Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Needs more Blue Danube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

LifeSunDeath posted:

Can someone explain why people are doing this? And don't say because it's fun, it doesn't look fun at all, it looks incredibly stupid and for clout but with who?

Incest and alcohol

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:

LifeSunDeath posted:

Can someone explain why people are doing this? And don't say because it's fun, it doesn't look fun at all, it looks incredibly stupid and for clout but with who?

I'd do this, but like, on a golf cart so I'm not losing fun by cringing at the stresses to the drivetrain of the vehicle.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Couldn't this level of shock right through center mass give you a heart attack if youre not lucky?

What even is that? It looks like a car battery, but car batteries can't shock you like that. Or are they just faking it

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/IncredibleBarrenDairycow-mobile.mp4

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Must've been first thing in the morning.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

Never fell a burning log

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/wInsPCa.mp4

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

LifeSunDeath posted:

*With whom

edit: sorry posting from my car swing might need to catch up if this was addressed already

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

SLOSifl posted:

*With whom

edit: sorry posting from my car swing might need to catch up if this was addressed already

I understand who>he/she vs whom>him/her, but there's plenty of situations where it still feels wrong or overly formal, and who can be used and understood in most cases anyway.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Couldn't this level of shock right through center mass give you a heart attack if youre not lucky?

The way they're doing it, unlikely. Skin has sufficiently high resistance to prevent a current like that from giving more than a superficial shock. There's a case of a US Navy sailor accidentally killing himself with a multimeter because while playing with testing his own resistance, he accidentally stabbed the probes into his skin, bypassing the skin and letting the current travel right through his heart.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

LifeSunDeath posted:

I understand who>he/she vs whom>him/her, but there's plenty of situations where it still feels wrong or overly formal, and who can be used and understood in most cases anyway.
Your nonchalance here is exactly how you end up in a car swing.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://i.imgur.com/KrZzrVR.mp4

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

That took me a few loops to figure out what happened and let me just be the second to say HOLY gently caress

(I assume the driver said that long before any of us)

Stanky Bean
Dec 30, 2004

BMan posted:

What even is that? It looks like a car battery, but car batteries can't shock you like that. Or are they just faking it

Why not? Genuine question as one time I accidentally bridged the terminals of a car battery with a double ended wrench and it absolutely did do something exciting.

Yellow Yoshi
Apr 29, 2020

Figure 1: Mario's weird dog

LifeSunDeath posted:

It's ok, language is fluid and it evolves, you can do whatever you want really as long as your understood none of this matters

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/7nOUrAU.mp4

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

BMan posted:

car batteries are made to put out over 200A to crank an engine, they can easily kill you, their low voltage has trouble effecting you because generally your dry skin has 10k ohms resistance or so

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

A friend of mine in high school found out about the power of a car battery the hard way. He was messing about with an old one and bridged the terminals with an old piece of copper wire. He was hoping to make some sparks kind of like a primitive arc welder thing. Anyway apparently there was a flash/bang and his hand got burned. He could not find the piece of copper anywhere and the area smelt funny. Kind of a mix of burnt flesh and copper vapour.

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

For when lonely nights turn bonely

I have actually done this before.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Stanky Bean posted:

Why not? Genuine question as one time I accidentally bridged the terminals of a car battery with a double ended wrench and it absolutely did do something exciting.

The excitement is related to the current flowing through the object. That goes up with the square of the voltage, so one hundred and twenty volts is a hundred times as exciting as twelve.

Twelve volts can still get exciting if the source is capable of delivering a lot of current (car batteries are) and the object is an excellent conductor (wrenches are).

Your body isn’t a good conductor under most circumstances, so it takes more voltage to make things exciting there.

Stanky Bean
Dec 30, 2004

starkebn posted:

car batteries are made to put out over 200A to crank an engine, they can easily kill you, their low voltage has trouble effecting you because generally your dry skin has 10k ohms resistance or so

Platystemon posted:

The excitement is related to the current flowing through the object. That goes up with the square of the voltage, so one hundred and twenty volts is a hundred times as exciting as twelve.

Twelve volts can still get exciting if the source is capable of delivering a lot of current (car batteries are) and the object is an excellent conductor (wrenches are).

Your body isn’t a good conductor under most circumstances, so it takes more voltage to make things exciting there.

ahh

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

I was always super wary of those electric forklift batteries. A cool quarter ton of lead, acid, and angry pixies

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

aphid_licker posted:

I was always super wary of those electric forklift batteries. A cool quarter ton of lead, acid, and angry pixies

Quarter ton? Y'all had some tiny batteries. I worked in the battery room of a warehouse for a while. The small ones were 1500 lbs, we had some that were over 2500. Used a electric sled on rails to pull the batteries out of the forklifts onto rollers with a big suction cup, swap in a freshly charged one.

It was an okay job, if boring. Most exiting thing was using an acetylene torch to solder on a fresh set of cables and crimp a connector now and then.

FE: Found a crappy video of one! Our setup was only two high, in a row on each side. One row was shorter for the forklift to park at. It was a fun machine to drive, powerful too. You could nudge a full size forklift over (sans battery at this point) if you didn't pay attention.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoIHZxIlIKk

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
All this battery talk makes me wonder if I'll ever be able to replace the stuff in my Leaf.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

WarpedNaba posted:

All this battery talk makes me wonder if I'll ever be able to replace the stuff in my Leaf.

Honestly looks straightforward if you can get access to a lift.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlxzlQgovUA

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

LifeSunDeath posted:

If you don't think it looks fun I don't know how I can explain with words how wrong you are. And yes, it does look stupid. That's the point. It's the stupid kind of fun, silly but ultimately harmless if done right and entertaining if done wrong as long as no one gets killed or seriously injured as a result.

Me: Oh man that window is hosed, I wonder what the equipment threw at it
Video: tilts down
Me: :catstare:

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymZqVcR6_bA&t=1848s Part timestamped and after is NSFW only due to a ton of colorful language.

The rest of the video before the timestamp is about a horrible murder, the part after the timestamp... :piss:

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

local boatfuckling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AogEFX8jxb8

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

The sound of the prop grinding against the concrete is amazing.

Description in video posted:

Witnesses say the boat driver climbed out of the boat and left the scene. Multiple empty beer cans were left scattered on the floor of the boat.

You don't say!!

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

i remember this safety video

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

why don't they just lower the bike lane

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Platystemon posted:

One of the profs at my university has a story of a friend of his getting the poo poo burned out of his wrist when he was helping someone out at the side of the road with a flat battery and accidentally shorted the battery with his stainless steel wristwatch. Even a short contact that was nearly instantly broken heated the watch up enough to cause a severe burn.

I found a paper on a similar incident and it doesn't look fun:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/16006850/

quote:

While he was inspecting the engine compartment of the vehicle as part of a periodic check-up, he attempted to examine the battery unit manually and had his watchstrap touch the positive pole, which is close to the metal hood of the vehicle. He stated that he felt an instant shock and snapping pain at his wrist, with a visible spark in blue-red colors. He immediately pulled his hand back and tried to get rid off the watch because of pain perception. He noticed that a band of skin corresponding to the shape of the metal watchstrap was sloughed with removal of the watch.

The paper has a picture of a wristwatch-shaped patch of missing skin on the guy's wrist. Don't play with car batteries, kids

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Aug 26, 2020

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
the word "sloughed" has never been involved with fun at all

don't eat sled dog livers, folks

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Sex Skeleton posted:

I have actually done this before.

same but snow.

In rain once you get to about 80 it starts to self wick into a solid clear membrane and isn't a problem anymore. Just be cool and take it easy and the baldness of the tires will not be an issue.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

BattleMaster posted:

One of the profs at my university has a story of a friend of his getting the poo poo burned out of his wrist when he was helping someone out at the side of the road with a flat battery and accidentally shorted the battery with his stainless steel wristwatch. Even a short contact that was nearly instantly broken heated the watch up enough to cause a severe burn.

I found a paper on a similar incident and it doesn't look fun:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/16006850/

The paper has a picture of a wristwatch-shaped patch of missing skin on the guy's wrist. Don't play with car batteries, kids

Big batteries do NOT gently caress around, which is why basically every single one of them now has captive lugs and covers that prevent you from doing the dumb dumb thing and shorting the posts with a dropped wrench or wedding ring or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Memento posted:

the word "sloughed" has never been involved with fun at all

don't eat sled dog livers, folks

Thanks, I'd almost forgotten that story