Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Geisladisk posted:

Geisladisk posted:

So I made a diorama for the first time.

Goobertown Hobbies, the youtube paint guy, runs a painting challenge where you randomly select a unpainted miniature in your collection, and you roll for the theme and color scheme. The model that I got was a Leopard 2 main battle tank from the 1980s in 15mm scale. This Leopard 2 would be "Heroic" and... purple.

Painting such a grounded model in a whimsical color just felt very off to me, so I started trying to make a narrative where that color scheme makes sense. Why is the tank purple? Because it's on a planet with purple vegetation. That would make purple a perfectly sensible color for a tank. Why is it on a planet with purple vegetation? Uh, well, it is fighting giant aliens. Why is a tank from the 1980s on a purple planet in presumably the rather far future fighting aliens? Well, it's very old I guess.

So: In summary, the little narrative I made to justify the silly color is that we have a very old tank on a planet with purple vegetation fighting aliens.

This snowballed into making this diorama: I used a 40k Hormagaunt as the alien monster, which compared to a 15mm tank is a giant kaiju. I added some purple little 15mm scale soldiers to give a sense of the scale. I had done up a desert base before I remembered about my purple vegetation so I added a purple tuft. I wanted a sense of motion and action, so I put the gaunt on a flight base, mid-pounce, and added billowing dust clouds behind the tank, to give the sense that it is driving at high speed, swiveling away from the alien. I put a little smoke at the end of the barrel - The tank just fired, and missed.

Making this silly diorama was a lot of fun. Painting super serious real life military hardware purple with checkerbox patterns and roman numerals is fun. Painting a model that I'm never going to use for gaming just for it's own sake was fun.

X-Posting from the mini painting thread. I'm still counting it as historical because it's got a couple of historical minis in it, dangit.

Looks very nice! :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Giving 40k a break for a bit since I'm feeling a bit burned out on it. Decided to give my 1940 French army another pass.

Here's the original scheme I had with them.

It was okay, but my issue with it was that it all kinda blended together. While ideal in reality, it didn't really look all that great on the tabletop.

Here's the scheme I landed on after a second pass, pushing the layers more and making them a bit brighter.

After liking the results, I started working on all the models i've already painted. Here's 13 I finished up today. Ended up pushing the layers on the pouches, uniforms and helmets. I'll still go back and do a layer on the backpacks & skin.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Agreed, second one looks better. :) the added contrast does it.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The first was great, but I agree that the increased contrast adds visual depth. Vraiment très bon!

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Hon hon in approval

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Nearly finished with my Tirailleurs!

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
420 smoke machete charges erry day :getin:

Those are really nice!

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Guys, I don't think GHQ can be accepted in this hobby anymore:

https://twitter.com/Lord_Denton/status/1297762482094841858

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Do they even take orders by fax anymore?!

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

It's okay Peter Pig will always be a safe haven for websites.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
GHQ has always been the outlier because they had photos of their entire range on the website. No fun guess-and-find-out order process.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
So I know most people in this thread who used to play have drifted away from Flames of War by this point, but the Soviet Bagration book is coming out soon and I am here to tell you in complete disbelief that it looks good.

Units and Formations
Command Cards

Unit Highlights:

Command Cards:

There's more in the articles, but there's some really solid stuff in there. Big highlights for me are hidden in the command cards: With Decoy Panthers, Soviets finally have broken the artificial ceiling that prevented them from getting any weapons higher than AT12 that had RoF 2 (A limitation that has existed for the entirety of the game's existence), and, even more significantly, an actual smoke bombardment.

Might be the stockholm syndrome talking, but the book looks really solid and I'm excited to give it a whirl.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I like the Naval Infantry stuff, but I assume they still have garbage commissar rules?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Anarcho-Commissar posted:

I like the Naval Infantry stuff, but I assume they still have garbage commissar rules?

Commissars are still a thing, but in V4 the rule is just "This unit gets a bonus to their motivation while the Commissar is alive" (It's the blue boxes to the right of their regular rating) as opposed to the literal 40K Commissars they were in V3, so it's not as terrible.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Pretty good hobby progress this weekend.

Based up my Tirailleurs

Also painted the uniforms and based the Medium Mortar Team

And painted up a Somua yesterday. A friend and I were talking about how to get a cast hull look on tanks and I tried using the sandable primer. Turned out pretty well!

Now I'm just waiting on transfers to arrive for the Somua. Does anyone know of a source where I can get a waterslide decal of the 4th Regiment of Cuirassiers? I was going based off this blog.

I guess I can try hand painting it but i'm not that great at brush control.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I've got an answer for that!

I did mine by printing it in color on a thin piece of printer paper, then using mod-podge to apply it as an applique. Lastly, I tidied up the red and white by hand to make it fit in.

It's slightly raised, but hardly noticable at arm's length.

I used the same trick for the license plate, which would have been impossible otherwise.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

moths posted:

I did mine by printing it in color on a thin piece of printer paper, then using mod-podge to apply it as an applique. Lastly, I tidied up the red and white by hand to make it fit in.

It's slightly raised, but hardly noticable at arm's length.

I used the same trick for the license plate, which would have been impossible otherwise.

What a fantastic idea! Thank you!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I'm happy to help! It's a very fortunate coincidence.

I'll try to find the images I scaled and photoshopped, I may have used a posterize filter to make the image look better at that resolution. It's on my old PC so I can't make any promises though.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I actually found a solution, i think. I just saved that image from that blog and pasted it in various sizes to a work doc. I'll cut them out when I get home tonight to see what size fits.

Also I love your Somua.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

That should work, especially if you tidy it up by hand.

And thanks! It's a straight-up copied scheme from this one:

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Acebuckeye13 posted:

So I know most people in this thread who used to play have drifted away from Flames of War by this point, but the Soviet Bagration book is coming out soon and I am here to tell you in complete disbelief that it looks good.

Units and Formations
Command Cards

Unit Highlights:

Command Cards:

There's more in the articles, but there's some really solid stuff in there. Big highlights for me are hidden in the command cards: With Decoy Panthers, Soviets finally have broken the artificial ceiling that prevented them from getting any weapons higher than AT12 that had RoF 2 (A limitation that has existed for the entirety of the game's existence), and, even more significantly, an actual smoke bombardment.

Might be the stockholm syndrome talking, but the book looks really solid and I'm excited to give it a whirl.

My concern is they seem to have fiddled with some points to make them a bit more worth-it, but they're not changing the basic rifle company points despite the fact they've been garbage since mid-war. Even in mid-war they were competing against scouts, heroes, and motor rifles, and in late war they're competing against all those and engineer sappers. BF seem to think there's some gold buried under the "Urrah!" rule, but I haven't found it yet.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah, baseline rifles are still going to be terrible. Uurah just lets you charge into assault a turn later... to get repulsed by the defensive fire because you have no access to smoke bombardments and are hit on 3+. On the other hand, all the other infantry options look dope as hell, so that's nice.

And I'm honestly really surprised by how good this book looks. IS-2s and IS-1s are going to be an absolute pain in the rear end for Germans to deal with. They can duke it out with Tigers and Panthers on even footing. AT 17 will go right through them, but the only AT 17 they have right now is Ferdinands, which are only available if they play using Fortress Europe, and PaK 43s, which get turbomurdered by all the cheap mortars Soviets have.

lovestick
Feb 11, 2006

~30303030303~

moths posted:

Thanks for the tip! Tried this with a licence plate today and worked a charm.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Geisladisk posted:

And I'm honestly really surprised by how good this book looks.

Same, I may have to drag out my old Soviets.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Geisladisk posted:

Yeah, baseline rifles are still going to be terrible. Uurah just lets you charge into assault a turn later... to get repulsed by the defensive fire because you have no access to smoke bombardments and are hit on 3+. On the other hand, all the other infantry options look dope as hell, so that's nice.

In theory urrah means you're never not getting enough teams into contact to trigger the new big assaults rule, but in practice that's not the case at all, and it's only 8 hits; 10 hits wasn't even that hard to get.

Funnily enough, smoke pots is back so engineers also confidently beat them there.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Anyone messed around with Black Seas yet? I was about to pick up the starter set the other day but decided to hold off.

Comrade Merf
Jun 2, 2011

EdsTeioh posted:

Anyone messed around with Black Seas yet? I was about to pick up the starter set the other day but decided to hold off.

My group seems to have settled on Oak & Iron instead. I've only played Oak & Iron my self but the reason given for dropping Black Seas was they saw it as a pretty lazy re-implementation of the already "meh" Cruel Seas system.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Comrade Merf posted:

My group seems to have settled on Oak & Iron instead. I've only played Oak & Iron my self but the reason given for dropping Black Seas was they saw it as a pretty lazy re-implementation of the already "meh" Cruel Seas system.

Are you guys using the O&I ships? They look pretty...underwhelming from what I've seen.

Comrade Merf
Jun 2, 2011

EdsTeioh posted:

Are you guys using the O&I ships? They look pretty...underwhelming from what I've seen.

Yes, they seem fine to me but these are the first age of sail ships miniatures purpose made for war gaming I've even seen or played with in person. The dudes with Black Seas ships have mentioned that their sculpts are nicer but I do remember there being a scale difference as well.

Edit: Found an image of our last Oak & Iron game.

Comrade Merf fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Aug 26, 2020

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Didn't they also just come out with a fleet-scale game or is that some fever dream I had?

Edit: Victory at Sea, though this seems to be a repackaging of an older preexisting game.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Is there a best entry point into Napoleonics miniatures? Is it just... pick a country, and start buying and painting up regiments for... whatever battle you want to do? Or in y'all's experience do you not care much about historical colorings and stuff, and just say "oh those lot are the 54th Foot"?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

Is there a best entry point into Napoleonics miniatures? Is it just... pick a country, and start buying and painting up regiments for... whatever battle you want to do? Or in y'all's experience do you not care much about historical colorings and stuff, and just say "oh those lot are the 54th Foot"?
Yes.

lovestick
Feb 11, 2006

~30303030303~

I'm having a go at starting some Napoleonics myself right now. As I just want to start things off by painting some big mustaches and shakos - decided on 28mm for scale. Picked out a couple rule sets that looked like they would be fun for skirmish scale (Chosen Men, Sharp Practice) that way I could kind of pick and choose just a few figures that looked fun. Plus the excuse to make some cool objectives, spies, farm animals, or whatever. Grabbed a box of Victrix brits and Perry French to see how their plastic kits are - you get a lot of plastic for your money and are way better than expected. Paint your minis how you want, but if you want to go super historical accurate there's plenty of resources out there to help. Personally I just go with what looks cool and is (probably) accurate enough.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

I’ll do an effort post, but if you are completely new to the period I’d google napoleonic uniforms and see if something appeals to you extra much.

As for hsitoricality, you can go al the way from ”these are kind of generic French” to ”this is the 3rd corps at Wagram, with unit sizes adjusted to pre-battle casualites”.

Oh and ask a ton of questions. There are so many things I had no idea about when I started but learned from other helpful wargamers.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

lilljonas posted:

I’ll do an effort post, but if you are completely new to the period I’d google napoleonic uniforms and see if something appeals to you extra much.

As for hsitoricality, you can go al the way from ”these are kind of generic French” to ”this is the 3rd corps at Wagram, with unit sizes adjusted to pre-battle casualites”.

Oh and ask a ton of questions. There are so many things I had no idea about when I started but learned from other helpful wargamers.

An effort post would be great! I'm familiar with the era, I'm just worried if I start painting up some French unit, and then a guy at my FLGS is like "hey I wanna game out Ligny this weekend" I'd have to be like ah gently caress I don't have X corps that was at Ligny.

It's not like warhams or whatever where a unit is a unit and can cut and paste into any fight. Then again maybe I'm overthinking it :)

I'll probably just get a box of French or British or Austrian or Russian line infantry and start painting what looks cool from my Osprey books. I wonder if there are wargamers out there who have every unit from some nationality painted up, I'm sure there are.

Comrade Merf
Jun 2, 2011

I just recently started Napoleonics myself and decided on Austrians since that's where my family emigrated from way back in the day and am having my partner just pick out which regimental facings I'll be doing by what her favorite colors are. Starting of course with pink! Other armies from the period had more to make their regiments and what not more individualized through their standards and such but really do whatever you want to do. Painting up all the units from a specific battle seems like a fun way to approach things if you want to stay more focused but as far as I'm concerned I am just going to focus on getting a decent mix of units I know I would enjoy painting and finishing more than anything.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

EdsTeioh posted:

I've played one game and have been painting up my ships this last week or so but I can give you my 2cents so far.

The models are very nice, and you can go as simple or complex with them as you'd like. If you just go with bare masts you can assemble and paint a couple ships in an afternoon.

If you want to go full grog it comes with sails, rigging, ratlines, and flags which take quite a bit of effort to put together but look pretty dang cool.

The game I played was two small squadrons, composed of a couple British brigs and frigates against an identical French force. I was on the British team and, as and the French were to leeward we decided to use our superior speed to envelop the French squad. But, we sent up too much canvas and ended up moving past then quicker than we should have, only getting a couple broadsides in before our flank ships had to beat up into the wind to rejoin the battle while the French slugged it out with our Frigates yard-arm to yard-arm. One of the French brigs had its rudder shot away and spun up into the wind where it was trapped under withering fire from a couple of our smaller ships before striking her colors.

Meanwhile, the main battle with the Frigates became a confused mess with a couple ships running afoul of each other and one of our frigates catching fire. Ghoulishly, we all hoped for a magazine explosion as the French ships were so close that they would have been caught in the blast, but alas the ship's crew put out the fire and then promptly struck their colors. In the end, our squadron had one frigate captured, another badly damaged, meanwhile my brig I ended up running aground while trying to evade a pursuing French ship. The French had one brig strike her colors and another flee the field, but had both her frigates intact.

I've never played Cruel Seas so I can't compare it to that, but I will say in my opinion I think it strikes a good middle-ground: capturing the essence of age-of-sail combat without being too fiddly. The weather gage is a huge factor and determines turn sequence as well as how fast you can travel depending on your relation to it. Turning into the eye of the wind can be risky because if your crew doesn't tack successfully you'll end up coming to a dead halt. Raking fire is very effective, especially if you can hit someone in the stern. I had fun, although it was a rather long game since we were trying to figure stuff out as we played and determining turn sequence each round can take a bit.

If you're on the fence I might run a play-by-post game in the next month or so and can try it out and see how you like it.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Class Warcraft posted:

I've played one game and have been painting up my ships this last week or so but I can give you my 2cents so far.

The game I played was two small squadrons, composed of a couple British brigs and frigates against an identical French force. I was on the British team and, as and the French were to leeward we decided to use our superior speed to envelop the French squad. But, we sent up too much canvas and ended up moving past then quicker than we should have, only getting a couple broadsides in before our flank ships had to beat up into the wind to rejoin the battle while the French slugged it out with our Frigates yard-arm to yard-arm. One of the French brigs had its rudder shot away and spun up into the wind where it was trapped under withering fire from a couple of our smaller ships before striking her colors.

Meanwhile, the main battle with the Frigates became a confused mess with a couple ships running afoul of each other and one of our frigates catching fire. Ghoulishly, we all hoped for a magazine explosion as the French ships were so close that they would have been caught in the blast, but alas the ship's crew put out the fire and then promptly struck their colors. In the end, our squadron had one frigate captured, another badly damaged, meanwhile my brig I ended up running aground while trying to evade a pursuing French ship. The French had one brig strike her colors and another flee the field, but had both her frigates intact.

I've never played Cruel Seas so I can't compare it to that, but I will say in my opinion I think it strikes a good middle-ground: capturing the essence of age-of-sail combat without being too fiddly. The weather gage is a huge factor and determines turn sequence as well as how fast you can travel depending on your relation to it. Turning into the eye of the wind can be risky because if your crew doesn't tack successfully you'll end up coming to a dead halt. Raking fire is very effective, especially if you can hit someone in the stern. I had fun, although it was a rather long game since we were trying to figure stuff out as we played and determining turn sequence each round can take a bit.

If you're on the fence I might run a play-by-post game in the next month or so and can try it out and see how you like it.

Dude that sounds rad! I've liked what I've read of Warlord's other games, so I think I'm going to take a chance on this. Your ships look great! How long/fiddly/etc is it to do the rigging? I saw that they have an hour long video up on how to do that...

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

EdsTeioh posted:

Dude that sounds rad! I've liked what I've read of Warlord's other games, so I think I'm going to take a chance on this. Your ships look great! How long/fiddly/etc is it to do the rigging? I saw that they have an hour long video up on how to do that...

For that brig I'd say time breakdown was:

Assembly - 10 mins
Painting - 1 hour
Rigging - 1 hour
Ratlines/sails,flags - 1 hour

The rigging definitely takes steady hands and patience since you have to thread it through tiny little holes in the rail and try not to tangle it up. I'll probably rig the rest eventually, but I have to be in the right headspace to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Geisladisk posted:

And I'm honestly really surprised by how good this book looks. IS-2s and IS-1s are going to be an absolute pain in the rear end for Germans to deal with. They can duke it out with Tigers and Panthers on even footing. AT 17 will go right through them, but the only AT 17 they have right now is Ferdinands, which are only available if they play using Fortress Europe, and PaK 43s, which get turbomurdered by all the cheap mortars Soviets have.

There is a smoke bombardment through the command card, which lasts until the end of turn 2. Combine that with a Spearhead deployment, and I could see enough riflemen getting in close enough to overwhelm an underprepared defender.

Also speaking of the command cards, I think the Decoy Tank card is low-key one of the best things in the entire release. 7 point CT Panthers with Spearhead has the potential to be really nasty and to lock down entire sectors of the board.