Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

christmas boots posted:

Unfortunately I think "Jane Austen's Incest Fetish" is too long for a username

If you don't mind eliding spaces, RegencyIncestFetish would fit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Jedit posted:

If you don't mind eliding spaces, RegencyIncestFetish would fit.

But then people would assume you meant Game of Thrones?

Melaneus
Aug 24, 2007

Here to make your dreams and nightmares come true.

christmas boots posted:

Unfortunately I think "Jane Austen's Incest Fetish" is too long for a username

Little Women Wincest

Where did I manage to hear that word

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Melaneus posted:

Little Women Wincest

Where did I manage to hear that word

Wincest is the word that weirdo pervert Supernatural fans use.

Winchester + Incest = Wincest.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Jane Austincest

Melaneus
Aug 24, 2007

Here to make your dreams and nightmares come true.

Tunicate posted:

Jane Austincest

Ah drat it was right there all along

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Melaneus posted:

Ah drat it was right there all along

Just like your step-sister

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Does Dragon Ball count as another Superman origin story? Though funny thing is Dragon Ball Super Broly actually heavily retconned what was until then the canon backstory to be more like Superman. (Although kinda funny that they changed it from a somewhat superfluous thing where Bardock randomly got the power to see the future, to simply connecting the dots and realising poo poo might be about to go down)

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
So in Zombie Tidal Wave, some company was trying to create a bio-weapon disguised as a de-aging serum or whatever, and I guess they did the test on an island. OK, that explains why they're in the ocean I guess...but where do the multiple tidal waves come from that deliver them to the land? Seems pretty unlikely that the same place would get repeatedly battered by tsunamis containing hundreds of zombies per wave. Wouldn't the zombies head in random directions?

Even if the company is evil or something and wanted this to happen, surely they could have come up with a more efficient delivery mechanism than tsunamis. Just test it in a city instead of an island.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I believe any questions raised in Zombie Tidal Wave are answered by the fact its called Zombie Tidal Wave.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Bussamove posted:

I believe any questions raised in Zombie Tidal Wave are answered by the fact its called Zombie Tidal Wave.

I mean, it's a very good premise, but I just think maybe the writers didn't really think about the practicality of it. In contrast if you look at a movie like Lavalantula, they at least explain to you why there were spiders down there in the magma and why they're suddenly escaping.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I mean, it's a very good premise, but I just think maybe the writers didn't really think about the practicality of it. In contrast if you look at a movie like Lavalantula, they at least explain to you why there were spiders down there in the magma and why they're suddenly escaping.

I agree with this. I love movies that are dumb and bad but actually try. If you want to make a movie about a zombie tidal wave, hell yeah. That’s a fun concept. But actually spend a little time and effort on it, trying to come up with a quick justification for it isn’t going to kill you and it’s usually the difference between a genuinely fun b movie and some cynical cash grab.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

please tell me that's the sequel to a snow-based avalanchula

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Global Warmacondas.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Tunicate posted:

No but it is a spin off to Sharknado and the sequel is no joke

2 Lava 2 Lantula

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Tunicate posted:

Unfortunately not, but there is the classic Ice Spiders which is kind of close. It stars that guy from starship troopers that tried to steal Rico's girlfriend in flight school or whatever. and big spiders in the snow.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Project Power was just really weird to me because it felt like it had no idea what it wanted to do.

Art's entire motivation is his daughter but we get to see so little of her that she's honestly more of a plot device and Robin feels more like his real daughter. JGL's character is also just... There? I really don't know what purpose he served in the story. The plotlines feel very unconnected.

Also I feel like Art being extraordinarily cruel to a teenage girl did not get enough attention; a few scenes after he literally kidnaps, tortures, and threatens to murder her and also her sick mother, Robin is joking around with him and basically looking up to him as a father figure.

There's a movie in there somewhere but I think it got lost somewhere in editing, basically.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I want a movie about sharks showing up in lakes in a landlocked US state called 'Sharkansas'

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

AnonSpore posted:

Project Power was just really weird to me because it felt like it had no idea what it wanted to do.

Art's entire motivation is his daughter but we get to see so little of her that she's honestly more of a plot device and Robin feels more like his real daughter. JGL's character is also just... There? I really don't know what purpose he served in the story. The plotlines feel very unconnected.

Also I feel like Art being extraordinarily cruel to a teenage girl did not get enough attention; a few scenes after he literally kidnaps, tortures, and threatens to murder her and also her sick mother, Robin is joking around with him and basically looking up to him as a father figure.

There's a movie in there somewhere but I think it got lost somewhere in editing, basically.

Yeah, JGL could've been excised entirely and the movie would've been exactly the same.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I want a movie about sharks showing up in lakes in a landlocked US state called 'Sharkansas'

Tie in with the ‘Saw’ franchise.: “Shark N’ Saw”.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
No.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Bull sharks do travel hundreds or thousands of miles inland (one was caught in Illinois, and another one 2500 miles up the Amazon River), and can apparently jump up river rapids like giant, terrifying salmon to get in and out of Lake Nicaragua.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Schubalts posted:

Bull sharks do travel hundreds or thousands of miles inland (one was caught in Illinois, and another one 2500 miles up the Amazon River), and can apparently jump up river rapids like giant, terrifying salmon to get in and out of Lake Nicaragua.

Bull sharks are the actual culprits of the attacks that Jaws was based on iirc.

Between that and waterfowl, can only conclude that freshwater just selects for absolute bastards.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I caught the middle of a movie on TV today and it had one of the things which has always pissed me off.

The character was a fire fighter who was called out to a large house fire with people trapped inside. Apparently it was his day off, but it was a small town and a large fire.

So off he goes, puts out the fire and saves some lives. Then, when he gets home his wife immediately lays into him because this was supposed to be the day he was to spend with his young son. She told him their relationship can't survive if he's always running off to "play the hero" and disappointing their kid.

Like, goddamn lady, the bloke was literally off saving peoples' lives, not down the pub playing darts with the lads. Sure, it sucks for the kid but, here's the thing, what the guy was doing was actually vastly more important.

Get some loving perspective.

This is most Christmas movies too. Dad has a job, family hates him because he's not around enough at Christmastime, hijinks ensue, he ends the movie promising to spend less time working, everyone hugs. There is never mention made of if Arnold can still provide the giant house for Rita Wilson and Jake Lloyd if he cuts his hours at the mattress factory or whatever the gently caress it was, just do it, it's Christmas!

Silliest one for me is Jack Frost the Michael Keaton is a snowman movie. In that the "Dad works too hard" setup is that he's a blues musician that has to hustle for gigs so he sometimes works holidays. His kid angrily rejects him over having to work a party for a few hours, not on Christmas, but on Christmas Eve. And the movie is on the kid's side! How dare you leave the loving house, Keaton? Go play catch in the snow, you've got soft-focus memories to generate for the next 48 hours.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Someone had a post about how every 90s movie premise is basically 'aliens are invading/my children are unhappy/minorities/women/the youth are incomprehensible, how will this affect my job/bonus???'

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

theironjef posted:

Silliest one for me is Jack Frost the Michael Keaton is a snowman movie. In that the "Dad works too hard" setup is that he's a blues musician that has to hustle for gigs so he sometimes works holidays. His kid angrily rejects him over having to work a party for a few hours, not on Christmas, but on Christmas Eve. And the movie is on the kid's side! How dare you leave the loving house, Keaton? Go play catch in the snow, you've got soft-focus memories to generate for the next 48 hours.

Ironically the decision to return to his family is what kills him in the first play. Way to go, family.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Not about "dad works too much" plots but since Christmas movies have come up Christmas With the Kranks is just awful.

Basically the titular family just became empty-nesters and with the kids not going to be around for the holidays they decide they'd rather go on a trip than stray and do the whole Christmas thing. This evidently presents some kind of existential threat to the rest of the neighborhood who bully and harass them until they learn the true meaning of Christmas and decorate the house

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

That's why you don't buy a house in an HOA. Must be some sort of cautionary tale.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Oh for gently caress's sake

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

There might still be a space for a Shark of the Covenant movie.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Shark De Triomphe

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Antsharktica.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Polaron posted:

Antsharktica.

Is this sharks in Antarctica, a shark that was frozen in Antarctica but thawed due to global warming, a shake that bred with an ant, or a conglomeration of sharks formed into a colony with a queen shark?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Captain Monkey posted:

Is this sharks in Antarctica, a shark that was frozen in Antarctica but thawed due to global warming, a shake that bred with an ant, or a conglomeration of sharks formed into a colony with a queen shark?

E. All of the above. :getin:

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Captain Monkey posted:

First one, then the other.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I remember enjoying this one. I couldn't tell you why or much of what the plot was about (something about fracking I think?), but it was, in fact, a women's prison massacre in arkansas by sharks.

most unrealistic part I can remember aside from the sharks that can swim super fast in like a foot of water that also have spikes all over them for some reason: I don't think any real prison issues uniforms with jean shorts that short or tanktops that tight

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

I remember enjoying this one. I couldn't tell you why or much of what the plot was about (something about fracking I think?), but it was, in fact, a women's prison massacre in arkansas by sharks.

most unrealistic part I can remember aside from the sharks that can swim super fast in like a foot of water that also have spikes all over them for some reason: I don't think any real prison issues uniforms with jean shorts that short or tanktops that tight

I recall a discussion about it just over a year ago, starting here:

Len posted:

Paging Yeah I Eat rear end to the thread

Have you seen this?

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt3403194/

e: oh and also

I don't know, I kind of like it in here, it feels like we're doing a duty in reminding people that there are movies that aren't super hero movies to get irritated about (even though i'm probably one of the only ones who actually reads my posts instead of speed-scrolling by).

Your posts in this thread are treasures.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Thanks, I figured i must have talked about it but couldn't remember what I said (true of most of my posts that didn't occur today).

also I feel like I should issue a correction for my previous post: when I said it was a women's prison massacre in arkansas by sharks, that implied it happened IN a women's prison. That would be silly. They were on supervised work detail in the swamp.

edit: also thank you len for your always great recommendation on that one.

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 22:38 on Aug 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Jedit posted:

More like oldbrainless. Even Stallone doesn't think that his Dredd film was a Dredd film after watching Karl Urban's.

The suit was cool though,judge dredd meets batman forever.