definition of what the good cards are and you can actually do something with them once you open them.

I've always seen CCGs as an evolution of trading cards. The loop is the same and you're right that you now have a much easier (especially pre-wide adoption of internet) time assigning worth to each card. But there's also massive difference in that there's also actual value to having multiples of a single card. I think that creates a better inherent value on any pack purchased that you just never got from just trading cards where the value is much more in the completeness of your collection.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CCGs experienced the same boom/bust as trading cards. At one point loving everything had a card game.

My favorite little tid bit is Highlander had a card game that used movie stills for the art, they made an expansion centered around Sean Connery's character but couldn't get likeness rights so all the pictures are either heavily backlit to the point you can't see his face at all, or of his stunt double.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I want that, now. Holy poo poo.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/McKelvie/status/1299397198413791232?s=19

https://twitter.com/McKelvie/status/1299399686864896000?s=19

Edit:

https://twitter.com/kierongillen/status/1299402468120555521?s=19

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Aug 28, 2020

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

In one of the replies:

https://twitter.com/EricaFails/status/1299399415552258056?s=20

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
at least she has a sense of humor about it

https://mobile.twitter.com/Maisie_Williams/status/1299410794862477314

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

She's twenty three now, I think she was a teenager when they started filming that.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

I am curious on how anything could top X-Men 3 so that does make it a must see for me

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

That's kind of interesting. There'd been some buzz the movie was good.

On the other hand, sorry Bob.

https://twitter.com/OhMyMithrandir/status/1299422533389824008

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Casting a light skinned Brazilian as Roberto was pretty BS, and holy poo poo at loving up McLeod's name in the credits, the rest is a bit silly though.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

He's not right about it being on the movie forever. If they care enough, it shouldn't take terribly long to fix. It's sad otherwise, though.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

He's not right about it being on the movie forever. If they care enough, it shouldn't take terribly long to fix. It's sad otherwise, though.

Because it's a mistake hopefully it will be fixed, but I just watched the 4k of The Matrix (released in 2018) and it still says "Directed by the Wachowski Brothers" and Laurence and Andrew Wachowski are listed individually as producers in the credits.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

One thing I was really impressed by was when Sophie Campbell came out as trans, IDW updated all their books on comiXology to reflect her new name. It made a small kerfuffle at ComicBookDB (RIP) because they changed it after that month's physical books were printed, so we weren't sure which name to credit (the mechanism for name changes was ... poor).

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Isn't there some SAG/WGA/DGA rule about never changing credits after something is shown?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

jesus christ

https://twitter.com/ethan_kraft/status/1299528829019578368?s=20