Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Also with lovely people, # of failed marriages is an important red flag because it makes it increasingly obvious that the problem was likely them and not their exes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Leviathan Song posted:

I understand the sentiment but disagree. My grandma survived two good Men and raised 6 of their kids. If she'd found another man after her second husband died of cancer in her 50s, I wouldn't have begrudged her that. You don't get to arbitrarily decide other people's relationships just because you've lived a charmed life.

"Survived" as in, til death do us part?

(Obviously I don't actually want to ban any type of marriage - I just don't get what people think marriage IS when they're on their 3rd one. Luckily I don't need to understand!)

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Haifisch posted:

Also with lovely people, # of failed marriages is an important red flag because it makes it increasingly obvious that the problem was likely them and not their exes.

Usually it's both of them TBH.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

(Obviously I don't actually want to ban any type of marriage - I just don't get what people think marriage IS when they're on their 3rd one. Luckily I don't need to understand!)

Shouldn't a wife immolate herself on her husband's funeral pyre as is customary? "'Til death" is some messed up western corruption.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

(Obviously I don't actually want to ban any type of marriage - I just don't get whatNot everyone gets to live a lo people think marriage IS when they're on their 3rd one. Luckily I don't need to understand!)

Yes two husbands died. My aunt Carol survived 8 spouses, 2 of whom were great guys I had the opportunity to know. She only divorced her ninth husband who was an abusive rear end in a top hat. 3rd wife or husband is a completely reasonable concept because not everyone gets to live to old age and not everybody makes the right choice their first time.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

People generally don't go into relationships assuming "this one is going to fail so what's the point?".

Also marriage still has a bunch of legal benefits that make sense for long-term relationships. It's the reason anyone bothers getting married at all, other than religious reasons.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Leviathan Song posted:

Yes two husbands died. My aunt Carol survived 8 spouses, 2 of whom were great guys I had the opportunity to know. She only divorced her ninth husband who was an abusive rear end in a top hat. 3rd wife or husband is a completely reasonable concept because not everyone gets to live to old age and not everybody makes the right choice their first time.

2 things:

It's pretty obvious he's not talking about widows.

Also, 8 husbands died on her? Sorry to tell you this but your aunt Carol is a black widow.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Haifisch posted:

marriage still has a bunch of legal benefits that make sense for long-term relationships. It's the reason anyone bothers getting married at all, other than religious reasons.

WHaaaaaat this is crazy coconuts to me. Publicly making and celebrating your lifelong commitment to someone in front of all your friends and family??

Don't get me wrong, I'm on #2 and the ex is very much still alive, but my personal experience is that if this one doesn't work out, holy poo poo I am never getting married again

Pre-empting the derail bird

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Once you've done a take-it-backsy on "til death do us part" I think you should just stick to having Girlfriends. Save on the paperwork!

You know, you don't have to actually say that to get married

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

therobit posted:

Also, 8 husbands died on her? Sorry to tell you this but your aunt Carol is a black widow.

Yeah, this. 3-4 would be suspicious enough! Jokes?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

therobit posted:

2 things:

It's pretty obvious he's not talking about widows.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

BMan posted:

You know, you don't have to actually say that to get married

Indeed, I did not when I got married, because both of us were children of divorce and we knew that people change. We got married because we believed we would be happier married, and we got divorced when we believed, after substantial consideration and counseling, that we would be happier not being married. As far as I know, neither of us have any regrets about either the marriage or the divorce, and if I remarry I strongly suspect my ex will be in attendance. (And there won’t be any “until death do us part” bullshit that time either.)

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

Lol at a “twice-married” condemning the “three-times-married.” You’re gonna be a judgey wudgey about “till death do us part” while you’ve also reneged on that vow? Who cares?

While we’re at it, people should only be allowed two mortgages, two car notes, and one revision of their will, since were setting arbitrary limits on how many contracts someone should be morally allowed to sign.

I’m on the other side, if you’re in an LTR just get married. Divorce gives a formal, legal framework of “how to break up.” I judge people that buy a house of have a kid together, but then still won’t get married because THATS too much commitment. (This is one of my favorite themes in BWM it comes up all the time)

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Switchback posted:

Lol at a “twice-married” condemning the “three-times-married.” You’re gonna be a judgey wudgey about “till death do us part” while you’ve also reneged on that vow? Who cares?

While we’re at it, people should only be allowed two mortgages, two car notes, and one revision of their will, since were setting arbitrary limits on how many contracts someone should be morally allowed to sign.

No condemning or judgment here. Wide miss with this post!

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Just realized how strange it is for a religion that believes in an after life and heaven to have "till death do us part" in their wedding vows.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I feel the this thread should be focusing less on the number of marriages and more on the last minute prenup, hidden in a closet with an eye towards taking the house, nuptial preparations.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Just realized how strange it is for a religion that believes in an after life and heaven to have "till death do us part" in their wedding vows.

What do you think heaven is? Going in married is like bringing sand to the beach.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

quote:

I also was surprised and upset because they charged me 5% again to invest in a different fund less than a month later. My friend said it was because they needed to rebalance because of the pandemic.

Holy poo poo. Is that even legal? I suppose it is if you've found someone dumb enough to sign a contract that says "We can charge 5% of your total investment as a fee to rebalance at our discretion whenever we feel like it in addition to the usurious fees we are already charging you" but goddamn.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
mandatory divorces every 5 years, get married again if you wanna stay

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
get the ghost of zsa zsa gabor to write the divorce laws. or mao zedong for some reason

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

bob dobbs is dead posted:

mandatory divorces every 5 years, get married again if you wanna stay
How about stack ranking marriages? Every year, every marriage gets ranked and the bottom 10% are automatically divorced.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
give your husband a pip

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Dik Hz posted:

How about stack ranking marriages? Every year, every marriage gets ranked and the bottom 10% are automatically divorced.

Who ranks the marriages? :ohdear:

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Actually, if I recall correctly it is explicitly stated in the Bible that after death you are no longer married in any kind of afterlife. That's actually something that is internally consistent wrt Christian dogma.

I think that the actual part that comes from was somebody asking Jesus if I marry somebody and they die and then I marry somebody else afterwards who will be my spouse in heaven, to which the response was neither.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Griefor posted:

Holy poo poo. Is that even legal? I suppose it is if you've found someone dumb enough to sign a contract that says "We can charge 5% of your total investment as a fee to rebalance at our discretion whenever we feel like it in addition to the usurious fees we are already charging you" but goddamn.

It is and it is how Edward Jones and other shady brokers make a lot of their money.

They charge "Front Load Fees" every time you buy a new asset and they also "re-balance" your funds every so often.

https://www.edwardjones.com/disclosures/account-fees/ej-compensation-fees.html

quote:

How are we paid for our services?

The mutual fund company pays Edward Jones a commission at the time you make your investment based upon the sales charge you pay and also ongoing distribution and/or service fees (12b-1 fees) that are paid out of fund assets.

For purchases of Class A shares for equity mutual funds, you will generally pay a sales charge between 4.25% and 5.75%, and for fixed income mutual funds a sales charge between 2.25% and 4.75%, before any applicable discounts or breakpoints.

Edward Jones has A LOT of extra fees even beyond the insane 3% per year expense ratio and 5.75% front load fees. They also have "Back End Fees" that they charge when you sell as well.

quote:

Account Service and Maintenance Fees

Dividend Reinvestments - 2% of reinvestment amount
Systematic purchase of stocks - 2% of invested amount ($5.00 minimum)
Edward Jones Money Market Fund Investment Management Fee - $3.00 per month
Transfer on Death Agreement - $300
Fees based on the value of your assets in our advisory programs

We act as an agent for most stock transactions. When we act as an agent, you pay a commission based on the amount of the transaction. In a Select Account, the commissions on trades for common or preferred stocks may be up to 2.5% of the principal amount or a $50 minimum commission. The commission charge could be reduced based upon the principal amount of the trade and may be as low as 0.5% plus $705 for trades of a principal amount of $100,000 or more. In addition to a commission, Edward Jones generally charges a $4.95 transaction fee when you buy or sell stock.

Your financial advisor receives a percentage of the commissions you pay to buy or sell stock. In addition, our revenue affects Edward Jones’ overall profitability and thus may affect any branch bonus your financial advisor receives.

Edward Jones Mutual Funds also require a variable back-end load, which is paid by deducting it from profits or principal when the investor sells the investment. This fee structure varies by investment and is generally identical to the front load rate of the investment.

Edward Jones Annuities

The insurance company pays Edward Jones a commission at the time you make your investment and typically ongoing trail commissions. The trail commissions are composed of fees and charges imposed under the variable annuity contract, the separate accounts and other sources. Trail commissions are generally 0.25% but are higher for certain share classes.For a new purchase of a variable annuity, you will pay a commission of 5.00% unless you qualify for a breakpoint discount.

In addition to sales charges, variable annuities have ongoing operating expenses that reduce your investment returns. These expenses “pay” the insurance benefit fees, administrative fees, distribution and marketing fees, investment management fees and securities transaction fees. There may also be an additional ongoing expense to add an optional benefit to the contract, such as a withdrawal benefit or an enhanced death benefit.

For certain variable annuities, when you make an additional contribution to your contract, you pay a front- end sales charge which is deducted from your investment amount.

Your financial advisor receives a percentage of the commissions and also a portion of any ongoing trail commissions paid to Edward Jones by the insurance company. The trail commissions are composed of fees and charges imposed under the variable annuity contract, the separate accounts and other sources.

IRA Management Fees

Depending on what you buy or sell, you may pay commissions, markups or markdowns, sales charges and/or administrative fees. The investments within your IRA may also have ongoing expenses such as distribution and/or service fees (12b-1 fees), and trail and renewal commissions that reduce your investment returns. Edward Jones receives a portion of these ongoing payments. If your IRA holds mutual fund investments or variable annuities, Edward Jones receives shareholder accounting or networking fees and inforce contract service fees.

A contingent deferred sales charge will apply if you sell these investments within a certain time frame. Please see your prospectus or offering document for more information. Your investments may also have ongoing operating expenses including investment management fees or other fees. Details on the operating expenses are in each underlying investment’s prospectus or offering document.

We charge a one-time setup fee of $150 for plans for which Edward Jones provides plan installation services and ongoing custodial services, as well as an annual recurring fee of $30. We charge separate transaction fees for additional activities, including adoption agreement amendments, participant loans, benefit payments, transferring or closing accounts and holding assets that are not publicly traded, if applicable.

In addition, depending on which Edward Jones solution you choose to invest in, you may either be charged asset-based fees, or you will pay transaction-based fees and charges when you buy or sell investments.

At certain investment levels, typically $1 million, your investments with an individual product partner provider may carry no sales charges. However, in these instances, the mutual fund or insurance company will pay Edward Jones a commission on these investments. A contingent deferred sales charge will apply if you sell these investments within a certain time frame.

For bonds, the commission or markup may be up to 2% of the dollar amount you purchase, and the commission or markdown may be up to .75% of the dollar amount you sell. Depending on the principal amount of the trade and the maturity date, you may pay a lower commission or markup/markdown rate. In addition to these costs, you also pay a $4.95 transaction fee per trade for most buy and sell trades in your account.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Aug 27, 2020

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

It is and it is how Edward Jones and other shady brokers make a lot of their money.

They charge "Front Load Fees" every time you buy a new asset and they also "re-balance" your funds every so often.

https://www.edwardjones.com/disclosures/account-fees/ej-compensation-fees.html

Edward Jones has A LOT of extra fees even beyond the insane 3% per year expense ratio and 5.75% front load fees. They also have "Back End Fees" that they charge when you sell as well.

:stare:

This is insane to me. Imagine how much they'd have to outperform the market to beat the fees. I can't imagine what the yearly meeting they have with their customers must be like, when they compare how they did versus how the market did.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Residency Evil posted:

This is insane to me. Imagine how much they'd have to outperform the market to beat the fees. I can't imagine what the yearly meeting they have with their customers must be like, when they compare how they did versus how the market did.

Back when I was a cop about 15 years ago, I had an EJ employee file a report when he received death threats from an irate customer for what the customer perceived as churning his account for exorbitant fees.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
also part of "til death do us part" is that usually both partners don't die at the same time. one is in heaven and one is still on earth and therefore separated

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Tyro posted:

Back when I was a cop about 15 years ago, I had an EJ employee file a report when he received death threats from an irate customer for what the customer perceived as churning his account for exorbitant fees.

So did you arrest him?

The EJ employee, that is.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

DaveSauce posted:

So did you arrest him?

The EJ employee, that is.

No, but I did tell the customer how to file a regulatory complaint.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Residency Evil posted:

As an authorized salesman of the Edward Jones Corporation, let me tell you why it's worth it. We are an independent advisory firm that acts in the best interest of our clients. We do not believe in a set it and forget approach to money management and will customize a portfolio to your specific needs. We actively manage your portfolio to achieve maximum returns while limiting your downside risk. Proactive money management is vital to ensuring that your wealth continues to grow.

Yes, there are fees. But, if you only invest in increments of $1M and above, then your fees can be as low as 0.5% + $795. Investing is hard and keeping up with the daily ebb and flow of the market is stressful. You pay your mechanic to manage your car and your pharmacist to manage your prescriptions in order for you to not have to worry. However, not everyone is sure of where their money should be invested, or how much to invest, and ultimately when they should sell. Our investment advisors have extensive experience in the investment industry.

Many companies just offer one or two services for money management. We offer comprehensive services that are custom for each client. You've worked hard to earn your money and we can make your money work hard for you.

Many of our clients are executives or owners of their own business - that means they are smart and rich. You are smart and rich as well, right? You may be a simple member of the hoi polloi, but our financial advisors can help shed light on this complex issue and ensure you're aware of what you need to be doing now to enjoy a financially-sound retirement. If you lose money, well that's the stock market! If you make money, then we did our job and you wouldn't have been able to do it without us.

Don't rely on other companies for money management. Trust our competent and expert wealth advisors to help you succeed.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

As an authorized salesman of the Edward Jones Corporation, let me tell you why it's worth it. We are an independent advisory firm that acts in the best interest of our clients. We do not believe in a set it and forget approach to money management and will customize a portfolio to your specific needs. We actively manage your portfolio to achieve maximum returns while limiting your downside risk. Proactive money management is vital to ensuring that your wealth continues to grow.

Yes, there are fees. But, if you only invest in increments of $1M and above, then your fees can be as low as 0.5% + $795. Investing is hard and keeping up with the daily ebb and flow of the market is stressful. You pay your mechanic to manage your car and your pharmacist to manage your prescriptions in order for you to not have to worry. However, not everyone is sure of where their money should be invested, or how much to invest, and ultimately when they should sell. Our investment advisors have extensive experience in the investment industry.

Many companies just offer one or two services for money management. We offer comprehensive services that are custom for each client. You've worked hard to earn your money and we can make your money work hard for you.

Many of our clients are executives or owners of their own business - that means they are smart and rich. You are smart and rich as well, right? You may be a simple member of the hoi polloi, but our financial advisors can help shed light on this complex issue and ensure you're aware of what you need to be doing now to enjoy a financially-sound retirement. If you lose money, well that's the stock market! If you make money, then we did our job and you wouldn't have been able to do it without us.

Don't rely on other companies for money management. Trust our competent and expert wealth advisors to help you succeed.

reported

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
Source your quotes

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

I'm sorry my eyes glazed over. A front end 5% load sounds fine.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

"Third wife" is a concept that should just not exist.
*stares angrily in mormon*

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

You may be a simple member of the hoi polloi
BWM: investing with anyone who doesn't know that "the hoi polloi" is as redundant as "with au jus"

only invest with financial advisors who majored in linguistics

edit: although the wikipedia page for it cracks me up every time cause someone literally put this in there:

quote:

Some linguists argue that, given that hoi is a definite article, the phrase "the hoi polloi" is redundant, akin to saying "the the masses". Others argue that this is inconsistent with other English loanwords.[11] The word "alcohol", for instance, derives from the Arabic al-kuhl, al being an article, yet "the alcohol" is universally accepted as good grammar.[12]
:goonsay:

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

DACK FAYDEN posted:

edit: although the wikipedia page for it cracks me up every time cause someone literally put this in there:

:goonsay:

That person should be drug out in the street and shot.

You've reminded me of the Maize article.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Staying at my inlaws, and my father in law is getting into a different moneymaking scheme, this time becoming an insurance/annuity salesman. I asked how it was going.

Him: "Do you know the story about how bamboo grows?"
Me: "Oh, like how it grows everywhere and you can't stop it from getting into your neighbor's yards unless you put a concrete barrier five feet down into the soil?"
Him: "No, like the story of bamboo."
Me: ...
Him: "To get bamboo to grow, you have to plant the seed in special dirt and water it and water it, and fertilize it. For five years. And then in the fifth year, it shoots up 90 feet! So it's like, now, I'm planting the seed and getting everything ready, and then BAM, just like that. But you have to be patient before you see results."

Anyway, I looked it up and it actually takes 2 weeks for bamboo seeds to germinate. And most nurseries actually grow them from rhizomes, and not seeds at all, because seedlings are generally weaker and don't survive as well. Which I think really completes the metaphor accurately in this case. So that's The Story of Bamboo.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

DACK FAYDEN posted:

BWM: investing with anyone who doesn't know that "the hoi polloi" is as redundant as "with au jus"
I have never seen a menu in my life that has gotten "au jus" correctly and it bothers me more than it should. I love a good french dip.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
My boss makes me call it a HOT water heater in my reports and it similarly kills me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Im constantly forced to write about how we have an unreliable testing procedure for our code so it might work and it might not like that's not just how most code bases are.

:negative: