Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

They're probably looking for a jr. exec from Hasbro or similar, doesn't have to be an actual RPG company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
There's even a chance that they're not looking for anybody, but as an equal opportunity employer you've got to make sure you post a listing before you hire the white guy you had in mind.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

We believe diversity of experience is fundamental to formulating accessible and fun gaming experiences for all of our players.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

CitizenKeen posted:

There's even a chance that they're not looking for anybody, but as an equal opportunity employer you've got to make sure you post a listing before you hire the white guy you had in mind.

It's probably this, chances are they already have a candidate in mind.

I don't think it's Mearls' job though? He's lead designer or editor or something.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah they're looking for a businessperson, not a game designer.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Angrymog posted:

Is that Mearl's job?

Mearls was, at one point, and probably now, "Lead Designer". This guy probably isn't even his boss, it's probably his bosses boss.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

DalaranJ posted:

Mearls was, at one point, and probably now, "Lead Designer". This guy probably isn't even his boss, it's probably his bosses boss.

So, here's a loose org chart of current D&D Staff:
  • Head of Franchise: Nathan Stewart
  • Head of Publishing and Licensing: Luz Schuh
  • Executive Producer: Ray Winniger
  • Senior Producer: Chris Perkins
  • Design Manager: Steve Scott
  • Franchise Creative Director: Mike Mearls
  • Principal Rules Designer: Jeremy Crawford
  • Game Designer: Dan Dillon
  • Game Designer: Taymoor Rehman
  • Organized Play Lead: Chris Lindsay
  • Digital Marketing Manager: Bart Carroll
  • Community Manager: Brandy Camel

Nathan Stewart was the previous VP and got promoted, so you're probably talking about someone just above Winniger, which is like... probably still 2-3 steps above Mearls.

Toshimo fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Aug 21, 2020

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

Toshimo posted:

So, here's a loose org chart of current D&D Staff:
  • Head of Franchise: Nathan Stewart
  • Head of Publishing and Licensing: Luz Schuh
  • Executive Producer: Ray Winniger
  • Senior Producer: Chris Perkins
  • Design Manager: Steve Scott
  • Franchise Creative Director: Mike Mearls
  • Principal Rules Designer: Jeremy Crawford
  • Game Designer: Dan Dillon
  • Game Designer: Taymoor Rehman
  • Game Designer: Kate Welch
  • Organized Play Lead: Chris Lindsay
  • Digital Marketing Manager: Bart Carroll
  • Community Manager: Brandy Camel

Nathan Stewart was the previous VP and got promoted, so you're probably talking about someone just above Winniger, which is like... probably still 2-3 steps above Mearls.

Sadly, Kate Welch is no longer with WotC.

https://twitter.com/katewelchhhh/status/1294450991673167872?s=19

Edit: that's not a tweet from someone who planned leaving their job.

Eastmabl fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Aug 21, 2020

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

moths posted:

Has D&D ever even had ten consecutive years of being managed?

I'm pretty sure D&D hasn't ever had ten consecutive minutes of being managed.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Eastmabl posted:

Sadly, Kate Welch is no longer with WotC.

Welp, I'm a week behind.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Step 1 in fixing WOTC D&D's diversity problem: lay off the woman.

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

admanb posted:

Step 1 in fixing WOTC D&D's diversity problem: lay off the woman.

That, or she left a very hostile situation.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

I will bear this burden.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Sorry but you didn’t take Skill Focus: Bearing the Burden

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

whydirt posted:

Sorry but you didn’t take Skill Focus: Bearing the Burden

god DAMNIT

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
https://twitter.com/mustangsart/status/1297923818636402689?s=21

The combat wheelchair designer is apparently going to make something for Paizo. Also, she’s not too happy with WotC, but who is?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

thetoughestbean posted:

https://twitter.com/mustangsart/status/1297923818636402689?s=21

The combat wheelchair designer is apparently going to make something for Paizo. Also, she’s not too happy with WotC, but who is?

I agree that WotC could, as always, do much better if they even tried a little bit, but I think the designer is arguing against something that the other tweeter didn’t say. He was talking about the length of the text, not how long it takes to prepare the content.

I don’t know why a 2-page spread is implausible for this sort of thing, mind you.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Subjunctive posted:

I agree that WotC could, as always, do much better if they even tried a little bit, but I think the designer is arguing against something that the other tweeter didn’t say. He was talking about the length of the text, not how long it takes to prepare the content.

I don’t know why a 2-page spread is implausible for this sort of thing, mind you.

She might be but also that guy’s some rando paternalistically talking down to her so I don’t think he deserves a decent response anyways

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

thetoughestbean posted:

She might be but also that guy’s some rando paternalistically talking down to her so I don’t think he deserves a decent response anyways

Oh, I didn’t know if he was Someone, since I am bad at staying current with the dramatis personae of this industry. If he’s just sniping then yeah, gently caress that guy.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
"If you can make your thing take up a small amount of space so it's easy to slip in to whatever goes to print next for diversity points then maybe you'll get taken seriously"

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Glad to hear Paizo is doing this. I don't expect them to turn into a decent corporation (as decent as a corporation can be, at least) overnight, but it's a good first step.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I’m all in favor of brevity in RPG rules, but that’s orthogonal to putting in accessibility material.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
“Ugh, you need to keep your rules short.” I say in a discussion explicitly about 5e D&D and 2e Pathfinder.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Paizo already had basic rules for a normal wheelchair, so putting in a magic version seems like just par for the course.

DalaranJ posted:

“Ugh, you need to keep your rules short.” I say in a discussion explicitly about 5e D&D and 2e Pathfinder.

For Pathfinder 2e, it's really about efficiency, not length. The rule book is huge, but they put a lot of effort into making any individual ability or magic item about as concise as it can get without being totally unevocative.

With that said, having looked at the combat wheelchair writeup, there are a ton of places where, if writing it for PF2, a good technical editor could crunch the mechanics down a lot without losing anything, mainly because it's written in the rambling 5e style but also because 5e is just straight-up missing a lot of generic mechanics it could otherwise use.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Aug 26, 2020

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

paradoxGentleman posted:

Glad to hear Paizo is doing this. I don't expect them to turn into a decent corporation (as decent as a corporation can be, at least) overnight, but it's a good first step.

Interestingly enough, it looks like only a portion of Paizo is a corporation (and only since 2014). Its publishing arm is an LLC.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

LLC stands for Limited Liability Corporation

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

Leperflesh posted:

LLC stands for Limited Liability Corporation

LLC stands for "limited liability company."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limited_liability_company?wprov=sfla1

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

It depends on the state, you loving goons.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

nope Eastmabl is correct and I was dead wrong. LLCs are not corporations. Gonna leave that embarrassing evidence of correcting someone incorrectly up there for all to see.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Me, walking a beautifully gift wrapped ticking box up to the thread:

That pledge Wizards of the Coast made to be less lovely about race looks like it's being followed up on in Tasha's Cauldron of Everything:

https://www.reddit.com/r/dndleaks/comments/ifwgvl/everything_we_know_about_tashas_cauldron_of/

They're producing a variant rule system called "The Lineage system"

quote:

New Lineage System allows new customization of characters, including ability score modifiers, disentangling personal traits from cultural traits

Players can create completely new custom lineages disconnected from anything in the Players' Handbook with a "fill in the blanks" template

Removal of negative racial modifiers from Kobold and Orc from Volo's Guide to Monsters in updated, presumably reprinted, versions.

Lineage System removes racial prerequisites for feats

Races from the Players Handbook are considered the archetypal version of those races, but the new origins let you create exceptional members of that race. You can apply your ability score bonuses however you like.

I don't see any recent updates to the Adventurer's League rules around the PHB+1 limitation that might kneecap this, but maybe they're waiting for it to release before they change anything? I know in the current rules the racial variant rules are permitted separately from the full supplement restrictions.

quote:

Step 1: Choose a Race and Class
Forgotten Realms characters can choose race and class options from the Player’s Handbook and one other resource—a rule called “PHB+1.” Additional resources include the following products:
•Elemental Evil Player’s Companion (EEPC)
•Sword Coast Adventurer’s Guide (SCAG)
•Volo’s Guide to Monsters (VGM)
•Xanathar’s Guide to Everything (XGE)1
•Mordenkainen’s Tome of Foes (ToF)2
•Locathah Rising (LR)

Additionally, when selecting an additional source, the following variant or optional rules are available when you create your character:
•Variant Human Traits (PHB)
•Half-Elf and Tiefling Variants (SCAG/ToF)
•Option: Human Languages (SCAG)3
•Blessing of Corellon (ToF)3

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

Having to create arcane combination limitations for official play because you can't be bothered to balance your stuff is like, peak 5E.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Nuns with Guns posted:

Me, walking a beautifully gift wrapped ticking box up to the thread:

That pledge Wizards of the Coast made to be less lovely about race looks like it's being followed up on in Tasha's Cauldron of Everything:

https://www.reddit.com/r/dndleaks/comments/ifwgvl/everything_we_know_about_tashas_cauldron_of/

They're producing a variant rule system called "The Lineage system"

I don't see any recent updates to the Adventurer's League rules around the PHB+1 limitation that might kneecap this, but maybe they're waiting for it to release before they change anything? I know in the current rules the racial variant rules are permitted separately from the full supplement restrictions.

This would, presumably, be in the same wheelhouse as the variant human/half-elf/tiefling traits. But yeah, Adventurer's league seems to be purpose built so that you can't make something too fun.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Ultiville posted:

Having to create arcane combination limitations for official play because you can't be bothered to balance your stuff is like, peak 5E.

That's not why PHB+1 exists.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Toshimo posted:

It is the only reason it exists

And honestly Tasha's, like a bunch of stuff, probably just won't make it to AL

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Darwinism posted:

It is the only reason it exists

And honestly Tasha's, like a bunch of stuff, probably just won't make it to AL

Tasha's will almost assuredly be in AL. They are specifically reprinting stuff from other books that aren't AL legal.

The only sourcebook stuff that isn't AL legal is books from "outside" sources. Ravnica, Theros, Wildemount. Which are the only sourcebooks with character options they've been releasing recently until Tasha's

If you are in an Eberron AL game you can use the Eberron book.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Toshimo posted:

Yes it is (it's certainly not to cut down on how many books the DM has to know, because there's nothing stopping everyone from using a different +1 and they probably will use most of the books)

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
PHB+1 exists to make entry easier by making it so that players don't feel pressured by splat creep. That's always been the case. I don't know where you guys got the wrong idea from, but this ain't it, boss.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Toshimo posted:

PHB+1 exists to make entry easier by making it so that players don't feel pressured by splat creep. That's always been the case. I don't know where you guys got the wrong idea from, but this ain't it, boss.

Presumably WotC publishes books to get people to buy them, that is literally against WotC's financial interest. So I gotta say, I am pretty skeptical of that reasoning.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Capfalcon posted:

Presumably WotC publishes books to get people to buy them, that is literally against WotC's financial interest. So I gotta say, I am pretty skeptical of that reasoning.

The AL admins have said this multiple times.

AL is an entry point. They don't have a full setup like PFS because they expect you to use AL as a jumping-off point to get into homebrew.

So, they make it simple and easy to get into. Getting into PFS1 was daunting and almost hostile because splat creep was so bad. Vets would tell you to get a character builder, map out a plan, then buy the 4-6 splats you needed to make that happen, and PFS was abundantly clear that you needed to be able to show proof-of-purchase at any time. So, if you wanted to play something complex, you could be looking at a stack of books over $100.

AL specifically wanted to juxtapose them to that, so they made it so (a) you never needed more than 2 books and (b) you didn't actually need any books, because proof-of-purchase wasn't required. Just borrow your friend's book.

The whole "people need to buy books" argument falls immediately apart when you get to the part where they don't require ownership of books to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Toshimo posted:

The AL admins have said this multiple times.

AL is an entry point. They don't have a full setup like PFS because they expect you to use AL as a jumping-off point to get into homebrew.

So, they make it simple and easy to get into. Getting into PFS1 was daunting and almost hostile because splat creep was so bad. Vets would tell you to get a character builder, map out a plan, then buy the 4-6 splats you needed to make that happen, and PFS was abundantly clear that you needed to be able to show proof-of-purchase at any time. So, if you wanted to play something complex, you could be looking at a stack of books over $100.

AL specifically wanted to juxtapose them to that, so they made it so (a) you never needed more than 2 books and (b) you didn't actually need any books, because proof-of-purchase wasn't required. Just borrow your friend's book.

The whole "people need to buy books" argument falls immediately apart when you get to the part where they don't require ownership of books to play.

Except then the "it's so you don't have to buy a bunch of books" reasoning for the rule falls apart because they don't require ownership of books to play.