Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Ferrinus posted:

so which other genocides are principally being publicized by guantanamo torturers, evangelical apocalypse cultists, and the state department (but i repeat myself)

idk, how far is the goalpost?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Kill All Cops posted:

idk, how far is the goalpost?

can't think of any, huh

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

The Thin Red Line

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Ferrinus posted:

can't think of any, huh

"owned!" i say as i dogpile on a thread expecting the one interventionalist lib posting at 12.30am beijing time to google up an instant rebuttal

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

Kill All Cops posted:

"owned!" i say as i dogpile on a thread expecting the one interventionalist lib posting at 12.30am beijing time to google up an instant rebuttal

sorry the state department, once again, isn’t coming to your rescue. it must be v frustrating

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

uninterrupted posted:

so you think tibetans should have stayed serfs and not overthrown their government with the help of china, on the offchance their feudal lords decided that owning people was no longer rad, thanks for clearing that up.

Cool strawman bro.

Meanwhile let's all laugh at this worthless thinkpiece:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidaxe/2020/08/24/to-defeat-china-in-war-strangle-its-economy/#33f4243531a9

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Kill All Cops posted:

whataboutism

lol

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
You know you're winning when all your posting opponents can do is quote your posts and type lol.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Whenever this thread starts talking about Chinese cops it's like I'm in bizarro world and the posters sound like libs talking about russiagate

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Kill All Cops posted:

take all the time you need!

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just read some of the D&D China thread after a few years and holy poo poo how has it gotten even worse than it was before?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
so this thread ISN'T the worst China thread on the forums?

hell yeah awesome

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Would you guys shut up about Hong Kong? Look, actual news!

China fired 2 missiles including a DF21D into SCS 1 day after US spy plane fought over Chinese naval exercise no-fly zone.

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747

didn’t America run articles about how it could sink the entire Chinese navy in 72 hours a few days ago

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

so this thread ISN'T the worst China thread on the forums?

hell yeah awesome
Since this thread isn’t 99% smug expats whining about how the barbaric orientals need to be civilized I’d say it isn’t the worst one.

huhwhat
Apr 22, 2010

by sebmojo
More often, and even more dangerously, anarchism’s desire to tear down social structures has resulted in anarchists supporting U.S. imperialist narratives against states that anarchists dislike. The 1999 NATO war against Yugoslavian social democracy gained support from anarchists because it was seen as a blow to Stalinist communism. In 2014, when the Western imperialists persuaded one of the co-presidents of the YGP that he would become head of a new state if he were to re-create Kurdistan in Syria, many anarchists cheered on this underhanded project to form anarchist NATO brigades. As the National Endowment for Democracy has incited fascistic and often violent protests in Hong Kong with the purpose of recolonizing the island, anarchists around the world have praised these CIA destabilization efforts as a righteous blow to Chinese “authoritarianism.”

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
"actually the communists are bad" is certainly a take on rojava

Grapplejack posted:

Whenever this thread starts talking about Chinese cops it's like I'm in bizarro world and the posters sound like libs talking about russiagate

the previous thread i was reading was the Cool Zone and man that's some whiplash

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

huhwhat posted:

More often, and even more dangerously, anarchism’s desire to tear down social structures has resulted in anarchists supporting U.S. imperialist narratives against states that anarchists dislike. The 1999 NATO war against Yugoslavian social democracy gained support from anarchists because it was seen as a blow to Stalinist communism. In 2014, when the Western imperialists persuaded one of the co-presidents of the YGP that he would become head of a new state if he were to re-create Kurdistan in Syria, many anarchists cheered on this underhanded project to form anarchist NATO brigades. As the National Endowment for Democracy has incited fascistic and often violent protests in Hong Kong with the purpose of recolonizing the island, anarchists around the world have praised these CIA destabilization efforts as a righteous blow to Chinese “authoritarianism.”

Wait when did the NED encourage violence? It's a tactic that only seems to have benefitted the CCP in justifying further crackdowns and disenfranchising the HK public.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

huhwhat posted:

Last I checked anarchists in the USA were busy burning down police stations and jails, so forgive me if I don't think they're shouting for US interventionism anytime soon.

It's perfectly possible to consider a situation bad without supporting sending in US warships.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

je1 healthcare posted:

Wait when did the NED encourage violence? It's a tactic that only seems to have benefitted the CCP in justifying further crackdowns and disenfranchising the HK public.

ned encourages violence and destabilization in hk the same way hk protesters are being retroactively arrested for "rioting", because if you stand with hong kong you are actually standing with violence on street cleaners being pelted to death with bricks and setting old people on fire, recolonizing hk by the brits or whatever the gently caress strawman is being used to make them the boogieman and not the hk government propped up by beijing

at least thats what i've gathered from this thread so far

huhwhat
Apr 22, 2010

by sebmojo

je1 healthcare posted:

Washington hasn’t had a coherent strategy for decades.

If you thought strategically, you’d start looking for ways to limit Chinese influence at the least cost and risk to the United States itself. You’d understand that the United States cannot halt or reverse Chinese economic growth (and certainly not without hurting itself), but you’d work hard to keep as many countries as possible on its side on the issues that matter, including advanced technology. In fact, you’d get serious about trying to prevent China from achieving a dominant position in potentially game-changing technologies like quantum computing and artificial intelligence. You’d be focused laserlike on maintaining a solid diplomatic position in Asia, and over time, you’d be looking for ways to drive a wedge between China and Russia, too. And you’d try hard not to get distracted by secondary issues and waste time, attention, political capital, or resources on them.

What has the United States done instead?

For starters, Trump abandoned the Trans-Pacific Partnership, a slap in the face to the 11 Asia-Pacific countries that had worked hard to reach an agreement that would have provided some modest economic benefits and kept them more closely linked to the U.S. economy. Then Trump launched his own trade war with China. But instead of lining up other key economic powers, he threatened or waged trade wars with most of them, too. Instead of presenting China with a united front, the United States has been facing China more or less alone, with substantially reduced leverage. The predictable result: a face-saving trade compromise that rolls back the clock and no progress on the real bones of contention with Beijing.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Not So Fast posted:

Last I checked anarchists in the USA were busy burning down police stations and jails, so forgive me if I don't think they're shouting for US interventionism anytime soon.

It's perfectly possible to consider a situation bad without supporting sending in US warships.

anarchists in the USA have been busy being blamed for secretly masterminding the burning down of police stations and jails

THS
Sep 15, 2017

it’s also perfectly possible to contribute to a climate of increasing tensions and xenophobia during a possible lead up to intervention by hyper focusing on the crimes of the current designated enemy of the united states, which is still the major super power for now, and the great satan, the greatest threat to world peace, and an unambiguous force for evil in the world

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
HK also has all the colonial issues from britian too though and kinda shouldn’t be compared to Taiwan and Xinjiang. the CCP didn’t cause the insane housing crisis or a whole subclass of immigrant foreign workers (who couldn’t protests cause they had to make a living cleaning houses of the people who were protesting)

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

huhwhat posted:

Washington hasn’t had a coherent strategy for decades.

If you thought strategically, you’d start looking for ways to limit Chinese influence at the least cost and risk to the United States itself. You’d understand that the United States cannot halt or reverse Chinese economic growth (and certainly not without hurting itself), but you’d work hard to keep as many countries as possible on its side on the issues that matter, including advanced technology. In fact, you’d get serious about trying to prevent China from achieving a dominant position in potentially game-changing technologies like quantum computing and artificial intelligence. You’d be focused laserlike on maintaining a solid diplomatic position in Asia, and over time, you’d be looking for ways to drive a wedge between China and Russia, too. And you’d try hard not to get distracted by secondary issues and waste time, attention, political capital, or resources on them.

thanks, obama

huhwhat
Apr 22, 2010

by sebmojo

Kill All Cops posted:

ned encourages violence and destabilization in hk the same way hk protesters are being retroactively arrested for "rioting", because if you stand with hong kong you are actually standing with violence on street cleaners being pelted to death with bricks and setting old people on fire, recolonizing hk by the brits or whatever the gently caress strawman is being used to make them the boogieman and not the hk government propped up by beijing

at least thats what i've gathered from this thread so far

Kill All Cops posted:

why are they my freedom fighters? i don't own them

Ice Phisherman posted:

The biggest narrative floating around out there right now that's in practice is probably democratic confederalism which is practiced over in Rojava in what most people know as Northeastern Syria. With as much attention that CHAZ/CHOP got as an autonomous zone, North and East Syria is basically a full on autonomous zone, though sadly that's been changing a lot due to the betrayal by the US of the Syrian Kurdish people to Turkey.

Others point out that there have been a number of war crimes that have been done as well. It's not a state though, so you can't point to it all and say, "Aha, they're all doing it" because they're not. Some of the cantons, the subdivisions that the AZ is split up into, are guilty and some are not.

huhwhat
Apr 22, 2010

by sebmojo

Hedenius posted:

Since this thread isn’t 99% smug expats whining about how the barbaric orientals need to be civilized I’d say it isn’t the worst one.

I wish I could say that general understanding of East Asia and Asians in the US has improved, but alas, it really hasn't. For all kinds of reasons, the situation in Europe seems to be considerably better. What American leaders and their intellectual lackeys seem incapable of understanding is that history cannot be swept clean like a blackboard, so that "we" might inscribe our own future there and impose our own forms of life for these lesser people to follow. It is quite common to hear high officials in Washington and elsewhere speak of changing the map of East Asia, as if ancient societies and myriad peoples can be shaken up like so many peanuts in a jar. But this has often happened with the "orient", that semi-mythical construct which since Napoleon's invasion of Egypt in the late 18th century has been made and remade countless times. In the process the uncountable sediments of history, a dizzying variety of peoples, languages, experiences, and cultures, are swept aside or ignored, relegated to the sandheap along with the treasures ground into meaningless fragments that were taken out of Baghdad.

My argument is that history is made by men and women, just as it can also be unmade and rewritten, so that "our" east, "our" orient becomes "ours" to possess and direct. And I have a very high regard for the powers and gifts of the peoples of that region to struggle on for their vision of what they are and want to be. There has been so massive and calculatedly aggressive an attack on contemporary Asian societies for their backwardness, lack of democracy, and abrogation of women's rights that we simply forget that such notions as modernity, enlightenment, and democracy are by no means simple and agreed-upon concepts that one either does or does not find like Easter eggs in the living-room. The breathtaking insouciance of jejune publicists who speak in the name of foreign policy and who have no knowledge at all of the language real people actually speak, has fabricated an arid landscape ready for American power to construct there an ersatz model of free market "democracy".

The major influences on Donald J Trump's Pentagon and National Security Council are men such as Mike Pompeo and Peter Navarro, experts on East Asia and Asian world who helped the American hawks to think about such preposterous phenomena as the Confucian mind and the centuries-old Chinese cultural decline which only American power could reverse. Today bookstores in the US are filled with shabby screeds bearing screaming headlines about China and Communism, the Chinese threat and the Communist menace, all of them written by political polemicists pretending to knowledge imparted by experts who have supposedly penetrated to the heart of these strange oriental peoples. CNN and Fox, plus myriad liberal and rightwing talk show hosts, innumerable tabloids and even middle-brow journals, have recycled the same unverifiable fictions and vast generalisations so as to stir up "America" against the foreign devil.

Without a well-organised sense that the people over there were not like "us" and didn't appreciate "our" values - the very core of traditional orientalist dogma - there would have been no cold war with China. The American advisers to the Pentagon and the White House use the same clichés, the same demeaning stereotypes, the same justifications for power and violence (after all, runs the chorus, power is the only language they understand) as the scholars enlisted by the Dutch conquerors of Malaysia and Indonesia, the British armies of India, Mesopotamia, Egypt, West Africa, the French armies of Indochina and North Africa.

Every single empire in its official discourse has said that it is not like all the others, that its circumstances are special, that it has a mission to enlighten, civilise, bring order and democracy, and that it uses force only as a last resort. And, sadder still, there always is a chorus of willing intellectuals to say calming words about benign or altruistic empires.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

good post

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

Only registered members can see post attachments!

sincx has issued a correction as of 05:31 on Mar 23, 2021

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

It's very ignorant to assume that this particular action is representative of an entire movement comprised of millions.

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Seriously tho Kill All Cops won this iteration of the Hong Kong Argument. Take the L and wait for the next one cuz this thread is quickly becoming extremely tedious.

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
also China brought a fuckton of people out of poverty without resorting to stealing a continent and subjugating and brutalizing 3 other continents, that fact alone makes the Chinese country* better than even the Scandinavian countries

edit:unfair that I’d call China an empire and not these Scandinavian countries when they’ve been involved with way more wars and regime changes

Professorjuggalo has issued a correction as of 19:01 on Aug 26, 2020

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

Only registered members can see post attachments!

sincx has issued a correction as of 05:31 on Mar 23, 2021

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Thankfully China is not an empire and has never been one, and isn't having any issues with unchecked rampant nationalism in the armed forces

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Grapplejack posted:

Thankfully China is not an empire and has never been one, and isn't having any issues with unchecked rampant nationalism in the armed forces

you’re 100% right

switching gears this kinda made me lol https://twitter.com/somalilandbiz/status/1296456655308193793?s=21

this has to be to for western powers to create some kind of Cold War style tension cause China has way too much goodwill in Somalia right now (and this will only increase support for them)

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/military/article/3098671/chinas-navy-drills-4-regions-show-ability-counter-us-observers

PLAN has been conducting near simultaneous military drills in the South China Sea, East China Sea, Yellow Sea and Bohai Gulf over the last few days. I think it's clear China is displaying that it is able to fight across the whole of it's naval territory if necessary.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2020/08/26/national/politics-diplomacy/shinzo-abe-health-news-conference/

Also Japan's PM Abe has been to the hospital twice recently. No one knows why. He's expected to make a statement on his health Friday.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Taiwan should court Kosovo next and then Russia would get mad too

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Ferrinus posted:

anarchists in the USA have been busy being blamed for secretly masterminding the burning down of police stations and jails

Who has been doing the burning?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Continuity RCP posted:

Who has been doing the burning?

principled marxist-leninists, obviously

haha, just kidding. it's masses of people who understand that america sucks rear end but mostly don't have studied and refined political ideologies, which after all is basically a weird nerd hobby akin to knowing a lot about star trek. i'm sure there are anarchists (and marxists, and liberals, and...) IN the crowds but these are minorities of the population

i will give anarchists credit for being good about setting up mutual aid networks, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LittleBlackCloud
Mar 5, 2007
xXI love Plum JuiceXx

huhwhat posted:

The issue with anarchists trusting CIA propaganda is a real one.

vis a vis Syria you clearly have no idea what you're talking about. The "YPG" is an essentially ML structured group that loves Murray Bookchin. I do not believe it has a "co-president." It attracted a lot of volunteers from NATO states with a variety of leftist backgrounds, including--if the TrueAnon man is to be believed--at least one blanquist.

Are you mad that Syria is more complicated than "THE LION ASSAD vs ACCURSED IMPERIALISTS" If so fear not, being abandoned by us, has pushed Rojava closer to Assad last I checked.