Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Is this your first job like this or do you have others?

All things being equal, if you don't have anything else like it on your resume 2 years is usually where I say "This guy has experience on this". Less than that I always think there is a chance they washed out, though every situation is different. I would be a little concerned about someone who was somewhere for 6 months moaning about lack of promotion opportunities though, again if you were new in this role.

If you have other experience that is similar or a natural progression, then disregard. "I took this job and realized it was dead-end" is totally normal for someone with otherwise good experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

Lockback posted:

All things being equal, if you don't have anything else like it on your resume 2 years is usually where I say "This guy has experience on this". Less than that I always think there is a chance they washed out, though every situation is different. I would be a little concerned about someone who was somewhere for 6 months moaning about lack of promotion opportunities though, again if you were new in this role.

If you have other experience that is similar or a natural progression, then disregard. "I took this job and realized it was dead-end" is totally normal for someone with otherwise good experience.

Yes. Before I was more technical as a senior systems engineer in the defense world doing hardware/software analysis and requirements verification.

Thanks for your advice. I'm not looking to leave right now, just looking down the line. I'm going to stay at least one more year in this role out of loyalty to my current boss that's got about a year left before rotating (he is military and has set rotations). I'm one of those people that like to plan ahead. I could potentially promote in the next 5 years but the next position is where most people retire out of because it's basically the cap in the GS schedule unless you get selected into government senior executive service.

I've been doing nothing defense since undergrad and I'm just not as interested in it long term. Like I said before I also want the chance to eventually make more than 150k, which is where government work caps out at. But it seems like getting at least two years on the books with my current position would be good.

Howard Phillips fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Aug 24, 2020

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

10 days ago I got a good offer from company A. I told them I had more interviews and planned on making a decision this week.

last Monday I interviewed with company B, they told me 3 days ago they hadn't made a decision yet.

last Thursday I had a second round with company C, who informed me Friday that I passed and want to do a final round, a week from tomorrow.

All other things being equal my preference is C then A then B.

What's the right message to send to A to tell them that I need at least 7-10 days more to make a decision to allow getting through C's final interview and time for them to come up with an offer?

I'm not taking any additional interviews in the meantime.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

You should tell A & C you have an offer in hand but are more interested in seeing if you're a fit there and ask them to move faster, if you haven't.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

ketchup vs catsup posted:

10 days ago I got a good offer from company A. I told them I had more interviews and planned on making a decision this week.

last Monday I interviewed with company B, they told me 3 days ago they hadn't made a decision yet.

last Thursday I had a second round with company C, who informed me Friday that I passed and want to do a final round, a week from tomorrow.

All other things being equal my preference is C then A then B.

What's the right message to send to A to tell them that I need at least 7-10 days more to make a decision to allow getting through C's final interview and time for them to come up with an offer?

I'm not taking any additional interviews in the meantime.

You could tell C that you have an offer waiting and need to speed things up.

You could tell A that a family member came down with COVID and that you need a week or so to help out with that situation before you can provide them an answer.

Or you could ask A what their timeline is and if they could hold open for another week.

I'd probably go a little option 1 and a little option 2.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I should have added that I told C I had an offer in hand and a week from tomorrow was the earliest they could schedule a final round.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Howard Phillips posted:

Yes. Before I was more technical as a senior systems engineer in the defense world doing hardware/software analysis and requirements verification.

Thanks for your advice. I'm not looking to leave right now, just looking down the line. I'm going to stay at least one more year in this role out of loyalty to my current boss that's got about a year left before rotating (he is military and has set rotations). I'm one of those people that like to plan ahead. I could potentially promote in the next 5 years but the next position is where most people retire out of because it's basically the cap in the GS schedule unless you get selected into government senior executive service.

I've been doing nothing defense since undergrad and I'm just not as interested in it long term. Like I said before I also want the chance to eventually make more than 150k, which is where government work caps out at. But it seems like getting at least two years on the books with my current position would be good.

If you have that kind of resume then I wouldn't worry too much about getting time under you if you found a job you liked. I would start looking now and maybe only apply to places that really appeal to you for the time being. One short-timer on a resume is never really a big concern, especially because you've been under government for so long so your story here is a good one. My advice would be to start dipping your toe in now, even if you want to do it part time.

I also wouldn't stay at a job over loyalty to a boss, even a good one. I like to think I'm a good boss and I'd much rather see one of my employees leave for a good reason (like you have) than to stay out of loyalty.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Any good indirect questions that answer "Is your company going to exist when covid is over"?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

When you're interviewing it's fair to ask about short-term existential threats to the company. I'd ask that, but phrased a little less bluntly.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

huhu posted:

Any good indirect questions that answer "Is your company going to exist when covid is over"?

"How has this company weathered the storm, and what do financials look like in the past quarter?"

I would expect an honest or even knowledable answer to this question about 10% of the time.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

If you're final round, it's valid to ask the hiring manager, "how much financial runway does the company have?". Also figure out if you're a back-fill (on going expense) or new position hire (expanded budget). If you're in the startup ecosystem generally you can find out when they got their last round of funding, and reasonably guestimate that the company has 12-24 months of runway from that date. You're certainly not the only person they're interviewing that's asking these kinds of questions right now.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
If you're at the stage of talking about money and they have any issue at all with telling you how much runway they have that's a pretty big red flag.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Plorkyeran posted:

If you're at the stage of talking about money and they have any issue at all with telling you how much runway they have that's a pretty big red flag.

In my experience, startup companies that are confident about this will often just straight up tell you, once you get past the first screening interview, "we have 24 months of runway and we're planning X and Y to extend that" (in high level terms) as a selling point for the job. Even if they don't specifically tell you, it should be easy to get the PR-speak version from whoever your contact is at the company. If anybody on the hiring side is hesitant about giving you that much, I'd take it as a huge red flag.

For COVID specifically, I'd personally be wary of companies that were only created after this all started. See, for example, the many tele-education startups that are going to mostly evaporate the moment it's safe to put kids in school again.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Aug 26, 2020

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Plorkyeran posted:

Line-level or even mid-level managers may not know this. At medium/medium-large companies I think people generally overestimate how much financial information is shared at that level.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Lockback posted:

Line-level or even mid-level managers may not know this. At medium/medium-large companies I think people generally overestimate how much financial information is shared at that level.

Weren't we talking about a startup? Any line or mid level at a startup should be intimately familiar with that number.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Hughlander posted:

Weren't we talking about a startup? Any line or mid level at a startup should be intimately familiar with that number.

Original question didn't specify and its something that is a real risk for non-startups too. I think it's smart to ask about that kind of stuff, but for non-startups you might get a shakey answer because the people you're talking to might legit not really have a good grasp on it.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
non startup means they have significant access to debt financing and other shenanigans which makes the calculation a lot more complicated, also

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
My employer of 3.5 years decided that two-pizza team "Tech Leads" will also be managers now, and manage all of their team members. We paired this change with hiring an enormous amount of fresh college grads, so now every two-pizza team is one senior engineer who is managing 4 fresh college grads, while also expected to deliver robust, reliable software quickly. In general this has turned into the lead developing with one or more people watching via Zoom, and also trying to juggle managing all these peoples' careers. Before this, there were more single-purpose managers doing matrix management, and managing people who were scattered across different teams. Tech leads were more about working with product to agree on what and how we're building product, and being the most senior engineer on a team.

There were no pay increases when this change happened. Do I have anything to gain by telling the director I report to that accepting more responsibility and influence and starting to manage multiple people without any raise is demoralizing? Or do I just keep quiet until I have an offer in hand from another place?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
actual promotions only exist at about a third of all tech companies, it looks that they proved that they are in the two thirds

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Vote with your feet.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

That's what I thought. It's been almost a year since this big change and reorg. I had a baby in the last year too, so I've been absolutely run ragged and not in good shape to interview, but I'm finally starting to regain enough executive function to be job hunting.

My two pizza team maintains multiple native apps in Swift, Kotlin, has web stuff in Typescript, has multiple backends in Python, Scala, Node, and Kotlin. Now I just have to figure out which of this crap will look best on a resume for Amazon.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Twerk from Home posted:

two-pizza team

What does this mean? I have never heard this expression before.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

What does this mean? I have never heard this expression before.

We exclusively work in teams small enough to be fed by two pizzas, that develop lovely microservices and microfrontends that get iframed into each other. Each team is fully empowered to work however the gently caress they want, using whatever tooling and tech stack they want.

Open up that freedom to multi-cloud and we've got Google Cloud stuff duct taped to AWS bridged to Azure. Some teams are all JS, some are Python, some are doing Go. Some use Jenkins to deploy, some use Github Actions, some use AWS Codebuild.

Edit: As I hear it, this is how all technically ambitious companies are operating now. I hate it.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
its an amazon dealio, to deal with their vast org

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Lol what. Why would you build a stack like that

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
"Stacks" are obsolete. The FAANGs have replaced all stacks with heaps

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Twerk from Home posted:

develop lovely microservices and microfrontends that get iframed into each other. Each team is fully empowered to work however the gently caress they want, using whatever tooling and tech stack they want.

Open up that freedom to multi-cloud and we've got Google Cloud stuff duct taped to AWS bridged to Azure. Some teams are all JS, some are Python, some are doing Go. Some use Jenkins to deploy, some use Github Actions, some use AWS Codebuild.

I worked at a place like this, modeled heavily after Amazon's internal practices (and a lot of ex-'zon folks, go figure), and it was a huge tire fire. Nothing made any sense, data fragmented all the hell over the place in every different database you've ever heard of, microservice dependency hell, no infra consistency at all, one developer leaving means a bunch of poo poo gets abandoned, the list goes on and on.

Pair that with a coerced "promotion" into management without any input or actual promotion... gtfo yesterday.

It's one thing (a good thing) to be a mentor as a tech lead, but to be an actual manager with folks officially reporting to you is not the same thing at all. Totally different job, different skillset, different responsibilities and expectations. gently caress that noise.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Aug 27, 2020

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Twerk from Home posted:

We exclusively work in teams small enough to be fed by two pizzas

Dang how do you get by with only one person on a team

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
just become more fat so you can have fewer peeps on the team

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

bob dobbs is dead posted:

its an amazon dealio, to deal with their vast org

I learned the term 10 years ago from...ex-amazon people, so this checks out

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Twerk from Home posted:

In general this has turned into the lead developing with one or more people watching via Zoom

This sounds like one of the worst ways to learn anything even assuming that the people watching actually want to learn and aren't just loving around while this happens.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It might actually be good if the juniors code while the lead watches and guides

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Twerk from Home posted:

We exclusively work in teams small enough to be fed by two pizzas, that develop lovely microservices and microfrontends that get iframed into each other. Each team is fully empowered to work however the gently caress they want, using whatever tooling and tech stack they want.

Edit: As I hear it, this is how all technically ambitious companies are operating now. I hate it.

What is the projected lifespan of these internal applications, like 90 days holy poo poo, that sounds like a maintenance nightmare

Also, lol, iframes;

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Hadlock posted:

What is the projected lifespan of these internal applications, like 90 days holy poo poo, that sounds like a maintenance nightmare

Also, lol, iframes;

Most of them are internal-only, so we can do stuff like only support a Chrome version in the mid 70s because somebody used AngularDart 1.x and never upgraded it, actually.

Fun fact, I discovered that another app runs as an iframe inside of a React app inside of an iframe inside of said AngularDart app, so you have to wait for 3 heavyweight SPA frameworks to load before the app does first paint.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
I feel like we went past this, but exactly how many people is a "two-pizza team" intended to be and in future can we just say that number?

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
assuming a standard 8-slice pizza, a two-pizza team is somewhere between 1 and 32 people

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

You fools, it's not about slices! It's about volume

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
When your headcount's too high
Like a big pizza pie
That's Amazon

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps