Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

kaesarsosei posted:

I've had to grind through the Donskoi twice - once for the original Moskva and once recently for the Netsky. I would say the Donskoi is probably the second best T9 tech-tree cruiser, behind only the Roon.

When I got the Donskoi, people told me it was a piece of poo poo and I should free XP past it. I had a great time in it, and thought it was a much better ship (tier for tier) than the Moskva for instance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
If someone could admit me to the EU [GOON] clan, ingame is Baumii_1. Thanks!

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Someone in here was saying a little bit ago that Mino is just unplayable now. So I hadn't played a lot of it lately but it's one of my favorite boats, so I took it back out a bit over the past week.

I just don't see it. Mino is fantastic at being an absolutely devastating presence on any flank, or really in any sort of counter-posed position to your main fleet. You absolutely just rip into anything on the map - even bow in BBs if you are just far enough away (about 11km+) to angle down on their deck and hit superstructure. 20 torps mean that they just can't rush your smoke if you've positioned well, or if they do they just die. I don't really rate radar Mino that highly now just because the combination of lots of low/no smoke gunboats, and the prevalence of carriers and other radar ships mean that a fair bit of your utility is lost, and honestly I think the ability to smoke up in a GOOD position and farm 70-100k off of the enemy in under a minute is also undervalued by many. I think that many people also panic smoke, or think any time they are detected in Minotaur they had to poo poo their pants immediately and die. It's just not the case - make your early advances with cover very nearby, shoot at early opportunities and immediately turn out and toward your cover. Youll almost always break line of sight, and get a good 30-50k off of advancing cruisers early for often no damage in return. You can harass like this for a while until all radar threats are identified and then you can start picking places to smoke up and farm. I don't consider a smoke successful unless it nets at least 60k in damage, and really I'd prefer more like 80-100k especially for my first couple. You should ideally be crippling ships completely - they will now have to flee and get picked off later. Don't forget how manueverable you are. At 15km there is not a BB in WoWS other than maybe Slava that can peg you undodgably - cutting power and turning in will almost always completely dodge any big stuff sent toward you. Des Moines and Moskvas are almost always stupid and don't realzie they don't overmatch you. Theyll just hammer AP bounces into you while you whittle them down.

Mino is bae, Mino is god, Mino is life.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
At least the Weser can farm cits in co-op games.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

At least the Weser can farm cits in co-op games.

It's unbelievably poo poo in PVP though. Like jesus christ how did this go in the game bad?

E: The Georgia though...

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Aug 24, 2020

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Do people regularly reach rank 1 in the sprint? This is my first attempt and I cannot even get to R4.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I think a lot of us here do rank out regularly especially in Sprints. The biggest advice I can give you (besides picking good ships well suited for the type of battle each sprint offers) is not to try to force it. If you hit a bad patch or start tilting, just take a break.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Der Shovel posted:

I think a lot of us here do rank out regularly especially in Sprints. The biggest advice I can give you (besides picking good ships well suited for the type of battle each sprint offers) is not to try to force it. If you hit a bad patch or start tilting, just take a break.

Is ranked sprint your best option for getting 12 achievements asap?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

wdarkk posted:

It's not a terrible option at least. The Georgia at least gets first bloods and close quarters experts regularly.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

wdarkk posted:

Definitely go secondary bb in ranked sprint. I already got all my summer tokens (and my santa's big box gave me jack poo poo.)

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

kaesarsosei posted:

Do people regularly reach rank 1 in the sprint? This is my first attempt and I cannot even get to R4.

last(?) ranked sprint (T10 arms race) I ranked out with a 100% win rate, it doesn't last nearly long enough

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
God I would love a 3v3 mode to be available all the time.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Stanley Pain posted:

Yeah.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

Stanley Pain posted:

I want 5v5s with no CVs.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
give me 10v10 gunboat DD only pls

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
Ranked sprint has probably the worst players of any game mode, with the possible exception of coop. The people playing sprint, regular ranked, and randoms are about the same, but the matchmaking makes the difference. In regular ranked you're only matched with people close to your rank, and most 45% players don't play thousands of games to reach rank 5, so even at the end of the season when most good players have ranked out or quit the people in the 5-1 bracket are usually better than randoms players. Sprint is kind of the opposite: matchmaking isn't divided by rank and you can't play after reaching rank 1, so the morons play a lot more games than the above average players and you're more likely to see them as a result. The same thing happens in ranked, but it's limited to the lowest bracket.
The good news is that the high density of morons makes it easier to get rank 1, since you can win more than half of your games simply by being better than the morons. But ranked is inherently pretty RNG dependent and it isn't impossible to get unlucky.

In general the best way to deal with ranked (either sprint or regular) is to disregard the star system completely and treat it as randoms with extra rewards.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

TheFluff posted:

last(?) ranked sprint (T10 arms race) I ranked out with a 100% win rate, it doesn't last nearly long enough

Stanley Pain posted:

same and agreed, these modes are so so much fun.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Stanley Pain posted:

I'd probably never play anything else.

Also nothing beats the feeling of keeping a Pommern from being able to use their torps by just blasting them to hell with a full Georgia broadside.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Also nothing beats the feeling of keeping a Pommern from being able to use their torps by just blasting them to hell with a full Georgia broadside.

This has been my experience, and it is magical. I do hope that the 3v3 model sticks around because it has really given certain ships a degree of viability that they otherwise do not have. Plus all BB games have been such a treat.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

It 100% won't. Lesta are allergic to making good decisions.

But yeah, the 3v3 ranked sprint has been a blast.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
The Pommern specifically reminds me of when the Tirpitz came out. There is no other ship with as big a gulf between good and bad players in it. Its unquestionably the best ship for 3v3 but most people don't know how to use it.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

kaesarsosei posted:

Its unquestionably the best ship for 3v3 but most people don't know how to use it.

I seemingly face the latter, and it's always hilarious to see them do the "I'M DOING A TORPEDO RUN" turn at 6 km on the dot, exposing all of their broadside to my Georgia. Even if they survive, I can just dodge their torpedoes and they've already lost.

It's hilariously predictable, and will only stop being hilarious when I run into a good Pommern player who exploits this and dunks on me.

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

Couple of games away from ranking out exclusively playing the Pommern (can't play much these days, sitting at 85% WR in this sprint tho) and every second game i'm still getting people in chat shocked that it has torps. Like, cmon man. I know WoWs players are bad but still...

Echoing 3v3 being very fun. Quick games, spicy shooty combat and on to the next nice and quickly. It would be cool to have it in the main game permanently as 3v3 with divisions only to kinda fix the lack of matchmaking nonsense.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
A few days ago I was playing a DD match and ran into a Kii. "Hey," I told my brother, "the Kii has torpedoes!"

Forty seconds later, after a pitched battle with a British DD, I drove into the Kii's torpedoes and exploded.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Ranked game on hotspot. Georgia, Yugumo and Sov Soyuz against two Georgias and a Jutland. We agree that we'll push in hard and brawl them, and since I'm a secondary specced Georgia, that's fine by me. I contest both caps, dodge the Jutlands torpedoes and take him down. And then I notice that both the Yugumo and the Sov Souyz have stopped and parked south of the cap, where neither of them had a shot on either ship.

I had both of the Georgias fully focused on me for 7-8 minutes and kept pinging and asking my team to flank them. They didn't move an inch. I died, THEN they both rushed in. The Yugumo missed torps from ~1.5 km out and the Souyz rammed himself to death on one of the Georgias. Surprisingly the Yugumo didn't then manage to 1-on-1 a ~70% HP Georgia.

It's remarkable how good most of the teams have been, there's even been a lot of tactics chat and a couple of people added to friends lists, so overall the 3v3 is very fun, but even it can't escape the potatoes.

E: then again on the flipside.

Our only surviving ship after a hard brawl was an Alsace who didn't seem to realize the fight had started. After we'd gone down it was 1-on-1 with the Alsace vs. a half-dead Lion. Easy enough, right? Well, our Alsace just sat broadside on to the Lion, ineffectively shooting AP off his nose.

For some bizarre reason the Lion then decided to ram the Alsace, who I guess had the ramming flag equipped, because the Lion went down and our almost dead Alsace survived with 500 HP. So was that dumb luck, or was the guy's genius plan to bait the Lion into ramming what looked like a potato, only to get surprised?

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Aug 26, 2020

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
A neat thing to remember for 3v3 is that if everyone dies the points leader wins, so if you have more points you might as well ram (if they'll die). I don't know what the points were in your game, but it's possible the Lion could have lost even if the Alsace had died too.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

We had a points lead yeah.

The weirdest one yet: match starts, some guy goes ANOTHER FACKING TEAM, FACK U CUCKS. And then just sits in spawn the entire game spamming Polish obscenities, and then suicided into the enemy.

We ALMOST had them, and would have them if this hero had actually participated in the game. But sadly the enemy Ägir was able to burn me down before I could get him down and they won 3-2.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

kaesarsosei posted:

Well after my griping I went on a good run and actually finished off with a 5 game winning streak in my freshly unlocked Riga. Its good playing a ship that I want to grind through as well because the XP/min is off the charts in these and I didn't even care about losing.

One thing that should be changed is the ramming mechanic/reward though.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I'm on the second to last step of the summer token thing, and I'm at 11/12 achievements.

I got Dreadnought and Fireproof in my last game... and I'm still at 11/12. :confused:

E: getting a First Blood did the trick.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Aug 27, 2020

Sixfools
Aug 27, 2005

You be the Moon,
I'll be the Earth
And when we burst
Start over, oh, darling
I recently started playing and somehow put 50+ hours over the last 3 weeks. I've gone very far down the Japanese CV path and am now only starting to branch out using two ships I got from crates.

Basically my 3 Best ships right now are The Haida VII, The Mainz VIII (using it with AL Roon Cmmdr.) and Shokaku (with the AL Shokaku Cmmdr.)

Any suggestions on where to go shipwise for BS?

I really wish they added more Canadian Tribal Class ships

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Sixfools posted:

I recently started playing and somehow put 50+ hours over the last 3 weeks. I've gone very far down the Japanese CV path and am now only starting to branch out using two ships I got from crates.

Basically my 3 Best ships right now are The Haida VII, The Mainz VIII (using it with AL Roon Cmmdr.) and Shokaku (with the AL Shokaku Cmmdr.)

Haida is a great little brawler and is easily my favourite DD to drive (I am generally bad at DDs).

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Sixfools posted:

If you like the Haida lifestyle, then look at the UK DD's. You get short smokes instead of the creeping smoke, but a lot of utility.
If more Mainz, then either US light cruisers (Dallas, Helena, Cleveland line) or USSR light cruisers.

I just want to say how much I like the Daring. Its like the everything DD.

CitizenKain fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Aug 28, 2020

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I'm only up to the Lightning, but it's a very comfortable destroyer to play. The only real fault is that it has no heal, but then again almost no T8 destroyers have one so can't complain too much.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Real tempted to cash in my -25% Doubloons Coupon for a Premium Ship. Rather than list the Premiums I already have, can a few of you suggest 2-3 premiums you strongly recommend and I'll see what keeps coming up?

Regarding DDs, I played a few games in my Fletcher & Gearing in recent days and despite a lot of sky is falling stuff I read, they are both still really strong ships. The Fletcher torps and reload is fantastic - if those torps had another 1-2km range it would be IMO the best torpedo boat in the game. However the Fletcher as a gunboat has been completely power-creeped and I would not want to face nearly all other T9 DDs in a knife fight now. The Gearing can still hold its own though.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

kaesarsosei posted:

Real tempted to cash in my -25% Doubloons Coupon for a Premium Ship. Rather than list the Premiums I already have, can a few of you suggest 2-3 premiums you strongly recommend and I'll see what keeps coming up?

That depends extremely hard on what you like playing, and what you're good at playing.

- Erich Löwenhardt is extremely good, and is a good candidate for best available carrier right now (tier for tier)
- Massachusetts is one of the best T8 battleships. Great guns, great heal, great AA, great secondaries
- Mainz is a really good T8 light cruiser. Good fire chance, high rate of fire, effective guns. Even better with Günther Lütjens.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

kaesarsosei posted:

Regarding DDs, I played a few games in my Fletcher & Gearing in recent days and despite a lot of sky is falling stuff I read, they are both still really strong ships. The Fletcher torps and reload is fantastic - if those torps had another 1-2km range it would be IMO the best torpedo boat in the game. However the Fletcher as a gunboat has been completely power-creeped and I would not want to face nearly all other T9 DDs in a knife fight now. The Gearing can still hold its own though.

Massachusetts is probably the most possible fun per money spent. Bayard is a really good choice as well. Very strong T8 cruiser- Cleveland style 12x 152mm guns, hydro, speed boost and main battery reload booster to REALLY poo poo on someone and turbo light fires as soon as they burn their repair. Unlike Cleveland it also has torps to discourage a BB from rushing your or to let you yolo speed boost someone to death.

Shivers
Oct 31, 2011

kaesarsosei posted:

Massachusetts is number one, the only ship in the game that's actually worth what WG is asking for it. Will probably require a unique captain though since it requires a secondary specced or hybrid build to get the most out of. Quick reloading heal, great secondaries, top tier torp belt and great American AP on your main guns.

T-61 is a very, very good DD for it's tier. You have quick reloading torps and alot of good tools with Smoke+Hydro to deal with enemies. Always a top tier choice when T6 Ranked rolls around.

Atlanta is probably not as good as it used to be, but I still love it. It's hard to play, but it will teach you good island-camping cruiser play like to other ship. It's unique high shell arcs might be frustrating at first, but they allow you to do the most fun thing in this game: shooting people without them being able to shoot you back. It has Radar, which allows you to deal with DD's really well and torps to deal with people rushing you.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

Shivers posted:

Atlanta is probably not as good as it used to be, but I still love it. It's hard to play, but it will teach you good island-camping cruiser play like to other ship. It's unique high shell arcs might be frustrating at first, but they allow you to do the most fun thing in this game: shooting people without them being able to shoot you back. It has Radar, which allows you to deal with DD's really well and torps to deal with people rushing you.

Atlanta is definitely down from its peak, but it's still an extremely fun ship. There are few things quite as grand as holding down left mouse butt and just making a rainbow to connect you and a BB on the other side of an island.

If you're looking for something more competitive, Boise is the "better" Atlanta. The heal at T7 really lets you come back from some damage that other cruisers couldn't come back from, and you still have wicked guns.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Ranked out tonight with 6 straight victories in the Benham by hoisting my teams on my shoulders and carrying them to glory. One match only had a single kill, but three of them had 2 kills and two of em had 3. People do not seem to realise that there's no real safe time while torpedoes reload, it's a never ending wave.

Any opinions on the Marceau? I think I'll get it or the Pommern next, the only other choices for me are Yoshino and Salem which don't really appeal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Yesterday I played a ranked sprint game with WARBEASTY. I asked if he was the real WARBEASTY and he shot me (he was on my team) instead of answering. He didn't say "hurt u" once (or anything else). We still won even though he sailed around randomly in our spawn because we had me and a Musashi doing work, and he did actually fire at the enemy so they couldn't just ignore him.