Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IAbsolveMyself
Feb 9, 2020
Yes, wrong Crobbler linkage, I think. Although, if you look carefully at pseudo-Crobbler's credits, some of his Discovery infotainment work is for ZDF, and ZDF Entertainment. I think it is reasonable to assume that the pseudo-Crobbler is a modified tank-grown clone of the OG thumb Crobbler. It makes sense when you really think about it, and explains a ton about what the funding is really for. Someone inform CTT!

edit: I can't figure out how to pay tax and I'm on a phone, so gently caress it.

IAbsolveMyself fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Aug 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
I obviously don't understand IMDB development

https://i.imgur.com/vvTBVVF.mp4

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Wouldn't it be awesome if you worked for a company where these weren't just nostalgic memories and you were allowed to go to these events without needing to be "in the bar next door"?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-eeNvUEGDk

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Oh my.

Well I mean honestly how hard can being the ceo of a multinational company be?

I'm sure the backers won't give a drat. This probably means they need to donate even more money to win back the interest of the savior of PC gaming!

Don't lose him, guys! Pledge more! Sure hon you really mean it!

:iiasb:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

MedicineHut posted:

:laffo: How much are you in for commando!

I'm in so deep they're inventing new Latin words to describe me as the literal Cleopatra of Idiris owning space supremacy.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

The Titanic posted:

Oh my.

Well I mean honestly how hard can being the ceo of a multinational company be?

I'm sure the backers won't give a drat. This probably means they need to donate even more money to win back the interest of the savior of PC gaming!

Don't lose him, guys! Pledge more! Sure hon you really mean it!

:iiasb:

I'm sure the commandos will be fine with this. A sign that the Crobear is backing away? Well, must mean we're pretty much ready to go. Full release in around 2 weeks, a month tops.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

henpod posted:

Where's that bloody SQ42 video they delayed a month (?) ago. Jesus christ.

I think you guys need to stop asking for this dumb poo poo now.

You need to be asking how you can get a pre-screening for the next Chris Roberts movie he directs. He's already done with this video game nonsense.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

That guy saying CIG marketing sucks? Hello? You still here? :D

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

colonelwest posted:

I had a nice chat recently with Vertisce over on Reddit. It’s good to see veteran commandos still fighting the good fight going on 9 years. Though you’d think that after 9 years of defending predatory capitalism and paying for the privilege, it would be easier to just volunteer your time packing boxes at your local Amazon warehouse.

You should ask him how he views CRs triumphant return to movie directing is for the future of his still broken CR video game, and how much effort he honestly thinks CR is putting into the video game.

We all knew long ago his passion was in the movie side of the "game". All this money just let him go live his dreams.

Good job, backers. Your "Fund My Life" campaign for CR was successful! :trustme:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Bootcha posted:

After some convo and digging, there's a fair chance this isn't our Chris Roberts.

I admit that I'm not good with movie directing and knowing who the right person is and just, you know, good names for people and stuff. But I'll have you know I absolve myself of this, so it's all good again! :iiasb:

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

AbstractNapper posted:

Plenty of time indeed. No need to worry that:
- Every Crobbler seems to be either distancing themselves or silently rolled out of the project
- "CIG" is no longer CI*G*
- SQ54's latest beta release date came and went, after years of other failed delivery dates.
- Theaters of Bore are still WIP and still a non-viable gameplay mode.
- The developers seem to only be a skeleton crew, if that.
- People are still needed to fill important roles.
- The project is in development hell for years.
- The update on the plan to eventually have a roadmap to the new roadmap is probably the joke of the year.
- No sane person with senior experience will want to attach their name to this raging trash fire.

It is fine.

biggest cause of burnout and job stress is being unhappy but having not control on the situation

now picture being brought on as team lead.

We want all this, by then !

Wow we need to look at scope and quality and resourcing

No. YOU NEED to do all this by THEN.

i thought you brought me on to help sort this out and push the product out the door and i'm telling you lots of the stuff your asking for doesn't even make sense?

his holiness grand master of bears, first of this scam dose not tolerate his vision being blurred into mediocrity or negative attitudes by lower downs so better hop to it.

Yes sir ! you will have my full 20% attention to the job in between looking for a new role and phone interviews. yes i work best from home.

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

Bootcha posted:

After some convo and digging, there's a fair chance this isn't our Chris Roberts.

IMDB is pretty useless. Anyone can add stuff ad hoc, but you can't get things removed from your own profile even after supplying documented proof.

I have a common name and idiots are always adding poo poo to mine, or adding my poo poo to someone else's.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

The Titanic posted:

I think you guys need to stop asking for this dumb poo poo now.

You need to be asking how you can get a pre-screening for the next Chris Roberts movie he directs. He's already done with this video game nonsense.

He should kickstart that movie. I'm sure plenty of backers would pledge.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

IAbsolveMyself posted:

Yes, wrong Crobbler linkage, I think. Although, if you look carefully at pseudo-Crobbler's credits, some of his Discovery infotainment work is for ZDF, and ZDF Entertainment. I think it is reasonable to assume that the pseudo-Crobbler is a modified tank-grown clone of the OG thumb Crobbler. It makes sense when you really think about it, and explains a ton about what the funding is really for. Someone inform CTT!

edit: I can't figure out how to pay tax and I'm on a phone, so gently caress it.

As we, the goon army, discover the truth behind CIG's lies - and after all this time it is laid bare; let me be the first to say these hallowed words: George. Soros.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Bootcha posted:

Is it this Chris Roberts?

'cuz I am a fan.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

The Titanic posted:

That guy saying CIG marketing sucks? Hello? You still here? :D
You could at least remember my name!

And sorry, I said it weirded me out, I don't really want to have some mean words fight about this stupid poo poo. Meanie.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

trucutru posted:

Is it this Chris Roberts?

'cuz I am a fan.
thats me after I gained some weight from covid

pls don't judge

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

I'm the ab vein.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

The thing where they desire their veins to look like the venom symbiote is possessing their limbs (or in his case, up through his dick and into his abs) is an odd one. (I know the name gently caress off)

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
It would be hilarious if they tried to kickstart a Star Citizen movie without the game ever being realized.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

no_recall posted:

It would be hilarious if they tried to kickstart a Star Citizen movie without the game ever being realized.

10 years into shooting and the movie is 20 Power Point slides and half way thru it corrupts your hard drive.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Speaking of movies, has anyone here ever actually seen the Wing Commander movie? I spend a good chunk of time watching YouTube reviews of bad movies but I've never actually seen anyone cover it.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Beluga Snail
Jul 26, 2013

Lammasu posted:

Speaking of movies, has anyone here ever actually seen the Wing Commander movie? I spend a good chunk of time watching YouTube reviews of bad movies but I've never actually seen anyone cover it.

This is how you end up doing the Lesnick Challenge.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Spiderdrake posted:

The thing where they desire their veins to look like the venom symbiote is possessing their limbs (or in his case, up through his dick and into his abs) is an odd one. (I know the name gently caress off)

it's called dehydration, seriously.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

December, 2015 - My Conclusion after months of consideration: Failure is illogical posted:

Hey guys, I love this game. profoundly. In fact, I'll go as far as to say it might become the most important thing happening in gaming this decade, period. Now, I've spent a lot of time thinking about this. I'd say most of my conversations as of late have been about it. Because I know how it sounds right? It sounds like I drank the cool-aid like some zealot, but I've spent lots of time trying to hypothetically destroy this project, and at this point, it's pretty air-tight. So I thought I'd talk for a bit about some elements that CIG REALLY have going for them, and why these elements are so important. Firstly,

Chris Roberts is making a game that draws in gamers of ALL types.

I've taken to thinking of games, not by the "genre" of their content, but by what the audience is getting out of the game. Call of Duty fans seek competition or domination, Portal fans seek the challenge of a difficult mental task, Telltale's audience seek a compelling narrative they can have some agency over, and Animal Crossing lovers seek self-expression and the simple joys of living a fictional life. There are several other "fulfillment types" but basically, the more itches a game scratches, the wider its potential audience. I'm working on a little action-platformer. No matter how good we make it, the audience of people who want to play it is finite. Very rarely we get a game that combines MANY of these types. Last time it was this little unassuming game called Minecraft. When power-gamers have a game they can share with their RPG adventurer friends and their social gamer friends alike, it makes our whole community stronger. It brings people of disparate groups together on a common ground, and when it works, like Minecraft, it becomes a global phenomenon. In Star Citizen we have so many different people drawn to an idea so tantalizing, so universally desperately wanted, that all Chris had to do was make some fancy 3D models and talk from a CG cockpit and people exploded in support. This is a game whose potential audience is boundless. The community support is what makes this possible, and seeing as the majority of people I've talked to are hopeful but haven't bought in, that means this mind-shattering 104 Million dollars is only from the most devout of early-adopters.

There's 3 essential ingredients to a good game. Time, Money, and People. Let's go over each.

MONEY

When you make games, especially on the AAA level, you are often gambling with a lot of very stuffy and concerned people's money. You learn to measure the greatness of a potential project within a box filled with publisher expectations, work expenses, time until launch, and the most effective places to cut corners. Above all else, this system incentivises and rewards safeness and often punishes attempts at innovation. People who provide the capital in this business don't care how good the game is, they care how many copies of it they can sell. The responsibility to maximize profit clashes with the desire to produce quality work in a way that is often toxic to games of this scale. These people and publishers will railroad and stonewall the developer on anything that isn't streamlined into this specific goal. They would rather spend less time and money on a mediocre game that will make back their investments than spend much more money on a truly ambitious and innovative project. To put it into TV terms, this is why Firefly got 1 season but 2 Broke Girls will be on for loving eternity... AAA is the only place to get the funds to do anything of serious production and it is the place where creativity goes to die a slow and painful death.

Star Citizen is throwing a brick through that loving establishment's window, and it's a glorious thing to witness. There's no loving Gate-keepers saying no to new ideas or compromising the vision of the game. No one is demanding that this or that feature be ripped out to get it on-sale for the kiddies by Christmas. The people providing the game's development funds aren't stuffy investors wanting Chris to help pay for their next yacht, they are people who care about Nothing but the quality of the final product* In this scenario the Responsibilities to the backers and the desire of the designers are sync'd up. One doesn't have to bow to the other, because they are the same. There is balance to the force..... (Cheap joke)

PEOPLE

This includes you guys! In the AAA, sometimes the company can be as bad as the shareholders or publishers. Sometime a company is just looking to stay afloat with an inoffensive shooter or get to the game that comes after this one. I talked about "Fulfillment types," and that applies to the creative process as much as gaming. It doesn't just matter what the game is going to be or how much money it's getting, it also matters Who is making the game, and what they are getting out of making it.

Star Citizen is different. If you haven't watched the hundreds of hours of community content, let me tell you, these people aren't after a paycheck. They aren't here to clock out at 5:00 and leave work at work. These people are passionate about this vision. They have all seen the potential future of gaming, and they want to be a part of it. Chris Roberts has a long history of successful games. He has a proven track record of making games that people still find timeless. There's also the fact that the guy is already rich. He's set for the rest of his life. He's doing this because he wants to make a masterpiece. He wants to leave his mark on games forever, and he knows that with enough talented minds working together, you can produce art that is greater than the sum of its parts. Every facet of this game's development promotes transparency, interaction and a deep passion for making the best game possible, not the biggest sum of profits. They already have all the profits they need, and that strategy has only made development that much better. These people want to make art, and that's important. When a game's driving force is passion and enthusiasm instead of Risk-Management, it makes everyone more happy. The Community is as enthusiastic as the people making it. They are people who embrace Chris's vision and they want their money used to make the exact kind of game he wants to make, free of compromise.

Even the naysayers and skeptics secretly want the game to succeed. Why wouldn't they? Is an "I told you so" really more important than an amazing game for us all to enjoy? If CIG wins we all win. The only people that don't want this game to succeed are the publishers and the shareholders. They see a game company finally breaking the shackles of using private funds and the control it gives them and it scares them. If they are expendable then how will they turn all their money into more money? Well it's too loving bad for the publishers, because they don't get a say. There is nothing they can do about it. Chris's team, (as we've been shown in the past year) is fully capable and talented. They've delivered the most early state of their vision, and it's already incredibly strong and compelling. They got called out quite a few times by various sources, and they showed the gently caress up. They have more than proven their worth, and now all that's left is to keep up business as usual. With this many minds and this effective of an infrastructure, basically all that's left is to stay the course.

TIME

Lastly, there's time. I'll keep this brief. I've been rambling for WAY too long...

Time didn't start in SC's favor, people were growing impatient, partially due to them not being used to being informed at every stage. People where calling out things like "Broken Promises." We've all seen the graph of the Timescales of various GOTY contenders, so I won't bore you with the arguments.

Star Citizen has switched from content-based updates to monthly updates, which is a HUGE thing for the game because instead of delaying patches, they are delaying features. Players will get to sign on every month and check out the new changes, and a steady stream of progress will be immediately visible month after month. What this means is that the game will be more than playable many many months before launch. Give me a small handful of systems and some Bounty Hunting/Shipping/Combat stuff to do in them and there goes 100 hours. People will be jumping into the game that is proving itself more and more with each patch. The game will be fun and truly engaging well before the final release, so even if that release is 3 years from now, it won't be spent waiting, it will be spent playing and building a community in the expanding universe. Also, Squadron 42 has a much more manageable scope and will be out next year or the year after at the latest. If that game is half as good as it sounds it's going to be, those sales will be enough to fund Star Citizen indefinitely. And at the end of the day, having to wait for a game is by far the least offensive problem that game can have right? I mean, you only have to wait for a delayed game once, but if the game comes out prematurely, it will likely just be bad forever. I want to show my future children this game more than I want to play it a year sooner. Basically CIG have all the resources they need to spend as much time as they want, and they have NO pressures to release anything before it's ready. This game will come out exactly when it's ready to, and whether that's another 2 years or another 5, all that matters is what it's like at the end.

Anyway, I think CIG are loving rock-stars and what they're doing will be, above all else, Remembered

Thanks for your time. See you guys in the Verse!

Edit: ok, I feel like I should put a little disclaimer here. I'm not some preacher out to spread the good word of Roberts, I just think there are valid reasons for optimism. No project is bullet proof, I'm just excited. These shouldn't be taken as arguments backed by resources, they're just the hyperbolic rantings of a true believer :P

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

quote:

In-game credit/lending system + Repossession missions
Discussion
August 18th at 4:29 pm
Imagine being able to purchase a ship in-game with an UEC loan.

Payments would be due to "Crusader Financial Services" on some real-time basis.

If payments were late, the collateral would become collectible for other players via a Repossion mission. Maybe there's some affinity for the salvage workflow here. For instance the ability to "tow" a ship back using a tractor beam. Or perhaps a QT Damper/EMP/ boarding mechanic if the ship needs to be taken by force.

The ship would need to be recovered intact for mission success. UEE laws against killing non-crimestat players would still be in effect.

Something akin to a credit score/credit history would be simple to implement to make credit decisioning work as well as things like insurance requirements on the ship and down payment as an offset to loan risk.

Trade ins? Could be a way to remove extraneous ships from asset databases.

In addition to being a helpful benefit for players, the loan repayment mechanic creates a real-time based incentive for players to play the game consistently, thus benefiting engagement.

Thoughts???

I’m the guy calculating in-game credit scores

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

"Now imagine MSFS2020 but without the flight sim.
That's SC."

Also didn't one of the Far Cry games only load the stuff that was in the player's view, offloading the stuff behind the player?

There's literally nothing SC is doing that is new or remarkable other than still having NPCs T-posing on chairs after so many years of development.

I think their point here is not really the streaming thing itself but the simple mention of MFS2020 casually elevating SC to the rank of God by virtue of the comparison. Playing the game itself shows it to be poo poo so the best way for these fuckers to get SC perception to improve is to just casually place it as a peer to actual acclaimed games.

MedicineHut fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Aug 27, 2020

L. Ron Hoover
Nov 9, 2009

Mirificus posted:

Spreading the good word of Roberts

You know, this game is at least keeping a few people like this from joining an actual cult and going on Manson-like rampage or something

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Midnight Voyager posted:

it's called dehydration, seriously.
I was actually thinking vascularity or whatever the gently caress they currently call it but you made me laugh outloud.

I mean yeah, that ultimately is what it is, but they would argue and spend millions on dumb supplements to go for that look. Fitness culture is so weird.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

I swear to god, if SC gets delayed for 7 years more I will start thinking it may be borderline a scam.

BRB pooping
Apr 17, 2008
I sold my freelancer 5 years ago when it became clear that this would never ever be anything. How is this zombie-project still stumbling along? Im loving amazed

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer

MedicineHut posted:

I swear to god, if SC gets delayed for 7 years more I will start thinking it may be borderline a scam.

Seems like 7 years from now is the perfect time to buy in. Surely its release will be right around the corner at that point.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Lammasu posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEX02907nPY

Although I gather something happened with Spoony, so you may not want to watch if it's turned out he's a Nazi pedo or something. Can't be bothered to sit through long videos pontificating on what happened to some internet reviewer.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Sunswipe posted:

Although I gather something happened with Spoony, so you may not want to watch if it's turned out he's a Nazi pedo or something. Can't be bothered to sit through long videos pontificating on what happened to some internet reviewer.
I don't know if he's actually nazi grooming pedo racist or whatever, but a quick google shows he had a successful crowdfunding parade going, reached a goal he didn't feel confident in, people continued to give him money while he struggled to produce content and it slowly melted down from there.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Spiderdrake posted:

I was actually thinking vascularity or whatever the gently caress they currently call it but you made me laugh outloud.

I mean yeah, that ultimately is what it is, but they would argue and spend millions on dumb supplements to go for that look. Fitness culture is so weird.

If you cannot see your goddamn capilaries bulging out then how do you know you got swole?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

trucutru posted:

If you cannot see your goddamn capilaries bulging out then how do you know you got swole?
When you bust onto the scene and someone is like "And suddenly out comes trucutru looking completely square. He looks like a refrigerator."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mirificus posted:

Chris Roberts is making a game that draws in gamers of ALL types.

Well, not me, though.