Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Icedude posted:

I had no idea it was possible to torque the screws on a VGA cable so much the only way to unscrew it is with an electric screwdriver, but here we are :cripes:

A significant proportion of people think those screws are holding the two halves of the universe together and need to be tightened accordingly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
I usually do one of them maybe half a turn. One time someone knocked a VGA out of the MDs computer whilst doing something else then (tried to) blame me for not tightening them up properly.

I just use display port now so that's better.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

angry armadillo posted:

I just use display port now so that's better.

Maybe better at ripping out metal, here it's not uncommon to have towers or monitors chassis and connectors being ripped by those metal anchor pins

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't think people are actually cranking down on those vga screws, they just kind of cold weld themselves into position after some amount of time. I learned pretty early on in my IT career to never screw in a vga cable because even a half turn is impossible to remove after a year of sitting underneath a desk. It was compounded by the problem that the little nubs you had available to grip were too short and had no texture so your fingers would slip off.

By the time everything was DVI they had more or less figured it out, and most connectors even had a slot for a flathead screwdriver (that you couldn't use because as LCD's became popular there was a trend to angle the port downwards so it was flush with the panel, making it impossible to get a screwdriver in there). Could still be a pain in the rear end though (I had several systems where the sockets on the video card would break loose and unscrew themselves instead of the cable unscrewing from the socket).

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I put loctite on my vga screws

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

xzzy posted:

I don't think people are actually cranking down on those vga screws, they just kind of cold weld themselves into position after some amount of time. I learned pretty early on in my IT career to never screw in a vga cable because even a half turn is impossible to remove after a year of sitting underneath a desk. It was compounded by the problem that the little nubs you had available to grip were too short and had no texture so your fingers would slip off.
I would have agreed with you up until the incident I referenced above, but this particular tech was so unable to say 'oops I knocked off the connector, I'll go put it back' he will make a point of doing them all super tight to justify that the reason it fell off was my fault for not tightening them all to the strength of a weld.

Given he is the epitome of the neckbeard IT worker stereotype, I am sure there are more of his sort doing this.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

xzzy posted:

By the time everything was DVI they had more or less figured it out, and most connectors even had a slot for a flathead screwdriver (that you couldn't use because as LCD's became popular there was a trend to angle the port downwards so it was flush with the panel, making it impossible to get a screwdriver in there).

This was part of why I owned a 90 degree angle screwdriver as a field tech. Slow as hell, but better than not being able to do anything with it.

Jeoh posted:

I put loctite on my vga screws

This was the other part, whoever put the vga cables into the monitors at the stores I worked at did that for all of them. Thankfully blue loctite, if it was red I wouldn't have been able to do my job without getting a torch and melting the monitor.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i got a close-quarters screwdriver from amazon for like eight bucks and it's one of the most useful tools i have. can't recommend one highly enough

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

By the time everything was DVI they had more or less figured it out, and most connectors even had a slot for a flathead screwdriver (that you couldn't use because as LCD's became popular there was a trend to angle the port downwards so it was flush with the panel, making it impossible to get a screwdriver in there). Could still be a pain in the rear end though (I had several systems where the sockets on the video card would break loose and unscrew themselves instead of the cable unscrewing from the socket).

You should never crank down on any screw you may have to remove at some point. Finger-tight is probably a little too tight in the case of the VGA screws in particular.

loving people with loving motherboard screws are the worst. "Make sure this will NEVER MOVE AGAIN."

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Thanatosian posted:

You should never crank down on any screw you may have to remove at some point. Finger-tight is probably a little too tight in the case of the VGA screws in particular.

loving people with loving motherboard screws are the worst. "Make sure this will NEVER MOVE AGAIN."

Always have a bag of these stashed in your desk:

https://www.newegg.com/tekit-6-32/p/1W8-00GE-00001?Description=thumbscrews&cm_re=thumbscrews-_-9SIA50M5529330-_-Product

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
My favorite are the thumbscrews with plastic notches for screwdrivers, so if you give up on life and try to use one to unscrew it, it just shreds the plastic instantly.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Tfw you have to unscrew a VGA screw three degrees a turn with a pliers at an awkward angle

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Did You Know that ratchet socket wrench kits also come with screwdriver bits in them? And they're already designed to operate at 90º in confined spaces. And they ratchet.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Can recommend

https://products.wera.de/en/zyklop_ratchets_and_accessories_zyklop_mini_bit-check_10_zyklop_mini_1.html

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Jaded Burnout posted:

Did You Know that ratchet socket wrench kits also come with screwdriver bits in them? And they're already designed to operate at 90º in confined spaces. And they ratchet.

Boy I wish someone, possibly named Weedle, had mentioned this four posts ago, what a jerk.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
VGA and DVI were mistakes.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
if you have a better port to dual-link to a 2560 × 1600 display I'd like to hear it!!!

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Blue Moonlight posted:

My favorite are the thumbscrews with plastic notches for screwdrivers, so if you give up on life and try to use one to unscrew it, it just shreds the plastic instantly.

The VGA cables I mentioned earlier had these. The fucker that installed them in had hosed them up screwing them IN.

I spent today re-attaching all those VGA and Aux cables back where I removed them from, because it turns out nobody checked if the DVI ports on these PCs were the right kind for the DVI->HDMI cables we were installing, so none of the TVs we were hooking up had sound any more :shepicide:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

klosterdev posted:

if you have a better port to dual-link to a 2560 × 1600 display I'd like to hear it!!!

I think I will just use 2560 x 1440 with a single display port cable and call it a day.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Pissing me off: Microsoft Surfaces mysteriously losing 2 years off their system clocks, causing our imaging product to silently fail with no indication of the issue.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Super Soaker Party! posted:

Boy I wish someone, possibly named Weedle, had mentioned this four posts ago, what a jerk.

They're different tools, but OK.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Jaded Burnout posted:

They're different tools, but OK.

Yeah I was posting while in a bad mood sorry. Should know better.

Second Thants suggestion of Wera, they make good stuff.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
IF THIS GODDAMNED HOMEBREWED ORACLE DB PROGRAM FOCUS STEALS AND CHANGES WHAT FIELD I'M TYPING INTO ONE MORE GODDAMN TIME I'M GOING TO HURK THIS loving THINKPAD THROUGH THE GODDAMNED WINDOW HARD ENOUGH TO WIND UP IN THE loving GIN ROOM

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Sounds like you need to make your office the gin room tbqh

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

tactlessbastard posted:

IF THIS GODDAMNED HOMEBREWED ORACLE DB PROGRAM FOCUS STEALS AND CHANGES WHAT FIELD I'M TYPING INTO ONE MORE GODDAMN TIME I'M GOING TO HURK THIS loving THINKPAD THROUGH THE GODDAMNED WINDOW HARD ENOUGH TO WIND UP IN THE loving GIN ROOM

:allears:

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
200k gallons of gin in there and I don't even like gin

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I have unscrewed so many of those loving VGA jack screws from the monitor because some hambeast loving crossthreaded the cable connector and just kept on going.
I've had some screwed on so tight that the actual cable side of the screw (the plastic head) comes off, leaving the jack screw and cable screw in there.
I've had plenty of them just snap off in the socket because they were so tight.

gently caress VGA screws.

Wera drivers are cool and good though.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

At least monitors have stopped coming from the factory with the VGA cable in place and tightened to the same sort of torque that you’d put wheels on your car with

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
drat, just got let go today out of the blue. Was told it was because they were eliminating my position altogether (I was in a remote office). Get 2 months of severance and should be able to get unemployment too I hope but still, that was unexpected.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Thanks Ants posted:

At least monitors have stopped coming from the factory with the VGA cable in place and tightened to the same sort of torque that you’d put wheels on your car with

I remember that. Trying to strip cables off of 80 monitors was negative fun.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

cage-free egghead posted:

drat, just got let go today out of the blue. Was told it was because they were eliminating my position altogether (I was in a remote office). Get 2 months of severance and should be able to get unemployment too I hope but still, that was unexpected.

Crap. I am sorry to hear that. :(

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Thanks Ants posted:

Not just the torque you would use, the torque the shop uses because they like to blast the nuts on with a 1000ftlb impact.

Sorry about that egghead. I hate my job, but at least it's stable, you can't maintain 24/7 coverage without enough people to be on 24/7.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

drat, that sucks monkey balls.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

That sucks. Good luck!

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Teams multi-tenant support needs to get loving fixed ASAP

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

That sucks and I empathize. I got cut loose back in May but recently landed a new gig. Hang in there!

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
Howdy all - long time no post (not that you missed me). 2020 has been loving annoying. I was hospitalized in January and had to have surgery for an abscess. That was fun, although the 6 weeks of disability were convenient. My cousin died from cancer right after I was admitted to the hospital, and my uncle on my dad's side was destroyed, since he was his oldest child. My mom's brother's health took a nose-dive and he passed away in April.

Work is work - I'm still at the same company I started working for back in Mar 2018, with Supervisor #6 hanging in since November. Small team, but a good mixture of skills. I got to play around a lot with Horizon and I'm basically rebuilding the entire VDI infrastructure from the ground up. Getting to provide a lot of input into how we should arrange things, since a lot of our issues stem from everything being completely useless and implemented without a plan or with best practices in mind. I mean, I get that it's a development network, but for gently caress's sake why did you set the switches and firewalls up that way?!

I'm currently doing battle with a plucky little DC that was turned into an intermediary CA on a sub-domain, and was issuing all of our certs for some reason. Turning it off caused our vCenter server to crash and burn. Certs and domains are quickly coming up on expiration, and trying to explain to leadership why letting them expire would be bad is about as useful as punching myself in the nuts.

I go into the office one day a week for project work, but the PM keeps screaming that she needs me and a co-worker in the office more, but when we do show up there's nothing for us to do. Finally pushed back on that and told her that I lived 10 minutes away and I could drive in if it's an emergency. Haven't been called in once. She still complains to big boss that she needs us, but she's unwilling to put project dollars where her mouth is when we offered to come in and sit in the office on her dime on the off-chance she might need us for something.

I've been training our intern/engineering aide for the last 2 years and he's turned into a caffeine-addicted, sarcastic, user-hating junior, and I couldn't be more proud. I keep asking for another intern to warp, but leadership is scared of the idea and hesitant to let me unleash a new horror on the userbase. Since Supervisor #6 is firmly in my corner and not only approves, but encourages, our terrorizing of the helots ("What do you mean you need a charge code for the work?! We never had to pay for hardware, VM setup and config or anything else before!") complaints are few and easily ignored. I'm currently trying to pick up knowledge and experience with AWS, as that seems to be the growing trend for the work we're doing.

So aside from a global pandemic and relatives dropping like flies (I expect a few more to go before the year is over) I'm still doing well. Of course, that just means I'm storing up an especially nasty surprise when karma kicks me in the rear end and nuts simultaneously at some point. Stay safe!

Lynxifer
Jan 2, 2005
Comedy "Buttsecks" Option

The Fool posted:

Teams multi-tenant support needs to get loving fixed ASAP

"Oh, do people use it like that? Just open another browser!"

-Some asshat from Microsoft trying to sell us their cloud VoIP system and telling us about Teams integration

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Howdy all - long time no post (not that you missed me). 2020 has been loving annoying. I was hospitalized in January and had to have surgery for an abscess. That was fun, although the 6 weeks of disability were convenient. My cousin died from cancer right after I was admitted to the hospital, and my uncle on my dad's side was destroyed, since he was his oldest child. My mom's brother's health took a nose-dive and he passed away in April.

Work is work - I'm still at the same company I started working for back in Mar 2018, with Supervisor #6 hanging in since November. Small team, but a good mixture of skills. I got to play around a lot with Horizon and I'm basically rebuilding the entire VDI infrastructure from the ground up. Getting to provide a lot of input into how we should arrange things, since a lot of our issues stem from everything being completely useless and implemented without a plan or with best practices in mind. I mean, I get that it's a development network, but for gently caress's sake why did you set the switches and firewalls up that way?!

I'm currently doing battle with a plucky little DC that was turned into an intermediary CA on a sub-domain, and was issuing all of our certs for some reason. Turning it off caused our vCenter server to crash and burn. Certs and domains are quickly coming up on expiration, and trying to explain to leadership why letting them expire would be bad is about as useful as punching myself in the nuts.

I go into the office one day a week for project work, but the PM keeps screaming that she needs me and a co-worker in the office more, but when we do show up there's nothing for us to do. Finally pushed back on that and told her that I lived 10 minutes away and I could drive in if it's an emergency. Haven't been called in once. She still complains to big boss that she needs us, but she's unwilling to put project dollars where her mouth is when we offered to come in and sit in the office on her dime on the off-chance she might need us for something.

I've been training our intern/engineering aide for the last 2 years and he's turned into a caffeine-addicted, sarcastic, user-hating junior, and I couldn't be more proud. I keep asking for another intern to warp, but leadership is scared of the idea and hesitant to let me unleash a new horror on the userbase. Since Supervisor #6 is firmly in my corner and not only approves, but encourages, our terrorizing of the helots ("What do you mean you need a charge code for the work?! We never had to pay for hardware, VM setup and config or anything else before!") complaints are few and easily ignored. I'm currently trying to pick up knowledge and experience with AWS, as that seems to be the growing trend for the work we're doing.

So aside from a global pandemic and relatives dropping like flies (I expect a few more to go before the year is over) I'm still doing well. Of course, that just means I'm storing up an especially nasty surprise when karma kicks me in the rear end and nuts simultaneously at some point. Stay safe!

I'm just some random rear end in a top hat on the internet but I'm really sorry to hear that you've had a tough go of it. Cancer loving sucks, as does hospitalization.

:(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:
I've been experimenting with a Matrix instant messaging setup because SMS/MMS has become unreliable to the point that multiple contacts are verifying that messages are randomly lost in either direction.

I set up my own server... works great... then I get to the app clients.
Element Desktop is based on Electron and loads like the (previously Riot.IM) chat website does but in a standalone window. The fonts look like poo poo and the UI spacing is clunky and inconsistent. Looks like your standard hodgepodge $15.95 an hour "programmer contractor" bullshit.

Then I grab Nheko which is native Qt and way better. They've got their software in the distros and as a Flatpak. I think the concept of a Flatpak/AppImage/Snap package is great... but holy moly the bloat can pile up. The Nheko Flatpak was 400 mb, but the native distro download delta was like 10 mb.

There's the Element Android app which functions fine, and the system as a whole is good and functions how I need it.

But this is where we are in 2020-- bloat, bloat, and more bloat and what got us here is lower standards for what is quality. But I see why, too--Electron is a solid way to deliver an app across platforms with minimal development... but without competition is has stagnated into being too obviously Chrome wrapped up in a webapp.