Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

idk, they are probably right that the market for premium phones is plenty saturated, and making a cheap phone and doubling down on squeezing every last user data dollar out of people is the play.

which is more depressing than comedy. though i might be more of a wet blanket for this thread than is helpful at this rate :q

the comedy is that google spent billions building a hardware organization believing they could take a chunk of the premium phone market. that plan seems to have failed. since midrange phones have no margins, and goog doesn’t seem able to sell at volume, they now have a huge money pit on their hands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I have a Pixel 3a that is about a year old and it's very needs suiting, OP.

I also have a Pixel 2 that someone gave me and it has a self reported battery life of one week. These seem to be good phones for decent people.

I'd give them to my parents except that I'd never give them an Android phone because I despise phone janitoring and I barely have to touch their iPhones except when I have to replace them.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

starbucks hermit posted:

I have a Pixel

I despise phone janitoring
:confused:

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
i used to have a pixel 2 and one day when i turned it on it got stuck in the bootloader and even the guys in the pixel repair store couldn't fix it

anroid

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

phone janitoring other phones

it's ok if I just have to janitor my own

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
place your bets, which one fails first the graphite or the copper?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

using a goddamned phase-change cooler on my goddamned cellular telephone to prevent it from melting down in my pocket

great work, guys

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

in quebec instead of april fool's you have "poisson d'avril," april fish, and the goal is to surprise people with a paper cutout or small toy of a fish. that's the entire prank. your mom gives you a bowl of cereal and there's a plastic fish in it. you go to work and your mouse isn't working and you flip it over and there's a paper fish on the sensor. someone tapes a fish to your back and you walk around like that all day. it is possibly the best prank humans have ever invented.

Jesus, Canada is so loving stupid.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

using a goddamned phase-change cooler on my goddamned cellular telephone to prevent it from melting down in my pocket

great work, guys

a company that got its flagship phone globally blacklisted for catching on fire is probably going to have a hangover for a while.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

???

!!!

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POxMp61Ksbk

Apr 7, 2003

lol that's going to break within a month.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

they'll have two new phones to write thousands of words about by then
or they'll have taken it apart to ensure they got whatever the 'good' cooling system is and returned the other 9

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i doubt it, pulling out the 90s flip phone hinge stock, and that was pretty well figured out with way more openings/closings that that thing'll see.

looks goofy as hell though.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

doesn't matter, it's different from samsung/apple and won't break while writing the review, verge score 9.0

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
gee billy, how come your phone has TWO screens?

https://youtu.be/FIq2H3KkxQk

it’s stupid as hell but probably would be better than foldy screens rn

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Lol

Apr 7, 2003

Love to cover 1/4th of my tiny windshield with garbage shitphones

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Agile Vector posted:

after the 7 i dont think i cared or noticed anymore, and even that was a stretch from the 6. then again, ios hasnt needed dairy performance overhauls for the ui so maybe thats part of the reason

gonna milk this joke for all it’s worth

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

El_Elegante posted:

gonna milk this joke for all it’s worth

okay okay let's put this thing out to pasture

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

carry on then posted:

okay okay let's put this thing out to pasture

not much else to steer the conversation though

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

new firefox android is out and websites look a bit off now

also, there is still no bookmark export, and about:config does not work. The best thing about old firefox for android was no pocket integration and now that's gone too.

But I guess you can't make an omelette without breaking some eggs.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
oh god let's not turn this into a tortured reddit-esque pun run

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

safari on iOS works great, op

when I type a url it goes there

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

It just kept getting worse and sad and then the tension broke when i saw the ui for the cooling software and i had a good hearty guffaw

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
*cocks my phone like a shotgun as i prepare for my pubg match*
heh, looks like you brought a exynos to a gaming fight

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
You can tweak all those HARDCORE TUNING settings for hours or you could buy an iPhone 11 and get double the performance.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Last Chance posted:

It just kept getting worse and sad and then the tension broke when i saw the ui for the cooling software and i had a good hearty guffaw

i love visual storytelling through review screenshots

Apr 7, 2003

Last Chance posted:

It just kept getting worse and sad

Phone posting with a glossy screen. Smh

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

ratbert90 posted:

You can tweak all those HARDCORE TUNING settings for hours or you could buy an iPhone 11 and get double the performance.

the iphones (all of them) clobber it in the gaming benchmarks too. all that ridiculous bullshit and it's not even remotely competitive

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

infernal machines posted:

all that ridiculous bullshit and it's not even remotely competitive

Please do not doxx my resume.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

the iphones (all of them) clobber it in the gaming benchmarks too. all that ridiculous bullshit and it's not even remotely competitive
yeah but you can't even edit sched_downmigrate on a crapple ibad lmao

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

What happens if you stick a cable in the forbidden port? :ohdear:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Clark Nova posted:

Don’t kinkshame

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Clark Nova posted:

i can't imagine it's any worse than normal operation

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

the iPhone X is almost 3 years old and is destroying every android. I was told in this very thread that android chips are competitive now.

Apr 7, 2003

The Management posted:

the iPhone X is almost 3 years old and is destroying every android. I was told in this very thread that android chips are competitive now.

I'm still using my iPhone X because it's as fast as I need and it's completely pristine despite being my EDC (every day carry).

Just a phone for the ages.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

my iPhone 7 Plus is still fine and it’s, what, 4 years old now? got a new battery in it earlier this year and it’s still working gr8. will probably be getting updates for a good while yet too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

The Management posted:

well you see, in multicore specific synthetic benchmarks an 865+ almost matches a year and a half old A13 while only losing 50% of battery life over the A13 and therefor it’s competitive!!!