Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

So the thread op is from a few years ago, is an Archer AC router still a good pick or are there better options in the intervening years? I'm not opposed to a little setup. Currently using an Archer c5 v2. It's around 4 years old and in the last few months the wifi just stops working and has to reset, usually it'll start back up in around 30 seconds. Tried updating firmware and when that didn't solve it, setting up openwrt on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I'd like to install some ethernet cabling in my house (aka snakey bois). My home is traditional desert, slab-on-grade, no attic. Both the origin of the cable run and the destination are exterior facing walls. So, no attic, no crawlspace.

I'm thinking my best bet is to run out the wall, then do direct burial for about 50 feet, then go through the destination wall. The other option is to run a cable up the outside wall and follow the roof line, but I think this is likely to look stupid, especially since the roof at that point is pretty tall, about 20 feet up. I want to run two cables.

That said, any recommendations on where to buy ~150-200 feet of cable suitable for direct burial? I seem to recall that over those distances, I probably want solid strand copper rather than CCA, and I don't know how important it is to have shield/unshielded or rated for direct burial.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
You never want CCA cable, for any reason. Its poo poo.

Direct Burial CAT5/6 does exist.. However you'll be fine just burying standard solid CAT5/6. Really... you will. The jacket is PVC. It's going to a last a long time buried.

I have a 40ish ft run I buried to my garage 7 years ago that I recently unearthed while running some new landscape lighting. The cable still looks brand new after 7 years underground.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

stevewm posted:

You never want CCA cable, for any reason. Its poo poo.

Direct Burial CAT5/6 does exist.. However you'll be fine just burying standard solid CAT5/6. Really... you will. The jacket is PVC. It's going to a last a long time buried.

I have a 40ish ft run I buried to my garage 7 years ago that I recently unearthed while running some new landscape lighting. The cable still looks brand new after 7 years underground.

Thanks!

Next question: Does shielded matter for this run?

It will be right next to an air conditioner (on the ground, on a concrete slab), that is running 70% of the days each year because I'm a dummy who lives in the desert. Will EMI be a factor and should I use STP? Or will 6 inches of dirt on top make that a non-issue?

Also, I have gigabit internet at home and expect to live here for a while, so I want to bury good cable. Should I be using Cat 6A?

canyoneer fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Aug 24, 2020

stevewm
May 10, 2005

canyoneer posted:

Thanks!

Next question: Does shielded matter for this run?

It will be right next to an air conditioner (on the ground, on a concrete slab), that is running 70% of the days each year because I'm a dummy who lives in the desert. Will EMI be a factor and should I use STP? Or will 6 inches of dirt on top make that a non-issue?

Unless your AC is putting out huge amounts of EMI (unlikely). Standard cable should be fine.

Ethernet is quite robust.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Oysters Autobio posted:

Hey all, I posted this tech support question but I wanted to see if anyone could guide me in the right direction for further troubleshooting. Basically, on a direct connection to my modem (no router) via CAT6 ethernet, when I use my laptop I get the 250mpbs download speeds that are on my plan, but when I connect to my PC I get anywhere between 50 - 90 mbps. Other than drivers, what else should I be looking for? What could be throttling the speed that badly that originates only from my PC?

Oysters Autobio posted:

Just wanted to follow up to hopefully a conclusion to this one, thanks to everyone for the help and troubleshooting.

Knowing it was going to be something so obvious and stupid, it sounds like the problem is my router's ethernet ports are only rated for 100mpbs. I just assumed that because the wifi itself is rated high enough, that obviously the ports would be just as high right? So I'm buying a gigabit router with ethernet ports that are fast enough for my speed. If I still have problems I'll be back but this sounds like the most obvious one.

wait... no.
how ?

I thought we tested by plugging in your laptop into the modem with the cable, then your PC into the modem with the same cable (no router).
Were we all holding the wrong impression the entire time we were troubleshooting this?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

wait... no.
how ?

I thought we tested by plugging in your laptop into the modem with the cable, then your PC into the modem with the same cable (no router).
Were we all holding the wrong impression the entire time we were troubleshooting this?

Yeah, I guess the laptop was on wifi? I thought that it ruled out the cable being bad, though. :iiam:

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

A guy I follow on twitter picked up a couple of these 2.5 Gbps MoCA adapters and really seems to like them. Might be a solid alternative for those who have good coax wiring in their house

There are some folks on twitter posting these pulling a full 980Mbps download speed off these on a home gig line

https://www.gocoax.com/products

https://www.amazon.com/goCoax-Adapter-2-5Gbps-Ethernet-WF-803M/dp/B07XYDG7WN

movax
Aug 30, 2008

skipdogg posted:

A guy I follow on twitter picked up a couple of these 2.5 Gbps MoCA adapters and really seems to like them. Might be a solid alternative for those who have good coax wiring in their house

There are some folks on twitter posting these pulling a full 980Mbps download speed off these on a home gig line

The ActionTec ones I have even support passing along VLANs, from what I can tell. Has been a good option so far until I get really invasive and run fiber + a ton of Cat6 down to the basement.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

So the thread op is from a few years ago, is an Archer AC router still a good pick or are there better options in the intervening years? I'm not opposed to a little setup. Currently using an Archer c5 v2. It's around 4 years old and in the last few months the wifi just stops working and has to reset, usually it'll start back up in around 30 seconds. Tried updating firmware and when that didn't solve it, setting up openwrt on it.

There are a lot of reasonable options for routers now. ASUS and Netgear have "gaming" routers which seem to work perfectly fine. There are an increasing number of options with wifi 6 although I believe there is still some arguments around what that is exactly.

On the high end ubiquiti have the Alien router which claims to have 3.8 Gbps of wireless bandwidth.
https://amplifi.com/alien

The UniFi Dream Machine which is pricey but includes packet inspection and good wireless. The only issue I'm aware of is that it needs a functioning internet connection to work and if your provider uses a vlan then you need another working router to start the setup.
https://store.ui.com/collections/routing-switching/products/unifi-dream-machine

Really it's a balance of features versus price.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I have a single Ubiquiti NanoHD station on the ceiling of the second floor of my house which works amazingly but drops out a bit in my backyard. I'd like to add another piece of Ubiquiti gear to get a bit more coverage. Doesn't need to be outdoor, I can put it in the room closest downstairs and get enough coverage. What would be my best bet? I have Cat5 drops in every room so I can do either POE or a WiFi repeater. I'd rather not do another NanoHD since I can't ceiling mount it but open to options.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

FCKGW posted:

I have a single Ubiquiti NanoHD station on the ceiling of the second floor of my house which works amazingly but drops out a bit in my backyard. I'd like to add another piece of Ubiquiti gear to get a bit more coverage. Doesn't need to be outdoor, I can put it in the room closest downstairs and get enough coverage. What would be my best bet? I have Cat5 drops in every room so I can do either POE or a WiFi repeater. I'd rather not do another NanoHD since I can't ceiling mount it but open to options.

Ubiquiti aircube ac has good range, and can power it off poe. I use one in my current office and I'm setting up one as a wireless uplink in my new office. It's about half the price of a NanoHD.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

So the thread op is from a few years ago, is an Archer AC router still a good pick or are there better options in the intervening years?

I would also like to know this - we have an Archer C5 and every time the power goes out I have to spend time loving with it to get it to resolve hostnames again. I spent like 4 hours on it off and on today and eventually got fed up, dug an old ~10-15 year old DIR-625 out of the closet and it worked on first boot. I would just continue using it, but I have 300 Mbps fiber and the ports are all 10/100 so I need a new one and I don't have a very favorable view of TP Link right now.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

FCKGW posted:

Maybe, if you don't need the fastest speeds outdoors, an AC-Lite or AC-LR? NanoHD works too; you don't have to ceiling mount any of these if you really don't want to.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Anyone have any experience with their in-wall stuff like the UAP-AC-IW or UAP-IW-HD?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I have a UAP-AC-IW that covers part of my house. No issues at all with it. I haven't really thought about the WiFi in my house for 2 years since I put the UniFi gear in. Anywhere from 21 to 35 active wifi clients at a time and it never has any issues.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
My motherboard wifi may be having issues or its my router so I got an archer tx3000e card to put in the computer because it seems like it would only help and was looking at TP-Link Archer AX11000 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 6 Router because its $299.99 at costco right now is that a good router to use finding info on it online is weird in that most the review places I use to go to don't have it.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
What's a baby's first ubiquiti package include for a 2880sq ft rambler? Have gigabit and hope to run some Ethernet if possible. There's currently 6 wired devices.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
I just found a few years old (maybe 4?) modem and router in a closet that I had completely forgotten about. Are these things still any good? Arris SB6141 and Netgear N900. I'm debating throwing them on Craigslist if it's possible to get at least a few bucks out of them.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

On paper that combo sounds like a "good enough" option for someone on a budget. The modem is DOCSIS 3.0 with 8 channels down and 4 channels up, which is fine - mine is the same specs and handles my 200Mb internet just fine. Comcast even complimented me on its performance. As long as their internet isn't faster than 343 megabits down it'll be good. The wifi on that router is 'only' Wireless-N, not AC or even newer AX. $40-$50 for the combo seems reasonable.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I have what I am fairly sure is cat 5 running from a vdsl port in one end of the house to a vdsl port in the other. Now I have a fibre modem and a powerline networking kit to connect to it, but the speed isn't great. Can I just rewire both ports and plug my computer into one end and the modem into the other? Do I need a special crimping tool to do it?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Fallorn posted:

My motherboard wifi may be having issues or its my router so I got an archer tx3000e card to put in the computer because it seems like it would only help and was looking at TP-Link Archer AX11000 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 6 Router because its $299.99 at costco right now is that a good router to use finding info on it online is weird in that most the review places I use to go to don't have it.

That's quite a sentence.

I was going to order the AX50 but decided it wasn't worth the extra for my 950 square foot house so I got the ax10 which was about half the price. Looks identical, still has 4 antennae and the important features

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Seen a deal, 1500VA/900W UPS from APC, 33% off, only $161.99.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B084T67V7V/

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

skipdogg posted:

OK I am incredibly interested in these. I'm using power line networking right now and while it works it is slow. I did buy a PCI-E Wifi card for my PC but I dunno I'd rather have a hard wired setup since I already have a coax connection in my living room where the modem is and the office where I have 3 PCs.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I think the one thing to be aware of is that you need to fit a MoCA filter where the coax leaves your house, so that other people in the street can't see your connection.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

I think the one thing to be aware of is that you need to fit a MoCA filter where the coax leaves your house, so that other people in the street can't see your connection.

That is a good point.

You know I was also just thinking... why don't I just move the stupid modem into the office since all of my AV stuff is wifi anyway.....

Like duh.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

On paper that combo sounds like a "good enough" option for someone on a budget. The modem is DOCSIS 3.0 with 8 channels down and 4 channels up, which is fine - mine is the same specs and handles my 200Mb internet just fine. Comcast even complimented me on its performance. As long as their internet isn't faster than 343 megabits down it'll be good. The wifi on that router is 'only' Wireless-N, not AC or even newer AX. $40-$50 for the combo seems reasonable.

Thanks - that's what I listed it at. Hoping someone bites.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005

codo27 posted:

That's quite a sentence.

I was going to order the AX50 but decided it wasn't worth the extra for my 950 square foot house so I got the ax10 which was about half the price. Looks identical, still has 4 antennae and the important features

Its a 2500 sqft one level house that has 20+ things connected to the wifi.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Finally got my 3-pack of Eero Pros set up. Good grief the initial setup was infuriating.

You plug it in, then you open their phone app for the setup. It wants to pair the Eero via Bluetooth, fine. It pairs, and just sits there with a spinny wheel indefinitely. Tried all 3 and the same thing. I'm about to send them all back at this point. For some reason, I disabled BT on my phone to see what it would do, and a button magically appeared in the app that said "set up by entering serial number manually" and boom, the setup advanced without issue. Absolutely idiotic UX to not just have that button sitting there in the first place.

ANYWAY

It got to the final step of the setup where it goes through a few steps:
Eero Pro detected - OK
Where is your Eero Pro -- OK
Connecting to the Internet - OK
Registering your Eero Pro -- "We're having a problem" or something similar.

No matter what the gently caress I tried, it kept bombing out on the registering portion. Tried messing around with it for another hour, swapping out the units, everything. About to package it up to return it again, and I find a post on the Eero forums that's 6 months old saying they're seeing the same issue with the same ISP. Apparently it's an issue with only my ISP (Consolidated Communications/CCI). We get fiber straight to the house, and we don't use a modem. The signal gets modem-ified out at the junction box, or whatever it's called. So, we have fiber straight to the house, then that is converted to CAT5. There's something funky in Eero that can't handle that and causes it to not be able to get an internet connection. The brilliant workaround is apparently to drop a router in between the incoming connection and the Eero gateway device, and turn the wireless radios off on the router. So, I just stuck my TP-Link router in, and did just that. Boom, Eero works and could finish setting up.

Now everything is up and running. I went from 7 SSIDs to a single one, with more speed and range. My desktop PC and work laptop are both hardwired to one of the Eero nodes on a wireless backhaul (for the time being, until I get time to crimp the RJ45 in my bedroom) and I'm getting my full 100/100 speeds to both. :hellyeah:

But yeah, now I have a mess of routers, Eero, a gigabit switch and a bunch of CAT5 where my connection comes into the house instead of just an Eero and switch. What a dumb loving workaround, and seeing as that forum post is 6 months old, I'm not holding my breath for a fix.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Depending on its layout I dont believe any one single router alone is going to have complete coverage for the entirety of your 2500 sq'. But thats why they have range boosters, APs and such

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Finally got my 3-pack of Eero Pros set up. Good grief the initial setup was infuriating.

You plug it in, then you open their phone app for the setup. It wants to pair the Eero via Bluetooth, fine. It pairs, and just sits there with a spinny wheel indefinitely. Tried all 3 and the same thing. I'm about to send them all back at this point. For some reason, I disabled BT on my phone to see what it would do, and a button magically appeared in the app that said "set up by entering serial number manually" and boom, the setup advanced without issue. Absolutely idiotic UX to not just have that button sitting there in the first place.

ANYWAY

It got to the final step of the setup where it goes through a few steps:
Eero Pro detected - OK
Where is your Eero Pro -- OK
Connecting to the Internet - OK
Registering your Eero Pro -- "We're having a problem" or something similar.

No matter what the gently caress I tried, it kept bombing out on the registering portion. Tried messing around with it for another hour, swapping out the units, everything. About to package it up to return it again, and I find a post on the Eero forums that's 6 months old saying they're seeing the same issue with the same ISP. Apparently it's an issue with only my ISP (Consolidated Communications/CCI). We get fiber straight to the house, and we don't use a modem. The signal gets modem-ified out at the junction box, or whatever it's called. So, we have fiber straight to the house, then that is converted to CAT5. There's something funky in Eero that can't handle that and causes it to not be able to get an internet connection. The brilliant workaround is apparently to drop a router in between the incoming connection and the Eero gateway device, and turn the wireless radios off on the router. So, I just stuck my TP-Link router in, and did just that. Boom, Eero works and could finish setting up.

Now everything is up and running. I went from 7 SSIDs to a single one, with more speed and range. My desktop PC and work laptop are both hardwired to one of the Eero nodes on a wireless backhaul (for the time being, until I get time to crimp the RJ45 in my bedroom) and I'm getting my full 100/100 speeds to both. :hellyeah:

But yeah, now I have a mess of routers, Eero, a gigabit switch and a bunch of CAT5 where my connection comes into the house instead of just an Eero and switch. What a dumb loving workaround, and seeing as that forum post is 6 months old, I'm not holding my breath for a fix.

You didn't have a router. You had your computers directly connected to the internet. You saved yourself.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
That's not true, the first Eero plugged into the WAN should be the router.

Apparently it's an issue with only my ISP (Consolidated Communications/CCI). We get fiber straight to the house, and we don't use a modem. The signal gets modem-ified out at the junction box, or whatever it's called. So, we have fiber straight to the house, then that is converted to CAT5. There's something funky in Eero that can't handle that and causes it to not be able to get an internet connection.

Huh, I actually use Consolidated too, and love it. I have not seen that problem. I am able to cycle between routers without issue, don't need to reboot any equipment or anything. That's really odd. I know there's no PPPoE or VLAN setup required for Consolidated.

https://old.reddit.com/r/eero/comments/gk980v/deadlock_with_eero_pro_on_consolidated/ has several people with that issue. Does the WAN get a physical link light when it's directly connected?

KS fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Aug 26, 2020

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

redeyes posted:

You didn't have a router. You had your computers directly connected to the internet. You saved yourself.

Maybe I worded it oddly, but yes, I had a router.

Incoming --> TP-Link Router --> Eero Pro gateway --> switch

KS posted:

Huh, I actually use Consolidated too, and love it. I have not seen that problem. I am able to cycle between routers without issue, don't need to reboot any equipment or anything. That's really odd. I know there's no PPPoE or VLAN setup required for Consolidated.

https://old.reddit.com/r/eero/comments/gk980v/deadlock_with_eero_pro_on_consolidated/ has several people with that issue. Does the WAN get a physical link light when it's directly connected?

Have you ever used an Eero? I think it's just an issue with it. I've never had a problem on CCI until I switched to Eero a couple days ago.

This is the post I found that said to just drop a router between incoming link and the Eero:
https://community.eero.com/t/83h3lt...s-inc-cci-fiber

I absolutely love no monthly data cap (wife and I work from home and we have 3 kids doing online classes) and a full 100 down / 100 up. Switched from Xfinity to CCI last year and love it. Have yet to take the plunge and get 1Gb even though my house can get it.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Aug 26, 2020

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I just set one of these up. Yeah they require a router and the app says so actually if you pay attention really closely.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Have you ever used an Eero? I think it's just an issue with it. I've never had a problem on CCI until I switched to Eero a couple days ago.

Well, I'm about to go buy one, because I'm super curious. What market are you in? There's a post here saying it works in Sacramento, where I am, however it's a year old and some of the posts say it stopped working since then.

Gigabit lives up to expectations.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

KS posted:

Well, I'm about to go buy one, because I'm super curious. What market are you in? There's a post here saying it works in Sacramento, where I am, however it's a year old and some of the posts say it stopped working since then.

Gigabit lives up to expectations.

Roseville.

Even Eero’s help articles says to use another router before the Eero because they don’t support PPPoE. Lame.

From the Eero forums, it sounds like it used to work until a firmware update ~6 months ago.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

I'm looking at Ubiquiti switches for small business.

Would you guys go with the Edge switches or the Unifi Switch Pros?

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

kiwid posted:

I'm looking at Ubiquiti switches for small business.

Would you guys go with the Edge switches or the Unifi Switch Pros?

If you're already invested in Unifi ecosystem/want to be, go USW, otherwise go Edgeswitch

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Buff Hardback posted:

If you're already invested in Unifi ecosystem/want to be, go USW, otherwise go Edgeswitch

Is Unifi the future of Ubiquiti?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

kiwid posted:

Is Unifi the future of Ubiquiti?

Two different use cases. Unifi is more shiny and targeted towards high end pro/SMB, the Edge lineup is designed for serious business networking/ISP level deployments.