Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

LingcodKilla posted:

Depends on the ship. Currently I’m on sea duty but I wake up at 0730 and days over at 1630 plus I don’t stand a watch unless I volunteer to help the OS or CS out. Usually go to sleep around 2300 or so depending on if I feel tired.

gently caress I think you’re the best troll on this site I’m so goddamn mad rn

But for real I’m happy for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

It’s the rate, the reserves and the orders. I’m fully aware if I had picked any of combination of this I’d be most likely hating life. I had no idea that this platform doesn’t give us any privileges to do anything at all in rate besides physically moving stuff around and cable management. Honestly this platform should be a reward to active duty people to rest and recover. Our HM1 and AG1 active duty peeps are incredulous and thankful.
We almost.... had full liberty today but a typical 2020 event happened and it got yanked away. So it’s not all roses.
But it’s also not the Ike. Those poor dudes.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Yeah. After 15 years, it still blows my mind how much money you "lose" staying on a military installation vs. not, and most of the time it just depends on your paygrade. An IS2 I work with almost got boned out of per diem for his entire MOB, which is $120 per day where I'm at, because his sponsor was an idiot and pulled strings to get him NGIS lodging for his entire time here instead of letting the guy find a place. Luckily, he was able to wiggle out of his reservation and get a flat out in town.
And the flat is fully paid for, since we're all on TDY orders. So, that's literally a near $3600/month pay difference wholly dependent on which side of the gate you sleep on.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

LingcodKilla posted:

Depends on the ship. Currently I’m on sea duty but I wake up at 0730 and days over at 1630 plus I don’t stand a watch unless I volunteer to help the OS or CS out. Usually go to sleep around 2300 or so depending on if I feel tired.

Wow, that seems like a good deal. When I did a tour on a sub tender it was not quite as good, but close. After working in Reactor on carriers, that poo poo sucks so bad. Being a topside ride-along part of the crew really changes the game.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

lightpole posted:

Sea pay is $1500-2000/day plus benefits and gently caress that poo poo I would rather suck dick at the dick sucking factory for minimum wage.

lol navy career sea pay can start at $50 a month

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Time for my occasional recruiting post. If you have ever been interested in working in a data center and are getting out soon, you should look into data center work. If you had a technical or mechanical oriented rate in the Navy, were a nuke of any kind, Gas turbine guy, whatever, something technical, you should think about it. We hire Navy folk like *crazy*. It is not unusual to start lower, at around 60k, but with stocks and bonuses and whatnot to be making 100k+ in a few years. Around 10 years in it is not uncommon to be closing in on 200k. Google gives more pay with bonuses and stock, but Microsoft, Amazon, and Facebook do more direct pay, around 40 an hour or so. I can't help yall with them though. So if you are interested (even you lurkers) send me a PM or if you don't have pms just reply to this post and I will help you out. Here is a list of the data center positions in the US open right now:

https://careers.google.com/jobs/res...rt_by=relevance

Let me know if any of those are something you really want to apply to and contact me first and I can give you an employee referral, which can be helpful. If you have questions about transition from Navy to a data center I can help with that general field as well.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

lightpole posted:

Sea pay is $1500-2000/day plus benefits and gently caress that poo poo I would rather suck dick at the dick sucking factory for minimum wage.

The trick is to get into QA at one of those factories.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

US Berder Patrol posted:

lol navy career sea pay can start at $50 a month

Just join the merchant marine reserves and pretend Navy all you want with next to no obligations.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

piL posted:

The trick is to get into QA at one of those factories.

Look bud, you’re doing that all wrong. Scoot over and let me show you how it’s done.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

lightpole posted:

Just join the merchant marine reserves and pretend Navy all you want with next to no obligations.

MSC is taking an absolute hammering right now and need engineers like crazy. Actually just about anyone. Any you guys getting out and don’t have anything better to do would be crazy not to.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

LingcodKilla posted:

MSC is taking an absolute hammering right now and need engineers like crazy. Actually just about anyone. Any you guys getting out and don’t have anything better to do would be crazy not to.

See dick sucking factory. However if you want to keep making bad choices, the USCG has an option to convert sea time to a merchant mariners license when you leave. I think pay starts around $500/day as a 3rd and goes up to where I'm at as 1st/chief.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Proust Malone posted:

Look bud, you’re doing that all wrong. Scoot over and let me show you how it’s done.

Now this is the type of thing I could get behind.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

AlternateNu posted:

Yeah. After 15 years, it still blows my mind how much money you "lose" staying on a military installation vs. not, and most of the time it just depends on your paygrade. An IS2 I work with almost got boned out of per diem for his entire MOB, which is $120 per day where I'm at, because his sponsor was an idiot and pulled strings to get him NGIS lodging for his entire time here instead of letting the guy find a place. Luckily, he was able to wiggle out of his reservation and get a flat out in town.
And the flat is fully paid for, since we're all on TDY orders. So, that's literally a near $3600/month pay difference wholly dependent on which side of the gate you sleep on.

in the Seabees there was a non trivial number of Chiefs who made it their mission to eliminate any and all incentive pay for people on orders in the name of 'saving the navy money'. that a thing in the rest of the fleet too?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

lightpole posted:

See dick sucking factory. However if you want to keep making bad choices, the USCG has an option to convert sea time to a merchant mariners license when you leave. I think pay starts around $500/day as a 3rd and goes up to where I'm at as 1st/chief.

Well with all the overtime you guys are getting from being short handed they’ve been keeping us balls deep in beer and liquor.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

lightpole posted:

Now this is the type of thing I could get behind.

Thats a different product, but with this kind of creative ingenuity I can see you moving to a supervisory position relatively quickly.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

maffew buildings posted:

in the Seabees there was a non trivial number of Chiefs who made it their mission to eliminate any and all incentive pay for people on orders in the name of 'saving the navy money'. that a thing in the rest of the fleet too?

That sounds absolutely awful, to be honest. Many of the chiefs I knew were either terrible with money or divorced, so I can't see themselves working to hurt their own pocketbooks by doing such activity. But it sounds like a very Navy thing to do.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

It can not be emphasized enough that in the current incarnation the Seabees are by and large comprised of horrible people. Systematic racism, sexism, sexual harassment and assault and an active effort to eliminate people that do (insert slurs here) like read books or think critically is unfortunately the norm and not discouraged culturally.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
CNN's reporting that BHR is turning into an arson investigation.

If true, buckle up. In port security requirements are gonna get nuts.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
safety stand downs : if you see an oily rag placed next to someone welding SAY SOMETHING!

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

ManMythLegend posted:

Could this end up being like the GW, someone smoking while smoking lamp was out, tossed a butt, and started a fire? Or do you think by arson they mean disgruntled sailor/shipyard worker lighting the place up?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

ManMythLegend posted:

Hooo boy.

ded posted:

safety stand downs : if you see an oily rag placed next to someone welding SAY SOMETHING!

You joke but honestly this is the sort of thing that should get emphasized as VERY VERY BAD instead of unshined shoes or whatever the gently caress.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Aug 27, 2020

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Could this end up being like the GW, someone smoking while smoking lamp was out, tossed a butt, and started a fire? Or do you think by arson they mean disgruntled sailor/shipyard worker lighting the place up?

It's unclear, but using the term arson makes me think the latter.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

maffew buildings posted:

Surface fleet chiefs yeah, one chief was really into trying to made sure nobody combined leave and liberty so that the “Navy wouldn’t get cheated.”

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Surface fleet chiefs yeah, one chief was really into trying to made sure nobody combined leave and liberty so that the “Navy wouldn’t get cheated.”

Why would someone choose to be like this? :confused:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Anita Dickinme posted:

Why would someone choose to be like this? :confused:

Nuclear power runs on happiness transfers. As a result, all of the navy is stuck in an endless cycle trying to feed the reactors. He hates his life so why should anyone else enjoy theirs?

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

Nuclear power runs on happiness transfers. As a result, all of the navy is stuck in an endless cycle trying to feed the reactors. He hates his life so why should anyone else enjoy theirs?

This is why I turned down 100k to spend another year on my boat and then go to shore duty, and just got out instead. Now I get recruiting emails asking me to go back to active duty and I just look at them and laugh at how desperate the Navy is for people.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Or, it could wind up like the Iowa turret explosion scapegoating.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Madurai posted:

Sailor is found after having "committed suicide" and the whole thing is blamed on him and swept under the rug. Sorry DC2.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Madurai posted:

Going to have to look this up. Sounds awful from the post above.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Oh good, another disheartening reminder that I'm old. Iowa was working up to go to the Med in our group when it happened.

Yes, you should absolutely look this up. Everyone in the Nav (or even adjacent to Nav-related things) should familiarize themselves with how this went down.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I wouldn't limit it to the navy or even .mil generally, the Iowa explosion is a case study in how the natural forces of institutional rear end-covering can align to rawdog anyone

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

huh I replied to this thread hours ago and my post is MIA, so there must be a very weird contextless remark about that coverup somewhere else on the forums thanks to awfulapp. Be fun to see where that ended up.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

shame on an IGA posted:

huh I replied to this thread hours ago and my post is MIA, so there must be a very weird contextless remark about that coverup somewhere else on the forums thanks to awfulapp. Be fun to see where that ended up.

One of my all time favorite recurring bugs. How does it happen? Nobody knows exactly! Why doesn't it cause actual errors when it occurs? Radium! Best guess is that the database hickups and since a thread is a list of postid's, somehow when one post vanishes into the void the next few dozen get their post id's decremented so their isn't a null entry in the table. So it winds up in a different thread that someone else posted in at the same time, and their post ends up in a different thread, and the person who they bumped winds up in a different thread, upwards until the null entry is filled.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

in the Seabees the first classes and chiefs got excited to deploy because they would get away from their families and cheat on their wives then they would get super pissed off when it was time to come home. that's definitely the kind of person who will make it their life mission to make everything horrendous for people with any happiness left, starting with tanking their liberty or incentive pay

if one of you idiots could make four star and disband the NCF or give it to the Marines (they tried a couple times but it was rejected due to NCF doing shore duty for facilities stuff) that would be great. buttplug if you're reading this, not you. you loving suck.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Just went down a two hour rabbit hole reading about the Iowa turret. I remember it slightly from DC training but had no idea it was such a poo poo storm investigation.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

IncredibleIgloo posted:

It's worse than you imagine. :(

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

maffew buildings posted:

in the Seabees the first classes and chiefs got excited to deploy because they would get away from their families and cheat on their wives then they would get super pissed off when it was time to come home. that's definitely the kind of person who will make it their life mission to make everything horrendous for people with any happiness left, starting with tanking their liberty or incentive pay

if one of you idiots could make four star and disband the NCF or give it to the Marines (they tried a couple times but it was rejected due to NCF doing shore duty for facilities stuff) that would be great. buttplug if you're reading this, not you. you loving suck.

I went to support a seal platoon in Basra with ISOF and the women in the small seabee detachment all had seal deployment boyfriends from day one. It was all pretty nasty. I ended up hanging out with the local ODA because seals loving suck when there's more than a few of them together.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

maffew buildings posted:

In my experience if your admin is run by a YNC, they'll be all about saving the Navy money, yet a PSC somehow magically has no problem NOT shoving everyone into a rat/asbestos infested barracks AND buying out the entire base rental lot for your small det.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

the last YNC when i was there had serious reading comprehension issues, like, really bad. he fit in really well with The Mess. man i do not miss that outfit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tacopie
Apr 29, 2009

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Time for my occasional recruiting post. If you have ever been interested in working in a data center and are getting out soon, you should look into data center work. If you had a technical or mechanical oriented rate in the Navy, were a nuke of any kind, Gas turbine guy, whatever, something technical, you should think about it. We hire Navy folk like *crazy*. It is not unusual to start lower, at around 60k, but with stocks and bonuses and whatnot to be making 100k+ in a few years. Around 10 years in it is not uncommon to be closing in on 200k. Google gives more pay with bonuses and stock, but Microsoft, Amazon, and Facebook do more direct pay, around 40 an hour or so. I can't help yall with them though. So if you are interested (even you lurkers) send me a PM or if you don't have pms just reply to this post and I will help you out. Here is a list of the data center positions in the US open right now:

https://careers.google.com/jobs/res...rt_by=relevance

Let me know if any of those are something you really want to apply to and contact me first and I can give you an employee referral, which can be helpful. If you have questions about transition from Navy to a data center I can help with that general field as well.

I'll bite. I was supposed to retire in March of next year, and then covid hit, so I moved the date to October, and it's still here and not looking better so I've cancelled my request and am going to do another sea tour.

I don't have PMs but am interested.