Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

TURGID TOMFOOLERY posted:

FWIW I think of you want to run 3x Hive Guard, you might as well spend the extra 100 and increase the unit to a total of 5x

Unless you don’t have the models, yeah. Considering Single-Minded Annihilation is almost always eaten by these it’s best to fill the unit. Really going to 6 isn’t huge since you’re probably going to be out of sight anyway and the number of d3 shot weapons you’ll see unless you’re fighting other Nids is pretty small.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

TURGID TOMFOOLERY posted:

FWIW I think of you want to run 3x Hive Guard, you might as well spend the extra 100 and increase the unit to a total of 5x

I appreciate the suggestion but I'm trying to build a list without spending more money so it's not an option for me currently. I'll keep it in mind for the future though!

TURGID TOMFOOLERY
Nov 1, 2019

a7m2 posted:

I appreciate the suggestion but I'm trying to build a list without spending more money so it's not an option for me currently. I'll keep it in mind for the future though!

Whoops! I missed that. Understood friend :)

P.S. I really love hive guard. A rare combination of the rules being good and the models looking gorgeous.

Killer_Bees!
Dec 25, 2005

I, for one, welcome
our new insect overlords.
Buglord
After getting trounced with my new necrons In my last game got working on the last HQ for them as the fall back and shoot would have come in super handy.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
My life changed forever after I bought Vallejo White Grey. Its coverage is amazing.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I tried to Reset my password for the Warhammer app. Got the email, click the link, and it takes me to a 404 page :golfclap: Has anyone here managed to reset their password?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I've had two pots of White Scar be complete grainy trash, never ever buy White Scar

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

VMC White and Black are fantastic upgrades over white scar/corax white and abaddon black. Even if you like sticking with GW paints do yourself a favour and pick those two up, or at least the white

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I've had two pots of White Scar be complete grainy trash, never ever buy White Scar

I've found there's a big difference buying paint from a GW store and buying paint online. The online stuff is always fine but the store stuff has been sat on a shelf for god knows how long and can be awful.

For comparison, my White Scar is fine.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Kitchner posted:

I've found there's a big difference buying paint from a GW store and buying paint online. The online stuff is always fine but the store stuff has been sat on a shelf for god knows how long and can be awful.

I also like to tell myself that USPS or whoever helped to shake up my pots during shipping, as opposed to in-store ones that have been sitting forever as you said.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
A little pcr tube vortexer thingy seems like a good investment for mixing paints as even with a bead inside the pot it gets really tiresome.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Sab669 posted:

I also like to tell myself that USPS or whoever helped to shake up my pots during shipping, as opposed to in-store ones that have been sitting forever as you said.

The trick is to write "FRAGILE! HANDLE WITH CARE!" on your paint deliveries and then you'll ensure they are shaken up significantly en route.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Also might as well go whole hog with lab equipment and get an ultrasonic water bath to clean paintbrushes with.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Spanish Manlove posted:

Also might as well go whole hog with lab equipment and get an ultrasonic water bath to clean paintbrushes with.

Airbrushers already do this.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Kitchner posted:

Oh wow, I can't even imagine a Citadel white paint that isn't grainy and almost worthless, but I've only bought them in person. Definitely going to try getting them online.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

PinheadSlim posted:

Oh wow, I can't even imagine a Citadel white paint that isn't grainy and almost worthless, but I've only bought them in person. Definitely going to try getting them online.

You know what, I forgot I bought a new pot from a store the other day and I opened it up and it's lumpy. So I put a steel ball bearing in there and gave it a really good hard shake and it came out fine.

I will say though the white paints go "bad" much faster than other paints, with the exception maybe of the metallics. The metallic paints towards the end can go a bit oily, presumably because the pigment and flakes get separated from the suspension fluid easier. With white it's going to be to do with the pigment, and I've never seen a "base" white (i.e. Corax White) from Gamesworkshop that didn't go goopey pretty quickly. I dealt with mine by adding some lahmian medium to the pot, stirring things up with a stick, and adding a ball bearing. It only fixes it temporarily though, and if I don't use it for a while it needs a stir with a stick and then a good hard shake.

That all being said, the off white colour is great and it does have good coverage, so I don't mind putting up with it. Maybe I need to try a similar off white from vellajo or something.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Kitchner posted:

You know what, I forgot I bought a new pot from a store the other day and I opened it up and it's lumpy. So I put a steel ball bearing in there and gave it a really good hard shake and it came out fine.

I will say though the white paints go "bad" much faster than other paints, with the exception maybe of the metallics. The metallic paints towards the end can go a bit oily, presumably because the pigment and flakes get separated from the suspension fluid easier. With white it's going to be to do with the pigment, and I've never seen a "base" white (i.e. Corax White) from Gamesworkshop that didn't go goopey pretty quickly. I dealt with mine by adding some lahmian medium to the pot, stirring things up with a stick, and adding a ball bearing. It only fixes it temporarily though, and if I don't use it for a while it needs a stir with a stick and then a good hard shake.

That all being said, the off white colour is great and it does have good coverage, so I don't mind putting up with it. Maybe I need to try a similar off white from vellajo or something.

Pure White paint gets lumpy because the pigment they have to use is much heavier and courser than the pigments used for other colors. Good fine white pigment is either toxic (lead) or expensive (titanium).

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Bucnasti posted:

Pure White paint gets lumpy because the pigment they have to use is much heavier and courser than the pigments used for other colors. Good fine white pigment is either toxic (lead) or expensive (titanium).

Also, titanium oxide crystals -- which are what gets used in titanium white pigment -- are, apparently, "needle" or "stick"-shaped, unlike most pigments which trend toward a more even particulate. So they get "tangled" with each other. This means we're doomed to lovely, clumpy white for as long as we're using titanium oxide pigment.

There's an easy way around this: use lead instead. For obvious reasons that's not happening.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Stephenls posted:

Also, titanium oxide crystals -- which are what gets used in titanium white pigment -- are, apparently, "needle" or "stick"-shaped, unlike most pigments which trend toward a more even particulate. So they get "tangled" with each other. This means we're doomed to lovely, clumpy white for as long as we're using titanium oxide pigment.

There's an easy way around this: use lead instead. For obvious reasons that's not happening.

I've worked with titanium oxide and can confirm it crystallizes at the drop of a hat and clogs up all your instruments. It is a bastard pigment :mad:

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy
Army painter spaceship exterior is such a great white (off white). I actually cant imagine a citadel white being good.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
So my older brother moved at the beginning of the month and left his place an utter mess and left behind a bunch of poo poo too(probably because technically the rent on that house wasn't in his name), anyway while cleaning the place up and sorting out which of the stuff left behind would be given away/thrown out or sent into storage, I ended up bringing home a decent amount of stuff, foremost among them is the majority of the Tau army he convinced me to buy almost 8 years ago cause he promised to build and paint them for me and then proceeded to barely do anything with for the entirety of that time, so now I have a bunch of tau that are barely assembled or painted, many of which are missing parts near as I can tell, and honestly I'm not sure if I should even bother trying to get these guys into a playable condition(especially since I don't own any of the supplies needed beyond some tools it and the Gunpla hobby share, nor do I have any of the needed current rulebooks), or if I should just sell them and try and recoup some of what I paid all those years ago, maybe I'll take some pics later of them all and let you guys help me decide on that

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
should there be a new thread

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

drrockso20 posted:

So my older brother moved at the beginning of the month and left his place an utter mess and left behind a bunch of poo poo too(probably because technically the rent on that house wasn't in his name), anyway while cleaning the place up and sorting out which of the stuff left behind would be given away/thrown out or sent into storage, I ended up bringing home a decent amount of stuff, foremost among them is the majority of the Tau army he convinced me to buy almost 8 years ago cause he promised to build and paint them for me and then proceeded to barely do anything with for the entirety of that time, so now I have a bunch of tau that are barely assembled or painted, many of which are missing parts near as I can tell, and honestly I'm not sure if I should even bother trying to get these guys into a playable condition(especially since I don't own any of the supplies needed beyond some tools it and the Gunpla hobby share, nor do I have any of the needed current rulebooks), or if I should just sell them and try and recoup some of what I paid all those years ago, maybe I'll take some pics later of them all and let you guys help me decide on that

If you don't feel like painting them or getting back into the game itself, just get rid of them, otherwise they'll just be taking up space in your house.

Other option; if you're bored, assemble one or two and and muck about with painting just to see if it's something you'd enjoy.

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy
Supplies like glue and a clippers are cheap. The real question is do you think you'll enjoy it?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I mean you can use Zinc White it's just very transparent

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

drrockso20 posted:

Id sell it all and buy one of the starter sets. I've gotten one each of AoS and 40K so far, and I find them really fun to put together. Painting is fun but also painful because I'm slow and bad

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

how many people are dying of covid right now who couldnt stop playing hams at their lgs

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I assume if they weren't taking it seriously in this context, they were also ignoring COVID in other aspects of their lives.

So probably somewhere between 3 and 100,000 people.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

John Romero posted:

how many people are dying of covid right now who couldnt stop playing hams at their lgs

Zero. Turns out the cure was Nuln Oil.

In all seriousness, some of my friends are meeting up to play 40k these days. New York's numbers are 0.66, but that's still not nothing, and I'm not going to meet up with groups of unmasked people. I've been consoling myself by thinking about starting a new project. By the time I can safely play again, I'll have 2k points of 1k Sons painted (or whatever army; that's just the frontrunner for new faction right now).

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'm in NYS too, I think we're pretty much best off in the nation aside from like Maine or Vermont where nobody even lives? I know some people who meet up and play outdoors and honestly that seems fine to me, especially if you know your opponent and know what precautions they're taking. But like there's a bunch of LGS near me hosting Friday Night Magic events and other things. I just don't need to play games that badly.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

Sab669 posted:

I'm in NYS too, I think we're pretty much best off in the nation aside from like Maine or Vermont where nobody even lives? I know some people who meet up and play outdoors and honestly that seems fine to me, especially if you know your opponent and know what precautions they're taking. But like there's a bunch of LGS near me hosting Friday Night Magic events and other things. I just don't need to play games that badly.

I’m in Connecticut myself which is leading in progress. I have been mulling getting back into this bullshit and recently bought a house with a basement, as well as an lgs and a gw store within ten minutes of me. Some of the LGS around here have started a lobbying type group. Apparently there’s a pretty big schism because some places are running FNM and the group is real pissed about it, I guess wizards is going to start banning stores over it.

Going to my parents to search their basement and attic to see if my old stuff is still there

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Yeah, I'm in Wisconsin, which has horrible numbers right now, but people at my LGS have been doing some games with very strict rules in place by the store, such as limited table space you have to reserve, required masks, no sharing dice, books, measuring tape, touching other models, but things are so esh right now I'm not participating, and so are a good number of the people who play there. I've at least been stopping in there and still buying paint and the occasional model because I want the place to still be there when it is safe to play.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Good thing Florida is incredibly dumb so I have plenty of time in the world to finish painting my Tau before I even get a chance at putting them on a tabletop.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

Werix posted:

when it is safe to play.

"when" lol

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

NW Florida is loving business as usual right now. One of our LGSs had a big outbreak from Magic players running full rear end tournaments and not masking or distancing, and the other has full blown events and not a single motherfucker in there is masked up. Of course, this is prime right wing "covid is a hoax to take your freedoms" country, but still.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

EdsTeioh posted:

NW Florida is loving business as usual right now. One of our LGSs had a big outbreak from Magic players running full rear end tournaments and not masking or distancing, and the other has full blown events and not a single motherfucker in there is masked up. Of course, this is prime right wing "covid is a hoax to take your freedoms" country, but still.

All the fighting game TOs I know are all in agreement of "No fuckin way we're running anything right now" and will yell at anyone trying to organize anything.

I hope the trad games dudes have that much sense.

I'm thinking about it and there may be a new Tau codex out by the time I get to actually play again.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Werix posted:

Yeah, I'm in Wisconsin, which has horrible numbers right now, but people at my LGS have been doing some games with very strict rules in place by the store, such as limited table space you have to reserve, required masks, no sharing dice, books, measuring tape, touching other models, but things are so esh right now I'm not participating, and so are a good number of the people who play there. I've at least been stopping in there and still buying paint and the occasional model because I want the place to still be there when it is safe to play.

Even with masks I just don't love the idea of chilling in a probably-small store for up to 3 or even 4 hours with randoms to play a game. Any game. This is a little hypocritical because I have no qualms going to my rock climbing gym since they reopened a month ago, but I justify that because it's taking care of my body and keeping me fit and active, I'm there half the amount of time I would be a game store, and it's a huge building with good ventilation.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Spanish Manlove posted:

All the fighting game TOs I know are all in agreement of "No fuckin way we're running anything right now" and will yell at anyone trying to organize anything.

I'm thinking about it and there may be a new Tau codex out by the time I get to actually play again.

The cafe I play at in London has started opening up again, and while I'm sure they will do their best to enforce social distancing, even if we assume the cafe itself is "safe" most people need to travel on the tube for an hour or so there and an hour or so back to get there.

At the moment I'm very bored at home a lot and itching to play warhammer, my girlfriend plays occasionally but i think shes more interesting in painting than playing, so I do painting sessions with her but it doesn't scratch the itch in the same way. Occasionally I get tempted and just think "well I could meet up with a friend, in the middle of the day there, it wouldnt be too bad" and then I remind myself it's not worth the risk to play with some toy soldiers.

We may end up inviting some friends around when their made to order Indomitus arrives to do like a hobby day, but I think any games I play are going to be on my dining table from now on (which also limits it to 1,000 points).

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER
Last time I was at my local GW, they banned gaming and painting activities. That's great, but they also walled off the rest of the store so there's just enough space for the register and a couple customers. I guess not wanting to wipe down the store constantly outweighs social distancing. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Spanish Manlove posted:

Fighting games seem like one of the things that would thrive like hell in an online only environment. Does Tau need a new codex? I just caved and bought a bunch at my son's request (SUUUUUUUUREEEE) but they seem "DecentNotGreat"