Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
Ok cool cool. But no trailer...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

nope

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

duncd again

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
geeeeeet dunc'd on

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Chalamet said 'before September' which I think more and more meant 'Aug 31st', makes sense since it's a Bank Holiday in a few countries, and national trail mix day in the USA.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

31st before tenet for an exclusive teaser (fully spoiled on dune reddit, no leak yet)
Then Sept. 9th is online trailer release.

How's the cinema going mood in the States these days? It was not a big deal for me in Poland to go today, but we have like 500-800 cases daily with deaths in low double digits so it's on a wholly different level than in the really affected countries

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Anne Frank Funk posted:

31st before tenet for an exclusive teaser (fully spoiled on dune reddit, no leak yet)

How's the cinema going mood in the States these days? It was not a big deal for me in Poland to go today, but we have like 500-800 cases daily with deaths in low double digits so it's on a wholly different level than in the really affected countries

I mean the US is a big place and there are some less affected areas but going to the theater right now sounds like Russian roulette

I loving LOVE going to the movies but the risk is insanely high

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Shageletic posted:

*record scratch*

You might be wondering how I ended up in this Gom Jabbar...let's say it's a long story involving a Mom who's way into your business, a Dad whose just too busy at work, and here I'm just trying to get a girlfriend at the new place we moved to!

*montage of scenes, including Paul falling over when putting a stilt suit, mooning over Chani before Jamis beats him up, and then surfing a worm while the whole school watches*

This is gonna be one craaaaaazy Standard Year

*DUNE pops up in festive blue, pink, and mauve*

Paul tries to walk without rhythm, falls onto drumsand

Oogum boogum song plays

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

a total of 4 teaser frames are now leaked and can be accessed from the @duneauthor subreddit

i've got bad news for fans of the ibad

linku: https://imgur.com/a/BFrCGNe

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

oh my god dave bautista

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

https://insidefilmroom.com/2020/08/26/dune-movie-trailer-release-date/

quote:

Sources have confirmed to Inside The Film Room that the first official “Dune” trailer will be released online on Wednesday, September 9. The will come in the wake of a special, theater-exclusive teaser that is attached to screenings of “Tenet.”

A Canadian cinema employee shared the following details to ITFR. The teaser will run for one minute and 37 seconds and will give audiences around the world a glimpse of Frank Herbert’s classic sci-fi world through the eyes of Academy Award-nominee Denis Villeneuve (“Arrival,” “Blade Runner 2049”).

But wait… There’s more! Not only did our source confirm the teaser’s existence and Warner Bros.’ plan for marketing the full official trailer’s release, but they have actually seen the footage – and so have I. It’s nothing short of spectacular and a true tease.

It opens with gorgeous, custom WB and Legendary logos that fit the gold and black aesthetic the marketing material has shown so far. Then, it hops right into an iconic scene fans of the novel will immediately recognize: the Gom Jabbar test. This scene takes place early in the novel and is the focal point of this teaser.

Before traveling to Arrakis, Paul Atreides (Timothée Chalamet) is introduced to the Bene Gesserit Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam (Charlotte Rampling). She asks Paul to place his hand inside a box that causes Paul to feel excruciating pain without physically harming him. The catch? He’ll die if he removes his hand. The Gom Jabbar is a lethal poisonous needle that Mohiam wears on her finger and presses against Paul’s neck during this test of his humanity, awarenesses and animal instincts. You’ll discover the reason for this test during his journey.

This is nothing short of stunning from a visual perspective. The set that Chalamet and Rampling sit in is enormous and circular, with beautifully ornate carvings in the walls and floor. Sunlight beams through a skylight, and the two characters are centered in the room. The Reverend Mother is wearing a complex gown. It’s almost terrifying how the black, netted material drapes over her entire body, from head to toe. She speaks with a taunting, almost mechanical voice, explaining the test to Paul – the poor boy is clearly in over his head.

As the test plays out and his fear and pain increases, the footage is intercut with a sweeping shot of Arrakis’ deep desert, with dunes as far as the eye can see. It’s exactly how you would imagine it. They’re bright yellow, and you can feel the sun through the screen. We also get quick, big shots of almost every cast member, making their faces obvious to viewers.

We see the door open on an aircraft and the Atreides men stand in their armor as the Arrakis sun shines on them. Oscar Isaac looks absolutely regal and badass as Duke Leto Atreides. Rebecca Ferguson is hooded and smiling as Lady Jessica, and Duncan Idaho (Jason Momoa) makes a quick appearance wearing a stillsuit. We also see Javier Bardem’s Stilgar remove his face mask to speak to someone and Zendaya’s Chani climbing over rocks with a group of Fremen.

Some quick shots also include an ornithopter touching down in the desert and Paul stepping off. We also see Chang Chen as Dr. Wellington Yueh, Sharon Duncan-Brewster as Liet-Kynes and our first look at “Beast” Glossu Rabban Harkonnen, played by Dave Bautista. He looks almost painted white or covered in dust. There is also the quickest glimpse of a large character’s head emerging from a huge tub full of a liquid that had a similar color to Rabban’s skin. This character seemed to be Baron Vladimir Harkonnen (Stellan Skarsgård), and it was a perfectly grotesque moment.

Throughout the teaser, the intensity of Paul’s test builds and builds with each new cast member who is introduced, finally culminating with an epic closeup of Paul in the desert in a stillsuit, walking among Fremen. The score really comes in as the title reveals itself, and I am almost certain this is a piece from Hans Zimmer himself. It sounded like a cross between “Blade Runner” and “The Lion King,” with a good amount of drums mixed in with some ethereal, synth vibes. It perfectly fits “Dune.”

The teaser finishes with the title reveal, followed by a stacked list of every cast member that fills the screen from top to bottom, and a stamp that says “FILMED IN IMAX.” This film wasn’t captured with IMAX cameras, so this could mean they’re going the “Top Gun: Maverick” route of having their digital cameras certified by IMAX themselves. I’d expect expanded aspect ratios for at least part of the film, if not the entire film, when you eventually see it in IMAX. The images themselves look unbelievably crisp and almost surreal in a way that’s hard to put my finger on. I don’t know what exactly Villeneuve and cinematographer Greig Fraser did here — anamorphic lenses might’ve done the trick — but if these simple character shots look this good, I can’t wait to see the big and complex stuff.

It must be noted the teaser closes with the phrase “ONLY IN THEATERS,” but this is nothing new. Despite their upcoming films having official release dates picked out, all of WB’s recent trailers have forgone these dates in favor of highlighting the theatrical experience and keeping their trailers evergreen in the event of a delay — they won’t have to release a new trailer just because the date is wrong. I actually recognized this pattern last week with “Judas and the Black Messiah” and “Tenet” and predicted that the new trailers for “Wonder Woman 1984” and “Dune” would also go this route. The absence of a date is not any indication that “Dune” will be delayed; this is simply the new normal in a pandemic.

So, we know it exists, but when and where will this theater-exclusive teaser be available? That is a little less clear. In social media messages posted yesterday, both the Facebook and Twitter accounts for Canadian theater chain Cineplex Entertainment stated “the teaser trailer for ‘Dune’ will be debuted in select Tenet screenings starting August 31.” Additionally, the Twitter account stated “Warner Bros. has pushed back the date for the ‘Dune’ trailer.”

But despite being rated and ready for theaters when Canada and countries around the world show “Tenet” today, WB has asked for Cineplex to withhold the teaser until next week. The explanation for this is likely two-fold.

Firstly, the trailer for “The Batman” made an earth-shattering splash when it arrived on Saturday and is still dominating social media conversation. I suspect WB didn’t want one of their babies stealing the limelight from the other. Despite this teaser being exclusive to theaters, news of it (and bootleg footage, no doubt) would have been all over social media the remainder of the week. Secondly, the first screenings of “Tenet” in the United States begin on Monday, Aug. 31. It is entirely possible that WB wanted to wait until domestic public screenings began before allowing the teaser to show overseas, as well.

The final impression that I will leave you with is that this teaser did not disappoint me in the slightest. Although the 1:37 runtime whisked by in a flash, I could not have been more impressed with the look of this film and the way Villeneuve and company are capturing the world of Dune. This will blow every previous adaptation out of the water.

With all the cast members getting shown off, the music, the designs and tease of the official trailer coming soon, this is truly Warner Bros. and Legendary flexing their muscles. They know they have something special on their hands, and they want the trailer debut for this event film to be an event all on its own. With the marketing to this point having been basically nonexistent, I have to admit some concern was growing in me. That’s all gone now. I have no doubt in my mind that the official trailer that drops online on Sept. 9 is going to melt faces and blow minds.

The wait is almost over, everyone. The sleeper has awakened.

“Dune” is set to hit theaters December 18, 2020.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

That still of Rabban looks cool

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

https://twitter.com/DuneNews/status/1298644885424267266

:(

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

That description made me feel things

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

lol Tenet was actually about using the ability to time travel to not see it in the first place

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Anne Frank Funk posted:

a total of 4 teaser frames are now leaked and can be accessed from the @duneauthor subreddit

i've got bad news for fans of the ibad

linku: https://imgur.com/a/BFrCGNe

the xtra couple weeks is so hardworkers can crayon in the sea breeze blue in every frame

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
Seriously, does anyone ever wear their loving stillsuit mask? Do they even have stillsuit masks in any of the images? (Yes, I know it's unreasonable to expect actors in a movie to have their mouth covered, but can they at least have them and just pretend to use them all the time?)

Not gonna let that ruin my enjoyment of the actual movie, but man does it bother me when I have nothing but some leaked stills from a goddamn trailer that I can't even watch yet.

Edit: whoops, just noticed the mask, please ignore this post

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Weird that they are inviting phone video leaks with the lag between theater and online. I honestly thought the industry gave up on that battle years ago and released everything next day

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Leaks have proven to increase awareness and hype so yeah they fully expect it.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

i was a doubter but zendaya lookin swick as chani. i love it

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Anne Frank Funk posted:

Real bad.

theater I work was running exclusive benefit shows in July to keep the lights on, now experimenting with repertory screenings of Mad Max and Blade Runner films. 500 seat theater but only 25 tix per show. Between cops killing people and the resultant civil unrest, no federal monetary support or economic response, a insane virtual election upcoming, and bigtime expected covid resurgence things are not returning to normal anytime soon, and as far as conditions go for cinema I'd say pdx is a pretty optimum environment.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Also it looks like they're really going all out with the costumes, which most other big budj scifi movies are just doing with bad CGI these days. It looks good.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am going into this assuming this movie will be bad and will ruin Denis Villeneuve reputation.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

It's gonna be real good folks.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Denis The Menis

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

If nothing else the casting is aces. Reading heretics picturing Teg as a 6'6 grey-haired Oscar Isaac was some good beefswelling

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Ingmar terdman posted:

If nothing else the casting is aces. Reading heretics picturing Teg as a 6'6 grey-haired Oscar Isaac was some good beefswelling

I don't know why, but this just made me imagine Brian Cox (as his character in Super Troopers) as Teg. "Jesus Christ, I'm moving at dangerous speed!" Made me giggle.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Anne Frank Funk posted:

I would go, if there were anything worth going to see. Covid has really been a nonissue where I live though (rural Michigan).

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Give me the d u n c

Yes, Denis please d u n c on me.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
EYES OF IBAD CONFIRMED

More caps from trailer

Paul and Mohiam

Paul and Mohiam close

Put your dick in the box

Gom Jabbar

Chalamet tryna look like Kylo Ren

Thopter

Shades of Lynch Baron’s industrial effluent shower

Gurney man

Yueh

⊃∪∩⪽

Liet

Nice hair Usul

skasion fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Aug 27, 2020

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

skasion posted:

EYES OF IBAD CONFIRMED

ALL THIS WAITING IS GIVING ME BALLS OF IBAD

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Be stil my beef

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Ingmar terdman posted:

Be stil my beef

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Tell me someone took a screenshot

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

skasion posted:

EYES OF IBAD CONFIRMED

lol screenshot, my goon, SCREENSHOTTTTTTTTTTTTT

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Edits within edits

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

That gom jabbar is loving perfect. Way better than the thimble

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I must wait for the trailer.
Screenshots are the mind-killer.
Screenshots are the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my trailer.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its glory.
Where the screenshots were, there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

DUNC-DUNC

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
I loving love the set design so so much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

DUNC