Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

I recall Alex Brooker once recounting a benefits check (for a disabled-friendly vehicle IIRC) where he was asked how long he expected to have his condition. His condition being "having had his leg amputated as a child". This was an in-person interview.

My pet peeve is people not having the bare minimum common sense and compassion when it comes to disabled/mentally ill/etc people. We're dealing with enough poo poo, just do your goddamn job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It annoys me when people act like the Star Wars bad guys being popular is some kind of cultural tell that we've gone too fash*. "Disney has stormtrooper parades and you can meet Darth Vader and Kylo Ren, but not any good guys (except Chewbacca and the robots)!!" It must be because fascism and not because the stormtroopers are a much more iconic design than "uh, world war 2 guys in space I guess." It must be Disney endorsing nazism, and not Disney being a soulless corporation that realizes you can hire dozens of people to play a guy in a mask who swordfights little kids full time for cheaper than Harrison Ford showing up once.

The first time I felt this was like... ten thousand years ago when chuds were mad about The Last Jedi. There was this huge thing where the Star War twitter had a poll about if you liked the goodies or the baddies more, and the baddies got a bunch of votes, almost as much as the goodies, and everyone was like "see!! omfg! fascism is coming." And I remember it because I voted for the bad guys. Because I think tie fighters are cooler than x-wings and red swords are cooler than blue swords and broody antiheroes are cooler than wide-eyed protagonists. Always have. Plus lmfao if you don't think Ian McDiarmid chewing the scenery is the best thing that ever came out of Star Wars.

But no apparently if you think lightning and choking are cooler powers to use on video game NPCs than shielding and healing you must be a fascist. I wouldn't do atrocities irl if I had space wizard powers.

*we have but it's not bc of little kids playing in Darth Vader masks

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Rabbit Hill posted:

"the Rona"

Just say "COVID". It's one syllable shorter and doesn't make you sound like a tool.

COVID is the disease caused by the virus, not the virus itself. :colbert:

People calling the virus COVID is one of my pet peeves. You can carry the virus but not have COVID, which is one of the reasons it spread so quickly in the first place.

That whole nomenclature isn’t new, there’s Ebola/EVD... and that distinction doesn’t matter as much since Ebola is not known for its asymptomatic carriers.

Ugly In The Morning has a new favorite as of 15:57 on Aug 23, 2020

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Ugly In The Morning posted:

People calling the virus COVID is one of my pet peeves. You can carry the virus but not have COVID, which is one of the reasons it spread so quickly in the first place.

That whole nomenclature isn’t new, there’s Ebola/EVD... and that distinction doesn’t matter as much since Ebola is not known for its asymptomatic carriers.

the nomenclature is for every virus but you'll teach people that right after you get done teaching people that soap doesn't kill the germs that's why you gotta scrub.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

the nomenclature is for every virus but you'll teach people that right after you get done teaching people that soap doesn't kill the germs that's why you gotta scrub.

Yeah, Ebola/EVD was just the highest profile one that popped into my head.

I blame the ad campaigns for antibacterial soaps for that soap one, trying to un-teach years of marketing is difficult. Even when you have giant posters explaining “wash your hands like this!” Over the sink.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

cafes and restaurants where you can only pay with your phone and one of those qr codes or an app. gently caress off, just let me use my card

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I hate how I'm always hurting myself- stubbing my toe, banging my elbow, hitting my hand on something.

It never does any lasting damage, but it hurts like the loving Dickens and it makes me feel stupid on top of it. Like goddamn it, self, can't you keep track of your own body parts?! :argh:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Most people can barely remember the difference between HIV and AIDS. You're asking a lot here, especially since people are naturally going to use the shorter term when (as far as laymen are concerned) they're interchangable. The people in positions where specificity matters(medical providers/researchers/etc) know the difference anyway.

But in the vein of medical-related peeves:
1) People who don't understand what the flu actually is. No, it's not the various GI bugs people call 'stomach flu'. No, that bad cold you had wasn't the flu. The flu hits way harder than a cold ever could.
2) People who think it's some great injustice or oversight that your blood type is not routinely provided/shown on your id/whatever. You knowing your own blood type literally does not matter outside of your own amusement. Any time you donate blood or have blood transfused to you, you will be re-typed. It's too great a safety risk not to.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Apparently some australians will insist you pronounce "Melbourne" non-rhotically even if you have a rhotic accent and it's possibly the most obnoxious thing I've ever heard

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Apparently some australians will insist you pronounce "Melbourne" non-rhotically even if you have a rhotic accent and it's possibly the most obnoxious thing I've ever heard

It's Mel-Bin because Australia is garbage.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

There's literally no R sound in the word. Consider it a silent letter. This is not loving difficult. Also, the emphasis is on the first syllable so if you're pronounce it "mel-BORRNE" (as most Americans seem to) you're double-wrong.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Tiggum posted:

There's literally no R sound in the word. Consider it a silent letter. This is not loving difficult. Also, the emphasis is on the first syllable so if you're pronounce it "mel-BORRNE" (as most Americans seem to) you're double-wrong.

Nah

Also lmfao imagine if I took this attitude with anglos pronouncing french words

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
I live in the US and I've never heard anyone pronounce it with an R sound. This isn't something I have any opinion about and I wouldn't think anything of hearing a different pronunciation, but I've genuinely never heard of someone saying it a different way.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Dip Viscous posted:

I live in the US and I've never heard anyone pronounce it with an R sound. This isn't something I have any opinion about and I wouldn't think anything of hearing a different pronunciation, but I've genuinely never heard of someone saying it a different way.

I can't think of any specific examples, but I hear it on TV all the time. Along with pronouncing "Aussie" with an S sound in the middle instead of a Z sound.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Similarly Briz-bane rather than Briz-bn.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
i find it amusing that Australians are apparently like "you must pronounce this the exact way we do in our local accent, regardless of your own" and in America if you pronounce the name of a city like New Orleans via putting on a fake accent to pretend to say it the way the locals do, the lcals think you're loving stupid (New Orleans in a New Orleans accent is more like N'awlins but if you're not from there it will sound fake and everyone will be laughing at you)

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

InediblePenguin posted:

i find it amusing that Australians are apparently like "you must pronounce this the exact way we do in our local accent, regardless of your own" and in America if you pronounce the name of a city like New Orleans via putting on a fake accent to pretend to say it the way the locals do, the lcals think you're loving stupid (New Orleans in a New Orleans accent is more like N'awlins but if you're not from there it will sound fake and everyone will be laughing at you)

Pronunciation and accent are not the same thing. If you put on a fake Australian accent to say Australian place names then you will sound dumb.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

Tiggum posted:

Pronunciation and accent are not the same thing. If you put on a fake Australian accent to say Australian place names then you will sound dumb.

the rhoticity thing is tied to accent, though? in my opinion it is perfectly right and proper to insist upon the emphasis being on the right syllable as part of correct pronunciation, as re: MELbourne vs melBOURNE, but if someone has a rhotic accent and pronounces a word with an R in it by pronouncing the R, i put that in the accent category rather than the pronunciation one, just like the vowels in New Orleans

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
And yet Launceston is pronounced Lawn-cest-un rather than the shorter (and legit) Lons-tn. Very un-Australian.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

InediblePenguin posted:

the rhoticity thing is tied to accent, though?

It's not, because it's a proper noun. It's a set thing regardless of your own region.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Dip Viscous posted:

It's not, because it's a proper noun. It's a set thing regardless of your own region.

So how do you pronounce "New York" pray tell

Also why is there one true way to say MELbourne but if you say Paris with a guttural r and silent s, you know, the one true pronunciation, you sound like a total jackass

Oh another one: I don't say Colorado the same way as my roommate, is that proper noun one that has a true pronunciation?

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 09:32 on Aug 26, 2020

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

InediblePenguin posted:

the rhoticity thing is tied to accent, though? in my opinion it is perfectly right and proper to insist upon the emphasis being on the right syllable as part of correct pronunciation, as re: MELbourne vs melBOURNE, but if someone has a rhotic accent and pronounces a word with an R in it by pronouncing the R, i put that in the accent category rather than the pronunciation one, just like the vowels in New Orleans
It's not a question of how you pronounce the letter R though, it's whether you pronounce it at all. There's no accent that would make it correct to pronounce the K in "knife" and there's no accent that makes it correct to pronounce the R in "Melbourne". Because it's not pronounced like "or"; it's mælbən, not mælbɔːrn.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Peeve: English speakers arguing about the pronunciation of their hodge podge language with no consistent rules spoken worldwide like it loving matters

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

Tiggum posted:

It's not a question of how you pronounce the letter R though, it's whether you pronounce it at all.
tiggum, this is literally what "rhotic" vs "nonrhotic" refers to, hence the words "rhotic" and "nonrhotic" ("with R" and "without R")

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

InediblePenguin posted:

Don’t even get me started on “Montreal”

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

InediblePenguin posted:

tiggum, this is literally what "rhotic" vs "nonrhotic" refers to, hence the words "rhotic" and "nonrhotic" ("with R" and "without R")

Yes, I phrased that poorly. The rest of the post clarifies though. There's still a difference between ɔːr and ə whether you pronounce the R or not. I don't pronounce the R in "core" as ɹ, but I don't pronounce the word kə or kɜʉ̯. An American might say kɔɹ and an Australian koː, but we both pronounce the word differently because the R is there. That is not true in the case of "Melbourne" in which the R is ignored entirely.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

InediblePenguin posted:

Funny thing is that there's an accent from Melbourne which leads to it being pronounced more like Mal-bn.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
My town's name is spelled "Fuckville" but its pronounced "HFRFEFREFR" and if you dont pronounce it right the residents fly into a rage and break your knees because obviously how did you not know it sounds nothing like the way it's spelled that's on you

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

It's Megl-Boo-Or-Knee

Anything else is obviously wrong

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Just call it Melbs, problem solved.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
None of you should ever visit Fife.

In fact, nobody should ever visit Fife.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Disgusting Coward posted:

None of you should ever visit Fife.

In fact, nobody should ever visit Fife.

My husband’s fae Fife. I have visited Fife many times and know how to pronounce place names there like a pro and have mastered the Scottish ‘ch’, but yeah there are many place names that’ll trip you up.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

If you say "Bangkok" instead of "Krung Thep Maha Nakhon" you're basically not a real human being.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Elissimpark posted:

And yet Launceston is pronounced Lawn-cest-un rather than the shorter (and legit) Lons-tn. Very un-Australian.

The locals in the original Launceston (Cornwall) will pronounce it "Lans'n"

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Roblo posted:

The locals in the original Launceston (Cornwall) will pronounce it "Lans'n"

Google maps is always good for a laugh in Cornwall (when you can get signal obviously).
Laoun-SES..... un.

It's like the plane'arium guy from South Park

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Melborne is the game with the trained blood and werewolves and stuff right? I'm not surprised it's based on a real life place if that place is Australia

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The person shrugging emoji used to have a purple shirt but now it has an orange shirt and I like purple better than orange. :(

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

Tiggum posted:

The person shrugging emoji used to have a purple shirt but now it has an orange shirt and I like purple better than orange. :(

Just checked, on google the gender neutral one is orange, the female(long hair) one is purple and the male(short hair) one is turquoise. So the option is still there

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Hello! And thank you for buying our ~450usd tablet!
Now, while 400-500usd used to be a 'premium' device a couple years ago, you are now solidly in the 'we don't give a poo poo about you as a customer' category.
Enjoy the too-short-to-be-of-any-use charging cable, designed exclusively for the people who charge their devices on the kitchen countertop, or on the floor!
And don't forget! Your device supports a super fast 15W charging speed! Which is why we made sure to include a 7.8W charger, so that people might be tempted to buy a charger that we'll sell at a 20x markup!

I mean, I'm not too annoyed since I'll just be using my phone's charger anyhow. But it's really annoying how the tablet market is now utterly non-competitive, and mostly just samsung (if you don't give a poo poo about apple.) throwing their weight around with terrible and arbitrarily set up price groups.
It's just gross and kind of tiresome how the same price point leads to a worse product, stats wise, 6 years later, but if this one lasts for another ~6.25 years like the previous one then I guess I'll be alright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I'm buying my first home right now and due to covid I'm signing a looooot of electronic forms and they thankfully highlight the areas where I'm supposed to sign. The annoying as gently caress part, though, is that whenever I sign one it automatically scrolls down to the next place. I'm about to sign on to a quarter million in debt and you're yadda yadda yadda'ing the loving contract? Plus it does it so quickly and un-highlights the spot you just signed so you have to remember what page you're on every. single. time. I'm required by law to read most of this! loving cut it out!