Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

soggybagel posted:

Why are all xbox controllers sold out on the internet? It can't be just this game...can it?

They’ve been hard to find for awhile now, a mix of covid and (I think) the new generation is almost here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

McLarenF1 posted:

Plugging a controller in/out causing the game to crash it's a known bug MS has documented.

Totally, but what breaks it for me is that if I have the controller plugged in BEFORE I launch the game, it shows up in menu but there are no available binds for it

It'll have a picture of the stick/throttle but no options for binding. Unplugging and plugging again crashes

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

BaronVanAwesome posted:

Totally, but what breaks it for me is that if I have the controller plugged in BEFORE I launch the game, it shows up in menu but there are no available binds for it

It'll have a picture of the stick/throttle but no options for binding. Unplugging and plugging again crashes

Have you switched the filter from "Assigned" to "All"?

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

I saw somewhere that a patch is coming tomorrow, is that correct?

Not the Messiah
Jan 7, 2018
Buglord
Should I be concerned that going into the world map from the main menu drops the framerate to single digit FPS and makes it impossible to actually click any buttons to do anything? How do I make it go back to...actually running at a normal framerate

I just want to fly :(

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Not the Messiah posted:

Should I be concerned that going into the world map from the main menu drops the framerate to single digit FPS and makes it impossible to actually click any buttons to do anything? How do I make it go back to...actually running at a normal framerate

I had a planet size airliner spawn into the world map and couldn’t make it go away until I restarted the game.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Soy Division posted:

I saw somewhere that a patch is coming tomorrow, is that correct?

Information about the patch is coming tomorrow. Don't expect the patch itself to land tomorrow.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
My mypilotstore order just shipped. I hope the hurricane enjoys my hotas and pedals.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

zedprime posted:

For anyone considering PC rebuilds, Newegg's West Coast facility seems to be having a black hole moment, which according to complaints on Reddit tend to happen near month end since corona started. Half my order shipped out of somewhere else so now I have everything but the actual thing I could use for a half assed frankenbuild, a motherboard.

I have a warranty replacement T Flight HOTAS One coming on the 9th supposedly, who wants to take bets on which I get first?

Yeah, I ordered all my PC parts on Monday morning and they haven't gotten them over to UPS yet, which really irritates me since I shelled out for 2-day shipping and welp. Any history on how long these likely go on? I could probably just cancel my Newegg order and give more money to Lord Bezos if it's likely to be another week.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Not the Messiah posted:

Some things I've seen suggested: if you have a Pascal or later NVIDIA GPU, update your graphics driver to the latest (do it anyway, it's "optimized" for MSFS), download v2004 via Windows Update, turn on Hardware Accelerated GPU scheduling.

Some have said that setting windows to prioritize background tasks also fixes this.

edit: I might try turning off other players being displayed, if that's on. edit 2: actually not sure how to disable this. Change settings with filters if you can to make the map as simple as possible.

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Aug 27, 2020

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Newegg just plain sucks. I once bought a network card from them and paid for 2 day shipping because I really wanted it. They waited two days before I had to contact support to get them to actually ship it.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

Newegg just plain sucks. I once bought a network card from them and paid for 2 day shipping because I really wanted it. They waited two days before I had to contact support to get them to actually ship it.

Same, but day 3 post-ordering for me just ended and my support email is going unanswered

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Why does the game never recognize that I'm done with my climb and have reached cruising altitude? It's not a huge deal, but I'm curious if this is a bug or if I'm doing something wrong.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

Bold Robot posted:

Why does the game never recognize that I'm done with my climb and have reached cruising altitude? It's not a huge deal, but I'm curious if this is a bug or if I'm doing something wrong.

Objectives seem kinda broken in general. I've never once reached my designated cruising altitude.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

MrYenko posted:

Last time I tried to do ATC on VATSIM was before I was a real controller, and they had the controller software locked behind an interview and training process that was frankly more inane and ridiculous than the real deal. Has that changed?

I have no idea, but I'm somehow not surprised a spergy online sim community has a worse process than the real thing it replicates, and that's saying something for air traffic controllers.

It'd be neat if there was a "local" version of an ATC plugin where you could just control a tower, or a sector or something.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Opentrack + the phone app is awesome. I've been flying at least IL-2 since it launched and haven't saved up for TrackIR, and I now deeply regret that mistake. If you have a recent iPhone, it's well worth the $5 for the phone app, omg headtracking rules.

I was just over Phoenix AZ and my God is that city crisply modeled, for a horribly overcrowded version of hell. Clear air plus not a lot of trees will do that I suppose.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

So getting real tired of the ATIS saying wind 220 at 2, the metar saying 080 at 5, and the actual ingame wind suddenly being 130 at 40 kts

I don't mind wind, but like...be consistent for shits sake. Or if youre suddenly going to sync give me an on screen warning like hey weather synching in 30 seconds.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Mukaikubo posted:

Yeah, I ordered all my PC parts on Monday morning and they haven't gotten them over to UPS yet, which really irritates me since I shelled out for 2-day shipping and welp. Any history on how long these likely go on? I could probably just cancel my Newegg order and give more money to Lord Bezos if it's likely to be another week.
From the Reddit comments in June and May, month end orders mysteriously get filled on the 2nd of the next month. It's either month end warehouse crunch or they're doing shady accounting by invoicing stock they aren't replenishing till something clears customs at the end of the month or something.

E. They specifically have you by the balls if your tracking status is "in transit to UPS" because you can't dispute the charges and cancel before 2 weeks unless you get on the phone and raise hell till they give up.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Aug 27, 2020

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

Mukaikubo posted:

I finally gave up trying to make this game work on my computer (i5-6600, 16 gigs memory, 1060 6GB GTX).
I have same but with a GTX 1070 8GB and can run the game at Medium (1440p @ 90% render resolution). However I did a small overclock (20% to 4.2Ghz) which helped a lot. It's pretty playable now (solid 60fps in air) but still chugs in cities. I think this system is really borderline of being able to run this game. My GPU is the limiting factor at points so your GPU may be too low. Try turning off all the live satelitte/buildings too, I have them on but that should help further.

nessin posted:

Just throwing this out there, but a controller works amazing in this game once you add a small deadzone and bring down the sensitivity to like -50%. It's not going to be as precise and I'd still want at least a joystick with throttle for doing a lot of quick maneuvers or landing in rough weather, but for just about anything else I think I prefer a controller to a stick (don't have a yoke so can't speak to that). Does take an hour or so of effort to really adjust to though.

Yeah I had to turn down DS4 sensitivity -33% and could have kept going, made a big difference.

I found a store 5 minutes away with Logitech 3D Extreme Pro in stock so I bought that - wow using a stick is so much better than a controller, it's insane. It's also great to have every button I need to fly on the one device. Using a mouse + DS4 combo to change throttle was really frustrating and caused a few crashes.

Maybe later I will upgrade the stick if I'm still playing, but currently everything is sold out in my country.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

salt shakeup posted:

I have same but with a GTX 1070 8GB and can run the game at Medium (1440p @ 90% render resolution). However I did a small overclock (20% to 4.2Ghz) which helped a lot. It's pretty playable now (solid 60fps in air) but still chugs in cities. I think this system is really borderline of being able to run this game. My GPU is the limiting factor at points so your GPU may be too low. Try turning off all the live satelitte/buildings too, I have them on but that should help further.

It's not really performance- if I can get it to launch and get into a plane, I'm usually fine for FPS and such- it's that I CTD occasionally when launching the game, and CTD about 3 out of 4 times I try to start a flight, and occasionally I just CTD in midair. Noted it before and things people have suggested (memtest et al) I've run before, and come up with nothing, this computer is just gremlin-haunted. And looks like I won't be able to build a new computer for another week and change thanks to Newegg. :)

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

Mukaikubo posted:

It's not really performance- if I can get it to launch and get into a plane, I'm usually fine for FPS and such- it's that I CTD occasionally when launching the game, and CTD about 3 out of 4 times I try to start a flight, and occasionally I just CTD in midair. Noted it before and things people have suggested (memtest et al) I've run before, and come up with nothing, this computer is just gremlin-haunted. And looks like I won't be able to build a new computer for another week and change thanks to Newegg. :)

Oh yikes I haven't had that sort of issue. Maybe check your system temps? Fans blocked? But sounds like a moot point at this stage, hope you get your new system soon.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Man that T16000 stick+throttle+pedals boxed set for (non-flipper-prices) just under AU$400 looks like a good deal for something I'll probably not use a ton of but have a lot of fun when I do. I'm sure youtube/reddit reviews will tell me it's poo poo and instantly breaks. :v:

On the subject of ATC: I don't mind ATC in general but I'd really like a toggle for a sort of semi-assisted setup. Having my drunk rear end ghost copilot ack dumb decisions for landing sucks. Also, while I know it's not ~realism~ at least having the text option to filter out other planes would be nice to preserve screen space. I'll get an altitude change but it's instantly buried behind a dozen calls for some npc airliner to get the hell above 10000 feet.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mailer posted:

Man that T16000 stick+throttle+pedals boxed set for (non-flipper-prices) just under AU$400 looks like a good deal for something I'll probably not use a ton of but have a lot of fun when I do. I'm sure youtube/reddit reviews will tell me it's poo poo and instantly breaks. :v:

I dunno about the pedals but the stick and throttle are solid and pretty much universally liked as a good set of HOTAS controls.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I have the pedals and they are ok. They do what they are supposed to do and feel solid enough. I wish they were a little smoother around the centre of movement, but it's no big deal. Putting in a small dead zone in the settings is a good idea.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Mailer posted:

On the subject of ATC: I don't mind ATC in general but I'd really like a toggle for a sort of semi-assisted setup. Having my drunk rear end ghost copilot ack dumb decisions for landing sucks. Also, while I know it's not ~realism~ at least having the text option to filter out other planes would be nice to preserve screen space. I'll get an altitude change but it's instantly buried behind a dozen calls for some npc airliner to get the hell above 10000 feet.

I have the stick and throttle and love it. The stick really made a difference for every game and everything is still in perfect condition in the 3 months I've had it. DCS, Elite Dangerous, and now MFS are much better for it.

I had to put silicone grease on the throttle rails because it was sticking a little, but that's the only problem I've had with it.

Don't feel like I even need pedals. Hell, most of the time I don't even use the rudder.The paddles on the throttle are good enough for steering on the ground and take off. The only thing I would feel like pedals would be useful for is helicopters.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Yeah. If you decide to do helicopters or combat sims like IL2, pedals might be worth it.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Without a slip gauge, how do you know if your turn is coordinated? Not all planes have them. Seems like a hard skill to learn without "feel"?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Yeah, in real life you can feel a slip or a skid because the gravity vector appears to change. A coordinated turn feels like you're just sitting in your seat (maybe with additional Gs, but going down to the floor of the plane); in an uncoordinated one you'll feel like you're sliding to the left or right as well.

In a simulated plane without a turn-and-slip indicator I dunno. You might be able to notice that you aren't travelling in the same direction as your plane is pointed, but that could be wind and you might just be crabbing, not slipping.

Conceptually, the reason that turns get uncoordinated has to do with the position of the ailerons. In order to bank the plane, you set the ailerons to increase lift on the outside wing (aileron down) and decrease lift on the inside wing (aileron up). The unbalanced lift rolls the plane to the desired side. However, increasing the lift on the outside wing also increases the induced drag that wing generates, and the drag pulls the wing backwards a bit, yawing the plane to the outside of the turn. You use the rudder to counteract that yaw and get the nose back in line. That concept was the Wright brothers' most important innovation (of many important innovations), by the way.

The thing to recognize here is that the adverse yaw is the result of aileron position, not bank angle. So you should think of the rudder as being synchronized with your yoke/stick position rather than the aircraft's bank relative to the world. Also note that if you keep the lift unbalanced, the airplane will continue to roll -- so once you have established a moderate rate turn (say 30 degree bank), you will neutralize the aileron to keep the plane there, and then since your lift is balanced again you don't need the extra yaw input. So you roll into the turn and apply rudder simultaneously with the aileron, reach 30 degrees, and neutralize both the aileron and rudder. Rolling out of the turn you do the reverse. Your hands and feet always move simultaneously and in the same direction, unless you're deliberately performing a slip.

Knowing that aileron and rudder are synchronized doesn't tell you how much rudder to apply, but maybe it's a start?

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Aug 27, 2020

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I started a bush flight but want to restart, I haven't completed any stages yet. Everytime I load in it starts me from where I left off mid-air. How do I get it to restart me on the runway at the beginning?

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Popete posted:

I started a bush flight but want to restart, I haven't completed any stages yet. Everytime I load in it starts me from where I left off mid-air. How do I get it to restart me on the runway at the beginning?

Hit “load flight” on the world map and use the file manager to navigate to the folder that’s like “NEVADASAVE” and delete that folder.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Hit “load flight” on the world map and use the file manager to navigate to the folder that’s like “NEVADASAVE” and delete that folder.

Awesome, thank you!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You could also just pause and hit restart. That's what I was doing when I kept messing up the first leg.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Also trust your gut a little bit based on the VFR map - some navlog written instructions seem super vague and weird. Trust the heading and ETE more than the instructions. Not that you aught to ignore them entirely, but they aren’t always clear. Pay attention to mountains/elevation and water features on the VFR map because those can translate easily to landmarks you can see.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Carth Dookie posted:

Yeah. If you decide to do helicopters or combat sims like IL2, pedals might be worth it.

Pedals, especially nice ones, make helicopter flying shitloads easier to the point that they're basically mandatory IMO (unless you're flying the Black Shark).

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Also trust your gut a little bit based on the VFR map - some navlog written instructions seem super vague and weird. Trust the heading and ETE more than the instructions. Not that you aught to ignore them entirely, but they aren’t always clear. Pay attention to mountains/elevation and water features on the VFR map because those can translate easily to landmarks you can see.

Yeah the initial instructions even for leg 1 are confusing to me. They don't seem to really line up with what the navlog is telling you.

Cojawfee posted:

You could also just pause and hit restart. That's what I was doing when I kept messing up the first leg.

I did this but it kept air starting me where I last left off. This may be because I exited back to main menu mid flight and it saved my progress or something.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I haven't finished an entire bush trip journey yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if, based on the way the save system works, if you need to have one continuous run from start to finish without having clicked the map thing to show your plane to get the achievement. I'm really dreading finding out since I used it a couple times on the very first leg just loving around, without realizing that it disabled achievements. Ideally I'll just be able to go back and redo that one leg, but I have a feeling I'll have to redo everything. Which, gently caress that.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

kinda want pedals with toe brakes, are they stocked anywhere

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

So does the autopilot just do random stuff when you're trying to fly? Even with the loving Pipistrel it's like flipping the switch activates amazing new acrobatic abilities as it plunges into a death spiral. It's barely above an ultralight and just holding 8000 ASL seems to be the secret command to plunge through the earth from wherever in the US I'm flying back to Slovenia. Flip on the HDG switch and it decides to do it upside down. I've been doing this poo poo since FS4 and now it's broken in new ways I can't even imagine.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

A MIRACLE posted:

kinda want pedals with toe brakes, are they stocked anywhere

The thrustmaster pedals have toe brakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

1337JiveTurkey posted:

So does the autopilot just do random stuff when you're trying to fly? Even with the loving Pipistrel it's like flipping the switch activates amazing new acrobatic abilities as it plunges into a death spiral. It's barely above an ultralight and just holding 8000 ASL seems to be the secret command to plunge through the earth from wherever in the US I'm flying back to Slovenia. Flip on the HDG switch and it decides to do it upside down. I've been doing this poo poo since FS4 and now it's broken in new ways I can't even imagine.

It seems like if you hit buttons too fast the autopilot programs itself to kill you.