Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The weird thing about the Ghana video is that conquest is supposed to reduce fervor so I would have expected it to fall instead of staying pegged at 100. Maybe all that human sacrifice counteracted that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Sindai posted:

The weird thing about the Ghana video is that conquest is supposed to reduce fervor so I would have expected it to fall instead of staying pegged at 100. Maybe all that human sacrifice counteracted that.

My understanding is that it's not conquest that reduces fervor, it's holy wars, and the player deliberately avoided holy wars to save piety. They used county conquests to expand, I believe.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

MonikaTSarn posted:

I find all those videos unwatchable - every one i tried seems to have weird cuts in the action, with armies jumping around a lot, things happening far to quick. Are they all just playing at a very quick speed without ever pausing when in the character interfaces / responding to events, or are they just cut a lot to keep time down ?

The dev livestream didnt have that problem, that was really enjoyable.

Yeah they’re definitely heavily edited

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
Has Rimmy's video on spreading the faith of Tomboyism been posted yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-q6NkCOV9bg

Twenty minutes well spent.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Wyld Karde posted:

It was kind of funny to watch the cycle of get crusaded > surrender > reconquer lost kingdom > repeat.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
It's pretty funny he got the Knights Templar because he technically created the first Christian holy order.

And that his vassals conquered Jerusalem without his help, though the Templars probably did a lot of the heavy lifting there.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

MonikaTSarn posted:

I find all those videos unwatchable - every one i tried seems to have weird cuts in the action, with armies jumping around a lot, things happening far to quick. Are they all just playing at a very quick speed without ever pausing when in the character interfaces / responding to events, or are they just cut a lot to keep time down ?

I suspect Paradox told them the format they have to produce, since at least several of those usually do LPs without any editing aside from cutting into episodes.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
Some interesting videos, however, what is the thing with the ren faire costumes?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
One of the streamers said that Paradox had asked them to ham it up/roleplay a bit, so I guess a lot of them settled on "costumes" as a way to do that?

Honestly I don't mind but I'm sure the people jonesing for hours upon hours of uncut gameplay aren't going to be happy until Monday when the streaming embargo drops.

(or today's dev stream I guess?)

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

More info on how battles work:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BxPQYruwgQ

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Every second streamer selecting Carnal Exaltation for one of their new faith's tenets. Why am I not surprised?

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Wyld Karde posted:

The crusade seizing Galicia, only for the new kingdom to immediately fall to a Tomboy uprising and accept an alliance with its former king, is exactly the kind of story I love this series for.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Torrannor posted:

Every second streamer selecting Carnal Exaltation for one of their new faith's tenets. Why am I not surprised?

Meme potential aside, the fertility boost was pretty good if it hasn't been nerfed since it was revealed.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I want to play this game very badly

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

a new study bible! posted:

I want to play this game very badly

:same: all these videos have done is make me wish it was September 1st

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Me too

I planned to wait for the first deal to get this game but I dont know if Ill have the self control to do that

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

MonikaTSarn posted:

The dev livestream didnt have that problem, that was really enjoyable.

of course they're editted, lmao

all paradox games have a lot of downtime it'd be unwatchable if there wasn't editing

the stream goes in with a set plan and a very narrow focus

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

When you're playing in Catholic Spain and you're your brother's heir and vice versa, is there a convenient way to off yourself rather than murdering him?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Elias_Maluco posted:

Me too

I planned to wait for the first deal to get this game but I dont know if Ill have the self control to do that

You cab always subscribe to a month of game pass for a dollar. Especially now while you're not missing out on DLC.

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE
Dec 30, 2010

"Not missing out on DLC"??!

*Gestures wildly at my HRE hat collection*

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

You cab always subscribe to a month of game pass for a dollar. Especially now while you're not missing out on DLC.

Yeah game pass is a real nice deal right now.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

ninjahedgehog posted:

The crusade seizing Galicia, only for the new kingdom to immediately fall to a Tomboy uprising and accept an alliance with its former king, is exactly the kind of story I love this series for.

That was some hilarious sped up Iran poo poo.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
I'm really looking for casual chill potential of CK3.

Usually I'm all for deep and complex strategy games or RPGs. But last month was tough one (I got twins, my country Belarus got a revolution with dead people on my street) and now I just want to chill the gently caress up. So my library of cool intellectual games doesn't really work for me now. I'm walking around in Assassin's Creed Odyssey and get really tired of trying to have fun from anything more complex.

So fellow lovers of needlessly complex
games, do you have any casual recommendations of any genre to pass the time while we're waiting for the release of CK3?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
So lemme get this straight

I can preorder this game for £42

Or I can pay £1 for a month of Microsoft Game Pass, and then £4 a month thereafter and get a shitload of other games too

Why did anyone preorder this

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Gort posted:

So lemme get this straight

I can preorder this game for £42

Or I can pay £1 for a month of Microsoft Game Pass, and then £4 a month thereafter and get a shitload of other games too

Wait, do you actually own it through game pass?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

wit posted:

Wait, do you actually own it through game pass?

No, but if I'm still playing it ten months down the line I can pick it up on sale for a tenner

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
The only thing I'm worried about with gamepass is mod access

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

More importantly, why aren't we all buying Game Pass and playing Plebby Quest??

it's because I want to reward Paradox for making the product I want tbh

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

ilitarist posted:

Usually I'm all for deep and complex strategy games or RPGs. But last month was tough one (I got twins, my country Belarus got a revolution with dead people on my street) and now I just want to chill the gently caress up. So my library of cool intellectual games doesn't really work for me now. I'm walking around in Assassin's Creed Odyssey and get really tired of trying to have fun from anything more complex.

games, do you have any casual recommendations of any genre to pass the time while we're waiting for the release of CK3?

Oof, twins. This is probably a terrible recommendation but when my last kid was born I played Kenshi for about a month straight, it can be janky as gently caress and ruthlessly difficult but the difficulty drops immensely if you save scum because it makes it easy to steal from the shops at night. Once you get going it's fun and chill to build an outpost somewhere and then go exploring with your fast/sneaky characters. And of course it's easy to pause and step away to change diapers etc. Super fun game but maybe too crazy for you right now, although I will say the combat doesn't require a lot of input from the player, it's real-time with pause and mostly automatic.

edit: If you do try it out, you should use a mod that increases XP gain, unless you don't mind getting your rear end kicked over and over again (which is normal in this game and not always a bad thing since it makes you come out stronger).

bees everywhere fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Aug 26, 2020

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Gort posted:

Not preordering but I will get it on Steam. Both times I've subbed to gamepass (so it's no longer 1$ for me), the games have deleted my saves and hidden my cursor (Frostpunk), changed the RT of my controller to "swap between fullscreen and windowed mode", made the B button randomly not work (Ori and the Blind Forest), crashed continuously (Bloodstained) and probably a couple of other things I'm forgetting.

But yeah, if it works it's a great deal.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Gort posted:

Microsoft Game Pass,

Microsoft has required me to

Have two copies of the game on my drive at any point.
One game in particular kept breaking every month or so, requiring me to download it again if I wanted to play.

If Game Pass works for you, that's fine, but I'm not exactly enthusiastic to download CKIII six hundred times.

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

ilitarist posted:

Three Moves Ahead podcast talked about the music a lot. It's very different from previous Paradox music where you just had a movie-style score playing in the background. Here the music is more ambient and subtle but deeply connected to what you see on the screen. Special event music is what you hear a lot, I understand.

I went and found this and yeah, everything you and they said sounds great to me.

Was there no official live stream today?

\/\/\/
aha, thank you

Saganlives fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Aug 26, 2020

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Kyle Hyde posted:

Was there no official live stream today?

There was, but apparently you'll find the VOD at the end of the Imperator stream they did right before it.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

ilitarist posted:

I dunno if this is an option but I get on comms and play civ6 with a friend. We'll both be teamed up so it's not like we're in danger of losing but it's just fun to spread out and expand and dick around with someone else there.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

MonikaTSarn posted:

It's not uncommon for devs/publishers/pr agencies to demand that a video only be of a certain length, or only authorising a single video, so they edited a lot in order to tell a better story rather than focus on the game itself.

Bettik
Jan 28, 2008

Space-age Rock Star
One limitation these videos all seem to have is no inheritance - it’s all the scope of a single character.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Bettik posted:

One limitation these videos all seem to have is no inheritance - it’s all the scope of a single character.

Agreed, but since Paradox's ask (based on what I saw of the videos) seems to have been "play up the revamped character-building and personality decisions," it makes sense.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

bees everywhere posted:

edit: If you do try it out, you should use a mod that increases XP gain, unless you don't mind getting your rear end kicked over and over again (which is normal in this game and not always a bad thing since it makes you come out stronger).

Thanks for the tip! Small scale real-time with pause games seem to be working fine.

Eimi posted:

I dunno if this is an option but I get on comms and play civ6 with a friend. We'll both be teamed up so it's not like we're in danger of losing but it's just fun to spread out and expand and dick around with someone else there.

Civ6 on lower difficulty might be fine too, yeah.

Thanks!

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!

Bettik posted:

spiffs video covered it but he ended it shortly after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!
Anyone down for a day 1 Succession game LP?