Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Dooguk posted:

Fall guy for SQ54

:popeye:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/U6fgegM.gifv

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

Like that time you played through all the episodes of SQ42?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Spiderdrake posted:

It really weirds me out when you talk like their marketing is good and they play "mind games" that outfox the backers

I would say it's the only department that knows exactly what they're doing. I've never seen a company tightrope over fraud without a net like they do. Everything is implied gameplay, "where were you when," "anniversary" ship giveaways, etc. It's a masterclass in making it look like the game's been done for years and has a huge playerbase and stuff going on everywhere, when the reality is a perpetually crashing broken model-viewer that will never be any of those things. Yet try as you might, you will never find a post that unequivocally claims that they actually have any of those things, in clear language you could point to in court.

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

The Titanic posted:

I'm surprised people think their marketing is terrible!

I'd say their marketing has helped them gloss over a constantly broken game, constantly missing deadlines, and hugely over budget, while maintaining people's excitement.

They are very aggressive and bordering on deceptive with their tactics, super good at giving people enough information for people to point at and great at keeping the ball rolling. They've effectively raised $300M for a broken tech demo with more money rolling in constantly.

CIG as a game development studio is terrible. But their ability to market a broken product and keep bringing in huge money is tremendous. I can understand people want CIG it be poo poo across the board, but I can't discount that their marketing group does a fantastic job with keeping the Dream not only alive but hugely defensible and they do a good crowd control job with keeping only discussions they want to have happen. This includes prerogatives for controlling forum topics, and what people can talk about openly on their channels.

This is why CIG is so vile

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Where's Chris?

Where's Sandi?

Where is Theatre of War?

Where is the the money

Where is the gameplay ?

Where is the road map ?

Where is sever meshing ?

Where is the marketing campaign to hype SQ42 for release ?

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

MedicineHut posted:

600 employees quote: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/50259/thread/cig-staff-artists-vs-programmers/3311433
450 developers quote: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/17727-Star-Citizen-Squadron-42-Roadmap-Update

Possible they were just playing with the fact 150 of those 600 are admin, finance, marketing etc.

Hilarious if not.

and of those 450 developers around 90 are involved with programming, tools ect.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

tuo posted:

What if I want a slider?

code:
if ((slider == false) && (player.wantsSlider() == true)) {
   slider = true;
}   
We expert programmers recognize that the if block can solve all problems, as seen in the code of Yandere Simulator.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

I've heard through the grapevine that a crack team of auditors have been employed at CIG Frankfurt so those pipelines will be really flowing in a couple of weeks.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

DigitalPenny posted:

Where's Chris?

Where's Sandi?

Where is Theatre of War?

Where is the the money

Where is the gameplay ?

Where is the road map ?

Where is sever meshing ?

Where's the beef?

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

DigitalPenny posted:

Where's Chris?

Directing.

Again.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt12413186/

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

It feels like a million years ago they had some food truck serve Big Benny's food as a gimmick and when that long haired dude gave the most unprofessional keynote and bragged about making an employee eat dirt

Didn't Ben go to the hospital for a heart issue and they brought him a box of donuts

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

The actual purpose of Star Citizen. I wonder how much of that defrauded money he spent to buy that spot.

ronmcd
Aug 27, 2017

No loving way.

And some said Star Citizer was a failure ...

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

WhyteRyce posted:

It feels like a million years ago they had some food truck serve Big Benny's food as a gimmick and when that long haired dude gave the most unprofessional keynote and bragged about making an employee eat dirt

Didn't Ben go to the hospital for a heart issue and they brought him a box of donuts

I think the donuts were photoshopped in. The "So You're Morbidly Obese" pamphlet that someone on the staff left on the nightstand was not. Also it wasn't a heart issue; he had an abscess that went septic

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Workin hard, thank you :gary:

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

I used to own a couple of ferrets / polecats, and they were absolutely hilarious at all times 24 / 7.
Two females, and the advice I got was once they were in season I should get a male in to see to their needs as this was natures way.
So my local pet shop (I've known the guy for years) let me borrow a male ferret and he got down to business.
A few weeks later I had 22 baby ferrets, like, I am not sure what I thought was gonna happen but yeah I was not prepared for this. Anyways, turns out 22 baby ferrets are a perpetual comedy machine, they bounced about, laughed out loud all day and generally made my life a solid laughfest for ages, one by one we sold them off but that period of time was so ridiculously hilarious it still makes me laugh now, thinking of the army of bobbing heads running at me everytime I walked in their room (I converted the whole garage to house them) still cracks me up.

What a great story, thanks for sharing. I'm all out of ferrets at the moment but my neighbors just adopted a baby/orphan squirrel and it's cute af

After petting and playing and feeding it a bit it curled into a ball in my hand and went to sleep, I can't wait to see my new squirrel friend tomorrow :)

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

MarcusSA posted:

This is me after getting back into running.

gently caress after being on lockdown long enough that's me getting back to walking :negative:

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
lurking around spectrum it seems like the standard justification for cig pissing away money and effort on tow was that tow will somehow allow cig to balance the game because they'll have a bunch of player data to work with

not only was this a stupid justification in the first place (the mode will probably bear no resemblance to the singleplayer campaign or ordinary pve) but it is completely inconsistent with their defense of sc's current lovely state. Person complains about SC being a ridiculous buggy unbalanced mess. Response: it's just an alpha :rolleyes: alphas are for getting all of the features in. Balance and QoL comes way later in beta. so why have a whole goddamn mode just for balancing in alpha?

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

:lol:

Guess things were getting stale....

:lol:

Still got a solid 6/10 inspite of Chris and his crippling influence

edit

Not even hiding that he is off doing something else .... he has no shame

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

Sigh...challenge accepted...shitty photoshop incoming.

Bofast posted:

Sorry to hear that. :(
I hope you get many more years than that, fellow goon.

Same, If I don't see the end of this story im going to be rather pissed. Last words will be "BUT I NEVER GET TO SEE WHAT HAPPENED"

Torquemada posted:

Sorry you got dealt a lovely hand. It’s one thing to joke around and say people will die before this loving thing gets finished, probably less amusing if you happen to be one of them.

Heh...Global Pandemic, Hurricane, Lost job because pandemic, and just because...cancer..Yeah..A lovely hand is....an understatement..

Is what it is though.

MedicineHut posted:

That really sucks. I hope you can battle it out and win.

I'm more worried about my wife.

Hav posted:

Welcome to the thread. When you say ‘betting’, are you not buying an Idris?

This thread maybe. I got my avatar from a previous iteration.

MostlyRandom posted:

well that sucks.
hope you stay strong and outdo the prognosis by a LONG time
gently caress cancer

25% for 5 years...Not great odds.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

DigitalPenny posted:

Where's Chris?

Where's Sandi?

Where is Theatre of War?

Where is the the money

Where is the gameplay ?

Where is the road map ?

Where is sever meshing ?

Where is my mind.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

The Titanic posted:

bordering on deceptive with their tactics

:laffo: How much are you in for commando!

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Dynastocles posted:

this will absolutely happen

Well... no. Nothing even close to this will ever happen because they're not up to the task of releasing anything except more spaceship jpgs, janky NPCs that don't function how they're supposed to after multiple years in development, and excuses for excuses for excuses explaining why the roadmap for the roadmap has been delayed for the third time.

But I see what you're saying.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Thoatse posted:

What a great story, thanks for sharing. I'm all out of ferrets at the moment but my neighbors just adopted a baby/orphan squirrel and it's cute af

After petting and playing and feeding it a bit it curled into a ball in my hand and went to sleep, I can't wait to see my new squirrel friend tomorrow :)

That sweet baby squirrel will sadly one day grow up and bite the gently caress out of everyone and then flee into the wilds. Hopefully he decides to chill in a nearby tree to get fed and hang out.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Only sometimes! It's luck of the draw though whether they stay socialized or not and how they react to getting spooked.

It's still a bad idea to keep wild animals as pets if they're at all able and willing to return to the outside, though.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Rynoto posted:

Only sometimes! It's luck of the draw though whether they stay socialized or not and how they react to getting spooked.

It's still a bad idea to keep wild animals as pets if they're at all able and willing to return to the outside, though.

Yeah wasn't trying to doomsay, but they shouldn't try to "keep" him. Raise him, take care of him, let him go. If he wants to chill out, he will.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Keeping feral squirrels as pets is less irresponsible than Star Citizen tho

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Kesper North posted:

That's an insanely low bar to clear. You need to think of the welfare of a Star Citizen AI here.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Meridian posted:

Yeah wasn't trying to doomsay, but they shouldn't try to "keep" him. Raise him, take care of him, let him go. If he wants to chill out, he will.

Yeah that's their plan the only complication is that it's already getting accustomed to a few cats that are chill enough not to kill him on sight and we're worried he might think the other cats around here are as cool and good. They got a little cage thing for him for now and bring it in at night and put it outside in the day with the plan of doing this for 1-2 weeks before releasing him back to the hill we're on but he's a little character in the meantime

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Kesper North posted:

And I am pretty sure my girlfriend would react quite differently to adoption of baby squirrel and to purchase of idris.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Thoatse posted:

Yeah that's their plan the only complication is that it's already getting accustomed to a few cats that are chill enough not to kill him on sight and we're worried he might think the other cats around here are as cool and good. They got a little cage thing for him for now and bring it in at night and put it outside in the day with the plan of doing this for 1-2 weeks before releasing him back to the hill we're on but he's a little character in the meantime

They sound like good people :3:

Also the only reason this trainwreck is still fun to watch is because of animal posts.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Thoatse posted:

I don't think you guys have to worry. There is a documented sort of shift in behavior once they hit a certain age even if they were raised by hand. Enjoy it while it lasts though, he is super cute.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Rynoto posted:

They sound like good people :3:

Also the only reason this trainwreck is still fun to watch is because of animal posts.

https://i.imgur.com/7y0d4gS.mp4

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

L. Ron Hoover posted:

ROFL I'm not sure this person has played another video game

No poo poo. Yeah, everyone did think that was amazing, but we thought that in 2001. Since then countless games have done it, and the genre of open world games in general has moved on from "501 different barebones activities" game design to more story-heavy and immersive experiences.

So Star Citizen is only out of date by a decade or so here.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Meridian posted:

That's an insanely low bar to clear. You need to think of the welfare of a Star Citizen AI here.

Are you inferring that a squirrel could be trained to role play a Star Citizen bartender?

Does Chris know this? (While co-directing stuff?)

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

And people say filming in portrait is bad

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

lurking around spectrum it seems like the standard justification for cig pissing away money and effort on tow was that tow will somehow allow cig to balance the game because they'll have a bunch of player data to work with

not only was this a stupid justification in the first place (the mode will probably bear no resemblance to the singleplayer campaign or ordinary pve) but it is completely inconsistent with their defense of sc's current lovely state. Person complains about SC being a ridiculous buggy unbalanced mess. Response: it's just an alpha :rolleyes: alphas are for getting all of the features in. Balance and QoL comes way later in beta. so why have a whole goddamn mode just for balancing in alpha?

It's just stupid, TOW will be balanced against instant respawn times, whereas in the PU it'll take you 30 mins to come back to a specific spot after the full wake-up-train-ride-get-my-ship-then-quantum-travel-wait.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Someone needs to edit this so CIG is the spray and the dog is the backers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/FirmFailingAmericansaddlebred-mobile.mp4