Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Tried Brutal Doom and I don’t think I like playing it. Feels like too much of a departure of what makes Doom “Doom”. I know I can adjust it to how I like it but that kinda defeats the purpose. It’s cool to look that though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
In that case PB's even more of a departure, especially considering its randomization elements.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

DisDisDis posted:

round 6 in there is a completely insane and obtuse map worth watching the individual round results for, by smile who also authored one of the maps in january jumpjam i believe

This is great.

Smilecythe also did the first map for that Finnish mappers episode, which was a hmmm interesting choice for an opener. Turned a lot of folks off, but IMO it's worth buckling down and figuring it out, pretty satisfying.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Tim Thomas posted:

god i wish there was a new UT

i understand that epic is presently much preferring rolling in their filthy lucre from their tech-demo-turned-mega-hit, but c'mon, give us UT2020 with the career mechanics of a 2K NBA game please

Yeah, shallow as it was I did like the team management thing that 2k4 had.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

They should have just released Unreal Championship Manager games

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Barudak posted:

They should have just released Unreal Championship Manager games

Hell I'd play 'em

I think there was some game on Steam at some point where you were managing a MMO raid group, forgot the name, but I was interested in that..

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
pistol (well, shotgun) starting quake 1 vanilla campaign on NM at the moment, is it just me or is episode 3 just not designed for it? e1 and e2 were fine (apart from e2m6 which i ended up skipping, watched a vid of someone doing it and they had to use the first shambler's lightning attack to knock themselves to the elevator and bypass most of the level) but e3 is being stingy as gently caress with actually giving me weapons

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

koren posted:

The french community have put out a beta for their community megawad 180 minutes pour Livre. There's a clear difficulty progression throughout for those who are into that and there isn't a duffer in the set imo. The maps themselves are all pretty short and some of them are really hard. There's two new monsters which are unique to this set and honestly quite good: A cacodemon that shoots a rapid fire string of imp fireballs and follows it up with a massive volley of mancubus fireballs and the Heresiarch from heretic who shoots a gigantic wall of projectiles in a wide arc around themselves. The new cacodemon variant is particularly good because it has roughly the same amount of health as a normal cacodemon and the relatively high pain chance means you can interrupt their attacks before the really dangerous volley if you are fast enough.
Played through a bunch of the levels from this one this morning and heartily recommend it - appreciate the short level lengths a lot after coming hot off BTSX 1+2 last week. Also the music is really good and reminds me of CPS2 games like X-Men vs Street Fighter!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Stunt_enby posted:

fun fact they brought him on as a consultant for do4m
Incorrect. It was ROTT 2013 that advertised bringing Mark on as "gore consulatant", but his computer at the time was too poo poo to run the game (though to be fair, ROTT 2013 is so poorly optimised it's accidentally the new Crysis and it will take quantum computing to get a consistent 60fps out of it) so he didn't really end up doing anything beyond name recognition. His involvement with Doom 2016 mostly entailed being really mad about them "ripping off" his mod with the Glory Kills, despite them being very different executions (haa!) of the same basic concept.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Tried Brutal Doom and I don’t think I like playing it. Feels like too much of a departure of what makes Doom “Doom”. I know I can adjust it to how I like it but that kinda defeats the purpose. It’s cool to look that though.
BD is definitely more punishing than vanilla Doom, with higher damage output and less or no windup on enemy attacks. As such, a lot of maps become either much harder or borderline impossible with BD due to them being built with the assumptions of vanilla gameplay. There was a period where BD fans would pester the developers of mapsets and other mods to make them BD-compatible, which furthered the process of Mark making little in the way of friends among his modding peers.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

The Kins posted:

Incorrect. It was ROTT 2013 that advertised bringing Mark on as "gore consulatant", but his computer at the time was too poo poo to run the game (though to be fair, ROTT 2013 is so poorly optimised it's accidentally the new Crysis and it will take quantum computing to get a consistent 60fps out of it) so he didn't really end up doing anything beyond name recognition. His involvement with Doom 2016 mostly entailed being really mad about them "ripping off" his mod with the Glory Kills, despite them being very different executions (haa!) of the same basic concept.

Ha, ROTT 2013 is usually one of the first games I try when upgrading my computer and I've never managed to get it running well. I have no idea what they did to UE3 to make it run like that. Even loving Cryostasis runs at 60fps on this machine and that's legendarily poorly optimised.

Also on the topic of optimisation, eduke32 and Ion Maiden have recently gotten patches to fix the terrible jerkiness issues. Apparently this was because input was polled according to the in-game tickrate or something which meant it never ran smoothly on my machine(s) regardless of settings. Now it's pretty much flawless which is nice! A shame about the... issues with the developers as Ion Maiden is actually really fun now they've balanced it more.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Convex posted:

Ha, ROTT 2013 is usually one of the first games I try when upgrading my computer and I've never managed to get it running well. I have no idea what they did to UE3 to make it run like that. Even loving Cryostasis runs at 60fps on this machine and that's legendarily poorly optimised.

I have a vague understanding of what they did wrong, if I interpreted it correctly. They built the levels seemingly out of building blocks rather then a typical block out mesh, somewhat like how Turok levels work oddly enough. This process is unfit for UE3 because it causes it to draw far more than it should.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

koren posted:

The french community have put out a beta for their community megawad 180 minutes pour Livre.

But the last WAD I played was already French as gently caress

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Rocket Pan posted:

I have a vague understanding of what they did wrong, if I interpreted it correctly. They built the levels seemingly out of building blocks rather then a typical block out mesh, somewhat like how Turok levels work oddly enough. This process is unfit for UE3 because it causes it to draw far more than it should.

That's interesting. So I guess it's not something that could be patched easily as the foundation of the game is just functionally flawed?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Convex posted:

That's interesting. So I guess it's not something that could be patched easily as the foundation of the game is just functionally flawed?

They'd have to remake the maps, yeah

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yeah, shallow as it was I did like the team management thing that 2k4 had.

a game that's basically Football Manager but for sci-fi gladiatorial combat would be incredible, honestly

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

:ughh:

The Donut
Aug 28, 2008

Zelensky's Zealots
Soiled Meat

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

a game that's basically Football Manager but for sci-fi gladiatorial combat would be incredible, honestly

Seconding this, why hasn't it been done already?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

kirbysuperstar posted:

Couldn't that be done automatically, taking the level and merging its static geometry, then some optimization passes on the resulting merged mesh?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

If screaming at your AI flag runner being a dipshit who went out partying the night before forcing you to use an emergency backup who doesn't know this map that well is wrong just shut down videogames.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Tim Thomas posted:

it warms my heart that doom is probably the most progressive game/fanbase in existence ITYOOL 2020
I don't know if I would go that far. I think Doom's situation has more to do with 20+ uninterrupted years of being basically free from any commercial pressures or technological treadmills or battles to be won. There's little reason for dumb assholes to stick around very long.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away

Linguica posted:

I don't know if I would go that far. I think Doom's situation has more to do with 20+ uninterrupted years of being basically free from any commercial pressures or technological treadmills or battles to be won. There's little reason for dumb assholes to stick around very long.

that’s fair! I’m not aware of, say, the humanity of the net hack community so your comment tracks

actually, here’s a crosstab I wanna see: what’s the typical rate of homophobia/transphobia/misogyny in the open source community at large vs doom

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

Couldn't that be done automatically, taking the level and merging its static geometry, then some optimization passes on the resulting merged mesh?

Potentially, I think? But would they at this point?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The Kins posted:

BD is definitely more punishing than vanilla Doom, with higher damage output and less or no windup on enemy attacks. As such, a lot of maps become either much harder or borderline impossible with BD due to them being built with the assumptions of vanilla gameplay. There was a period where BD fans would pester the developers of mapsets and other mods to make them BD-compatible, which furthered the process of Mark making little in the way of friends among his modding peers.

That’s hilarious and I hope most of those mappers didn’t cave. I feel like the simplicity of Doom’s vanilla gameplay and tools is a major reason for its longevity.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I once again recommend trying Project Brutality before giving up on Brutal Doom, something about that is a lot more forgiving. Also consider this mod, Particle Based Tracers which makes things like the Shotgun and Chaingun dudes not be hitscan anymore which imo goes a LONG way to making Doom gameplay more fun.

What appeals to me about Project Brutality is the beefiness of the shooting. I've been going down a rabbit hole of FPS games lately, looking for games that are equally beefy. So far some of the things I've discovered are Quake 1.5 and Wolfenstein: The New Order, and obviously the newer Dooms.. Dusk is also pretty good in this area. Immortal Redneck felt like poo poo, I really thought I was going to like that one. I plan on firing up F.E.A.R. pretty soon. Having gone through all the Unreal Tournaments, its clear that UT99 is still the best of them all by a pretty significant margin. I wanted to play Quake but I did not enjoy Quake Champions and the bots for Quake 3 feel like absolute poo poo after you've played UT99.

I wish someone would make Nuclear Throne in first person.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I’ll give it another try once I finish more vanilla stuff. I’m still pretty new to playing Doom and not stopping after playing the first few levels of Knee Deep.

Sound design and power of the weapons is what brought me back to retro shooters in the first place. Everything feels so weak in most modern shooters.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Vlambeer made Gun Godz which is free on itch and Steam. It's not a rogue like IIRC but is probably the closest to FPS Nuclear Throne you'll get.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

I once again recommend trying Project Brutality before giving up on Brutal Doom, something about that is a lot more forgiving. Also consider this mod, Particle Based Tracers which makes things like the Shotgun and Chaingun dudes not be hitscan anymore which imo goes a LONG way to making Doom gameplay more fun.

What appeals to me about Project Brutality is the beefiness of the shooting. I've been going down a rabbit hole of FPS games lately, looking for games that are equally beefy. So far some of the things I've discovered are Quake 1.5 and Wolfenstein: The New Order, and obviously the newer Dooms.. Dusk is also pretty good in this area. Immortal Redneck felt like poo poo, I really thought I was going to like that one. I plan on firing up F.E.A.R. pretty soon. Having gone through all the Unreal Tournaments, its clear that UT99 is still the best of them all by a pretty significant margin. I wanted to play Quake but I did not enjoy Quake Champions and the bots for Quake 3 feel like absolute poo poo after you've played UT99.

Rage 2 isn't a very good game but nu-id did the shooting part of it so I did pretty much everything on account of how fun the combat was. Might also want to check out the Shadow Warrior games. The first one has good swordplay but not the best gunplay, the second greatly improved on that regard but has samey procgen levels and overly fiddly rpg mechanics.

E: Oh and whether or not you like how BD plays, Bolognese is the best gore mod and works with pretty much everything. I've also played campaigns with Nashgore but prefer the former's chunks.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Aug 25, 2020

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

https://golden-epsilon.itch.io/nuclear-throne-3d

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
The monkey paw closes :stare:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

The Donut posted:

well, after saying that, I started poking at the idea and I realized why pretty quick.

first off, you essentially have to make an entire, well-balanced game... that nobody would be able to actually play, because they'd be 100% engaging with it through their AI team. this is already sort of a disheartening idea. you could just rip off Quake 3 or UT2k4 or something, which makes this a lot easier and sort of strips out the problem of "why can't you play it" (because if you wanted to, you'd be playing that and not this), but

this leaves problem #2, which is coming up with AI bots that are not only good enough to pass for a human, but also granular enough in their skill and parameters for any two players to be easy to differentiate from each other, which is one hell of a coding task in and of itself

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

The Donut posted:

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

well, after saying that, I started poking at the idea and I realized why pretty quick.

first off, you essentially have to make an entire, well-balanced game... that nobody would be able to actually play, because they'd be 100% engaging with it through their AI team. this is already sort of a disheartening idea. you could just rip off Quake 3 or UT2k4 or something, which makes this a lot easier and sort of strips out the problem of "why can't you play it" (because if you wanted to, you'd be playing that and not this), but

this leaves problem #2, which is coming up with AI bots that are not only good enough to pass for a human, but also granular enough in their skill and parameters for any two players to be easy to differentiate from each other, which is one hell of a coding task in and of itself

This is basically the Carnage Heart series, as well as Armored Core: Formula Front

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

Yeah it would probably be difficult to make its own standalone thing, but it is a fun layer to put on top of otherwise standard botmatches. It's more about establishing a narrative for your "team" than actually being a realistic simulation of some kind of future bloodsport. Something like if one of your teammates gets gibbed particularly hard they get "injured" and they're out for the next few matches. It would definitely have to be an engaging arena shooter on its own merits, though.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It's more about establishing a narrative for your "team" than actually being a realistic simulation of some kind of future bloodsport. Something like if one of your teammates gets gibbed particularly hard they get "injured" and they're out for the next few matches.

honestly, if I decided to actually poke at this any further, I'd probably use a different framing so that, instead of it being an actual future-bloodsport, you're essentially managing an esports team.

the most obvious angle here would be expandability/modularity: it introduces the obvious expansion angle of "more games to simulate/compete in." maybe the base game could be an arena shooter, and then expansions could add a MOBA, a more pseudo-realistic CS/Siege/Valorant-type shooter, an RTS, or what have you if it takes off.

setting aside :capitalism: motives, though, it also makes the quoted idea easier to achieve, because you're not having to establish a narrative specifically through the combat itself. the players are, rather than larger-than-life future bloodsport badasses, just regular people who are good at video game, and would have regular people drama and regular people injuries/illnesses.

for example: you're the coach of the Austin Dinosaurs, a relatively middling team. there's a 5v5 CTF tournament coming up on the schedule, and you want to sign the team up because winning will be a big boost to your cred (and, as a result, your finances and opportunities). however, everyone else in the tourney is punching decently above your weight class, so you set the training to be intense and rigorous for the week leading up to it and cut breaks from "full meals and 8 hours of sleep" to "meals consisting of Cheetos and Mountain Dew during training and maximum 1-hour naps," in the hopes that you can eke some extra performance out of your players. then your flag runner gets an RSI the day before the tourney as a result of this, meaning he'll be out for at least a month and you have to pull in a ringer and keep your fingers crossed that he's good enough to not hold the other four back. these kinds of situations are why Football Manager whips so much rear end and there's no real reason it's gotta be exclusive to soccer nerds

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.

I'm telling you dawg, get Post Void. It is $3.

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.

Convex posted:

Vlambeer made Gun Godz which is free on itch and Steam. It's not a rogue like IIRC but is probably the closest to FPS Nuclear Throne you'll get.

Also this but don't get the Steam version because you can't turn while using the chaingun for whatever reason.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
im just gonna say it:

under a socialist system, blood 2 would not exist

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

ETPC posted:

im just gonna say it:

under a socialist system, blood 2 would not exist

Counterpoint: Blood 2 would exist but be good

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
the people would make their own blood 2

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

honestly, if I decided to actually poke at this any further, I'd probably use a different framing so that, instead of it being an actual future-bloodsport, you're essentially managing an esports team.

the most obvious angle here would be expandability/modularity: it introduces the obvious expansion angle of "more games to simulate/compete in." maybe the base game could be an arena shooter, and then expansions could add a MOBA, a more pseudo-realistic CS/Siege/Valorant-type shooter, an RTS, or what have you if it takes off.

setting aside :capitalism: motives, though, it also makes the quoted idea easier to achieve, because you're not having to establish a narrative specifically through the combat itself. the players are, rather than larger-than-life future bloodsport badasses, just regular people who are good at video game, and would have regular people drama and regular people injuries/illnesses.

for example: you're the coach of the Austin Dinosaurs, a relatively middling team. there's a 5v5 CTF tournament coming up on the schedule, and you want to sign the team up because winning will be a big boost to your cred (and, as a result, your finances and opportunities). however, everyone else in the tourney is punching decently above your weight class, so you set the training to be intense and rigorous for the week leading up to it and cut breaks from "full meals and 8 hours of sleep" to "meals consisting of Cheetos and Mountain Dew during training and maximum 1-hour naps," in the hopes that you can eke some extra performance out of your players. then your flag runner gets an RSI the day before the tourney as a result of this, meaning he'll be out for at least a month and you have to pull in a ringer and keep your fingers crossed that he's good enough to not hold the other four back. these kinds of situations are why Football Manager whips so much rear end and there's no real reason it's gotta be exclusive to soccer nerds

Ok yuouve changed my mind this sounds stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Why'd they set Blood 2 in the future?? A lot of Blood's charm was it being in the past.