Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

BMan posted:

:negative:

I hope you didn't buy mag and volt yet, that's just silly

I didnt yet! ill hold off since i got nidus and ember

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

queeb posted:

I didnt yet! ill hold off since i got nidus and ember

They're both super easy frames to get, definitely save your platinum.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Prop Wash posted:

And there is a way to get to see the mech’s back solo - play Wukong and you’re never lonely! Kind of a shame if you wanted Nekros for that extra loot drop though, Wukong does have loot boost in his passive but lol at setting that up.

I haven't tried the update yet, but for the other bosses with vulnerable spots on their backs (the Sarge, Sargas) I always go with Loki and just use Decoy to get them looking the way I want. Thinking about it, I should have tried that on the bloody Ropalolyst too, but I'm past him now.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
I'm just grabbing a few grandma tokens since I have the sneaking suspicion they're going to be needed for one of the higher ranks.

Otherwise, Deimos seems cool. Apart from some general first day bugginess it's been loads of fun after I figure out how everything worked. But maybe i'm a bit more biased in favor of it because I enjoyed the starter quest.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I really like the Entrati family themselves and the deep dive Void lore stuff, but everything else about this update has been a disappointment.

Conservation is badly broken, mining is technically functional but the majority of mining spots are buried in the geometry.

The regular bounty missions are mostly business as usual but a few of the new ones take an unreasonably long time and clearly either weren't tested with solo players (e.g. enemies barely spawn and have to be baited or CC'd into the cauldron area) or weren't tested at all.

The Necramech boss fights in Isolation Vaults are miserable. I ran out of ammo fighting one, because they take no damage outside of their weak points and the third weak point is on their back, which they basically never show you when you're playing alone. Some of it was my weapon choice -- I had a fairly ammo-hungry explosive weapon, and then a secondary without Ammo Mutation -- but that isn't really an excuse. They're an escalation of DE's "let's make a nigh-invulnerable wall of meat and make you shoot it for 5 minutes" mini-boss design and it's really bad and boring.

The introductory mission was passable but no-parkour forced stealth and "oops, no warframes, get in this slow clunky mech and walk across half the map" were pretty lame.

The token and rank-up system essentially requires you to do every activity and you have much less room than in Fortuna or Cetus to pick and choose the activities you enjoy doing, plus the turn-in process itself is just unnecessarily complicated and slow as you check every single turn-in mission by hand to see if you meet the requirements or not.

e: this last bit is almost certainly due to Covid-19 making in-person mocap and studio recording more difficult, and not really DE's fault, but it's also very noticeable how many fewer voice lines there are and how a lot of the codec scenes use a canned idle animation

As far as I can make out the only activity you can't skip completely is conservation. And while I sympathize with your mech troubles, running vaults solo is kind of an edge case. In both vaults I ran the mechs just evaporated when accompanied by confused pubbies. Though I have no idea if there was any trick involved.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Does anyone know how to actually get that "upload all the data" bounty bonus objective? There's no real indication as to what the upload rate is affected by. The Grineer one also seems really tough unless you have volt or revenant or something constantly killing everything the instant it pops up.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

There are a few issues I take with the new area but I'm confident they will be fixed/mitigated over time. The only one that really stands out as a permanent problem is visibility. I can barely even see basic enemies in the drift. They really blend into the background and it doesn't help that half the terrain itself is moving. Couldn't be farther from the enemy readability in Orb Vallis.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

genericnick posted:

As far as I can make out the only activity you can't skip completely is conservation. And while I sympathize with your mech troubles, running vaults solo is kind of an edge case. In both vaults I ran the mechs just evaporated when accompanied by confused pubbies. Though I have no idea if there was any trick involved.

Playing Warframe solo isn't an edge case.

As to activities, you need tokens from every family member to rank up, and you can only get tokens by doing the corresponding activity. None of them are skippable (admittedly I haven't seen Otak or Grandmother's tokens required for a rank-up yet, so maybe mining is an exception, but probably not).

Once you've finished ranking up and are just farming rep you have somewhat more flexibility but you take a hit to efficiency since getting Grandmother's tokens require a mix of everyone else's tokens.

e: the rank up process isn't actually that different from Cetus or Fortuna rank-ups (man, it's been a while), it's just that the token system effectively multiplies the amount of effort you have to put in to get the resources vs. the extremely trivial amounts of everything you need for those syndicates

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Aug 26, 2020

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø
So Destiny and ESO are doing dumb things, I need a new fix. Is the op reasonably up to date? Any cheap starter packs that will make ~everything betterer~ for a bit or should I worry about stuff like that later? I'm prepared to be confused and showered in weird currencies.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I'd call it about same, corpus off-whites, beiges, steels and blues merge really well into the Vallis and infested organ clown vomit merges really well into the organ clown vomit of the Drift. And I mean that this is bad in both cases.

I have to say that my first bounty on the Drift felt a lot like a constant dolon fight in terms of eye strain, it's hard to explain but it really felt like it was loving with my eyes.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Playing Warframe solo isn't an edge case.

As to activities, you need tokens from every family member to rank up, and you can only get tokens by doing the corresponding activity. None of them are skippable (admittedly I haven't seen Otak or Grandmother's tokens required for a rank-up yet, so maybe mining is an execption, but probably not). Once you've finished ranking up and are just farming rep you have somewhat more flexibility but you take a hit to efficiency since getting Grandmother's tokens require a mix of everyone else's tokens.

What I mean is that Vaults drop mining and fishing resources. You still have to press a dad or daughter button, but that's it.
For all I know the mech's HP doesn't scale with player number, which would on its own explain our disparate experiences. There might also be a hard counter to them that one of the pubbies lucked into, but idk.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

genericnick posted:

What I mean is that Vaults drop mining and fishing resources. You still have to press a dad or daughter button, but that's it.
For all I know the mech's HP doesn't scale with player number, which would on its own explain our disparate experiences. There might also be a hard counter to them that one of the pubbies lucked into, but idk.

Ohh, okay. That helps a lot actually, I only did 2-3 vaults before writing them off and was mostly just paying attention to the direct end-of-mission rewards.

e: I think they might be explosion-immune, which is incredibly lame. I was getting a little damage with my primary but I bet it was the lingering fire from Nightwatch Napalm and not the explosion. (It's also really aggressively scaled; this is a gun that does 5-digit damage normally and 3-4 digits on the DoT doing 30-50 per tick instead.)

But on the other hand a full ammo pack of all-maxed-mods, rivened out Rattleguts fire shouldn't leave an enemy standing, that's just stupid. Even if you don't run out of ammo that kind of TTK is bad enough gameplay by itself.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Aug 26, 2020

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I like the flower people. :kiddo:

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Mining is a mess, the nodes are either invisible, or buried in geometry, or, bonus, BOTH.

Conservation is... I mean it is but holy poo poo getting son tokens takes forever. It feels like you have to capture an entire loving zoo for one token. What the poo poo?

Haven't done the vaults and poo poo yet. Haven't touched the mechs. Trying to get rank 3 ASAP for Helminth but DE wants me to suffer.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

The cave just to the left of the necralisk exit has, 2 of 4 times I checked, spawned a son token (and a daughter, father, and sometimes mother token). My usual PETA crew hasn't been on at the same time yet so group conservation efforts may be faster but I'd bet reloading the overworld will still be a close second.

andyf
May 18, 2008

happy car is happy

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Ohh, okay. That helps a lot actually, I only did 2-3 vaults before writing them off and was mostly just paying attention to the direct end-of-mission rewards.

e: I think they might be explosion-immune, which is incredibly lame. I was getting a little damage with my primary but I bet it was the lingering fire from Nightwatch Napalm and not the explosion. (It's also really aggressively scaled; this is a gun that does 5-digit damage normally and 3-4 digits on the DoT doing 30-50 per tick instead.)

But on the other hand a full ammo pack of all-maxed-mods, rivened out Rattleguts fire shouldn't leave an enemy standing, that's just stupid. Even if you don't run out of ammo that kind of TTK is bad enough gameplay by itself.

Pretty happy I wasn't the only one who had a bad time with the vaults fight, honestly thought I was doing something wrong when I was failing to kill the mech for ages.

Partly my fault for bringing an incomplete warframe + weapon build with me, but I'm super glad I had Larkspur as my archgun, as the damage from it would wrap around and hit the weak point.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Someone in chat mentioned that Deimos has a lot of enemies that are immune to virus procs specifically, though I haven't checked. That might also explain a lot.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

genericnick posted:

Someone in chat mentioned that Deimos has a lot of enemies that are immune to virus procs specifically, though I haven't checked. That might also explain a lot.

That would explain why I'm killing level 50 deimos stuff slower than level 100 grineer.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

genericnick posted:

:shepface:

Well, if that's the problem then at least it has an easy enough solution.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i don't know if it would be viral procs specifically as much as it might just be most status things. the big wigglers in particular seem resistant to a lot in general other than raw damage.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

I liked the quest missions and the rep system seems pretty fine and good aside from conservation and probably a couple recipes and maybe rank up things that I haven't looked at yet needing to be tweaked to have a slightly lower cost. I only did one bounty but dad tokens initially seem like they're worth very little if I'm going to need a bunch of those trade in parts to build mechs, etc.

Visibility in the drift could be better but I loving love the design of that area, and the new infested monsters.

how are people liking the whole rearranging underground bits, is that the necrobot vaults area?

There's a good amount of stuff here, I had a lot of fun with the new 'compete with your grineer friends over who can kill the most infested' bounty step.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

valuum posted:

So Destiny and ESO are doing dumb things, I need a new fix. Is the op reasonably up to date? Any cheap starter packs that will make ~everything betterer~ for a bit or should I worry about stuff like that later? I'm prepared to be confused and showered in weird currencies.

The main barrier to getting to the parts of the game you want and having fun IMHO is just getting stuff like frames, mods and weapons.

Most of that can be trivialized by buying plat and then buying all of that crap from other players, though a good bit of it you can mooch off of other players in the clan.

So buy plat if you want to skip a lot of grinding.

Once again this is totally just my option but the current nova and trinity pack might be a good start. Two good frames and a lot of plat to play with. But skip the starter pack since you can get all those mods as gifts from clan mates or just playing the game for a few hours.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

valuum posted:

I wouldn't worry about paying for anything now. You get a bit of currency when you start and you won't need more until you start accumulating frames and gear. You might want to spring for a colour palette or two at some point, but it's not essential. Once you've burned through your starter plat on slots, you should have an idea of how much you'll want to spend.

e; but DO get a goon to give you some basic essential weapon and frame mods, it will make things much faster and funner.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Johnny Joestar posted:

i don't know if it would be viral procs specifically as much as it might just be most status things. the big wigglers in particular seem resistant to a lot in general other than raw damage.

It's mostly just viral. I think one or two things are immune to slash procs (the "dropships" come to mind), but as far as I can tell corrosive and heat both work on everything.

valuum posted:

Any cheap starter packs that will make ~everything betterer~ for a bit or should I worry about stuff like that later?

Worry about it later.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Infested are traditionally weak to Gas, although Corrosive might still be the right call given some of the new enemies are armored.

Ancients used to have an aura effect that gave increased Gas resistance and made it pointless to use but that got removed with the same patch that overhauled Infested damage.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Yeah, everything that's weak to gas will die to a stiff breeze/is also weak to heat, so just build for the stuff that actually puts up a fight.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

my gas-modded balefire on hildryn seems to easily chunk up deimos enemies even during tier 5 bounties, barring the big wigglers and whatever the weird bipod things with the shoulder weak points are called, and in the cases of those i can usually brute force them down with it anyways or just switch to another weapon.

if nothing else they all seem to fold easily enough if you're willing to mix things up a bit. i'm kind of pleasantly surprised.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Protea's turret rips these new infested to shreds and can reach incredibly high multipliers since there's swarms of them all the time.

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here

Soothing Vapors posted:

They hotfixed the hunting grind out like 18 hours ago and they made it clear from day 1 that Helminth was locked behind Entrati Rank 3

I feel like if they were clear about it I would have not had to go onto Discord, ask, not receive an answer, then resort to Google to figure out why the door wasn't opening.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

For a game that prides itself on moving and killing everything quickly, the continued inability to skip dialogue is so puzzling. Sure, there isn't much to deal beyond these big content updates, but it still drives me a little crazy.

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

Vargs posted:

I kinda hate Mag's new Magnetize thing, ngl. The regular version is a lot more useful but is incredibly awkward to cast now if you use the option to reverse tap/hold controls. I could switch it back to the default, but then it's awkward to do poo poo like use Ivara's arrows or Wisp's motes. Really wish you could set it per-frame.

Personally, I hate all of the tap-or-hold abilities b/c they produce the wrong effects too often (particularly in a laggy environment). The cycling variety is even worse, as even under ideal conditions, I must I frequently redirect my focus on some tiny icon.

I'd love if I could reassign the 'second function' to some other button.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
They really should just pop the symbol of what you're toggling to by the reticule so you don't have to shift your attention.

I actually really like the tap/hold ability function. There's enough of a gap between the activations that I never feel I'm miscasting something. I do wish they'd have made the Equinox Helminth ability tap/hold. Chroma-style colour mandating is trash for aesthetics.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

They should let us customise crosshairs as well. It drives me mad trying to see a 1 pixel white dot on a white background to aim my sniper amp.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

I genuinely hate the tap/hold system because I use wheeldown to change power and wheelup to cast it and you can't hold wheelup so now I have to take my hand off movement to use whatever thing they've made it do. I can't check right now but is the hold function mappable to a other button entirely?

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Kokoro Wish posted:

They really should just pop the symbol of what you're toggling to by the reticule so you don't have to shift your attention.

I actually really like the tap/hold ability function. There's enough of a gap between the activations that I never feel I'm miscasting something. I do wish they'd have made the Equinox Helminth ability tap/hold. Chroma-style colour mandating is trash for aesthetics.

They should also group up some health, shields, energy and ammo indicators near the reticule, or at least make it an option, like HL2 had.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Is Deimos conservation kind of slapshod right now? Not like mining in the "they didn't think this through"-sense but in the "doesn't work"-sense? Stuff isn't by icons on the map, trails don't appear etc?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Pierson posted:

Is Deimos conservation kind of slapshod right now? Not like mining in the "they didn't think this through"-sense but in the "doesn't work"-sense? Stuff isn't by icons on the map, trails don't appear etc?

Yeah. Especially for the bird-things. There are conservation points that disappear when you get close to them, that are stuck inside geometry and can't be activated, that send you into caves to catch airborne critters, that don't spawn footprints for tracking. In Cetus and Fortuna there's always at least one animal spawn of each type, in Deimos that isn't true.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Aug 26, 2020

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I'm dreading trying to get 5 tags for the bird things for the next rank. It would be cool if at least one of the points for them worked correctly but nope

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm not going to rank up until they sort this stuff out. I just started Profit Taker so I can grind that for a while instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Gonkish posted:

Conservation is... I mean it is but holy poo poo getting son tokens takes forever. It feels like you have to capture an entire loving zoo for one token. What the poo poo?

In addition to fixing the general bugs with Deimos conservation, I really feel like they need to severely cut down on the Son Tokens that require tags from multiple breeds. There's several species of animal and then several breeds within each species and he seems to only ever want a bunch of arcane combinations. I think he should at least trade tokens for tags of any breed of a particular species, or maybe a few token offers that want a small number of tags from one specific breed. The combinations are brutal though, worse than the tag quantities.