Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Biters really don't expand THAT frequently unless you're super late game with really high evolution, but yes, having an aggressive forward line of defenses outside of your cloud is the best way to stop them. They expand by sending out a little party to set up a new base, and if that party gets destroyed before it can set up the base, no new base in your cloud and no new biter attacks. Or just go out and sweep the cloud once every hour or two. You can also deal with it semi-passively by dropping a bunker every time you clear a nest, you'll have far fewer expansions to deal with.

Unless you're deliberately leaving nests in your cloud to face an endless onslaught in the late game, full walls are a complete waste of time. Bunkers take far less time to build, are faster to deconstruct if you need to expand, and biters aggro on turrets from well outside turret range so you can just plonk them down every so often and be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

How do you expand on deathworld maps? Creep outwards with your defences inch by inch or try and go around biter nests?
I started a new deathworld game for 1.0. It's quite early on (just red and green science) and the biters are starting to get aggressive.
My starting patch of iron is getting on the low side and it's time to expand. The big iron and copper patches south-west look good, but I'm no match for the biter blobs.

Reckon I could thread a railway between the nests and get power and defences to it?

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
If I was you (and I'm hardly an expert on death world), I'd quick setup a couple machines to hand-feed the stuff for military science (I'm assuming you have all the components). Save up at least 100.

Sneak straight south to those oil wells (if you don't have any closer) and quick pump up at least 10,000 oil into your base, then abandon it. Refine that into petroleum gas, get 50 sulfur and make 150 red circuits. Then construct 100 chemical science packs. Get Military 3 and build chemical grenades, you don't need more petroleum to make them. With that & turret creep using piercing ammo you can easily take out bases even with lots of worms.

If it's too late to get to that you may have spent too long pumping iron into walls of turrets and burned out. If you try again with a new base keep an eye out for opportunity to upgrade to Military 3 sooner. Also take a look at what you've researched. I can see you did train stuff and concrete is almost done. All of that can wait until after Military 3. Military science gives you access to flamethrower turrets even without any chemical science, too.

Rescue Toaster fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Aug 25, 2020

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Total nooby noob question coming up. I'm a couple of hours into my first game after doing the tutorials. Playing in peaceful mode just to get a handle on things and having a great time so far making wildly un-optimised systems of delicious belt spaghetti.

Is it an issue if you have your belts sitting full of items? Obviously I can tell that means I'm overproducing stuff at the moment, but everything seems to still be ticking over smoothly. Will this come back to bite me in the rear end?

https://imgur.com/ZV3DJkV

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
That your belts are full just means you're making enough things to satisfy demand and is generally a thing to aim for. It's more likely an issue if your belts are not sitting full of items, since that indicates that you're short on something.

"Enough" is admittedly a moving target in Factorio, but you will use all the things you're making early on in increasingly greater quantities as they game goes on. You really don't need to worry about overproducing iron or copper, or intermediates like green circuits.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

Total nooby noob question coming up. I'm a couple of hours into my first game after doing the tutorials. Playing in peaceful mode just to get a handle on things and having a great time so far making wildly un-optimised systems of delicious belt spaghetti.

Is it an issue if you have your belts sitting full of items? Obviously I can tell that means I'm overproducing stuff at the moment, but everything seems to still be ticking over smoothly. Will this come back to bite me in the rear end?

https://imgur.com/ZV3DJkV

Nah. It's totally OK to have a surplus. It makes it easier to add another factory (by which I mean a set of assemblers that make a thing) that uses the things that are backed up, because you don't have to go up your production of that original thing to make something new.

Example: If your iron is backed up, you can just use it to make stuff that needs iron, without adding more production of iron first.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Two sort-of problems:

1. You're spending resources on stuff that isn't being used. Not a huge problem if the products are used eventually or if you're overproducing.
2. It gives a false sense of security about how much you're actually producing.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Goodo, cheers guys. Just looking to wing things for now without looking up the best ways to do things as much as possible.

Xerophyte posted:

It's more likely an issue if your belts are not sitting full of items, since that indicates that you're short on something.

I did notice this and found it was quite easy to trace a production problem back to it's source by looking for the belt that wasn't filling up, and expanding whatever was needed back there.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

Goodo, cheers guys. Just looking to wing things for now without looking up the best ways to do things as much as possible.

100% keep at it. Once you learn more optimal ways to do things there's not really much way to put that rabbit back in the hat, and it can be really satisfying learning new things on your own or just getting a drip feed of tips and tricks that let you improve more organically.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

There are three states for belts :
1. The belt is not full and you need to build more production.
2. The belt is full and stopped and you need to build more consumption.
3. The belt is full but constantly moving and you need another belt.

You're not doing anything wrong, nothing is going to bite you in the rear end, just keep going until you find yourself having problems. Then you'll realize you did everything wrong, everything is biting you in the rear end, and you figure out a way to move forward.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Oxyclean posted:

100% keep at it. Once you learn more optimal ways to do things there's not really much way to put that rabbit back in the hat, and it can be really satisfying learning new things on your own or just getting a drip feed of tips and tricks that let you improve more organically.

Yeah I'm having a great time with it. Just sticking a podcast on and building away. I plan to just keep going until it's too much of a mess to untangle, then starting again using what I've learned to make things better.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

K8.0 posted:

There are three states for belts :
1. The belt is not full and you need to build more production.
2. The belt is full and stopped and you need to build more consumption.
3. The belt is full but constantly moving and you need another belt.

You're not doing anything wrong, nothing is going to bite you in the rear end, just keep going until you find yourself having problems. Then you'll realize you did everything wrong, everything is biting you in the rear end, and you figure out a way to move forward.

There's a fourth: your belt is not full but you are consuming at the same rate you are producing. Things like blue circuits and ingredients for rocket parts can end up in this state pretty easily.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Also when you're playing with biters (especially on harder settings) backed up belts is good. Backpressure stops production which stops smelting which stops miners. Every time you dig up or transform a material you produce pollution, and if the end product sits around in a chest doing nothing, you paid the price in increased biter aggression without doing anything to improve your base. That's a good way to get overrun in a game with biters, especially if you're in a desert where pollution travels far and doesn't get absorbed.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
It's totally normal to completely rebuild your base during a playthrough periodically in order to meet changing needs, particularly as you acquire more tools to do so. Nothing is permanent.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

if it weren't for biters I'd like the idea of never actually tearing down anything; just take whatever your old factory can make and conveyor it to a new plot of land to rebuild on

any properly ecologically-devastated hyperindustrialized planet has to have a few rusted-out, broken abandoned ruins :colbert:

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

PerniciousKnid posted:

It's totally normal to completely rebuild your base during a playthrough periodically in order to meet changing needs, particularly as you acquire more tools to do so. Nothing is permanent.

This is good to hear as I've just made it to blue science juice and looking at the new stuff involved I'll definitely need to be doing that soonish.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

On the other hand it can be a fun challenge to spaghetti it up and create the most ridiculous bandaid productions just to see if you can do it. Then when you do, now you can incorporate the next stage into your total trash setup and see if you can do that. Getting as far as you can in a bad setup without doing a total teardown is a challenge by itself.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
Is there a way to funnel biters into particular chokepoints like in a tower defense kind of situation, or do they pretty much attack the closest thing they find? I know they're supposed to prioritize military building.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Not really. You can build walls and leave gaps and the biters will kinda prefer them, but they come in hordes and at least some will go straight for the walls or whatever is closest.

Something that may be throwing you off is that big and behemoth biters have a melee range of 2 and thus can hit things directly behind a single wall.

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?

DreadCthulhu posted:

Is there a way to funnel biters into particular chokepoints like in a tower defense kind of situation, or do they pretty much attack the closest thing they find? I know they're supposed to prioritize military building.

As I understand it, walls work to a limited extent, in that if they've picked a target that they can walk to, they'll path around walls rather than bite through them.
This means that you can have very long walls, as long as the front of your walls is in turret coverage, the biters will aggro on your turrets and try to eat them instead of making a hole.
On the other hand, if there's an opening to that turret full of landmines or leading into a flamethrower, they'll follow it regardless.

This is also a good way to recreate the trailer and hit them with trains, though I've never seen an effective layout for train ramming as base defense.

Edit: if a biter gets stuck while trying to path around an obstacle long enough, they'll attack it. This means using belts to slow down biters doesn't work forever, and faster belts might be worse than slow ones in some circumstances.

Tesla was right fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Aug 25, 2020

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Is there a mod that is similar to Resource Monitor, but allows you to eye dropper a chest and add it to a HUD list? It would be cool if I could just add a bunch of individual chests and have a sum total displayed in a similar way so I know the amount of storage is decreasing. Kinda like red/green cables but without having to cable absolutely everything in your base together.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I haven't played since.... I think it was .16? Right before when artillery was added. I'm looking to get back in again. What are the current QoL mods of the day that I should be looking for?

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Honk

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

neogeo0823 posted:

I haven't played since.... I think it was .16? Right before when artillery was added. I'm looking to get back in again. What are the current QoL mods of the day that I should be looking for?

Factorio is one of the few games I feel doesn't need QoL mods.

Long Reach
Honk
Afraid of the Dark
Autofill
and a variety of quick start mods are still around. I like Tiny Start's option to start with weak power armor and a small robo port.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

bitterandtwisted posted:

How do you expand on deathworld maps? Creep outwards with your defences inch by inch or try and go around biter nests?
I started a new deathworld game for 1.0. It's quite early on (just red and green science) and the biters are starting to get aggressive.
My starting patch of iron is getting on the low side and it's time to expand. The big iron and copper patches south-west look good, but I'm no match for the biter blobs.

Reckon I could thread a railway between the nests and get power and defences to it?

My favored gametype is deathworld+railword. I highly recommend setting up a single track railway that goes to coal. Once your power supply is secure, then immediately make one to the most convenient iron patch. As you start expanding the number of bullets you need to make skyrockets. If you run out of power it's nearly irrecoverable. If you run out of iron (for bullets, turrets, miners, rails, etc) it is over cause you won't be able to expand as the biter numbers keep going up. Copper is not as necessary at this stage.

The NW coal patch has a nice nearly empty corridor to it and only has two nests that need to be cleared. There's also some oil right nearby which you'll need for circuit and making a tank. The eastern iron patch close and has some natural defenses so there's less walls you'll need to build.

For clearing biter nests I usually use a tank and poison capsules. The tank is necessary because the car immediately dies to massed spitters. Circle around the bite nests and chuck poison at any worms. Then retreat to a strong point, clear out the biters that are chasing you, repair if needed. Then head back to check if the worms are dead. If not they should be nearly dead so just circle around again with more poison. Once the worms are dead then just circle around shooting the spawners.

Military science upgrades are also really nice, but scrimp on anything not needed for the key techs. Tank, Blue Science, Trains.

Once you have a secure supply of iron and power deathworlds become more a game of grinding attrition, but right now you need haste before the biters start evolving. If you can get to coal and iron before or just after blue biters start spawning you're doing pretty well.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

LLSix posted:

Factorio is one of the few games I feel doesn't need QoL mods.

Long Reach
Honk
Afraid of the Dark
Autofill
and a variety of quick start mods are still around. I like Tiny Start's option to start with weak power armor and a small robo port.

Ah, good, Honk's still around. I remember using... I think it was called "squeak by" or similar, which lets you walk through thick tangles of pipes or whatever, which to me was dang convenient. I'll check out the others as well.

Mostly, I'm not looking to change much of the game, as I agree it doesn't need a lot, but things like squeak by and long reach are pretty dang good. And I remember one that put little red/yellow/green lights on production buildings so you could easily see which ones were stopped and which were producing.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

neogeo0823 posted:

Ah, good, Honk's still around. I remember using... I think it was called "squeak by" or similar, which lets you walk through thick tangles of pipes or whatever, which to me was dang convenient. I'll check out the others as well.

Mostly, I'm not looking to change much of the game, as I agree it doesn't need a lot, but things like squeak by and long reach are pretty dang good. And I remember one that put little red/yellow/green lights on production buildings so you could easily see which ones were stopped and which were producing.

You're looking for Squeak Through

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

ConfusedUs posted:

You're looking for Squeak Through

Aha! Thank you. That one made it so nice to walk through a crowded base in a hurry to fix a poorly placed pipe or whatever.

EDIT: Ok, I actually loaded the game and it's good to see there's still a list of mods I used last time I played. How necessary is Resource Spawner Overhaul? It seemed pretty "must have" last I recall reading about it.

neogeo0823 fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Aug 26, 2020

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

and Bottleneck for the little indicator lights

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Ciaphas posted:

Added in.

Anything else I should add to the list?

(fill4me is apparently a replacement mod for autofill?)

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

neogeo0823 posted:

Aha! Thank you. That one made it so nice to walk through a crowded base in a hurry to fix a poorly placed pipe or whatever.

EDIT: Ok, I actually loaded the game and it's good to see there's still a list of mods I used last time I played. How necessary is Resource Spawner Overhaul? It seemed pretty "must have" last I recall reading about it.

I don't find RSO to be absolutely necessary anymore, they overhauled the vanilla one. RSO still has way more flexibility if that's what you want, but others I'd just use vanilla.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Autofill (fill4me) and long reach combined are extremely cheaty when it comes to biters. Since you will instantly drop down loaded turrets at long range right next to spawners & worms. There's probably a way to turn off the auto-fill for turrets, but otherwise it trivializes biters so completely you might as well just turn them off.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Opinions probably vary but I find RSO very pointless with all the resource settings at world creation

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

Ciaphas posted:

Has the Multiplayer performance of this mod improved any over the past two years? We tried it a while ago, and it really bogged down MP play.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
No, but you can turn down it's update rate to help.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Tesla was right posted:

Edit: if a biter gets stuck while trying to path around an obstacle long enough, they'll attack it. This means using belts to slow down biters doesn't work forever, and faster belts might be worse than slow ones in some circumstances.
This is also why biters occasionally attack power poles out in the middle of nowhere even though power poles are at the very bottom of attack priorities. If a large group tries to path through a power pole a biter might get boxed in by the rest of the group and decide to chew its way through the pole instead.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Nothing like spending two hours automating a new process then having successfully pulled it off, download and stamp a blueprint that is ten times cleaner looking.

Also I really like the city block system. I'm not paving everything over into a concrete hellworld just yet, but the ability to organize things logically is a huge help.

Next up: yellow and purple science. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

"NiceFill" uses the original terrain color (that would be underneath the water) when filling in water instead of just the one brown color.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Majere posted:

"NiceFill" uses the original terrain color (that would be underneath the water) when filling in water instead of just the one brown color.

You can't see the color under the concrete. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

:laugh: