Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

I dunno, it was what it was. It relied far too heavily on the walk and brawl but even saying that I'd argue it is too strong to say they were 100% right. They had a point to some extent but god I'd sooner watch a random episode of Hardcore TV than about any other weekly TV show in the last 30 years of US wrestling.

Was Sabu a perfect wrestler? Nah. Does he stand up next to modern high flyers? Clearly not but if you take him in the context of the time he was revolutionary and the botches and such was entirely a part of the appeal, he was so loving wild and uncontrollable.

ECW radically changed TV wrestling in the US by making it cool which you cannot overstate considering how chronically uncool WWE is these days. The presentation side of things is really where they had the most impact.

I'd say Sabu is a great case of Heyman being a competent booker, because he made the botchy, uncontrollable nature of his work part of the gimmick. As cringey as the whole 'homicidal, suicidal, GENOCIDAL' tagline is now, it does sell that Sabu's so wild he doesn't care what happens as long as someone gets hurt when he does a dive.

It's also notable that for the most part the matches people remember in ECW are fairly tame by deathmatch/hardcore standards. The RVD/Lynn series, Tajiri/Super Crazy or Eddie vs Malenko are all pretty much straight wrestling matches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

The matches that jumped overboard into the land of being Really Gross usually involved New Jack

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Gaz-L posted:

I'd say Sabu is a great case of Heyman being a competent booker, because he made the botchy, uncontrollable nature of his work part of the gimmick. As cringey as the whole 'homicidal, suicidal, GENOCIDAL' tagline is now, it does sell that Sabu's so wild he doesn't care what happens as long as someone gets hurt when he does a dive.

It's also notable that for the most part the matches people remember in ECW are fairly tame by deathmatch/hardcore standards. The RVD/Lynn series, Tajiri/Super Crazy or Eddie vs Malenko are all pretty much straight wrestling matches.

The trick with ECW wasn't to have gore and chaos all over the place, but to have just enough that you THINK gore and chaos are all over the place.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
As has been pointed out by others, ECW stole a lot of the way they presented themselves from Memphis/Florida and FMW.

The old school folks who bitched about how they did things either had short memories, never watched it and only heard about broad statements that painted it as blood n' guts, or suck at comprehension.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I watch a lot of UpUpDownDown, (especially the Uno stuff they are doing now), and I really love the dynamic of friends messing around having fun hanging out and playing with friends.

What are your favourite pairs/groups of wrestlers from now or from long ago who were good friends in real life, and why?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

BrigadierSensible posted:

I watch a lot of UpUpDownDown, (especially the Uno stuff they are doing now), and I really love the dynamic of friends messing around having fun hanging out and playing with friends.

What are your favourite pairs/groups of wrestlers from now or from long ago who were good friends in real life, and why?

There's this clip from a documentary about WM19 where Rock beats Austin in Austin's final match and they share some words after the pin. An interviewers asks Rock about it, but he just says, "None of your business." Cut to Austin, who's frank about it and says that Rock was thanking him for all he's done and the two shared an "I love you, man" moment.

Considering how Hogan proceeded to alienate his colleagues and Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels were always at war with each other, I always liked that the two top guys from the Attitude Era had a genuine admiration and mutual respect for each other.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Did either of them have huge egos anyway? Austin refused to work with Jarrett since he had been an rear end in a top hat to Austin previously, and didn't want to lose to Lesnar on free tv instead of a PPV.

Rock seemed willing to put most people over and off the top of my head I can't remember any drama. The time he beat Mick senseless with a chair was bad but I'm pretty sure that's both their fault.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Iirc the rock refused to put over Shawn michaels because he was rude to rock's grandma

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

There's the infamous Austin walking out due to his refusal to do a job for Lesnar who was (literally) The Next Big Thing.

Steve apparently regrets all of this.

Rock meanwhile put over Lesnar at SummerSlam and I've always wondered about why the crowd turned on Rock there since he wasn't heel Hollywood Rock yet.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Smoking Crow posted:

Iirc the rock refused to put over Shawn michaels because he was rude to rock's grandma

Even if this was true I don't think the timing ever worked out for them to have a real program anyway. Shawn was gone for Rock's entire run on top, and by the time he came back Rock already had one foot out of the company.

NikkolasKing posted:

There's the infamous Austin walking out due to his refusal to do a job for Lesnar who was (literally) The Next Big Thing.

Steve apparently regrets all of this.

Rock meanwhile put over Lesnar at SummerSlam and I've always wondered about why the crowd turned on Rock there since he wasn't heel Hollywood Rock yet.

Austin's real issue was that Vince wanted to give away the match on free TV instead of drawing money with a PPV build, doing the job was never a problem. He was already getting frustrated with his creative by that point and it just happened to be the last straw.

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

Benne posted:

Austin's real issue was that Vince wanted to give away the match on free TV instead of drawing money with a PPV build, doing the job was never a problem. He was already getting frustrated with his creative by that point and it just happened to be the last straw.

not just on free TV, free TV with no build. it was like a king of the ring first round match or something

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

NikkolasKing posted:

Was Rock already doing some movies at that point or no? Even if he wasn't doing the gimmick, maybe there was some resentment there.

I remember watching the PPV and we were all rooting for Brock, probably largely due to the fact that he was a new guy who loving ruled. It was time for something new and the fans wanted it.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Ganso Bomb posted:

Was Rock already doing some movies at that point or no? Even if he wasn't doing the gimmick, maybe there was some resentment there.

I remember watching the PPV and we were all rooting for Brock, probably largely due to the fact that he was a new guy who loving ruled. It was time for something new and the fans wanted it.

Yeah, it was a combination of The Rock clearly being on his way out to act full-time, and everybody being ready for Brock to just murder everybody. He came off 100% legit like a guy who was too good to ever lose.

Man, that match was so much loving fun. You can see in the first 10 seconds why people were so excited for Brock as champ. Rock runs in, starts throwing punches, and Brock just grabs him and throws him into space.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Just watched that match. Still owns.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Smoking Crow posted:

Rock was a Bret Hart guy and Bret just talked about it recently, but Shawn and HHH were apparently really lovely to Rock when he first started and tried to get him to quit, which pissed off Owen and Bret, who talked him through it.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
It's so funny how Brock had that unbelievable summer, climaxing with a dominant win over The Rock. A lot of people had tuned out after WCW died and the Invasion happened, but it wasn't completely unsalvageable like it's been for a decade plus. WWF was dead and WWE had its first new star!

Who was then immediately shuttled off to the B Show so HHH could run Raw and scare off more viewers and prevent any new stars from being born.

And now we're here. Oops!

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
So just so I'm clear, Jim Johnston was dumped by the WWE a while ago, because they had CFO$.

Now CFO$ is in some sort of dispute, and can't currently do music for WWE.

So is WWE using stock music, or what?

I can't imagine Johnston would want to return.

Can anyone summarize the Johnston to CFO$ to 'what the gently caress', and where WWE stands now in regards to theme music?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Nut Bunnies posted:

It's so funny how Brock had that unbelievable summer, climaxing with a dominant win over The Rock. A lot of people had tuned out after WCW died and the Invasion happened, but it wasn't completely unsalvageable like it's been for a decade plus. WWF was dead and WWE had its first new star!

Who was then immediately shuttled off to the B Show so HHH could run Raw and scare off more viewers and prevent any new stars from being born.

Sounds like a whole lot of people talked to their friend Mark

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

El Gallinero Gros posted:

As has been pointed out by others, ECW stole a lot of the way they presented themselves from Memphis/Florida and FMW.

The old school folks who bitched about how they did things either had short memories, never watched it and only heard about broad statements that painted it as blood n' guts, or suck at comprehension.

Mid South, too. Specifically, Raven stole a lot of Mid South's TV pacing and sold it to Heyman when he showed up in ECW.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Red posted:

So just so I'm clear, Jim Johnston was dumped by the WWE a while ago, because they had CFO$.

Now CFO$ is in some sort of dispute, and can't currently do music for WWE.

So is WWE using stock music, or what?

I can't imagine Johnston would want to return.

Can anyone summarize the Johnston to CFO$ to 'what the gently caress', and where WWE stands now in regards to theme music?

They are using an artist by the name of def rebel now.

He's a 46 year old record executive.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

WWE should get that CEO from Goldman Sachs who is a trance DJ on the weekends.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Nut Bunnies posted:

I'm pretty sure Smackdown was the A show while Heyman was running it, so it makes sense that Brock was on the show where he'd be best booked

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Yeah smackdown ruled in that era

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

They are using an artist by the name of def rebel now.

He's a 46 year old record executive.

Also WWE are mad because they have to actually pay royalties on the CFO$ stuff.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

If AEW were smart they'd make a deal with CFO$ immediately, just so they can give a wrestler the best entrance theme they ever made:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=av1usw_GzmY

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
CFO$ are apparently out of the music business completely; both of them are doing regular jobs now. Based on how lovely music industry contracts can be: they might not legally be able to actually do anything in the industry without going through their old management team without a protracted, expensive, risky legal battle.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

are we seriously at the point where people miss CFO$ now

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Paper Lion posted:

I like that one theme that was "dun dun dun dun, dun dun dun dun, dun, dun" and then it looped.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Samoa Joe's theme was good but I legitimately can't think of another great one that didn't involve another talent.

Nakamura's was fine, I GUESS.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Paper Lion posted:

I dunno. Do people still type out

seth rollins
SETH ROLLINS

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
CFO put out some great themes.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

you are lying if you don't give credit for sasha banks theme. i don't know if she still uses it but the good one

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
My favorite CFO$ theme was the one that sounded a lot like some other band or artist’s song

Venomous posted:

I'm pretty sure Smackdown was the A show while Heyman was running it, so it makes sense that Brock was on the show where he'd be best booked

Smackdown was a better show to watch but Raw was, is, and always will be #1 in the company and viewing public’s eyes

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

scoundrels

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Nut Bunnies posted:

My favorite CFO$ theme was the one that sounded a lot like some other band or artist’s song

Ripping off real songs because you can't just use them due to copyright is an honourable tradition in wrestling.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Nakamura and Balor’s themes were good.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

in mexico they have decided that copyright simply doesn't count south of the border

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i always tended to enjoy feds that just used real music from the start like roh and pwg. roh would just include it on their dvds and hope nobody noticed until the hdnet deal came in and raised their exposure. i always wondered how ecw got away with it on tv and ppv. people claim that heyman had music industry contacts but because its heyman i somehow do not believe that

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

JOHN CENA posted:

i always tended to enjoy feds that just used real music from the start like roh and pwg. roh would just include it on their dvds and hope nobody noticed until the hdnet deal came in and raised their exposure. i always wondered how ecw got away with it on tv and ppv. people claim that heyman had music industry contacts but because its heyman i somehow do not believe that

ECW probably got away with it by being small and nobody really noticed mixed in with the fact that the 90's really was the tail end of music companies not being quite so vigilant on cracking down on copywrite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

JOHN CENA posted:

He had a contract with Tommy Boy records, he'd promote their poo poo, they'd let him use music, which is why he was able to use Whoomp There it Is and Here Comes the Hotstepper