Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp
I don't recommend watching the Wisconsin shooter videos unless you want to see an uncut shot of at least one person murdered and the shooter being ignored by multiple police cars and allowed to flee seconds later.

This feels different somehow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Everything is still so raw and new, and way more info is going to come out in the coming hours and days. This video seems to put the timeline together:
https://youtu.be/5XVc5mCEC6s

I don't know how reputable it is.
Edit:

Looks like I was beaten by Google Butt last page.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Bill's got the right of it

https://www.militarytimes.com/opinion/commentary/2020/08/26/what-the-heck-is-wrong-with-you-space-force/
What the heck is wrong with you, Space Force?

quote:

To the very esteemed members of Space Force and other grand poohbahs of the United States government agencies who may have a say in this, I have one question for you:

What the heck is wrong with you?

I’m talking about the ranks of the Space Force!

What are you doing to us? 😱 There was no Colonel Kirk; not even in the mirror universe (which is what 2020 feels like at times.)

Do you know your entertainment space history? 🤔 🤷‍♂️

Let me show you what I mean.

Throughout entertainment history, which precedes actual space flight history by decades, we had captains:

“Le Voyage Dans La Lune” (”A Trip to the Moon,” 1902) — the earliest known space film — had a captain in command of the rocket ship played by Henri Delannoy.

Captain Buck Rogers was a WW2 Navy pilot who awoke 500 years later to a new world.

In WW2, Navy fighter pilot Donald “Flash” Gordon was a captain [who] took his nickname from the science fiction show where Flash did not have any rank of title bestowed upon him. Even with no title; the name is coincidentally adopted by a “captain.”

“2001: A Space Odyssey” (1968) had a lunar shuttle captain.

In the movie “Alien” (1979). the ship Nostromo was “captained” by Tom Skerritt’s character: Dallas.

And even though it pains me 😩 to point out, Han Solo was “captain” of the Millennium Falcon.

In addition, there are plenty of captains beyond Star Trek and space franchises. There’s Captain America, Captain Marvel, Captain Midnight, Captain Planet, Captain Cook, to name just a few.

So, what am I getting at 🤷‍♂️ (I’m getting there…just give me a moment.) 😤 It’s been a captain throughout entertainment history that have gone into space and been the heroes that saved the day, the planet, the galaxy and the universe. Where in any of this rich history of inspired heroes travelling into space was there a…colonel?

Shall we have look?

Let’s start with major (two ranks below colonel).

Major Don West’s ineptness caused the space family Robinson to be “Lost in Space” on their space ship the Jupiter 2 forever.

There’s Major Anthony Nelson — who piloted a spacecraft that came crashing down next to a deserted island where he found an ancient bottle that contained a woman named Jeannie and brought the attention of Colonel Alfred Bellows to him for his crazy antics at NASA.

We cannot forget USAF Colonel Steve Austin, an astronaut who crashed his ship and severely injured himself that cost taxpayers $6 million to put him back together, who was portrayed by my dear friend, Lee Majors.

Finally, there was Colonel Wilhelm Klink of “Hogan’s Heroes.” Granted the show was not set in space nor was he in command of a space ship, but was one of the ineptest characters ever put on TV that was beautifully portrayed by Werner Kleperer and he held the rank of a colonel.

This is how Army ranks (and colonels in particular) are portrayed to the public by Hollywood.

“Star Trek” has borrowed so much of its iconic rank symbols from the U.S. military and NASA. When you unveiled the Space Force logo, many immediately saw it as an homage to “Star Trek” (even though our Delta was an homage to the previous military space insignias). Why not borrow back from “Star Trek” and adopt our ranks as well? We took them from the Navy for good reason, even though Gene Roddenberry was a veteran of the U.S. Army Air Corps. They made better sense when talking about a (space) ship.

So wrapping this up, I’m going to say that if you want the public to believe in heroes, that you should adopt the Navy ranks as they are the ones the public is most used to being heroes.

So please reconsider and name the Space Force ranks after the U.S. Navy.

Just my “colonel” of wisdom. 😘

My best,

Bill Shatner

William Shatner is a Canadian-born actor whose portrayal of Starfleet Capt. James T. Kirk is one of the most iconic roles in the history of science fiction pop culture.

Editor’s note: This is an Op-Ed and as such, the opinions expressed are those of the author. If you would like to respond, or have an editorial of your own you would like to submit, please contact Military Times managing editor Howard Altman, haltman@militarytimes.com.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

:hmmyes:

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Bored As gently caress posted:

Everything is still so raw and new, and way more info is going to come out in the coming hours and days. This video seems to put the timeline together:
https://youtu.be/5XVc5mCEC6s

I don't know how reputable it is.
Edit:

Looks like I was beaten by Google Butt last page.

It seems reputable. What is yall being ex military's response to this? What does your gut reaction or training tell you? I'm not trolling I'm hoping to learn something. I've done a lot of risk training through fire that helps me generally in life and I'm curious what yall feel when you watch something like that from home

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Apparently there's not enough real news going on for the MilitaryTimes, so they reach for the editorial pile.

Harry Potter On Ice, I'd like to see a street lined with politicians dangling from lightposts.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Aug 26, 2020

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

It seems reputable. What is yall being ex military's response to this? What does your gut reaction or training tell you? I'm not trolling I'm hoping to learn something. I've done a lot of risk training through fire that helps me generally in life and I'm curious what yall feel when you watch something like that from home

If you're looking for "real American hero" posts or any dumb bullshit here you're not gonna find it, pretty sure anyone in here finds that poo poo and especially that chicken poo poo who murdered 1 (potentially 2) persons because he was a little scared last night reprehensible. This is amplified by the fact that the fucker did it and then scurried back across the police line with no apparent consequences from LEO, which implies their tacit endorsement of him murdering people, as well as a major escalation during demonstrations on the police's part by proxy from "less lethal" to live ammunition.

Then again everyone in here knew cops were scum already.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Aug 26, 2020

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Nono I lurk enough to know that isnt here, I knew that wasn't going to come off clearly. It's more like.. can anyone here with experience in military history or even just vets, what's your gut telling you macro wise? Are we in a cold civil war? In fire I was taught to recognize when enough "swiss cheese holes" line up there are problems. Our county has a lot of holes

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Mostly sadness, because fascists currently hold the levers of power and I gave a decade of my life to this country and the idea that there were good people still. 4 years of trump has handily cured me of that.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Just wait until after the election.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Just wait until after the election.

Exactly, I'm trying to get a broader sense of what to expect and this seems to be right in some of y'alls wheelhouse, I assume there has to be some experts here seeing parallels to previous times throughout history? These are hard conversations to have without hearing my tone, its curiosity not panic. In the past a friend told me about similarities between the present and the late bronze age collapse and that was very interesting to me

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
Don't forget that if the shooter is actually 17, he's prohibited from carrying/possessing a rifle in this situation.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Exactly, I'm trying to get a broader sense of what to expect and this seems to be right in some of y'alls wheelhouse, I assume there has to be some experts here seeing parallels to previous times throughout history? These are hard conversations to have without hearing my tone, its curiosity not panic. In the past a friend told me about similarities between the present and the late bronze age collapse and that was very interesting to me
It is a heck of a time getting into Mike Duncan's history lessons, I assure you that.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
As lovely and status quo as Biden is and knowing I can't expect any meaningful changes with law enforcement if he wins, I hope he does, because I really don't know what to expect with four more years of trump. I'm trying to not give in to paranoia about getting a tavor and some body armor, all this poo poo is terrible and I just want the ride to stop.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
There's definitely well read and researched folks here. I'm not one of them. Only thing I'm reading right now is the writing on the wall. The wealthy are getting handouts daily, republicans are pushing fascist agendas, and the rest of us are just hosed for work or money and soon housing and food.

If there aren't election day shootings at polling stations in largely democratic districts, I'll be surprised.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

My gut is telling me that things are going to start getting REALLY bad, very quick. Many of us have said in this forum that something like this would happen, and when it did, would act as a catalyst of sorts. The only way I see things calming down is if the police in Kenosha come down hard on that guy with a quickness. Anything less will likely lead to a "poo poo hit the fan" situation. My bet is this will NOT be contained to a fairly smallish town in Wisconsin.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

There's definitely well read and researched folks here. I'm not one of them. Only thing I'm reading right now is the writing on the wall. The wealthy are getting handouts daily, republicans are pushing fascist agendas, and the rest of us are just hosed for work or money and soon housing and food.

If there aren't election day shootings at polling stations in largely democratic districts, I'll be surprised.

I fear you are correct.

Honestly, I'm surprised that this hasn't happened earlier.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Yo.

Get the gently caress out if you're in this southern path.

https://twitter.com/weatherchannel/status/1298637724975616000?s=19

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Pine Cone Jones posted:

As lovely and status quo as Biden is and knowing I can't expect any meaningful changes with law enforcement if he wins, I hope he does, because I really don't know what to expect with four more years of trump. I'm trying to not give in to paranoia about getting a tavor and some body armor, all this poo poo is terrible and I just want the ride to stop.

Democrat Jesus and his supermajority not only failed to address this, they made it worse. Somehow I don't think Crime Bill/Top Cop are going to make any positive changes.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

Yo.

Get the gently caress out if you're in this southern path.

https://twitter.com/weatherchannel/status/1298637724975616000?s=19

The models have this potentially being an absolutely insane storm too, look at the Euro:

Winds in kph. Thats 205 mph (gusts) in American.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Maybe someone already pointed this out but dipshit at 1:47 runs away on his cell phone saying he shot somebody.

I'm sure whatever Stingray was deployed at the protest will be used to figure out who he is and who he called :downs:

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

hobbesmaster posted:

The models have this potentially being an absolutely insane storm too, look at the Euro:

Winds in kph. Thats 205 mph (gusts) in American.

Yeah I'm not engaging in the political poo poo when this stuff is bearing down:

https://twitter.com/NHC_Atlantic/status/1298638836197548035?s=19

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

facialimpediment posted:

How about after the hurricane destroys a bunch of homes and infrastructure, when people aren't getting governmental aid from FEMA because politicians looted that money for politically motivated bullshit?

Sound like a good time to get into political poo poo?

Because that feels like a time when we should be past arguing and at least pushing siege engines and beheading machines towards our capitol.

E: sorry facialimpediment. I was caught up in angry brain and didn't stop to think about how hosed that hurricane is gonna make everything down there. I'll leave my idiot churned poo poo up, as a reminder to think before angry posting, but I shouldn't have snapped and I'm in no way proud of it. Sorry.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Aug 26, 2020

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Man Cameron parish is gonna get fuuuuuucked up by that storm.

Was listening to their congressman on NPR yesterday talk about how he still believed Trump was the best thing for his district because of God/Jesus etc. Katrina anniversary is this weekend too. I always get a little squirrely when a big storm comes back around home but doubly so during this week. Add in all the regular existential dread and this is gonna be a rough week mentally. I'm just glad the only people I know in the path of the storm already evacced out yesterday.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Yeah, I'm generally a shelter in place kind of person, even when it gets what most people would consider a little too dicey, but if i was in the way of that I'd have beaten feet by now. gently caress that.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Bell_ posted:

It is a heck of a time getting into Mike Duncan's history lessons, I assure you that.

This is great, thank you. If anyone else has
any podcasts or books they think would be relevant I'm very into it. I just finished How to Hide an Empire and it blew my mind

ASAPI posted:

My gut is telling me that things are going to start getting REALLY bad, very quick. Many of us have said in this forum that something like this would happen, and when it did, would act as a catalyst of sorts. The only way I see things calming down is if the police in Kenosha come down hard on that guy with a quickness. Anything less will likely lead to a "poo poo hit the fan" situation. My bet is this will NOT be contained to a fairly smallish town in Wisconsin.

Makes sense to me

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

facialimpediment posted:

https://twitter.com/NHC_Atlantic/status/1298638836197548035?s=19

Unsurvivable sure is a descriptor :stare:

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

How about after the hurricane destroys a bunch of homes and infrastructure, when people aren't getting governmental aid from FEMA because politicians looted that money for politically motivated bullshit?

Sound like a good time to get into political poo poo?

Because that feels like a time when we should be past arguing and at least pushing siege engines and beheading machines towards our capitol.

No no, you're misunderstanding / I'm badly phrasing it. I meant that I'm not going to join the CRIME BILL JOE stuff.

The real motherfucker here is that a sizable chunk of the FEMA disaster funding was just used by Donnie as part of that bullshit unemployment extension. So you can pretty much assume that Donnie will be flying down to Houston and jump-shooting paper towels into the crowd and that will be the extent of what the feds can provide. If even that, as based on Iowa, FEMA is completely on their own with no fundamental administration support.

From what I read, it's really, really loving bad already in the hurricane areas and it's not going to get any better. The general disposition of the administration and Senate Republicans is that things are just fine, which is completely and thoroughly loving the "renter class" workers that are out of work, and it just so happens they're most at-risk for both COVID and the inbound natural disaster. Also getting shot by cops/militia.

I just want y'all to get the gently caress out if you're in that path.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

What? No Colonels from stargate or mash? Hell the Colonels from Stargate were all specifically air force too lol

Stravag fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Aug 26, 2020

Wonder Free
Jun 19, 2006

Throw some D's..
I’ll be flying it as it makes landfall tonight. Stuff that rapidly intensifies like this is always a mess because it’s going into overdrive to hulk out. Lots of nasty embedded stuff with big up and down drafts.

The hope was that Marco had sucked some of the heat out ahead of it, or at least churned up some of the cooler water from under the surface layer. Don’t think it was enough to make up for the hot rear end gulf and low shear.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Wonder Free posted:

I’ll be flying it as it makes landfall tonight. Stuff that rapidly intensifies like this is always a mess because it’s going into overdrive to hulk out. Lots of nasty embedded stuff with big up and down drafts.

The hope was that Marco had sucked some of the heat out ahead of it, or at least churned up some of the cooler water from under the surface layer. Don’t think it was enough to make up for the hot rear end gulf and low shear.

This is gonna sound wrong no matter how I say it, but I always look forward to your posts every hurricane season.

They've already ID'd the shooter from Kenosha, not posting it here cause I don't want to get into any poo poo for doxxing but it's clearly him and the kid is a loving minor. Awesome.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Handsome Ralph posted:

They've already ID'd the shooter from Kenosha, not posting it here cause I don't want to get into any poo poo for doxxing but it's clearly him and the kid is either a minor or very much under the age of 20.

Seeing a lot of poo poo that he was 17, happily livestreaming, and getting bottles of water and praise from the cops.

By the way, the CDC is basically hosed now. This is why I tend to react like a gently caress when I see the "Biden won't make anything better ever" stuff.

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1298582772932648960?s=19

https://twitter.com/jaketapper/status/1298654628679221249?s=19

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Handsome Ralph posted:

This is gonna sound wrong no matter how I say it, but I always look forward to your posts every hurricane season.

They've already ID'd the shooter from Kenosha, not posting it here cause I don't want to get into any poo poo for doxxing but it's clearly him and the kid is a loving minor. Awesome.

hopefully they prosecute whoever bought the gun for him as a strawman purchase! (they won't)

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

PookBear posted:

hopefully they prosecute whoever bought the gun for him as a strawman purchase! (they won't)

It'd be a start, but yeah, they won't.

facialimpediment posted:

By the way, the CDC is basically hosed now. This is why I tend to react like a gently caress when I see the "Biden won't make anything better ever" stuff.
:same:

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Watch them try him as a minor.

He'll be out by 21.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Watch them try him as a minor.

He'll be out by 21.

"In light of his communjty service the state reccomends no jail time"...

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
at this point i think it's non zero they just don't bother arresting him

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Stravag posted:

What? No Colonels from stargate or mash? Hell the Colonels from Stargate were all specifically air force too lol

Shatner may be somewhat biased.

RDA should write a counter op-ed.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Wait, he hasn't been arrested yet?

Oh this is bound to produce something stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

maffew buildings posted:

at this point i think it's non zero they just don't bother arresting him

"Self defense"