Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Spent the past week binging french house and I say forget the haters, overdriven resonant filters with lots of animation still make my ears very happy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Brothers and sisters, I have absolutely NO inspiration. My brain is a dead space. This sucks.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
You should let me borrow your gear until your inspiration returns, so I'm distracted enough to not buy another (computer) keyboard.
I'm kidding. I've already got several items I'm already not using.

Try just making noise.
Try listening to music you don't normally listen to, the simpler the better. Or hell, just pick a tempo and put a 4/4 beat over it then start layering beeps and boops as you see fit.
Go watch some other producers make music, or just talk about making music.
Or not being able to make music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fq9Hlp5f5Xo

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

thank you, after days of mucking about ive been shamed into hitting record

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I have some singing bowls coming this week :)

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Cool, I've been listening to singing bowls on my way to work for a couple weeks now. The rest of my CDs are still in transit.

I've got some stuff to put up. Eventually, like.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

a mysterious cloak posted:

Brothers and sisters, I have absolutely NO inspiration. My brain is a dead space. This sucks.

Though it can be great to push through that, what I do when I’m really stuck is take myself out of music making for a bit. Create in other ways, not even “arty” ways. Just stay actively creative. Sure you could do some drawing or photography but you could also rearrange something real nice, cook a new meal, clean a desk, repot a plant etc. Just keep yourself active and interacting with things and thinking. Rhythm and music are in you all the time but sometimes it’s key to step away and let everything settle in until you’re back in the flow of things. When I take that approach 100% of the time everything will fall back into place right when it needs to. Beating yourself up won’t get you there any faster so take it easy and the jams will be siiiiick when you really need ‘em.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

uh I guess there’s a MicroFreak with a vocoder coming soon?

https://www.streetwisesales.com/product/microfreak-vocoder/

Someone just casually posted theirs on reddit.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Kilometers Davis posted:

uh I guess there’s a MicroFreak with a vocoder coming soon?

https://www.streetwisesales.com/product/microfreak-vocoder/

Someone just casually posted theirs on reddit.

Yeah Loopop just posted an overview vid of it. I'm glad I waited on getting a MicroFreak, assuming it sounds good this is right up my alley.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
It looks like the older Microfreaks can vocode, too, since they were built with TRRS headphone jacks and just didn't do anything with the mic input until now.

Haven't seen that trick since the monotribe.

E: That trick being to leave extra connections in a minijack for firmware updates to use later.

So Math fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Aug 26, 2020

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

So Math posted:

It looks like the older Microfreaks can vocode, too, since they were built with TRRS headphone jacks and just didn't do anything with the mic input until now.

Haven't seen that trick since the monotribe.

Yup, it appears to be a free firmware update.

There doesn’t seem to be anything different about this version vs the original except the color and inclusion of a gooseneck mic, right?

According to the comments in the Loopop vid Guitar Center was blowing them out for $150 last month :negative:

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

EBB posted:

Spent the past week binging french house and I say forget the haters, overdriven resonant filters with lots of animation still make my ears very happy

Yep, dub techgnno never gets old either. Filter tweaking stabs into huge delays just excites me on a primal level.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Ok Comboomer posted:

According to the comments in the Loopop vid Guitar Center was blowing them out for $150 last month :negative:

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

You should let me borrow your gear until your inspiration returns, so I'm distracted enough to not buy another (computer) keyboard.
I'm kidding. I've already got several items I'm already not using.

Try just making noise.
Try listening to music you don't normally listen to, the simpler the better. Or hell, just pick a tempo and put a 4/4 beat over it then start layering beeps and boops as you see fit.
Go watch some other producers make music, or just talk about making music.
Or not being able to make music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fq9Hlp5f5Xo

Kilometers Davis posted:

Though it can be great to push through that, what I do when I’m really stuck is take myself out of music making for a bit. Create in other ways, not even “arty” ways. Just stay actively creative. Sure you could do some drawing or photography but you could also rearrange something real nice, cook a new meal, clean a desk, repot a plant etc. Just keep yourself active and interacting with things and thinking. Rhythm and music are in you all the time but sometimes it’s key to step away and let everything settle in until you’re back in the flow of things. When I take that approach 100% of the time everything will fall back into place right when it needs to. Beating yourself up won’t get you there any faster so take it easy and the jams will be siiiiick when you really need ‘em.

Thanks... I finally just sat down, started a blank track, started farting with non-fart sounds, found a nice drone that kept me busy for an hour or so. Mashed record, feel better!

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Broke down and ordered a yellow TD-3. Any of you folks who own one tweak the VCF offset? Any trip reports?

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Oldstench posted:

Broke down and ordered a yellow TD-3. Any of you folks who own one tweak the VCF offset? Any trip reports?

Nah I haven’t, it’s probably not necessary unless you really want a more subdued 303. The TD-3 is on the ‘screamer’ end of original 303 variance but there isn’t necessarily anything wrong with that and you can always just, turn down the cutoff or envelope knob.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Well this is very apropos

Filter mod is the first thing on my list, because I like that filter to go deeeeep..

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011

Oldstench posted:

I messed with it but didnt use a scope to really track any change. The shift isnt very dramatic on a clean signal so i just left it a bit off whatever the default is.

Ive seen people adding ext mod inputs to them so that might be next on my list with messing with the guts

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

The only mod I'd really want to be honest is an accent trigger out. Just being able to trigger some stuff on my modular whenever I have an accent would be nice.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
My roommates and I would record to tape and just scream over static from lose wires, short wave radios, etc through reverb. I think we used a miniKorg at one point and sounded like poo poo. We were trying to be the next Wolfeyes or Whitehouse :wrigglelikeafuckingeel:

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.
So, does anyone here have more than one of those Roland Boutique deals? I would legit like to have every one of them SO BAD (I am experiencing severe plugin burn-out), but I cannot envision any workable physical setup. I do not have any space for desktop modules, and while I have seen rack solutions for the Boutiques, it is an incredible waste of space (they're wider than a half-rack, and the location of their connectors mean you lose at least one rack space for wires).

Also... 1/8" headphone jacks are the worst possible audio connector for a studio setup. I thought I'd never have to use a Y-splitter again. (Do they make mixers with multiple 1/8" inputs?)

Just curious how Boutique users have integrated them into their rigs. I will never not love the Roland sound, and I don't care if/whether the Boutiques are true analog or whatever. But as much as I want these things, I can't picture how I would be able to arrange/connect more than one or two total in my current space. Very open to ideas here.

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

Spreading the Nite Crew cancer one volunteer shift at a time.

here are stands for roland boutique:

https://kvgear.com/t/boutique-stuff

re: connectors, i think you just gotta :dealwithit:

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Radiapathy posted:

Also... 1/8" headphone jacks are the worst possible audio connector for a studio setup. I thought I'd never have to use a Y-splitter again. (Do they make mixers with multiple 1/8" inputs?)

Volca Mix :D

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

This is more of an out loud gripe than a call for ideas since I've troubleshot this to hell and back, but I wanted to say that the Befaco MIDI thing is still driving me nuts. In percussion mode it should fire triggers based off a set of 8 MIDI notes which are coded into firmware:

I've built two of them and for whatever reason the units will not read MIDI note 36 in percussion mode no matter what, which means I lose a trigger pad. Sniffing the MIDI monitor shows the message being sent but no trigger. I've stopped just short of compiling my own firmware because :effort: but it annoys me enough to maybe give it a go this weekend. I'm curious why they skipped a return case on the switch statement- it almost looks like the programmer started the index at 0, got distracted, then came back thinking the index started at 1. Or they dumped a case.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Why do they return -1 there instead of using default

Why is there no return 4

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Radiapathy posted:

So, does anyone here have more than one of those Roland Boutique deals? I would legit like to have every one of them SO BAD (I am experiencing severe plugin burn-out), but I cannot envision any workable physical setup. I do not have any space for desktop modules, and while I have seen rack solutions for the Boutiques, it is an incredible waste of space (they're wider than a half-rack, and the location of their connectors mean you lose at least one rack space for wires).

Just curious how Boutique users have integrated them into their rigs. I will never not love the Roland sound, and I don't care if/whether the Boutiques are true analog or whatever. But as much as I want these things, I can't picture how I would be able to arrange/connect more than one or two total in my current space. Very open to ideas here.

I own two of them (TR08 + TR09) and I used to have a SH01A and sold it.

If you want any of the Boutiques that also have analogue Behringer clones, I would heartily recommend getting the Behringer ones instead, tbh.

Maybe the TR8S if what you want is a drum machine + more.

I sincerely wish Roland had made the Boutiques as normal rectangular boxes instead of the incredibly, incredibly dumb plastic kickstand bullshit they did.

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011
just smashed in the tr707 expansion board so now the old cheese box is a bit more cheesy and according to the serial number date code it just turned 35 y/o :toot:

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

I like the kickstands hehe

The TR8S is a great drum machine. They added fm synth to it now too.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

That does look cool. After posting I also found this lil mixer with four 3.5mm inputs (and one bluetooth input, lol?). Gotta do a feature compare here, but something like these might work for me.

Pillow Face posted:

here are stands for roland boutique:

https://kvgear.com/t/boutique-stuff
Honestly I was half-hoping there wasn't any good option so I could scratch the Boutiques off my wish list. gently caress.

EDIT:

Ok Comboomer posted:

If you want any of the Boutiques that also have analogue Behringer clones, I would heartily recommend getting the Behringer ones instead, tbh.

Maybe the TR8S if what you want is a drum machine + more.
Didn't even know about the Behringer clones. Goddamit.

Radiapathy fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Aug 27, 2020

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Breathe bro breathe

You can buy all of them

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
I have a Maker Hart LOOP mixer in my volca briefcase, which I would recommend over the JUST mixer. It has pan and gain control and some kind of proprietary expansion port whose cables I don't think ever got manufactured..

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

So Math posted:

I have a Maker Hart LOOP mixer in my volca briefcase, which I would recommend over the JUST mixer. It has pan and gain control and some kind of proprietary expansion port whose cables I don't think ever got manufactured..

That extra port appears to be for linking multiple LOOPs together, which might come in handy if I end up going whole-hog on this. The mixer doesn't include the cable but they are listed for purchase here. Thanks for the tip- didn't see the LOOP mixer, which is even a lil cheaper, at least on AMZN.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Clavavisage posted:

just smashed in the tr707 expansion board so now the old cheese box is a bit more cheesy and according to the serial number date code it just turned 35 y/o :toot:

TR-707 is all over Ceephax Acid Crew, Chris Moss Acid, hell even Aphex Twin records, I would hardly call it cheesy.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
Velocity makes the 707 sound much less cheesy. It's a little limited with the original hardware because if you have two drum sounds with different velocities programmed at the same time (one lower and one higher) it will play both at the higher setting for both so it can be a little tricky you can get a sound playing way louder than you want when you actually have it set to a lower velocity. I think it just changes the entire velocity of the machine to whatever is the highest. If I never used the MC-500 to program the 707 I would like it a lot, lot less. You can really make it more expressive and dynamic. Accent works okay but velocity gives you much more control.

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

Spreading the Nite Crew cancer one volunteer shift at a time.

testing a workflow, which turned out to be kind of tedious with a buzzy signal with a buzzy mixer, oh well:

https://soundcloud.com/yjk-art/analog-research-016-buzzkola

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Just got the td-3 all hooked up and did the filter cutoff offset tweak and oh man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnKIozBJ_0I

I don't understand why accent is still such a rare thing in sequencers.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Didn’t see a post on this but I also didn’t look very hard. Teenage Engineering is teasing a new “magic apparatus.”. Probably not a synth but who knows.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
$60 dollar t-shirt

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice

Stan Taylor posted:

Didn’t see a post on this but I also didn’t look very hard. Teenage Engineering is teasing a new “magic apparatus.”. Probably not a synth but who knows.

"one thing we can reveal is that it is great for the outdoors."

It's a teeny parasol for your OP1, it will cost $300

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
It's a usb bottle opener