Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Donkringel posted:

This is dumb and I shouldn't post this, but I have to.

Now that Bob has broken the gate to become the first person banned, the seal is now weaker.

Others will soon follow.
“From this hour forward the posts of this thread will be barred to my kin. Do not underestimate them. Do not commune with them. Do not send them PMs, or quote or reply if they post on alts. Many of them have a sweet avatar and a cool tag. They will say their wish is to be a good poster, to provide content of quality. In an earlier thread, this was true. Now trolls and worse have crept into their ranks. Madness has consumed them. Their only passion now is a lust for shitposting and pedantry.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

paranoid randroid posted:

final chapter opens with ONE YEAR LATER

pan down to the deck of the airship, where solomon david stands, in a pair of boating shorts and a hawaiian shirt, grilling and drinking a beer
He's got a six pack of beer perpetually curled around one finger. It never seems to be empty.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Algid posted:

“From this hour forward the posts of this thread will be barred to my kin. Do not underestimate them. Do not commune with them. Do not send them PMs, or quote or reply if they post on alts. Many of them have a sweet avatar and a cool tag. They will say their wish is to be a good poster, to provide content of quality. In an earlier thread, this was true. Now trolls and worse have crept into their ranks. Madness has consumed them. Their only passion now is a lust for shitposting and pedantry.”

Bravo.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

ThaumPenguin posted:

I seriously doubt Abbadon would present an ending involving closing the borders sealing the gates as anything desirable.

From what I've seen, it'd go against his worldview and the messages he's trying to convey through KSBD, particularly the whole bit about fostering widespread cooperation with the goal of dismantling tyrants and the systems that create and bolster them.

There wouldn't be force of natures introduced like Gogagog or Jagganoth if the theme was as pedestrian as 'tear down the system' like an angsty teen

You can't reason with them, they don't care about identity or politics or power structures and the lovely Cold War that exists is currently the only thing keeping them in check

Lumping in symptoms of the sickness like SD or Mottom because they obtained power and choose to abuse it is a knee-jerk that Allison hasn't grown out of yet

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Victis posted:

There wouldn't be force of natures introduced like Gogagog or Jagganoth if the theme was as pedestrian as 'tear down the system' like an angsty teen

You can't reason with them, they don't care about identity or politics or power structures and the lovely Cold War that exists is currently the only thing keeping them in check

Lumping in symptoms of the sickness like SD or Mottom because they obtained power and choose to abuse it is a knee-jerk that Allison hasn't grown out of yet

Gogagog and Jagganoth are forces of nature now, but were not always. What exactly do you imagine to be "the sickness" if not the system of might makes right established, and glorified, by Zoss?

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
I mean Abbadon literally said Jagganoth has the multiverse's most extreme case of PTSD because of the Universal War. All of his actions are because of that.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Captain Oblivious posted:

Gogagog and Jagganoth are forces of nature now, but were not always. What exactly do you imagine to be "the sickness" if not the system of might makes right established, and glorified, by Zoss?

Jagganoth is Allison's path up to this point taken to the logical extreme, and Gog just wants to gently caress with everyone until they fail.

As far as the sickness, the existence of the keys as a whole? The greed of humanity that treated the gates and wheel as a gold rush (and will continue to do so)? I don't see how you put the cat back in the bag. Power is always going to exist. Zoss didn't invent that concept, but he did eventually realize it's limitations.

Allison isn't currently trying to do anything but defeat power with power, thus the whole point of the prison scene. The desire to see tyrants humbled by force is laudable but we were just explicitly told on-page that it's a fool's game

Victis fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Aug 26, 2020

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Ultimately it’s probably going to be a depowering if the keys and everything collapsing. You can’t stop gog or jag if they still have their power. I assume that’s what breaking the wheel means.

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012

Song of Maybe posted:

“Now I will make of this stone Earth and Water both,” said Intra, standing in front of the blaze.

Next Intra is going to dig a well, and THEN he brains the lord with the rock when he proclaims that the rock will now turn to food. Or turns the rock into air by throwing it so hard that it vaporises along with the lord.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Zernach posted:

Next Intra is going to dig a well, and THEN he brains the lord with the rock when he proclaims that the rock will now turn to food. Or turns the rock into air by throwing it so hard that it vaporises along with the lord.

I'm getting a strong Stone Soup vibe from the whole story, so I'm guessing he's going to con them into feeding the village and then kill them when they get pissed and attack him.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

TK-42-1 posted:

Ultimately it’s probably going to be a depowering if the keys and everything collapsing. You can’t stop gog or jag if they still have their power. I assume that’s what breaking the wheel means.

they're gonna change the keys so that instead of being shonen martial arts bullshit they're shonen cooking bullshit

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
He's going to turn the rock into lava, which is both fire and water at once.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Tulip posted:

they're gonna change the keys so that instead of being shonen martial arts bullshit they're shonen cooking bullshit

This but unironically.

I’d read Peel Six Billion Potatoes.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Allison defeats Jagganoth by cooking him a bowl of noodles that reminds him of his childhood like the end of Ratatouille.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

TK-42-1 posted:

That's only if you select the Destroy ending.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Begemot posted:

Allison defeats Jagganoth by cooking him a bowl of noodles that reminds him of his childhood like the end of Ratatouille.

His childhood was being a child soldier who experienced no love.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

skaianDestiny posted:

These noodles are so good they remind him of a happy childhood he never had.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

skaianDestiny posted:

Child soldiers eat noodles too

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Who What Now posted:

So what you're saying is, the noodles trigger his severe ptsd.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Joe Slowboat posted:

I just think that ‘peace’ and ‘order’ are not presented as the same thing in this comic.

I had no disagreement with anything you said actually, but the way you said it sounded so much like Dune/Dune Messiah I couldn't resist the joke.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Who What Now posted:

noodles, gunpowder, and cocaine, just like El Jefe's enforcers used to make

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
So question, why does mottom age while none of the other demiurges do? Gog and Mammon make sense, but salami, incubus, maaayyybbbbeee jaganoth do not.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Donkringel posted:

So question, why does mottom age while none of the other demiurges do? Gog and Mammon make sense, but salami, incubus, maaayyybbbbeee jaganoth do not.
The human Demiurges all age, the key doesn't do anything about that, they just have various techniques to deal with it in their own way.

Salami has his Xianxia breathing techniques bullshit, Incubus practices Head of John, which gives him an immortal head and might let him do full body transplants,
no idea what Jag did before his 30 nails of /godmode on, or what Jadis has going on.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I think Jadis is only immortal in the sense that she's trapped in a wack-rear end crystal prison

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I think Jadis is only immortal in the sense that she's trapped in a wack-rear end crystal prison

Jadis is different; She was dumb enough to look at the Shape of the Universe and now really wishes she could die but actually can't.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

The Shape of the Wheel is just the message "An error has occured. Please contact your system administrator"

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
IIRC Abbadon implied in WoG somewhere that Mottom was aging because she thought she should be aging and is afraid of death, but now after Allison destroyed the tree she's too pissed off to age, even though she's eating less peaches.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

SardonicTyrant posted:

The Shape of the Wheel is just the message "An error has occured. Please contact your system administrator"

I thought the thread had a consensus on this one:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

skaianDestiny posted:

IIRC Abbadon implied in WoG somewhere that Mottom was aging because she thought she should be aging and is afraid of death, but now after Allison destroyed the tree she's too pissed off to age, even though she's eating less peaches.

And Allison apparently cured Mammon’s Fantasy Dementia by getting him pissed off at her, too. So is she about to get Solomon to learn to let go of his empire by majorly ticking him off?

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Regalingualius posted:

And Allison apparently cured Mammon’s Fantasy Dementia by getting him pissed off at her, too. So is she about to get Solomon to learn to let go of his empire by majorly ticking him off?

Mammon's not pissed at Allison, he's pissed at Mottom for killing his people. Which is kinda sweet he's more concerned about their lives instead of how his vault was breached and his money spilling everywhere.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

skaianDestiny posted:

Mammon's not pissed at Allison, he's pissed at Mottom for killing his people. Which is kinda sweet he's more concerned about their lives instead of how his vault was breached and his money spilling everywhere.

He was pretty pissed at the Count being ruined. Now he has to actually calculate and think again rather than just watch numbers go up.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Neddy Seagoon posted:

He was pretty pissed at the Count being ruined. Now he has to actually calculate and think again rather than just watch numbers go up.

He can be pissed about more than one thing.

I dunno, I always got the impression that Mammon's whole schtick was more about the priests than about Mammon. Mammon's dotage seems to have been something carefully cultivated by the bondage nun and her followers, ostensibly for Mammon's own sake, and the whole ritual of the count seems to have been devised as a distraction more than anything. His reaction to an intruder popping up and throwing off the routine was to immediately get super loving depressed and wish for death, which the priests don't appreciate for whatever combination of reasons, so they try to keep him focused on this endless, pointless task so that he doesn't have to dwell on his many regrets. He openly admits that it holds no interest or meaning to him, but it beats thinking about anything else.

That's why he was "cured" so quickly when Mottom showed up--he wasn't exactly senile, but he had been lulled into this senseless routine by his handlers to keep him docile and complacent. Mottom blowing his poo poo up simultaneously shook him out of that and also gave him a much more pressing distraction.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Not really? If he was really pissed he'd have demanded more than a verbal apology from Allison. Meanwhile, he was calling Mottom a murderer while breathing fire in the demiurge meeting, instead of mentioning anything about his money.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
We saw old kind & regreful Mammon wake up and become angry Mammon. You don't want to make someone who is trying to be nice lose their poo poo because if the nice approach doesn't work up front they won't hold back later.

I reckon Mammon (offscreen) will have pushed back Mottom (by virtue of being a large angry dragon vs a vaguely human woman, if we assume their keys are rough equilizers) though ultimately it doesn't matter. Without the 6 working together to keep the multiversal apocalpyse scenario in check then Metatron & co will enact their long game plan and that's that.

Unless some idiot barista kicks over the apple cart in a clever and unconventional way.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

While the Keys are just as powerful (each actually being a combination of 111,111 keys) they're not equalizers as much as they are intensifiers of your existing abilities.

Mottom may be a human, but she is also a powerful witch and a master of the Red and White Arts, abilities amplified by her Key.

Mammon does not have mastery of the Arts or of any school of combat. His strength lies in his sheer key-amplified size and particularly his wealth. He bought his key.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

ThaumPenguin posted:

I seriously doubt Abbadon would present an ending involving closing the borders sealing the gates as anything desirable.

From what I've seen, it'd go against his worldview and the messages he's trying to convey through KSBD, particularly the whole bit about fostering widespread cooperation with the goal of dismantling tyrants and the systems that create and bolster them.

Still remember how pissed I was when star ocean 4 ended like that. Can't believe I sat through dozens of hours of anime star trek just to be told "Sakoku was good, actually"

So yeah, I hope that's not where all this is going.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
At the end of the comic Allison goes full Syndrome and gives everyone a perfect copy of the Key of Kings so everyone can be an equally powerful kung fu punch wizard

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it
were the Arts expounded on in detail in the comic or were they in those loreposts in the description that I always try and fail to remember to read

I just assumed some people just randomly had bullshit magic powers and that was Mottom's deal

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

Lights, the Peacock King, First of His Name.

fluffyDeathbringer posted:

were the Arts expounded on in detail in the comic or were they in those loreposts in the description that I always try and fail to remember to read

I just assumed some people just randomly had bullshit magic powers and that was Mottom's deal

Cio explicitly tells Allison that the Red Art is used to turn a Thing into a Different Thing at the beginning of this book. I don't know if the White Art is ever talked about directly in-text, but it is referenced in some of the under-comic stories I believe?

Mottom demonstrates her mastery of the Red Art in transforming an angry prince into a tree, his retainer into cherry blossoms, and at the first Demiurge conference, Gog Agog's face into a bunch of exploded dead worms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

All of the keys are descendants of Zoss' key, right? Like, each one resonates with a particular universe but they're all because he ripped the master resonance from Metatron. Would it be possible to cut off that power from the master switch/key? I assume that when demiurges give some of their power to the emissaries they can pull it back at any time.